How do you show that you enjoyed the fight?

in WvW

Posted by: enkidu.5937

enkidu.5937

Hey Guys,

i enjoy our WvW so much! Because each encounter is totally unique, compared to the last one or any others before, be it as part of a zerg or when you are roaming alone.

I generally like to roam, more than zerging, because i am not participating in the TS. And thus, from time to time i undergo draws, be it at one-on-ones or one-on-XY trying to kill a Dolyak for example.

Before i leave a hopelessly drawn battle i would very much like to leave a note for my opponent(s): that the fight was fun for me and that i admire their fighting style i couldnt overcome at last! So what are my options?

Just some recent examples of mine:

Yesterday i (Riverside) fought a Guardian (Drakkar Lake) at his north camp, i enjoyed the fight but when it became clear that it would be a neverending draw i just ran away, he then sent me an „invitation“. Should i ve accepted it? (i declined)

After this i approached a Drakkar-Lake thief near the western Drakkar tower and struggled with him for like ten minutes. After killing a Dolyak and the sentry at the flag this one thief managed to down me before i could capture the flag (just for fun, hehe). He did not stomp me, but took some distance and bowed, i decided not to revive myself but instead take my own death and thus give him the WvW-reward and loot-bag he deserved . . . at least.

I really would have made these players know that it was a pleasure for me!

So how can i tell my foes that it was a pleasure to fight against them?

What if i am already downed? (thus i cannot bow)

What if there are multiple foes and i fear to be killed if i just stand still and bow myself?

What if we go zerg vs. zerg and i want to express my recognition to the hostile zerg?

I would really like to know how you guys are handling this!

Btw: What do you think about if ArenaNet would implement a fixed chat-message (to avoid any insults) that we can send to our opponents on a particular chat-channel, like „This fight streches me to the limit, thank you.“ It really annoys me not to be able to communicate with the other two worlds at all.

PS: my self-introduction: i mostly like to roam because i am not participating in TS, i started with Guardian, then switched to Warrior, actually i am trying Thief with a somehow dodge+evade+condition build.

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

You can invite the player and if they accept, you can chat it up. Zerg fights most people just go to the match up thread and say something like “Great fight with [???] at bay…” with your own flavor and what not.

For really really good 1v1s I normally won’t stomp them and maybe /bow or /sit next to them. Maybe they are up for another fight. Also this is how I’v met most people that play on other servers.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

/emote “text”
is visible to anyone (also opponents) in range,
but I’ve no idea if you can use it downed or dead.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Raptured.9307

Raptured.9307

Don’t /laugh or /dance on their body, for starters.

Rank 37 spvp, dungeon master
[HL] Deadly Protection @ Sanctum of Culling

in WvW

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

Very classy, enkidu!

When you lose a fight, there really isn’t any way to demonstrate that you enjoyed it. You can try to party up with people and let them know, but I typically won’t go that far. They’ve already bested me, and I like to think fighting the death demonstrates that I respected their playstyle.

When winning a fight, I always go for the /bow emote. It a humble way of accepting victory, and lets your opponent know you fought well. Always avoid /laugh and /dance as those are often insulting.

When I come across my own teammates that are doing work (such as capping a camp as I show up, or refreshing siege in keeps), I use /salute. Typing it into map chat is nice, but for whatever reason, I like the emote better. It shows I’m appreciative of their work without having to get too wordy. (Especially when I’m commanding. I have to type a lot as it is!)

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

in WvW

Nikked.7365

/emote “text”

I’ve seen people on my server use this, and I’ve heard the opposing server can see it, but I’ve never actually seen anyone on the opposing server use it. I always questioned whether or not the /emote actually makes it into an opponent’s chatbox.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

I once fought a fellow Mesmer and it was a long, glorious fight. He killed me eventually, then very respectfully bowed over my corpse. Although it could be interpreted as taunting, I’ve been doing it in WvW after good fights.

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Rosy.5194

Rosy.5194

/emote “text”

I’ve seen people on my server use this, and I’ve heard the opposing server can see it, but I’ve never actually seen anyone on the opposing server use it. I always questioned whether or not the /emote actually makes it into an opponent’s chatbox.

Sort of.

The opposing server just sees “X gestures.” They don’t see the specific emote text.

Rosy Dawn – [CNB]

in WvW

Posted by: MikeB.3857

MikeB.3857

I just keep moving and tell TS that I had a good fight.

Revered – [REVD]
Maizen Blue – Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Caliban.3176

Caliban.3176

This is a good question. Maybe they could add some kind of emote that only works if you are dead and causes a flower to grow on your body. /push daisy (Maybe even add a colour to the flowers to relay different emotions).

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net
7.2k+ hours played on Minesweeper

in WvW

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

I’ve used /salute a couple times after a good fight, if opponents are still on the ground. I also use it to emote intent to ceasefire in JPs.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

in WvW

Posted by: Frosch.7809

Frosch.7809

I have been playing WvW for only a few days now, and my experiences are quite different from what i read in this thread. My servers 2 opponents not only mostly ignore each other in our Borderlands and only attack us, but they only fight when they have numerical superiority. I have given up on running around on my own or fighting fairly. Never saw them show any respect in any way, so i do not show them any either. And i see it as legitimate to do to them what they do to me, dance on corpses and laugh. This is what i have learned in WvW, expect no mercy and show none. So, no need for a tool to show respect to a fallen opponent. I have none.

[Yak’s Bend]

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

If you want to taunt someone, I use /laugh. I use that when I was harassed by players I was trying to avoid and they chased after me and I killed them. I use /bow before a fight if I was avoiding someone and they keep following me at range… so I stop and /bow as a threat to let them know if they don’t move away I will fight them. Id certainly agree they could work on this a bit and make them a bit more relevant.

in WvW

Nikked.7365

/emote “text”

Sort of.

The opposing server just sees “X gestures.” They don’t see the specific emote text.

Thanks for the clarification! My assumption was that they could not see specific text in /emote. It seems to go against not being able to talk to them in the first place.

I have seen “X gestures.” from opposing servers before; I just didn’t know what that meant. This clears it up.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: ErlendR.6107

ErlendR.6107

If u win dont finish him and /bow
If u r down and he /bow, just get up and /bow too ><
U dont need invite him, /bow is enough.
But if u r a wvwer and u roam pretty much u will see him often and eventualy one of u will invite the other one.
And if that is the case tell him if ur zerg is comin ><
And remember, not everybody like to talk, or have manners. Just ignore those.
Sry eng D:

Proud ex-Kaineng T8 best server ever vs DR & FC
FC
Retired

in WvW

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

And how exactly do you invite someone from a different server? Ive tried but can’t >.<

in WvW

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

you target them, left click or what not, and then iirc, hit “p”, and it should automatically party invite them.

someone do correct me if i am wrong! i haven’t done it in a while.

often i’ve had decent 1v1’s, it always ends in either myself or the other guy getting rolled by a roaming mini (or LARGE) zerg on either side. all cases, we’ve stuck around and chatted for a bit, talked about gear, builds, how to fight each other better, what was frustrating abotu the fight, lol. always good times. : )))

props, OP!

i’ll alwys accept an invitation.. if they flame you, just move along, no need to retaliate. i want to say more cases than not though, from my own experience, it’s a friendly invite : ))

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Don’t /laugh or /dance on their body, for starters.

This. I have only had the misfortune of having that happen too me twice. Both times I though it was the height of rudeness. As a necro I currently have a hard enough time disengaging from a solo thief let alone a pair of them and for both times having this done to me by thieves tells me volumes about their character.

As for when i see/have a good fight with an opponent, I usually just give a /bow to them as I depart; if i win of course.

in WvW

Posted by: DanyK.3842

DanyK.3842

I only finish off players that jump me or run. If you approach someone you /bow. If they run: kill, loot, /no to show your disapproval to their cowardness. If a fight drags along for too long I tend to stop, /bow and move along. If he still attacks me I use /no. If he’s still on me that means he wants to die. Players often get greedy at this point and use their cooldowns
If they fight and I down them I /bow and leave. If they don’t get it and still attack me I go /sleep next to their bodies. (Do not try against angry german warriors). If a group of upscaleds or PvE players jump me I type /no showing them I do not want to make them look silly. If they fight (and they do) I murder them all and in the thrill of the kills I spam every possible emote on their bodies. Running around picking loot bags at a slow phase can also annoy people.
Finally if I 1v1 and the enemy team zergs me I go mist form (if on ele) and type /no then I run. I also /no if a zerg jumps me and I get downed after using skill2.

Sir Dany | Twitch
110k WvW kills | Champion Legionnaire, Paragon |

in WvW

Posted by: Aneirin Cadwall.9126

Aneirin Cadwall.9126

I usually /cheer @ mid-fight and hope they know I’m not patronizing them or mocking what they’re doing. I /bow @ when the fight is over if it ends in a stalemate or if I win. If I die, I try to target them and /join or /invite because it’s the only way to communicate at that point. ;p

Men who achieve some power desire more until they destroy themselves trying to get it.—Turai Ossa
Sanctum of Rall since beta 3. Mesmer since 1070 AE

in WvW

Posted by: Estus.1726

Estus.1726

I respectfully collect all those ugly loot bags that are littering the area. :-)

If I really enjoyed a massive battle, I may congratulate everyone on /map then I move on and let the dead bury the dead.

The people that feel they have to /laugh or /dance or some other taunting emote obviously have the maturity of a Sophomore in HS. It only reflects poorly on their server and is tacky.

[RE] Isendale – Tarnished Coast
“Did you see that? Tell me you saw that!”