How did everyone get so much WXP?

in WvW

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

Hi All,
I see a lot of talk about getting pips for the WvW Skirmish Tickets, but personally I’m constantly surprised by the players who have really high ranks and WXP.

I’ve been using Celebration Boosts, Guild tavern 10% WXP boost and the occasional field XP banner but at best, even with putting in the hours (both before and after patch) to reach the diamond pip chests I’m still only netting around 200 ranks per month.

Was ranking up significantly quicker in Edge of the Mists? I do pretty well every night, tagging plenty, capturing plenty and getting reward tracks too, but I feel for anyone starting out now to try and reach ranks 1500-2000 for the WvW Legendary armor.

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

The simple answer is that they play more than you. Hours in → ranks out. People that have more time to play will end up at a higher rank, it’s pretty straightforward.

in WvW

biofrog.1568

The simple answer is that they play more than you. Hours in -> ranks out. People that have more time to play will end up at a higher rank, it’s pretty straightforward.

That’s a lot of game time

For me to get to the diamond chests, before this latest patch, was around 25 hours per week. So to get those higher ranks I guess you really would be doing a 40 hour week in World v World only. Include those who have 8-10k rank, or even 5k+ and you would have been in WvW for 40 hours a week for the last few years!

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I’ve been using Celebration Boosts, Guild tavern 10% WXP boost and the occasional field XP banner but at best, even with putting in the hours (both before and after patch) to reach the diamond pip chests I’m still only netting around 200 ranks per month.

I’m around 3450

I’ve been playing WvW since launch and bought a ton of extra character slots over the years, I’m sitting at 51 at the moment and have a strong enough bday booster income to effectively run 100% birthday booster uptime. I also use +wxp guildflask and the occasional +xp booster. Mind that the field XP flag doesn’t actually increase your WXP.

Really it’s just over the timescale of the 4-5 years that the game has been out, people have put in a ton of time. You say 200 ranks a month; if you had been playing for four years, you’d already be near the rank cap.

There were some other things you could do in the past that would get you solid ranks. You could farm EotM previously and get good ranks out of it, but that’s not really the case nowadays (and obviously if you’re after pips, this is a waste of time). You could also buy WvW ranks directly using laurels (mind you can still do this by buying XP laurel boosters).

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Hi, I would recommend the following if you have access to them:

• Celebration/Birthday Booster (100%)
  • XP Booster (100%)
  • Guild Buff (10%)
  • WXP Booster (50% stacks with others, no longer available but “Mini WXP Booster” still exists via levelling up a new character)
  • Being near Guild Objective Aura II (10%)
  • Outnumbered (25%)

Since the nerf (long ago) to EOTM XP gain etc I doubt that place rewards as much WXP as it used to and with the recent addition to WvW rewards it is commonly a lot less populated. I highly suggest sticking to real WvW and be present for reset day since a lot of stuff is paper and there’s plenty of bags to be had by enemy players in zerg collisions. Tag up in quiet hours when no one else will; it helps your server out and shows you have initiative to command even when there may not be as many players. You’ll be assaulting/capping enemy objectives in no time with the help of server mates if you play it right.

EDIT: Additionally, there are some players who play longer than you might so perhaps they rake in more WXP etc.

in WvW

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Wvwers have been playing wvw off and on for the past 4 years. Most player get around 1.5 wvw rank per hour without boosters/guild buff. All of those high rank wvwer (2k rank) have been playing wvw for at least 2hrs every day for 2yrs or more. You can hit 2k rank in a year if you play ~4hr of wvw a day for a year or go hardcore playing 8hrs of wvw a day for 6 months.

You can rank up faster in Eotm since it is a K-train map. If I remember correctly you should get around 2.5 wxp lvl a hr? Its been years since I heard anyone talk about leveling in Eotm. Anyways the biggest issue will be tickets and you need to play normal wvw to get tickets not Eotm. To upgrade the wvw ascended gear to legendary you also need the wvw legendary insignia(1095 tickets) per armor piece. That going to take awhile for most players.

I would not be concerned with the final chest armor of the set (2k rank) but slowly work on the first set and the mats for the legendary gear IF you plan on playing wvw alot. You need to get the first ascended armor pieces before you can buy the prestige version of it or just settle on the first ascended armor and upgrade that to legendary. Either way the first ascended armor to legendary will cost 1260~1445 tickets per piece, while the prestige armor will cost 1650~2145 tickets per piece.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

(edited by Ulion.5476)

in WvW

biofrog.1568

You could also buy WvW ranks directly using laurels (mind you can still do this by buying XP laurel boosters).

Ahh this might be just the ticket I am after! I ran out of WvW XP boosters and Experience Boosters some time ago, but couldn’t find another way of getting them either. I’m currently sitting on 1,190 laurels though!

These, correct? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience_Booster_

Seems the Communial Boost bonfires are dead now (really ANet they were good & fun for everyone.. make them more available!) so I might start burning laurels

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

These, correct? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience_Booster_

Seems the Communial Boost bonfires are dead now (really ANet they were good & fun for everyone.. make them more available!) so I might start burning laurels

Yep, those are the right ones.

