How long until Anet admits it's mistake?

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow Gathering.5649

Shadow Gathering.5649

The WvW community hates the new maps. We told you we would during beta for a host of reasons.

Remember when fights happened on the borderlands? Remember when players cared about upgrading and defending and attacking stuff? I do.

So the question you should be asking yourself is how long will you keep the unpopular new maps before pulling the plug on failed content?

Rockrain
FA

in WvW

Posted by: antidote.7201

antidote.7201

I would be ready to pay again 50$ for an expansion that could bring back the old wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Twigifire.8379

Twigifire.8379

I would be ready to pay again 50$ for an expansion that could bring back the old wvw

Haha I’d do it to. This was Anets plan all along!

in WvW

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

I truly think that Anet has nerfed WvW for reasons similar to the Dungeons. Money. Or more specifically, the lack of money coming from WvW players.

As a long time, dedicated WvW player, one thing I notice (more so in hindsight) is that most of the people that I’ve played countless hours of WvW with aren’t really the ones who buy skins or knick knacks from the Store. Most of us are have settled on our looks long ago, and don’t really drag a lot of kites, balloons, minatures, etc. around with us when we play WvW.

It’s been ages since I actually bought something from Anet (excepting HoT) and yet I’ve played WvW for thousands of hours. I’m not the kind of customer that Anet needs.

in WvW

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

O geez! Don’t give’em any ideas!!!

Dunno what server you’re on, but the 2 servers mine is against seem to like flipping our stuff and defending theirs. Spend some time running around and familiarizing yourself with the map- it’s not THAT bad. But a lot of the population has been pulled away into the new raid, it would seem, so their participation in WvW hasn’t been what it used to be. But as I said, there ARE people playing on the new borderlands.

Oh, and when you check it out, try flipping an air shrine with your MF boosted- they drop charged lodestones. I’ve gotten 2 so far, and have seen several others get them from air shrines. Good luck!

in WvW

Shadow Gathering.5649

O geez! Don’t give’em any ideas!!!

Dunno what server you’re on, but the 2 servers mine is against seem to like flipping our stuff and defending theirs. Spend some time running around and familiarizing yourself with the map- it’s not THAT bad. But a lot of the population has been pulled away into the new raid, it would seem, so their participation in WvW hasn’t been what it used to be. But as I said, there ARE people playing on the new borderlands.

Oh, and when you check it out, try flipping an air shrine with your MF boosted- they drop charged lodestones. I’ve gotten 2 so far, and have seen several others get them from air shrines. Good luck!

The existing WvW population doesn’t care much about lodestones. A lodestone is a crappy pittance to get in exchange for a decent MMO pvp environment.

And the population has not been pulled away by raids. They have been pulled away by a poorly designed wvw map that no one cares about anymore. You’ll find them in different games, not in pve raids.

Rockrain
FA

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

It wont happen.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

Have you seen what a charged lodestone sells for on the TP lately?

Shadow, are you sure that’s it? Do you think the cost of leveling up scribe so we can build guild AC’s that cost about 10 gold worth of materials has anything to do with it? The fact that we can’t +5 a camp as easy as we used to, and had already unlocked that by spending influence and it is now behind a crafting wall, along with the vitality, toughness, and other boosts we’d built before? That we can only claim one objective PER GUILD, not per map like we used to, making our oh so expensive upgrades less effective?

Your signature says FA- I’m on Ehmry Bay. Your server helped me develop a love of WvW, so if you quit I have to honestly say I’ll miss you. We may have even killed each other on the field at some point and hooted at our team mates about it. Yeah, we agree we don’t like what Anet did, but I’m still running around the borderlands when I play, trying to learn all the spots for tricky cata placements that can hit outer and inner, where I can blink and where I can’t, where the AC needs to go and where it should never go, and the treb, and the bali, and the shield generator (which is actually kinda cool), and you sound like (not sure you’re still playing in the borderlands) you’ve given up. I have a favor to ask: please don’t give up. Come flip some camps, shrines, and keeps, but direct your outrage at the lousy way they designed scribe.

(edited by Sinbold.8723)

in WvW

Soon.5240

But most veteran WvW players don’t typically lack gold.

Everything that Anet does is to make money. Absolutely nothing wrong with this. It’s what every good business does. They aren’t running a charity.

WvW doesn’t make money for them, so it’s low priority. Always has been.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

You’ve got to get them to believe they made a mistake first.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I don’t think people hate the new map at all. I think people hate running around to find a fights and that can be resolved by a better waypoint system and server merges.

