How to improve wvw... Factions

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

3 Factions using the megaserver tech for EotM.

PvP maps with structures to capture. Good for zerg play.

-Eternal Battleground with castle
-Desert Borderland
-Alpine Borderland
-New Borderland
-EotM Map
-Overgrowth Borderland with castle
-Frostreach Borderland with castle
-Badlands Borderlands with castle

PvP/PvE maps with only open area capture points. Good for solo roaming and small group play.

-X number of maps that are themed differently using lore from the Mists. Each map spawns different special events to beat and fight over.

PvE Faction Mist War event maps, that are unique per side, where pve minded players can participate and contribute to the “Mist War”. Map copies are created, like in pve and EotM, to accommodate all players.

-X number of maps with events that contribute points to skirmish and war scores.

Unique crafting materials to gather on each map that are only found in the Mists.

-These mats are tradable and used as components for future items that need to be crafted.

Skirmishes and reward tracks stay in place

Server linking stays in place

-Used to shift individual servers to balance populations as need be. Although, with Factions and having pveers contributing… I’m thinking that Skirmishes, War scores and coverage will be more balanced, so relinking won’t be as necessary.

Regular updates and special events just like the pve side receives

WvW “paths” to ALL legendary gear that exist in the game

You’re very welcome!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

No to all but one line.

Regular updates would be nice. Since we don’t even have that, nothing here will happen anyways.

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

I personally don’t want to see this game mode thrown into any type of faction-based WvW, and before you post a reply that I haven’t read your entire post, I have read it. I have also read (in their entirety) many other threads from the past suggesting faction-based WvW. No matter how the ideas are packaged, they all still boil down to a model similar (ish) to EotM. Not a fan.

I do agree that we need a path to legendary gear.

Seasons need to return to WvW on a regular basis.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

No, no, no and NO! No season – ever again. They were the single biggest destroyer of wvw population balance. Anet even took the incredible step of acknowledging they were detrimental to the game.

SBI

in WvW

Swagger.1459

I personally don’t want to see this game mode thrown into any type of faction-based WvW, and before you post a reply that I haven’t read your entire post, I have read it. I have also read (in their entirety) many other threads from the past suggesting faction-based WvW. No matter how the ideas are packaged, they all still boil down to a model similar (ish) to EotM. Not a fan.

Ok, but what are players here going to do when Camelot Unchained launches with 3 unique factions, far superior world map mechanics, an RvR underworld, unique and customizable classes (per side) that are built and balanced solely for pvp and rvr warfare, an engine that can handle 1,500 bot battles currently… and is the predecessor to Dark Age of Camelot that gw2 wvw was modeled after?

Think the players here are still going to be happy with a gw2 that juggles individual servers with linking, the same old limited and boring maps, professions built and balanced around pve first, an enginge that can’t handle 200 players fighting in the same area…?

Either gw2 needs to get rid of the old model, and all of the major flaws that go with it, to compete with what’s coming, or the precious wvw as we know it will be hit hard by a game that is 100% designed for pvp and rvr.

in WvW

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

Ok, but what are players here going to do when Camelot Unchained launches with 3 unique factions, far superior world map mechanics, an RvR underworld, unique and customizable classes (per side) that are built and balanced solely for pvp and rvr warfare, an engine that can handle 1,500 bot battles currently… and is the predecessor to Dark Age of Camelot that gw2 wvw was modeled after?

Think the players here are still going to be happy with a gw2 that juggles individual servers with linking, the same old limited and boring maps, professions built and balanced around pve first, an enginge that can’t handle 200 players fighting in the same area…?

Either gw2 needs to get rid of the old model, and all of the major flaws that go with it, to compete with what’s coming, or the precious wvw as we know it will be hit hard by a game that is 100% designed for pvp and rvr.

GW2 has survived Overwatch. It will survive thru CU. I don’t think people are going to 100% abandon GW2 after all the time they’ve invested in it. This game has a HUGE fan based going all the way back to GW1. But diverting from the original model to something entirely different will definitely alienate some of the WvW player base.

Will CU RvR bet better? We don’t know yet. I think it’s a little early for pessimistic predictions.

WvW could use a separate skill balancing system, for sure. Does WvW need a few more tweaks? Yes.

Blowing up the original mode that people bought the game to play and fell in love with, and implementing a faction-based mode isn’t the solution.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

in WvW

Posted by: Dealdrick.9701

Dealdrick.9701

Someone drank the Koolaid…..

4 years after Kickstarter and this is where its at.

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

GW2 has survived Overwatch. It will survive thru CU. I don’t think people are going to 100% abandon GW2 after all the time they’ve invested in it. This game has a HUGE fan based going all the way back to GW1. But diverting from the original model to something entirely different will definitely alienate some of the WvW player base.

Will CU RvR bet better? We don’t know yet. I think it’s a little early for pessimistic predictions.

WvW could use a separate skill balancing system, for sure. Does WvW need a few more tweaks? Yes.

Blowing up the original mode that people bought the game to play and fell in love with, and implementing a faction-based mode isn’t the solution.

never invested a kitten into gw2 beside buying it.
i dont care for skins i dont care for anything beside WvW so nothing stops me from leaving.

only good thing gw2 has is that i can leave now and return in 6 months and my gear is still the best if not taking legendary into account which is why i like gw2 its so casual.
but i dislike the fact that whole gw2 team (anet) is only caring about their PvE community which is quite pathetic.
Then simply remove whole WvW scene and sPvP if they see these 2 things as simple add ons and dont wanna spend more then 2 hours time on it..
we always have to deal with horrible balance patches which turn out great for PvE but are beyond terribad for other modes.

i also dont really understand why they dont make balance patches on sPvP or WvW and then ram them into PvE because PvE is least important when it comes to damage i mean give all pve people a 1 shot kill build and no1 will complain cus npc’s cant complain give these builds to sPvP or WvW and u got tons of tears..

see what i did there!? balance only matters when 2 real people fight it out not when 1 guy fights vs a brainless NPC that can be killed even without a weapon.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Overwatch and CU are 2 totally different games. WvW players won’t be as enthusiastic for a first person shooter, as opposed to a game built solely for RvR gameplay.

The point is that development takes time, so what is anet going to offer the rvr minded players here in the future when there will be competition? What will wvw look like, how good will it be and how well will it be able to compete with CU when it drops?

This is the best that anet can offer right now with the way it was designed, and that’s certainly not enough to hold players when we have options later on. Also, the faction based model will fair far better than what we have had going on here for 5 years.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

That has nothing to do with what I’m saying, and you totally miss the point… It will drop eventually, so how is anet going to compete and keeps players for wvw? Do you want a dead wvw mode? You prefer anet wait until critical levels before they do something? Development takes time, just like it took 2 years to drop this new xpac, so this needs to be discussed sooner than later.

in WvW

Posted by: Dealdrick.9701

Dealdrick.9701

That has nothing to do with what I’m saying, and you totally miss the point… It will drop eventually, so how is anet going to compete and keeps players for wvw? Do you want a dead wvw mode? You prefer anet wait until critical levels before they do something? Development takes time, just like it took 2 years to drop this new xpac, so this needs to be discussed sooner than later.

You seem to assume a lot.

1. Don’t assume CU is coming anytime soon or that it will actually be decent. Waaaaaaaaay too early to tell .

2. Don’t assume to know what I prefer.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

You seem to assume a lot.

1. Don’t assume CU is coming anytime soon or that it will actually be decent. Waaaaaaaaay too early to tell .

2. Don’t assume to know what I prefer.

replies for the 1 and 2.

The comparative list of features and designs there are very strong against what wvw offers.

That was a question… followed by the obvious question mark.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

The lack of server identity is the issue with eotm-like approach.

Also, why trying to relate pve players to wvw? Those are different.
Even if ignoring and even accepting about the pve players part. Servers are different in their base populations thus different in pve populations, how are you gonna ensure pve is balance?

Finally, warscore isn’t the issue. Warscore is not equal to population balance. Population balance is the issue. How can you even relate a fictional number to actual number of players?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Also, why trying to relate pve players to wvw? Those are different.
Even if ignoring and even accepting about the pve players part. Servers are different in their base populations thus different in pve populations, how are you gonna ensure pve is balance?