Also communal boost bonfires give you the old xp buff, not the new one, so you don’t get +wxp from it.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

Also, it’s not just the rank 1500 armor that upgrades. Any of the wvw ascended armors upgrade, which makes it have the same requirement time (roughly) as raiding.

Edit:
The following PvP and WvW ascended armor can be upgraded to allow stat swapping:
• Triumphant Hero’s Ascended Armor
• Mistforged Triumphant Hero’s Ascended Armor

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-and-PvP-Ascended-Armor-Upgrades

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

in WvW

biofrog.1568

Most player get around 1.5 wvw rank per hour without boosters/guild buff. All of those high rank wvwer (2k rank) have been playing wvw for at least 2hrs every day for 2yrs or more. You can hit 2k rank in a year if you play ~4hr of wvw a day for a year or go hardcore playing 8hrs of wvw a day for 6 months.

Ok cool, I think that corroborates what I’ve been seeing, so it really is just a lot of time spent in WvW.

Anyways the biggest issue will be tickets and you need to play normal wvw to get tickets not Eotm. To upgrade the wvw ascended gear to legendary you also need the wvw legendary insignia(1095 tickets) per armor piece. That going to take awhile for most players.

I see it the other way around though.. If we get 365 tickets per week (post-patch) and each armor piece takes up to 1095+700+350 = 2145 for the coat (being most expensive) then that is 5.8 weeks for the pips required to buy a piece. 6 pieces of armor then being around 35 weeks. Meanwhile as you say, it’s going to take a year (52 weeks) to reach 2k rank when playing 4 hours a day, so it’s more likely the slower requirement is the 2k rank.

Of course you can gate the rank yourself, by playing more than 4 hours a day.. but that’s still a significant time investment

in WvW

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

Read this thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-and-PvP-Ascended-Armor-Upgrades

Both the ranked and unranked ascended items upgrade to legendary.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

in WvW

biofrog.1568

Read this thread:

Both the ranked and unranked ascended items upgrade to legendary.

That certainly negates the Rank 1500-2000 requirement, thanks. So the T2 350 ticket version can also be upgraded to legendary.. interesting. I have 2,255 skirmish tickets currently, so by my understanding I could go buy a piece already!

in WvW

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

200 ranks a month is a lot actually. I’ve been playing wvw more or less exclusively since launch and I’m around 750. Of course, ranks were only introduced later.

I guess the OS farming exploit had a good few people power level, but apart from that what you’re looking at are players who played wvw for years.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

You could also buy WvW ranks directly using laurels (mind you can still do this by buying XP laurel boosters).

Ahh this might be just the ticket I am after! I ran out of WvW XP boosters and Experience Boosters some time ago, but couldn’t find another way of getting them either. I’m currently sitting on 1,190 laurels though!

The buying of XP or Rank boosters from Laurel merchants was discontinued after the release of HoT.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Ranking up is slow. It wasn’t that fast in EotM either and often in EotM you did stand in 4 hours in own keep because didn’t wanna give annoying enemies cap.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Ranking up is slow. It wasn’t that fast in EotM either and often in EotM you did stand in 4 hours in own keep because didn’t wanna give annoying enemies cap.

You obviously weren’t following the right Commanders back then. When EoTM was still giving good XP and Rank we actually used to leave the opposing sides Catapults untouched after taking over a structure, since we wanted it flipped back to them as quickly as possible so as to keep the K train going !

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

The buying of XP or Rank boosters from Laurel merchants was discontinued after the release of HoT.

No, you can still buy XP boosters.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

I was over 2500 rank before they announced pips. I am in WvW 90% of my game time as that is what I enjoy the most. I rarely use boosts. The only boost is the WxP from the Guild Hall. I finished Diamond last night. I pushed pretty hard though Saturday night. Plus after my Guilds rally (11 pm est – 12:30 ) the DBL became outnumbered so I played an additional two hours.

Best thing to do is find the outnumbered map and stay active in it. Also do not announce it to the whole world lol. If you link the outnumbered buff people will come running, and you will no longer be outnumbered lol.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

WOuld like some clarification on the laurel booster and wxp

1. When you transfer wvsw maps does the system reset your wxp rating? So its the same as if you died? So responding to ewp and other map attacks decreases ur wxp as well as destroying a full batch of ticks?

2. The laurel booster seems to apply the extra 50% wxp correctly. However it states +50% reward track progress, and during my playtime I noticed no differences in the amounts given for sentry/camp caps. Is it not working? Does +50% reward track progress refer to the total points given at the end of each tick, or does it refer to helping you fill your +195 bar to full so you hit full rewards faster? AKA if I’m full +195, and I equip the rewrd track progress +50%, I’m not earning +390 or whatever right?

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Hi All,
I see a lot of talk about getting pips for the WvW Skirmish Tickets, but personally I’m constantly surprised by the players who have really high ranks and WXP.

Was ranking up significantly quicker in Edge of the Mists? I do pretty well every night, tagging plenty, capturing plenty and getting reward tracks too, but I feel for anyone starting out now to try and reach ranks 1500-2000 for the WvW Legendary armor.

