How to fix WvW, a few easy steps.

in WvW

Posted by: TheLargeUnit.2793

TheLargeUnit.2793

Shift points away from the tick and towards player kills. All kills reward 3 points. In addition to this there is a stomp bonus, 1 additional point per borderland bloodlust held. For example, if I stomp someone while holding 2 BL bloodlusts my server would receive 5 points (3 for kill, 2 for stomp bonus).

This would fix:
1) coverage issue
2) unused bloodlust ruins
3) give gvg/open field guilds a way to influence ppt
4) shift towards skill instead of population
5) discourage up levels
6) force smart play
7) discourage blobs (blob wipe would result in huge points for opposing team)

Only drawback would be encouraging players to hide in keeps and towers, but this would result in no structures being taken which would help to fix the coverage issue. To counter this there is always the long distance treb option that would force an open field situation.

Achmed Afro Thunder ~ Six Ft Pole Achmed ~ Dharok The Ravenous
Long Live [ASAP] Zerg: The greatest guild that ever was or will be.

in WvW

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Shifting to a kill incentive point system pretty much means the bigger server wins. They could shift points around to liven up the system, but perhaps by giving more points when a capture location is upgraded. Or a slow increase in points gained for holding a point consecutively. This would encourage defense incentive, and defense can be done by smaller groups with proper siege on the walls. ACs and the like.

Blobs are weak. They take big objectives but can’t respond to multiple objectives being taken by small groups. You can’t win the week by holding SMC all the time.

If you want to fix WvW, encourage your server to not blob if you aren’t winning a lot, and to scout for blobs so your small groups can avoid the blobs of death while taking towers and camps.

The thing I think that is broken with WvW is the match-ups. I’m tired of facing the exact same servers every week. And now my server is bloody winning all the time. I don’t really expect to not win each week. Where’s the fun in assured victory? Blegh

Doing the motions and going around capping and fighting is fun, but it would be more fun if I felt less secure in victory.

in WvW

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

I don’t think this idea is bad. The only thing you would need to add is a ratio, based on the amount of players currently in the zone for one world against that of the other. E.g. if you are out-manned, you gain more points for kills (and the other world gets less).

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

1point for kill and 3 for stomp, the zerg can easily kill but harder to stomp so add point on stomp with BL too.

in WvW

Posted by: Paavotar.3971

Paavotar.3971

Are you saying they should move points totally away from tick or just reduce the meaning of holding points?

Because if you would make tick go away then holding towers and keeps would be rather meaningless. Their only purpose on this scenario would be:
- Give safe place to roll in if the kitten hits the fan
- Waypoint to get faster back into action (not good thing because you died already so you lost points to the other team already, making feeding a real problem)

Also, I disagree with points 5, 6 and 7.

5) discourage up levels
- Should we try to alienate WvW even more from the player base by bashing everyone who is not skilled enough. Because this will happen and people will rage to players who make newcomer mistakes on the field and die. It already happens and death is rather meaningless in the current WvW scenario.

6) force smart play & 7) discourage blobs
- Gonna answer them both with same text. I feel like this would only encourage more blobbing. The smart play would be to stick with big numbers because there is safe in numbers. It’s easier to kill smaller groups with big numbers.

Yea yea, zerg busting. But that pretty much happens only if the other group is mostly ‘pugs’. But consider what happens when they have a guild group core that has good skill in guild raiding and are backed up with random players from other various raiding guilds. You are not going to bust that zerg when its 3:1 situation.

A Pink scumbag of [FACE] and deep inside a [GuM]ster
Mouggari – Warrior – Candy cane Avenger

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

I like the idea but it would only work if they removed the aoe cap and downed state.

Zergs can power rez far too easily and in small scale fighting you would see a huge increase in people alt f4’ing to prevent being stomped.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

TheLargeUnit.2793

Not remove the tick or anything, just add a surplus of additional points in order to make it less substantial. I realize that this approach would only be effective on the larger servers (tiers 1-4?).

in WvW

Posted by: Paavotar.3971

Paavotar.3971

Looking at gw2scores.com you can see that roughly 25 – 30 % of points are already coming from something else than the tick (player stomping, dolyak kills and sentry kills).

I’m throwing an assumption here, just a hunch, don’t take it as a true or as a calculated fact.

IF they implement ppk so that you get 1 point for a kill + 1 for every bloodlust, I would assume that the ratio would go somewhere 50:50 for PPT and PPK + Dolyak + Sentry.

I suppose this would satisfy both camps, the ones who like to play siege warfare / defending / supply management and the ones who like to raid and fight.

A Pink scumbag of [FACE] and deep inside a [GuM]ster
Mouggari – Warrior – Candy cane Avenger

in WvW

TheLargeUnit.2793

Yea of course the numbers wouldn’t have to be that severe, a 50-50 ration between kills and ppt would be good. The main reason I think implementing this would be beneficial is that servers have a chance to regain the ppt they lose during their off hours during their prime time.

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Change to a kill based points system will only make blobbing even worse than it is now, as everyone would be encouraged not to be a free kill and blob up for safety in numbers.

What they really need is better maps, better mechanics, better ways of filling those maps and better rewards to encourage people back to wvw.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

What WvW needs most is new maps. Even a fresh coat of paint on old maps would be Ok.

Anyway, 1. Easy things that don’t require much developer resource to do is:

Bring Back the Match Threads!

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Been thinking about how to make camps, Towers, keeps worth it anyway even if you remove ticks, do so the server get points for every upgraded done (one time) then have so when Gate, Mortar (tower) WP (Keep/SM) and Fortify is done the value of the tower, keep, SM go up both if you defend it and take it, you/the server only get points when its capped or when “sword” go away for defending side, to make it better for defending side also race the points you get for kills when defending if it is upgraded the building that you defend.

For camps it is when upgraded 2, 3, 4 is done the value go up, that way you can do 1 upgrade on enemy camp that give your server points and it will still give the enemy 0 if no one defend it when its lost.

That way a small server facing a bigger server can agree we will only on home border upgrade north camp, 2 towers and Garrison and nothing on any other map, or something like that, or even we will only upgrade Garrison and north camp, then Wall, oil, canon on towers and supply on nw/ne camp so then its worth 0 if you can not get players to defend it.

(edited by Shadow.3475)