How to: Prevent server hopping

in WvW

Posted by: Aury.1367

Aury.1367

Just an idea:
every once a while the servers are re-merged with others right now. So guilds and many players transfer to smaller servers which are merged with high populated servers AFTER the merge. They got massive blobs and farmfests.

My suggestion to avoid this:
Make server transfers only possible 2 week BEFORE the new serverlinking is happening, like an open transfer-window for 1 week. So people have to decide while a Matchup is up, not when they see where they get most of the loot right after re-linking.

in WvW

Posted by: Doctor.1905

Doctor.1905

Anet wouldn’t want that.
-server hopping serves as MONEY because GEMS
-if guilds buy transfers entirely with gold-gems, it serves as a huge gold sink

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Make server transfers only possible 2 week BEFORE the new serverlinking is happening, like an open transfer-window for 1 week. So people have to decide while a Matchup is up, not when they see where they get most of the loot right after re-linking.

So players may have to wait 2 months before allowed to transfer to the server where their guild mates are? Don’t you think that’s a bit too harsh?

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: mordran.4750

mordran.4750

Yep, you can´t stop greed, it´s human nature.

in WvW

Posted by: Doctor.1905

Doctor.1905

I’m not saying it’s a problem. I’m rather saying that wvw players are keeping gw2 afloat. Gw2 is difficult to financially manage without it having a monthly fee.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

So there was a time once when Anet said transfers will be locked when a WvW tournament starts. All that happened was players mass-transferred right before the lock when it became clear that the server they were on wasn’t going to be in a certain division. That’s because those players were going to be locked out of ACCESS to fight X guild. It destroyed balance along with creating stale matches that people got bored of. IMHO it is better to not set up any expectations that players are then going to try to game and for Anet to actively manage the system to prevent any sort of tier locking and stale match-ups. NA players especially will eventually come to terms with the idea that NA is becoming more like EU insofar as servers are able to roll a wider variety of matches thereby increasing access to a wider variety of guilds/servers to fight. I doubt very much that Anet ever intended for the servers in tiers to be so static.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Aury.1367

So players may have to wait 2 months before allowed to transfer to the server where their guild mates are? Don’t you think that’s a bit too harsh?

Why so? If you organize your guild transfer on this timewindow you got no problems.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

That will be hard on guilds that recruit players from other servers, especially on lower tier where off hours guilds mostly recruit not from within the servers but rather from other servers.

If you wanna lock upper tiers, sure but don’t drag the lower tiers into it when they need the most help.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Aury.1367

That will be hard on guilds that recruit players from other servers, especially on lower tier where off hours guilds mostly recruit not from within the servers but rather from other servers.

If you wanna lock upper tiers, sure but don’t drag the lower tiers into it when they need the most help.

Opposite: The guild knows when to recruit people from other servers and when not. A week before transfer opens you can talk to everyone you like to join your server/guild, and as it opens they can transfer. Yes its harder, but with some organisation it could be quite nice.

Also, transfering to a server is not a normal thing then, transfering will have a value.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Opposite: The guild knows when to recruit people from other servers and when not. A week before transfer opens you can talk to everyone you like to join your server/guild, and as it opens they can transfer. Yes its harder, but with some organisation it could be quite nice.

Also, transfering to a server is not a normal thing then, transfering will have a value.

Opposite? Have you even recruit from other servers to even know how it works? No, are you even a guild leader yourself? Apparently you are from Piken Square, a “Very High” server, doubt you understand the struggle of the lower tiers.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

How about cover the gems lost with fashion wars 2 with more gem stuff to dress your keep npc’s, new models, swap race etc??

lol…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Stormleaf.1769

Stormleaf.1769

The real way to prevent server hopping: make queues prioritize people who have been on the server for longer.

in WvW

Posted by: Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Jaina Ashlynn.1043

The real way to prevent server hopping: make queues prioritize people who have been on the server for longer.

I wonder how they could make that work with linked servers because I’ve been on AR since beta and I know of a few others that have been also. I could only imagine the wait line for the stacked servers.

Anvil Rock: Beta →Friday 13th 1/13/2017
Crystal Desert: 1/13/2017

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Queues? What is that?

Attachments:

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

No to the OP, for it promotes exclusion, and transferring issues are merely a symptom to the tier system in a 24/7 game mode that is the real issue. If you wanted population balance you would have to abandon persistence. Simply put, not everyone can put in the same time into Gw2 as everyone else.

I’m not saying it’s a problem. I’m rather saying that wvw players are keeping gw2 afloat. Gw2 is difficult to financially manage without it having a monthly fee.

The source? I highly doubt it’s true given how few actually play WvW. Furthermore with money increases from badge/notary conversions alongside reward track the need to pay real money for transfers has decreased in my opinion.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

Truth? From what I’m witnessing I’m not sure who the enemy really is anymore. There is so much drama and in fighting between server links I’m ready to throw my hands up. This is suppose to be fun! Not non-stop B******* in team, squad, and map chat….

(edited by Kamara.4187)

in WvW

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

Anet wouldn’t want that.

I believe you are correct because the problem could be easily stopped if there was a penalty. Like losing all your wvw bonuses.

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Anet wouldn’t want that.

I believe you are correct because the problem could be easily stopped if there was a penalty. Like losing all your wvw bonuses.

So if the server I am become toxic I need to be stuck with it or pay the kittenton of gold that I invested in my guild hall? Better just quit the game entirely at that point.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I don’t think server hopping in this game can be stopped. In the next game, it will be.

The actual money gained via WVW server transfers is negligible, assuming that around 50% of transfer players spend actual $$ on it instead of farming SW or whatever else meta maps for a couple hours, I would be surprised if it even pays for 2-3 employees per month, and then there are the rest of the business costs.

The transfers can not be stopped because:
- “But I can’t play with my cousins uncles sisters brother !”
- “A-Net U ruined my life cause I can’t go to T1 with my ex-boyfriends BFF !!!”
Etc.

The only legit reason I see for transfers is those that finally got fed up with the flawed system of constant losses due to nightcapping. I have seen servers lose large chunks of population over this, either transferred to something with enough coverage to at least have some sort of a fair match once in a while, or left the game entirely.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Or you could address the actual problem, which is that servers are an outdated, inflexible system that is probably the worst design you could go with to manage population balance, and it got even more silly when they’ve effectively removed servers from the rest of the game.

in WvW

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

Anet wouldn’t want that.

Your parents always told you to pay attention to what your doctor says. They’re not always right but in this case they are.

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

1. Lock servers with population (assuming that population algorithm works) that are above average of the top 9 servers.
2. Lower map caps for servers that dominate matches
3. Quickly close all threads asking Anet why they can’t transfer to overstacked servers
4. Temporarily give better rewards for outmanned, and servers that finish in third.
5. Allow free transfers downward.

None of this will happen so NA WvW meta will continue to be stack the winning server.

in WvW

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

3. Quickly close all threads asking Anet why they can’t transfer to overstacked servers

You made me laugh so hard I almost fell off my chair

as if they weren’t closing EVERYTHING THEY DON’T LIKE or doesn’t suit them among other things…