200 ranks/month
12 months/year
5 years since launch
200 × 60 = rank 12,000

People who’ve played a long time didn’t need to sustain that much rank gain to get really high ranks

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

1. When you transfer wvsw maps does the system reset your wxp rating? So its the same as if you died? So responding to ewp and other map attacks decreases ur wxp as well as destroying a full batch of ticks?

No. I am not sure what you are talking about, but no, you shouldn’t lose any kind of WXP when you transfer maps. The only thing in the game that would do this is if you move from an Outmanned map to another map.

2. The laurel booster seems to apply the extra 50% wxp correctly. However it states +50% reward track progress, and during my playtime I noticed no differences in the amounts given for sentry/camp caps. Is it not working? Does +50% reward track progress refer to the total points given at the end of each tick, or does it refer to helping you fill your +195 bar to full so you hit full rewards faster? AKA if I’m full +195, and I equip the rewrd track progress +50%, I’m not earning +390 or whatever right?

The points at the end of each tick. If you are +195 and you have WXP booster you’ll get +292. It doesn’t affect your participation gain.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

the way you rank fast is always be fighting always be cleaving.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

No. I am not sure what you are talking about, but no, you shouldn’t lose any kind of WXP when you transfer maps. The only thing in the game that would do this is if you move from an Outmanned map to another map.

The points at the end of each tick. If you are +195 and you have WXP booster you’ll get +292. It doesn’t affect your participation gain.

“No. I am not sure what you are talking about, but no” what am I even reading? how can you answer my question if you don’t know what I’m talking about…It defies all logic

And YOU are wrong on a part here. You lose all ur pips regardless of if your outnumberd or not. Changing maps excludes you from pips for 1 tick.

So I still need answers to the first part of my question som1. thxs

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: Anthony.7630

Anthony.7630

HERE IS THE SECRET – if you played in 2012 or 2013 (people in vanilla guild wars) they would use their luarals to buy kegs of wvw exp and get 1000s of ranks over a few days.

Anet removed the kegs of wvw exp so the veterans got to keep their ranks, but newer players have to grind the exp.

This is a fact, and not to many people know about this.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

As the first person said, it’s mostly about play time.

I’ve been playing for nearly 4 years and up until last year, I didn’t have a job. So I was playing about 8 hours a day during that time. I’m still playing around 5 – 6 hours a day on days I work and around 8 when I’m not (mind you it’s usually 2 – 3 hours at a time, not all at once).

If you’re constantly on the move like I am, you can gain a good deal of WXP just by always being present for captures. Commanders who are very PPT focused, especially on off hours, are also a big part of fast rank gain.

I’m less than 50 ranks from 9,000 right now and that has been with probably an average of 7 hours of WvW a day for 3.10 years. But I know there are a number of other players who are max rank (10k) that have played less than I have just by strictly zerging. I don’t strictly zerg so my rank gains are slower. In fact, I used to be top 20 in the world but have since fallen to #31 because I actually leave the house sometimes, lol.

Just sharing some info for your interest.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

HERE IS THE SECRET – if you played in 2012 or 2013 (people in vanilla guild wars) they would use their luarals to buy kegs of wvw exp and get 1000s of ranks over a few days.

Anet removed the kegs of wvw exp so the veterans got to keep their ranks, but newer players have to grind the exp.

This is a fact, and not to many people know about this.

I have played since launch, but I did not even know about the laurel thing until after they changed it lol. I am almost at 3k now because all I really ever play is WvW.

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

And YOU are wrong on a part here. You lose all ur pips regardless of if your outnumberd or not. Changing maps excludes you from pips for 1 tick.

??

No it doesn’t. You won’t get pips if the tick happens while you are changing maps but this is because while you are changing maps your character isn’t technically on a map.

I’m confused by the question because I have no idea what you’re talking about. What is “WXP rating”? Why do you say it’s related to dying, when dying has no impact on your WXP? Responding to EWPs doesn’t cause you to lose WXP nor does it cause you to skip a tick’s worth of pips? The only thing you ‘lose’ is participation when you die, WP to another map, or whatever, but that’s not because you’re doing those actions; it’s because you’re not continuing to do activities that maintain your participation.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)

in WvW

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

The first year of EotM was absolutely insane for wxp. People on green side were making 30-50 lvls per day for running in circles. It was way too rewarding and the nerf came too late.

There was also a lot more karma training going on in WvW, back in the day. No such thing as siege disablers, auto upgrades, structural invulnerability, hardened fortifications, watchtower, you get the drift. Massive golem rushes on enemy objectives were the norm on some servers. Matches were even more lopsided than now which means that most of the objectives were paper(T0), so very easy to take.

And liquid xp from laurel vendor.

(edited by Kraljevo.2801)

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

By playing wvw, you end up leveling up eventually. Persistence and time.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Also, man siege, especially catapults. Knocking down walls on towers is WXP equal to 30-45 percent of the tower itself (15-22.5 percent of a keep).