I think people were expecting a better reward/PPT system and are salty about the new map having been implemented without other core gameplay improvements.

in WvW

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

I don’t think people hate the new map at all. I think people hate running around to find a fights and that can be resolved by a better waypoint system and server merges.

I think people were expecting a better reward/PPT system and are salty about the new map having been implemented without other core gameplay improvements.

Rewarding is the Key for many, if the Borders are full you will find fights.

But what will WvW give you at the moment?

New Raid gives you ascended Items
PvE gives you ascended weapons for collections

In WvW? Nothing but one new mastery: Shieldgenerator

You cannot achieve a ascended item through WvW (with much luck maybe) nor have you something to work for in WvW if your masteries are still maxed.
The Exp you get in WvW dont count to Tyria Exp for Masteries and the shiny Exp which will be shown to you is useless.

Seems we must get use to it, that GW2 is more towards PvP and PvE (casual/raiding).

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in WvW

Soon.5240

Seems we must get use to it, that GW2 is more towards PvP and PvE (casual/raiding).

I believe GW2 is actually heading in the P2P (Pay to Play) direction. Someone correct me if I’m wrong —, but I believe you can now buy Ascended weapons and armor from Raid vendors? 20g each?

This explains the Damask Patch change to crafting Ascended items, the nerfing of Mat drops across PvE and Dungeons being tossed on the scrap pile.

Certainly new players will take one look at the grind need to craft Ascended and get out their credit cards….

Frankly, I don’t care if people can buy Ascended (or Legendary) items. My only concern is the funneling of people away from WvW to PvE and how that impacts WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I truly think that Anet has nerfed WvW for reasons similar to the Dungeons. Money. Or more specifically, the lack of money coming from WvW players.

As a long time, dedicated WvW player, one thing I notice (more so in hindsight) is that most of the people that I’ve played countless hours of WvW with aren’t really the ones who buy skins or knick knacks from the Store. Most of us are have settled on our looks long ago, and don’t really drag a lot of kites, balloons, minatures, etc. around with us when we play WvW.

It’s been ages since I actually bought something from Anet (excepting HoT) and yet I’ve played WvW for thousands of hours. I’m not the kind of customer that Anet needs.

There is a lot of truth in it. WvW players have other focus then shiny skins or dig in the gemstore. I think WvW is a huge amount of players and if you add the PvE players that go to WvW casual its maybe the largest part of players.
So WvW players would pay for things like strategic maps, guild expansions and gear that help in WvW. But they usually hate PvE grinding and pay to win systems.
So if you treat them like a PvE player you loose them. If you treat them like a PvP player they will get bored, because they are often players that construct and plan and like guilds. So they strongly like freedom in character building. The dont fiddle on their clothing they invest hours in cusomizing their stats.

So what can you give WvW players that they will pay for?

—> Fortress construction (a bit like guild halls upgrades). Would be a heavy to design module but unique and gorgeous. Crafting for diffrent parts. A complete build you castle as you want system. Details have to be specified would take a lot pages.

—> Siege weapon design. Construct your own blueprints and craft them.

Like PvE Players like to personalize their Look, WvW players will personalize their constructions. Wallpaints, diffrent bricks, roofs, palisades what ever you can imagine. Of course those things should use diffent resources, have diffrent toughness/HP but not to much. WvW players will build effective so invsting in hundreds diffrent pieces for the same thing would be lost effort 3-5 types and invest in customized paintings.

—> Guild upgrades. (This is already ongoing)

—> Diffrent Maps. Not to complicated, players must meet each other in resonable times and they must support a strong suply dependent system. If you do a large map you must put large reward for holding keeps/towers no one would normaly run to. E.g: a tower up at a mountain with a minute to run up would be intresting if there is a trebucet platform with range increase that fires at other keeps from above.

Also many WvW players would pay for good gear when he can skip PvE. Of course not to much. You won´t get a cent if buying an acended piece with gems costs 50$. Always remember the WvW player thinks more about what he is doing and he thinks efficient.
So its not the easiest group to deal with but you can get them pay :-).

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in WvW

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

So the question you should be asking yourself is how long will you keep the unpopular new maps before pulling the plug on failed content?

Out of experience: ~3 years. If at all…

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Out of experience: ~3 years. If at all…

Wrong question. I look for options like EB. I still like WvW. The thing for Anet is for what i will pay in the future. Does the map just keep me playing or am i hyped to invest money. Currently its no hype but i still like WvW romaing.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I believe GW2 is actually heading in the P2P (Pay to Play) direction. Someone correct me if I’m wrong —, but I believe you can now buy Ascended weapons and armor from Raid vendors? 20g each?

Can someone expand on this? Can we buy a vendor currency on the TP or something and use it to buy ascended?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

Maybe if anet allowed more of the toys to be used in WvW, we would spend more on gems.

I bought the water balloons, hoping for some water balloon fights in WvW, nope Anet have disabled toys in WvW.

You cant sell PvE only stuff to WvW players, and so WvW will not buy. Simple as.
We’ve also been telling anet this for years, add more WvW items to the gem store!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

Snip 8<

Snip 8<

Certainly new players will take one look at the grind need to craft Ascended and get out their credit cards….

I’m a Veteran WvW…and this would be very appealing for me.

It sucks to PvE to get Ascended gear.

Diku

in WvW

Posted by: Zioba.6182

Zioba.6182

Maybe if anet allowed more of the toys to be used in WvW, we would spend more on gems.

I bought the water balloons, hoping for some water balloon fights in WvW, nope Anet have disabled toys in WvW.

You cant sell PvE only stuff to WvW players, and so WvW will not buy. Simple as.
We’ve also been telling anet this for years, add more WvW items to the gem store!

I agree with that. O have that halloween broom and the flying carpet. It would be fun to use them in WvW. I remember the times, where this stuff WAS usable in WvW.

But it is just not true, that WvW players don’t buy gemstore stuff. When i look around i see many many players in gemstore armors or costumes. I see tons of white or black or butterfly wings. Many WvW players like to customize their look same as PvE or PvP players do. AND other than PvE players we pay for servertransfers.

Sarcasm is what’s left when all hope is gone

in WvW

Posted by: TwistedFate.8705

TwistedFate.8705

And what about all the people that buy gold through the currency exchange to get their skins because they don’t want to pve? Myself and many others that I know have been very generous in the gem store. As a wvw veteran the people that I knew and once played with have not been caught by raids they have all left the game completely.

Some of you think the new maps are great and I do see potential in them but there just is not enough of a player base to make these maps succeed. A server or tier merge is a must. Even on the old maps it could take a good run to find a fight but there were still many fights around. Personally I would like the Alpine maps back because they worked and most of the time there was enough people on them to have a good night in wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: BrickFurious.7169

BrickFurious.7169

The WvW community hates the new maps. We told you we would during beta for a host of reasons.

Remember when fights happened on the borderlands? Remember when players cared about upgrading and defending and attacking stuff? I do.

If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s people claiming to speak for the “WvW community”. I don’t care how many unscientific online polls seem to indicate that a majority of the forum-active WvW population dislikes the map; you don’t get to appoint yourself “Speaker of the WvW-ers”.

For the record, I love the new map, and WvW has bigger problems. Total population has been in a slow decline for a long time now due to a ton of reasons (all stemming from neglect of the core WvW game mode by Anet). The new map is a breath of fresh air, but without fundamental fixes to WvW’s reward structure, scoring mechanics, and population imbalances, it isn’t going to be enough to start moving WvW population in a positive direction again.

Also the time gating and cost of the WvW guild upgrades, including upgrades all guilds used to have access to, are terrible. It’s inept changes like this and neglect of old problems that have largely sapped the life out of WvW (especially for small and roaming guilds) and continued to decimate WvW populations. The new map is hardly to blame.

Go ahead and dislike the new map, I don’t care. It certainly isn’t perfect, it could definitely use some tweaks (I’ve posted before that yaks shouldn’t be optional for objective upgrades). But please don’t pretend that the new map has anything fundamentally to do with the decline of WvW populations. And please, pretty please, with a cherry on top, don’t try to speak on behalf of the “WvW community” anymore.

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

didnt even pay for HoT didnt play beta, saw map on youtube and already knew from first minute that the map would be a failure..

still didnt buy HoT not gonna buy HoT either aslong WvW is going too kitten with this latest patch.

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s people claiming to speak for the “WvW community”. I don’t care how many unscientific online polls seem to indicate that a majority of the forum-active WvW population dislikes the map; you don’t get to appoint yourself “Speaker of the WvW-ers”.

For the record, I love the new map, and WvW has bigger problems. Total population has been in a slow decline for a long time now due to a ton of reasons (all stemming from neglect of the core WvW game mode by Anet). The new map is a breath of fresh air, but without fundamental fixes to WvW’s reward structure, scoring mechanics, and population imbalances, it isn’t going to be enough to start moving WvW population in a positive direction again.

Also the time gating and cost of the WvW guild upgrades, including upgrades all guilds used to have access to, are terrible. It’s inept changes like this and neglect of old problems that have largely sapped the life out of WvW (especially for small and roaming guilds) and continued to decimate WvW populations. The new map is hardly to blame.