Finally, warscore isn’t the issue. Warscore is not equal to population balance. Population balance is the issue. How can you even relate a fictional number to actual number of players?

Do you enjoy where wvw is at due to clinging onto the individual server model and linking and relinking and unbalanced time/time zone coverage? The individual server model has major flaws still.

Pveers can be a balancing factor. Could be a good way for pveers to get involved and eventually lead them into wvw zones as regular participants.

Inspiration came from CU safe zones… where players have paths to contribute to the rvr war that don’t involve fighting or taking objectives in combat zones.

8 servers vs 8 servers vs 8 servers, plus pveers contributing, would probably be far more balanced in many respects.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

I don’t think people are going to 100% abandon GW2 after all the time they’ve invested in it. This game has a HUGE fan based going all the way back to GW1. But diverting from the original model to something entirely different will definitely alienate some of the WvW player base.

The funny thing is most of the big guilds and alliances who came to GW2 specifically for WvW who had played similar “RvR” type content with games like DAoC, Warhammer, etc, left in the first 9 -18 months, because as a mass scale “RvR” type game mode WvW isn’t actually very well designed, what it did have going for it, and what kept a lot of players/guilds playing was the large scale combat, then HoT happened, and that changed, and now you have matchups made up of 8 linked servers with way less activity than you used to get with 3 servers, which says it all.

Server identity is something a minority of players shout about, meanwhile most of the rest don’t seem to place much importance on it, especially now, and really the notion of “identity” or “community” requiring a server is a misnomer, factions can have those as well, in fact if you take the corporations/alliances in EVE Online for example you have a far stronger, deeper identity/community than the rather shallow and superficial counterparts you have in GW2.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

I don’t think people are going to 100% abandon GW2 after all the time they’ve invested in it. This game has a HUGE fan based going all the way back to GW1. But diverting from the original model to something entirely different will definitely alienate some of the WvW player base.

The funny thing is most of the big guilds and alliances who came to GW2 specifically for WvW who had played similar “RvR” type content with games like DAoC, Warhammer, etc, left in the first 9 -18 months, because as a mass scale “RvR” type game mode WvW isn’t actually very well designed, what it did have going for it, and what kept a lot of players/guilds playing was the large scale combat, then HoT happened, and that changed, and now you have matchups made up of 8 linked servers with way less activity than you used to get with 3 servers, which says it all.

Server identity is something a minority of players shout about, meanwhile most of the rest don’t seem to place much importance on it, especially now, and really the notion of “identity” or “community” requiring a server is a misnomer, factions can have those as well, in fact if you take the corporations/alliances in EVE Online for example you have a far stronger, deeper identity/community than the rather shallow and superficial counterparts you have in GW2.

Please don’t misquote, I didn’t mention the first quote.

For server identity, a lot of people still keeps calling it out, especially when I say to delete/remake servers.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

If Arenanet were to make all servers use EotM megaserver technology, I can’t see myself playing this game at all.

Please amend the proposal so that it works without me losing community. There’s a difference between server linkings (which introduce a lot of new players to one another over a long period of time) and Megaserver (which gives you 1(?) hour to speed-date your companions before booting you out).

I want the sense of permanence – what’s now known as server community. Those people can change over time, but I want to bump into my WvW allies who aren’t in any of my guilds – just comrades-in-arms whom I fight beside and get to know slowly over time. That’s a cool thing. THAT IS A FUN THING.

Ok, but what are players here going to do when Camelot Unchained launches with [features list] and is the predecessor to Dark Age of Camelot that gw2 wvw was modeled after?

If you’ve been following CU development you’ll have noticed Mark Jacobs mention multiple times that he has no magic bullet for population imbalance and won’t be doing much about it (also, it’s a (spiritual) successor, not predecessor).

I’m a huge fan of Jacobs, I played DAoC for 4 years and think he did a great job of Warhammer (eventually), and I think he’ll make a success of CU, but I don’t think it’s the massive challenger to GW2 that many here tout it as. Subs alone are a huge barrier for many players, and that’s before we even talk about the difference in gameplay.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)