How to make EoTM matches competitive

in WvW

Posted by: Radian.2478

Radian.2478

Right now, EoTM matches are not very competitive. For most weeks, there’s a color that wins 85% of the time. Most of the EoTM matches are not even close and one side can even have 2-3 times more players than another side. It’s not even uncommon for a side to have 0 PPT. Once a side gets Outnumbered, people porting into the map see that they probably won’t get much rewards and just port out so that side has trouble getting back to anywhere.

How to fix it:

More randomization!

Two options:

1) Look at all of the WvW matchups, say the 8 matchups in NA. Assign each server a color in each matchup randomly such that each server gets a color different than the colors of their current WvW opponents. This means that you are still playing with your server but not with your WvW opponents (just like how it already is however your color isn’t necessarily your WvW color) and this keeps server pride people who want to play with their server. Do this randomization for every single 4 hour match. This will prevent one color from winning 85% of the time for the week but may not necessarily make the average match closer (just more even distribution of which color wins)

2) Make the matchmaking more like sPvP where you get put on the side that needs more players. This will keep numbers even. This would mean you can get any color in EoTM and are not necessarily playing with your server. You would still be allowed to party up and play with your friends. Most people in EoTM do not have much server pride and many even consider it PvE so this matchmaking scheme makes much more sense for something like EoTM rather than WvW. This would likely be the easiest way to make the average EoTM closer without having to introduce debuffs or stuff that harms players for being in first. I actually like this idea the most but I can see a lot of people disagreeing with it.

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

EoTM isn’t competitive because there’s no identity associated with one side. No communication between players to create a community. The colours change every week so why bother getting to know and communicate with these people when they could be your opponent next week? Servers have server forums and voice comms that create a sense of community when you’re logging on to them and seeing/talking to the same people everyday. EoTM doesn’t have that

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

People could go play in EoTM that would make matches competitive too.

in WvW

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Green is winning color this week btw if any1 want to know xD

in WvW

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Eotm isnt competitive because 90% of the players that go there do it for the achievements/karma/wexp/badges and couldn’t care less who ‘wins’ the ppt.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in WvW

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

I can’t see anything changing it from a never ending Karma train. I only mess around there if we have a que. Thankfully for my timezone that isn’t really an issue.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

in WvW

Posted by: Monsteratic.5487

Monsteratic.5487

Anet could fix it by making defending a priority somehow; it would solve the karma train issue. On another note, EoTM is a great place to practice commanding. Take objectives along the way as you look for the enemy blob to practice your zerg killing skills. That’s what I do and it’s great fun!

in WvW

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Quite a few times I pop in eotm and see that no1 has a tag:

Rent-a-commander tag.
Only a few per instance, and only for the duration of one eotm match. When you leave the map, you lose it. Make it cost badges, silver, etc.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in WvW

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

How to make EotM competitive: have a persistent (ie. 24/7) EotM map that contributes to PPT in the real WvW matches, between only the 3 servers in that match.

That’s the only way it’s going to happen. Whether that’s desirable or not… idk. I think that, after seasons, Anet could try a week where they replace the Borderlands with 3 EotMs – with each server starting in each position on one of the EotMs. I’m actually interested to see how the map would work if people cared.

in WvW

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

EotM cannot be competitive as long as most commanders there actively try to avoid PvP.

One – Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

It’s clear that, for whatever reason, EoTM is just not fun enough for WvW players to want to go there. If you have to force people to go there by making it count for real WvW points, you’re doing something wrong.

In the end, it’s a failure in map design that probably can’t be saved. Just let it be what it has turned out to be: a karma train for PvE players, and pray that Anet learns some lessons from its failure (unlikely as EoTM is itself an expansion of two wildly unpopular maps/areas: skyhammer and the bloodlust area in the BL).

in WvW

Posted by: Dutchares.6084

Dutchares.6084

Before EoTM there were lots of karma trains in normal WvW
Now most of the karma trains go to EoTM because reward is better there.

To fix karma trains the whole reward system needs to change. People asking for this for ages, but I don’t see that happen any time soon.

in WvW

Posted by: Ceres.4569

Ceres.4569

I go to EotM for some quick leveling in the karma trains so I’m not running an uplevel in WvW. Otherwise, it’s an awful place.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Defending in EotM is actually very rewarding. You get warm and fuzzy feeling inside when karma train can’t cap any keeps/towers.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Radian.2478

I can see EoTM being a lot more fun if they decrease the rewards a little bit for capping stuff and increase the rewards for killing players. I think the population imbalance is the #1 reason for most matches being blowouts but I do see many people here are more concerned with the style of play and zerging. I don’t see why capturing a keep can give 36 badges but then you have to kill what feels like 200 players to get that many badges. Maybe if they increased the reward of killing players, increased defense reward, decreased capture reward, had more reactors on each side (that all pool from the same supply but actually give you time to set up siege if they’re on the gate), have each champ in all structures give allies some sort of unique buff for players within X range of the champ, put more AoE damage on the champs, and lastly put a cap on the amount of damage that a champ can take over a time interval (either negate damage for X seconds after taking Y damage over 1 second of time or maybe even heal for Z after taking Y damage over a 1 second time interval).

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m only a casual WvW player, but I think the two biggest drawbacks of EotM are as follows:

1. There’s no real payoff for “winning” in EotM. Yes, your home Borderland gets a supply drop, but this supply drop usually makes barely any difference to the BL defenders, and it’s usually consumed within 30 seconds anyway.

Victory in EotM should provide more tangible benefits to the Home Servers, such as an unstrippable buff for the next hour (maybe it applies to NPCs too?), or the points earned in EotM gets added to your server’s score.

2. Just as in main WvW, there’s no real incentive for defending objectives other than “server pride”. As such, the biggest payoff comes from servers just doing circular karma trains through each other’s territory. You WANT the enemy to cap your objectives so you can get more rewards capping them back. There needs to be a bigger incentive for holding onto objectives, and this should be applied to both EotM and WvW at large.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Good fights today in EU.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

I like both suggestions, I actually prefer #2 except it would be harder to get your guild into one overflow. But the new megaserver prioritization technology may help with that.

I don’t think ‘competitive’ was the right word, to alot of people that describes PPT driven WvW. The goal here is to encourage more good fights by better balancing the teams, not turning EotM into WvW.

(edited by NornBearPig.9814)

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

EotM cannot be competitive as long as most commanders there actively try to avoid PvP.

Lol yeah, I just came back after a hiatus and went into EtoM. A big zerg of us were attacking deep into the enemy territory and commander types in chat that Frost is coming – we better bail.

Being new I was like what is frost? Some huge monster?

No, he meant the other team is coming to fight. Doh!

in WvW

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I like a lot of the ideas proposed. I realize they’re all mentioned but the full list of things I’d love to see:

1) Temp commander tag, maybe a diff color, but it’s an issue when you have no commander, and personally I’m not going to drop 100g for EoTM commanding where I’d just be subject to verbal abuse from kids and idiots. A cheapish temp commander tag, maybe limit how many can be activated on the map, would be great.

2) No links to your home server, queue in like sPVP, go to the side with lowest population, if you’re in a group bring the whole group there. Do the sPVP rebalances too if needed with the same deal of getting your initial side’s rewards if they win.

3) Increased rewards, both for killing people and for winning. Lets face it EoTM is a karma train, so lets give incentive to make it a karma train you want to win! Toss a big reward of karma/dragonite/obsidian shards/dust/fragments/badges and whatever, just make it worth trying to win. And have the rewards for killing people high enough that we may want to just sit and have a rewarding battle.

Overall I’m not a big fan of the map in general, basically just far too much map influence. In that I mean you get buffs from places, and honestly playing the “lets knock em off the map” game is about just as successful as simply being good at pvping. Doing the above could make me actually enjoy doing it though instead of just doing it to farm karma and finding it dull and boring.

in WvW

Radian.2478

My post was more about the average closeness in score rather than trying to win which, looking back, should have encompassed both. I’ve always tried to PPT when commanding EoTM except for once season 2 started due to the fact that my zerglings are still needing achievements and I am helping there. The matches have been undoubtedly played more for rewards rather than trying to win because of the season 2. I like some of the ideas about wishing for more rewards on killing. It does kinda promote zerging though. I think if zerg v zerg instead of zerg v door was more encouraged this way, that’d actually be pretty cool.

in WvW

Posted by: joonasp.9217

joonasp.9217

We’re red this week and I’ve yet to find an overflow where we’re not outmanned and 85% of the map is not green.

I like the idea of EOTM but this is just awful. Absolute waste of time. Is it like this in NA as well?

Red vs. Green is always like 10 guys against 60. Why do we have 10 overflows with 10 people in them instead of having overflows that have sufficient amount of people?

- JanS Löllykkä – www.jansguild.tumblr.com -

(edited by joonasp.9217)

in WvW

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

We’re red this week and I’ve yet to find an overflow where we’re not outmanned and 85% of the map is not green.

I like the idea of EOTM but this is just awful. Absolute waste of time. Is it like this in NA as well?

I’m green right now and while we’re doing ok in EoTM every time I get in we’re losing so /shrug. Personally I kinda like being on a lower side in EoTM, more things to capture = more karma! lol

Until they give more reason to do other things there, that’s all I see it as, a karma train.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I will never understand why a development team would put so much effort for content made to be enjoyed only as a waiting room for other content.

Why not just make it something competitive instead that affects the score? Why isn’t Anet aiming for something better?

It’s the same with the borderland ruins. Why design such a beautiful area and then make it entirely useless to the gameplay?

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I don’t understand. I thought when one instance gets filled, another one opens up. How are there multiple instances that are unbalanced? Only the last instance should be unbalanced.

in WvW

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

Perhaps if they changed the clusterkitten of a map EOTM is people would play it.. Worst map design in an mmo EVER.

in WvW

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I don’t understand. I thought when one instance gets filled, another one opens up. How are there multiple instances that are unbalanced? Only the last instance should be unbalanced.

Eg.

1st instance: 100% Green capacity, 50% red capacity, 35% Blue Capacity.

When the next Green players want to log in to EotM, there needs to be a new instance, even though the first is still unbalanced. And since the Green players in instance 2 need someone to play against, the game starts putting Red and Blue players in there, rather than equalising instance 1. More Green players flood in, opening up instances 3 and 4. Red and Blue remain outnumbered on all instances.

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Good scenario for showing how the system is not working.

However, why DO the Green players in instance 2 need people to play against? They still have to fight to capture anything other than Sentries, and once they’ve covered the entire map in Green, people will start leaving because there’s nothing else to do there, thereby self-solving the issue. (This already happens on standard instances where one particularly large PvD zerg will capture everything on the map, then tell its members to go take a 20 min break or play something else while the other factions “recover”.)

in WvW

Posted by: Myst.5783

Myst.5783

I go to EoTM for the sole reason its the easiest way to get karma.

I save the effort for the real WvW.

Currently playing: Mesmer/Ele/Theif
JQ

(edited by Myst.5783)