Go ahead and dislike the new map, I don’t care. It certainly isn’t perfect, it could definitely use some tweaks (I’ve posted before that yaks shouldn’t be optional for objective upgrades). But please don’t pretend that the new map has anything fundamentally to do with the decline of WvW populations. And please, pretty please, with a cherry on top, don’t try to speak on behalf of the “WvW community” anymore.

it has for me almost completely stopped playing gw2 in general..
wanna know why? because EB is perma packed nowadays, new maps are empty 24/7 i give the new map a shot i tried even when i activated the event in the middle went EB shouted that all doors are about to get blown open (while whole home border was taken by enemy) no1 came, no1 cares and thats from 1 of former TOP EU servers.
beside that since i dont know the way around yet i get constantly blocked off by huge kittening mountains or deep kitten cliffs.. getting forced into small bridges well imagine if enemy blob is on other side of bridge good luck walking around or have dieing on the bridge by all range enemy fire..

old maps give u a option to run around blob X without having to run miles around to catch X bridge or go tru Y canyon forcing u too run first a WAY off in order to get back to your commander and if u dont do X or Y u run straight into enemy blob.
having way points added etc still wont fix a thing, i do agree that map alone is not only problem WvW has.

WvW has many problems but most of problems i have with WvW came with HoT patch pre hot patch i could only say that night capping was my problem but w/e.. not my game nor i have influence on it. seems like Anet doesnt give a rats kitten also about what WvW community wants cus even if u enjoy the new maps majority of players do not like it. if they would get 1 dollar every time some1 would hop into a borderland map they would have switched back to old maps already within a week..

money is what makes people do things if no money is involved then why bother looking at something when ur stuff is getting sold anyway mainly for the PvE aspect.
WvW is just side thing which seems to be in Pre ALPHA

in WvW

Posted by: redzerofighter.2381

redzerofighter.2381

Personally I feel that the new maps aren’t that bad. It takes some time to learn it, but what hasn’t been addressed are issues that still persist even prior to HoT. Population issues and coverage gaps in the bottom half of the server list were always an issue, and it shows even more with HoT content out and WvW issues not addressed. Handful of people don’t like the new maps, but I think with how WvW is and population issues, it only reinforces their opinions.

Many bugs showing up in WvW and only a few addressed (took a while for the daily WvW achievements to get addressed…). Also, accessibility of things we used to have, like +5 supply buff on claim, is a huge issue now. This forces guilds to exit WvW if they want to get to guild lv 37 for +5… something that an alt guild prior to HoT could get easily.

I feel that guilds should be able to lvl and obtain core mats in WvW rather than having to grind out in PvE. Unless you have a guild that’s rich enough to buy their way to guild lvl 37, lots of guilds are definitely going to spend less time in WvW.

td;lr: Old problems aren’t addressed at all. New bugs come in. Old problems collide with issues with borderlands map. Why PvE just for +5 buff?

Umi Sonoda
Guild leader of Love Live [Maki]
Ferguson’s Crossing [NA]

in WvW

Posted by: Videles.6759

Videles.6759

But most veteran WvW players don’t typically lack gold.

Everything that Anet does is to make money. Absolutely nothing wrong with this. It’s what every good business does. They aren’t running a charity.

WvW doesn’t make money for them, so it’s low priority. Always has been.

Not really this game mode makes them sell the game. If i knew this change happened beforehand i would not have bought the game. I’m playing mainly EotM i could have done this without HoT aswell.

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

I dunno about this. In my case it is quite the opposite. Quite a few skins and such. Lots of gem store stuff has been purchased by many members of my guild. Not much anymore though, this is true. Mainly due to a huge fall off in active players, and a huge feeling of depression by most of the players I associate with.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

i am still wondering why players want a map that was also empty for 90% of the time back, and when had players was a karma train from the bigger server.

Does every one plays on T1 where their map was always full ????
All ic is complaining w/o giving proper info on what would make the new map better.

@OP talk to yourself, i only play wvw, and i do like the new maps, ofc it has issues and some quite critical, the auto upgrade/supply had to be done to avoid troll players, now needs to get tweaked for a good experience, the automation was too much.
All we need to ask is to change most of the map mechanics not the map iteself…
Map is excellent, the added mechanics as usual are not.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Shadow Gathering.5649

Shadow, are you sure that’s it? Do you think the cost of leveling up scribe so we can build guild AC’s that cost about 10 gold worth of materials has anything to do with it? The fact that we can’t +5 a camp as easy as we used to, and had already unlocked that by spending influence and it is now behind a crafting wall, along with the vitality, toughness, and other boosts we’d built before? That we can only claim one objective PER GUILD, not per map like we used to, making our oh so expensive upgrades less effective?

