How does one start WvW'ing?

in WvW

Posted by: Kayvaan.9863

Kayvaan.9863

Aside from clicking on the WvW tab and joining, what is stuff I should know, cause I join in and its barren, with maybe one group of ~15 people going in circles capping and re-capping places, wheres the keep assaults and all of that?

what classes are good in WvW?

What other stuff should I know?

in WvW

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

PvE zerker builds often lack sufficient sustain for WvW.

Bring condition clears

Be prepared to die….a lot. Dont be discouraged.

Watch your 6. There are stealthed enemies out there waiting to catch you unawares.

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Need to find a half decent commander/guild that wants to fight. The best way to do that is to follow the various commanders your server has. Then listen to the complaints, if people cry “zomg the Condi melts me!” Then get on an alt that can cover that weakness. If you are willing to adapt your play to serve the group then you will start to win more engagements. Encourage and cultivate this in your server mates and you will go far.

There is a reason I hate Condi reapers. They are completely worthless to fight alongside because all they do is build for damage and have zero group support. All they want is numbers and loot. Most don’t understand the importance of boon corrupts and most don’t run things like trooper runes or well of power because “it no do no big damage ROFL, I just smash mark buttons and I get loot ROFL, just healz me kk? ROFL”.

in WvW

Posted by: Kayvaan.9863

Kayvaan.9863

I see, I dont have many chars, only an engineer at lv 80, the rest are lowbies and so dont get a whole bunch of stuff. If you had to pick a class to compliment engineer, which one would it be (I still have the lvl 80 boost)

Also, are there any good builds for an engineer?

(edited by Kayvaan.9863)

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

a decent place to start is metabattle.com. builds may not be THE best, but give you a decent start point for your traits / gear / skills etc… It will also depend on if you plan to join the zerg, havoc in small groups, or solo roam.

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

Just play whatever you want. if you want to improve at WvW join a WvW guild that actively plays everyday.

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Aside from clicking on the WvW tab and joining, what is stuff I should know, cause I join in and its barren, with maybe one group of ~15 people going in circles capping and re-capping places, wheres the keep assaults and all of that?

step 1: get lvl 20 warrior
step 2: get full green armor,
step 3: get tier 3 participation by killing npc’s
step 4: afk your way to profit-town

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: lmaogg.7325

lmaogg.7325

I see, I dont have many chars, only an engineer at lv 80, the rest are lowbies and so dont get a whole bunch of stuff. If you had to pick a class to compliment engineer, which one would it be (I still have the lvl 80 boost)

Also, are there any good builds for an engineer?

Engineers are fine. Build wise totally depends on what you want to play as. Supportive can go alchemy HGH for boons. To start learning WvW, get teamspeak/discord etc depending on what your server uses, join a commander’s squad. Learn to listen to commands while having your own judgement as well.

in WvW

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Really?

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

What server are you on? Most have some sort of community set up that could help you get started and connect you with the appropriate folks.

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Really?

its a good starting point lol

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Unfortunately no one can be told what WvW is. You have to see it for yourself.

in WvW

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

The amount of people in wvw depends on the time of day and the server you are on. The high tier servers have a more active wvw playerbase. The time of day your server is normally active just depends on the various guilds and other wvwer playtimes. Some servers have a mostly morning wvw population while other could have a midday wvw population. The high tier server have a large wvw population so you see more of those big fights. Higher tiered server have a large queue throughout the day so they could be queue during your normal playtime.

Metabattle for builds. Since you are new, getting tanky gear(power/toughness/vitality)will prevent you from dieing a lot until you decide on a specific build you like. When you are solo you can flip camps, if you do not want to move around solo just follow someone, until you can get back to a commander. Wvw is jus topen world pvp without the balance gear/players of spvp.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

in WvW

Posted by: Azoricus.7409

Azoricus.7409

Well, if u haven’t yet, check out the sticky thread linked below.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-some-things-you-should-know

Then, as some1 pointed out, metabattle is a good place as any to start for builds although I strongly recomend that you look at those builds and then adapt them to your play style/ role you wish to preform in WvW. Also if you google up builds you will find some interesting theorycrafters out there that are worth taking a look at.

Next, I think every server has a WvW community with forum and TS, Discord or whatever. Join them, they will help you out A LOT. If you are really into WvW and want to make it your primary game mode, there are WvW dedicated guilds and you should try to join one of them. They will be the ones that will help the most with your questions, doubts, builds.

The last advice i can give you is: play the game mode for fun and as you want to. Try to be helpfull wether u zerg up or play smallscale and respect your fellow players.

It’s nearly impossible to condense the WvW experience in a single post or thread. We would be here all year. Don’t be discouraged if you’re a little bit lost at the beggining. You’ll get the hang of it sooner than later.

The [Kill] Bureaucrat – FSP

in WvW

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

The sticky thread is a good place to start

Never get discouraged till you get the hang of things, its really easy to die but don’t worry about it.

Listening on Teamspeak/Discord will be your best tip, it will help you survive much better and you will know what the com is planning, where to move, when to heal etc (mics are optional, i rarely ever use mine but always listen) which it turn will get you moar loot

Always join the squad if they have space.

Join a community guild for your server, eventually even think about moving server if you’re not getting what you would like from your current one

As for classes, blob fights always welcome revs, guards, necros and eles. If you want to roam, pick almost anything, there’s decent roaming builds for most classes.

Mostly just have fun and don’t worry too much about kitten

in WvW

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Use a build that can survive being beat on while putting out consistent/decent pressure. Be able to handle both conditions and power damage at roughly the same level.

Then, run around with a group. Expect to die a lot. Try to focus on not dying more than doing damage. Then when you are staying alive focus on increasing damage while not overextending.

Finally, if your class is able, do some small group roaming and learn to build for maximum defense/offense. This is class specific and may not be possible on all classes.

Overall, play the game, find a tag and focus on surviving. This is not a “fair” game mode. You will be outnumbered. You will die to focus fire from 10-30 people. You will hit people who appear to be immortal because they built themselves to be insanely resistant to damage. Don’t focus on them. Focus on you and on the goals you set for yourself (stay alive, capture the objectives and kill your enemies).

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator