How does WvW workds?

How does WvW workds?

in WvW

Posted by: yghtim.2197

yghtim.2197

Hey, can someone plz explain to me how WvW actuly works?

I now that you go as an army, and take controll over castles n stuff.

But how do we win or loose? and what happends?

Also, if i join Mist War and there is no commander. how do i find the pack?
Is there a way to see them? or should i just stand and do nothing until a commander joins?

Ty in advance!

How does WvW workds?

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

WvW is like the old game of Go.

You want to conquer and hold as much territory as possible.
Each objective is worth a set number of points, and score is calculated at the end of every 15 minutes.

Your score accumulates over the week. (This is why WvW is a Coverage game, by coverage i mean having available players in each part of the world, being North America, Australia, Asia, and Europe)

If you win – Nothing happens. You gain a small fraction of a global world buff, which you can see in the WvW panel.

If you loose – Nothing happens. You do not gain the small global world buff.

The Servers you are matched against are decided by Glicko Rating, which is a numeric value assigned to the server based on your performance in WvW. If you want to fight new servers, you need to manipulate your glicko rating through performance.

IF there is no commander, you should talk to the map in /m or /t. Ask who is around, what people are doing. Commanders are not required for success in WvW, and often guilds will be operating on a map without a commander being present.

WvW is open to a variety of different play styles, from Roaming alone or in small groups (less than 5) taking small objectives like camps, mercenaries and possibly towers. Your normal roamer is using a burst, high damage build or condition build. These folks flip your world’s camps and kill stragglers who stray too far from the comfort of the zerg.

There’s also zerging, which is any party of players larger than 10-12. Normally these are led by a commander ( Commanders don’t always run with a commander tag, so be ready to follow someone with a Ctrl+ T) They will have a balance of high damage builds(normally light armor classes) and full support builds (on heavily armored classes) and they take larger structures, like keeps and Stonemist Castle.

If there is no commander, again, ask in the map and in /t.

If you can’t find friends, try to fight an enemy supply camp and flip it. Kill the scouts first (kittens aoe and projectile blind) and then dealing with the rest of the guards will be easy.

Not sure what community you’re in, so I cant give you more specific advice.

How does WvW workds?

in WvW

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

I find observation to be vital in both games. But that could be derivative of my pedagogy. Welcome and Best of Luck!

How does WvW workds?

in WvW

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

The first time I decided to go to wvw, I went to my world’s borderland and started to do map completion while reading map/team chat. Then I watched this video because I was curious too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Mwats025Q

How does WvW workds?

in WvW

Posted by: Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

As we are in the middle of the tournament, and since the 9/9 patch, commander tags have become a wee bit more complex. For someone new to WvW, follow these steps and you should be fine:

1. Find out if your World has a common forum that you can join (eg: SFR is www.pevepe.net; Desolation is www.desospeak.com), join it and introduce yourself. There will be a process of verification, normally involving being on a WvW map and identifying yourself.
  2. Download and install your World’s preferred VOIP client (TS3 or mumble), get verified (again .. dem spies!), and listen to the chatter. No need to talk .. but vital for communications to listen. This is how you find out what’s going on, more often than not.
  3. Keep your eye on the map chat, team chat and say chat .. more info goes there, but since these are visible to spies who may not have got themselves verified on VOIP, most die-hards are more wary of where the action is.
  4. Check the protocol your World has chosen for commander colours. I suspect that most worlds have chosen Blue tag to be open map tag (everyone welcome), Red tag to be a closed raid (guild or otherwise – generally they will not want tag-along PUGs – respect that), and the other 2 colours indicating anything from snipe teams, havoc squads and scouts. Generally, you’ll be looking for the blue tag, but in the absence of a blue, check if there’s a yellow or purple tag that needs party members and ask to join them.
  5. If you’ve spent most of your time in PvE, you may not have suitable gear for WvW. As a rule of thumb, a good start point is getting PVT gear (easily obtainable with both Karma and Badges on the BLs).
  6. If you are not at level 80, be wary. You may get a bit of grief for being upscaled.. don’t let it get you down. You may want to consider EotM if upscaled .. this is a great place for EXP of both types. Just be aware that as an upscaled, you are less likely to be able to survive in battles, and can potentially rally enemy by dying at critical points during a fight, and turning the tide against your side. Rule of thumb is don’t be brave .. be the stomper on the outskirts of a fight.

Hope that helps and have fun!

Blood
(I have to know! In WvW, do Legendary NPCs drop Legendary loot?)

How does WvW workds?

in WvW

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Well to start with basics, make sure you know what color you are, which may change every Friday at reset time (I say may because sometimes you will end up the same color for several weeks in a row).

What server are you on? Perhaps someone from your server can go with you and show you around? I’d be happy to help you in game if you’re on Isle of Janthir

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)