Your signature says FA- I’m on Ehmry Bay. Your server helped me develop a love of WvW, so if you quit I have to honestly say I’ll miss you. We may have even killed each other on the field at some point and hooted at our team mates about it. Yeah, we agree we don’t like what Anet did, but I’m still running around the borderlands when I play, trying to learn all the spots for tricky cata placements that can hit outer and inner, where I can blink and where I can’t, where the AC needs to go and where it should never go, and the treb, and the bali, and the shield generator (which is actually kinda cool), and you sound like (not sure you’re still playing in the borderlands) you’ve given up. I have a favor to ask: please don’t give up. Come flip some camps, shrines, and keeps, but direct your outrage at the lousy way they designed scribe.

Okay, okay, you won me over with your charisma and respect. I’ll keep trying to like the new maps for the guys like us who just want a good WvW experience again.

Rockrain
FA

in WvW

Shadow Gathering.5649

Fair point. I’m certainly not the WvW spokesperson. I guess I could have instead said “based on a fair reading of the WvW forums, a true majority of the WvW community dislikes the new maps.” Its okay to paraphrase the WvW community, right?

For those of us super nerds with 3000+ hours of WvW, the percentage of haters is even higher. My current guild only runs on EB, and that seems true for all the other t2 fighting guilds.

Just read the forums, its an unpopular map.

Rockrain
FA

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Fair point. I’m certainly not the WvW spokesperson. I guess I could have instead said “based on a fair reading of the WvW forums, a true majority of the WvW community dislikes the new maps.” Its okay to paraphrase the WvW community, right?

For those of us super nerds with 3000+ hours of WvW, the percentage of haters is even higher. My current guild only runs on EB, and that seems true for all the other t2 fighting guilds.

People would like it if it was implemented with other core WvW improvements. The map itself is well designed and has amazing combat variety. Every fight I’ve had on that new map was completely different.

in WvW

morrolan.9608

i am still wondering why players want a map that was also empty for 90% of the time back, and when had players was a karma train from the bigger server.

Does every one plays on T1 where their map was always full ????
All ic is complaining w/o giving proper info on what would make the new map better.

There has been a lot of informed feedback as to what is wrong with the maps across a few threads.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Posted by: erKo.9586

erKo.9586

I can pay a new expansion if it gives me back the old WvW.. and thats bad.

[WvW] Thanks Anet for listening to your players during 2016.
Far Shiverpeaks – EU – Since release.

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

They won’t change a thing. Right now they are scrambling to throw something in to try to get people back there. Colin and the “suits” are hard at work cracking the whip on the devs so they don’t have to backtrack.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Love the new maps and this is in T6. Once many guilds become close to completing their upgrades and the new shiny pve stuff begins to dull many people will return to WvW, just like before the expansion came out. The people that can’t seem to be patient for that have to vent their frustration on the forums but this is beyond old and overdone.

Dinas Dragonbane, the Danger Ranger
Tri-Lead of Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Love the new maps and this is in T6. Once many guilds become close to completing their upgrades and the new shiny pve stuff begins to dull many people will return to WvW, just like before the expansion came out. The people that can’t seem to be patient for that have to vent their frustration on the forums but this is beyond old and overdone.

People are long past finishing the HOT PvE stuff and not returning to WvW. Yeah raids have just started but its not like players came back then started doing raids.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Posted by: BrickFurious.7169

BrickFurious.7169

People would like it if it was implemented with other core WvW improvements. The map itself is well designed and has amazing combat variety. Every fight I’ve had on that new map was completely different.

This. I’m also in T2, and my guild has had phenomenal fights on the new map. It’s very well-designed and the environmental variety really makes combat a ton of fun. But the core WvW improvements aren’t there yet (and they even added some un-improvements like expensive scribing and guild hall leveling in order to get guild WvW upgrades). This has very understandably continued to frustrate the WvW player-base that I’ve talked to and read posts from on the forums, and in my opinion seems to be at the root of most WvW player angst since HoT launched.

Either way Shadow, I highly recommend you encourage your guild to seek out some fights on the new map. Hint: T2 seems to have an obsession right now with karma training enemy BLs, plenty of opportunity to roll in and spank some mindless zergs. Despite WvW’s flaws, mass combat is still a ton of fun, and the new map at least breathes some fresh air into that.