How to make devs care about WvW - solution

in WvW

Posted by: Gadzooks.4687

Gadzooks.4687

Its quite simple
Add a bunch of WvW related options to the gem store.

Right now, WvW players probably arent the games main source of revenue. Id be willing to bet that most of the gem sales (as in people spending real money for gems) comes primarily from the PvE side. Why should the devs spend much time at all on WvW when most of their money comes from PvE players?

If WvW players were a larger source of potential gem sales, the devs might actually care about spending as much effort on WvW as they do on the rest of the game.

Some gem store ideas (none of which are pay 2 win)

Tower/Supply Customization:
— Enhanced guild banners for guilds that take control of a tower/supply point. Things like particle effects (flame, electricity, dripping acid, etc) and other fancy things to really show off the guild that owns it.
— Custom Tower Doors: Several new and fancy options for changing a towers doors to look better than the basic, plain doors when your guild controls a tower.
— Custom Dolyaks: When your guild takes control of a supply point, the yaks will now carry your guilds emblem and colors, and have a different skin texture (based on the one purchased)
— Custom Guards: Give a custom new look to all npc guards that are part of a tower/supply point that your guild controls.
— Custom NPC Guard speech: Pick things for the NPCs to shout at enemies when they attack for NPCs that are part of a tower/supply that your guild controls.

Siege Customization
— New optional skins for existing siege models
— Guild banners/flags for siege built while active and representing a guild. (sorta like a food buff, siege built while active would display the banners)
— Possibly new attack effects. Change the look of the balista shots, or catapult rocks, or arrow carts raining arrows. Minor, but noticeable changes.

Player Customization
— Different types of pvp downed staking flags such as ones representing your server.
— New, custom emotes with PvP in mind.
— Unique PvP armor skins
— Custom Commander pins: Different colors and shapes for commanders to help distinguish themselves on the map
— 3 new mini pets: A Battering Ram, a Catapult, and a Balista
— Custom Titles

These are just some quick ideas. I cant say they are great, or awful, I just think SOMETHING needs to be done to make the devs care more about WvW, and figured that if anet stood to make money off WvW players more, they might seem to put forth a lot more effort and time into adding and improving all aspects of WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

Dude… No way.

in WvW

Gadzooks.4687

Dude… No way.

You make some valid points, many of which I cant debate against.

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

They do care about WvW. Proof being that they have been making a lot of positive changes lately.

Take your baseless QQ elsewhere.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: Ghedoriah.4290

Ghedoriah.4290

You know what would help them care about WvW more and work harder?

Cake.

You know it.

Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

Dude… No way.

You make some valid points, many of which I cant debate against.

We aint running for president here.

in WvW

Posted by: Sharky.5024

Sharky.5024

I totally agree with that idea. As everybody can see, there are many, many things the WvW-community wishes to be introduced, eliminated or just improved: queues, skill-lags, maps, orbs, ascended gear, commander-system, PvE-content, WXP, glicko-rating, balancing, hacking, exploiting, griefing and so on… But while working on these things you always have to deal with limited resources (development time, server power, server bandwidth, budgets,…). So if there is a close link between gem sales and WvW activity, it will be somehow easier to decide on the allocation of budgets and resources.

Some more examples for WvW-related gem store items:

• Queue-Tickets: With introducing a kind of progress bar, you could see then a green and a red queue. Joining the green queue grants faster access to WvW but costs a queue-ticket. Waiting in the red queue just takes a bit longer…
  • Blueprints: They have to be set to account-binding and removed out of the jumping-puzzle-chests. Still they can be looted or bought at merchants but in addition it should be possible to buy them in the gem store.
  • WvW-Ascended-Gear: This could be a special equipment for level 80 characters, that provides ascended stats only while playing WvW. In PvE areas it is automatically downscaled to yellow stats.
  • WvW-Repair-Buff: Your armor takes no damage for a certain time or number of deaths.
  • WvW-Lootservice: For some time the content of loot-bags will be automatically put in your inventory as long as there is enough free space.
  • WXP-Unlock-Pack: Connect the WXP-score of one of your characters permanently to that from another one.

That’s the deal: Give more resources to the whole WvW project and just finance this with WvW-based gem sales…

(edited by Sharky.5024)

in WvW

Posted by: Ynot.8397

Ynot.8397

• Queue-Tickets: With introducing a kind of progress bar, you could see then a green and a red queue. Joining the green queue grants faster access to WvW but costs a queue-ticket. Waiting in the red queue just takes a bit longer…

If they are going to introduce something it can’t kitten off players. Letting people cut in line might kitten off a few wvwers.

Ferguson’s Crossing→ SoS→ DR→ EBay

in WvW

Gadzooks.4687

They do care about WvW. Proof being that they have been making a lot of positive changes lately.

Aparently 1 update with most of the changes (“positive” is an opinionated view) equals “a lot” in your book.

The only real “positive” change in my opinion was removing the culling. They did add the rank system in ONE recent patch, after MONTHS of nothing at all. And many would debate the rank system being positive or negative.

Reasons why I believe they dont really put much effort or care about WvW:

1. The length of time it takes for them to change or add anything (months and months)
2. The extremely limited testing they do with any new changes or additions to WvW. I bet a common thing heard in the anet offices is “Oh… wow… we didnt think about that happening” when it comes to the WvW changes they add.
3. Commander pins costing gold
4. Huge imbalance of item based rewards between WvW and PvE
5. Skill/Server Lag getting worse as time goes on.
6. Focus on zerg gameplay over anything else (even if unintentional – which points to #2)
7. Inability for guilds to be in groups larger than 5 people (in a game called GUILD wars.)
8. Map design and ZERO attemp to change or improve it (Too small, objectives are too close together)
9. Queue system is broke. Its more like a lotto than a queue, and sure as heck doesnt keep the number of players on each side balanced by actual numbers. All too often is 100+ from one server vs barely 30 on the other.
10. Complete lack of server wide and personal incentive to win each week, aside from bragging rights. (something as simple as awarding WXP buff to the winning side for the next week could help with.)

etc

These are things that have existed since BETA. Over half a year later, nothing has really changed. The biggest and only real change, is the removal of culling, which isnt an addition, but rather a FIX to a broken system that shouldnt have existed in the first place. The Ranking system is the only real NEW thing they have added in MONTHS and it seems to have been thrown together by 2 people who didnt have to test it or run it past quality assurance before pushing it live. Its like the people responsible for WvW changes and additions were given the task as a punishment, or like its that side job that only gets worked on when everything else is done, and there is extra time.

(edited by Gadzooks.4687)

in WvW

Posted by: Chimaster.8165

Chimaster.8165

Aparently 1 update with most of the changes (“positive” is an opinionated view) equals “a lot” in your book.

The only real “positive” change in my opinion was removing the culling. They did add the rank system in ONE recent patch, after MONTHS of nothing at all. And many would debate the rank system being positive or negative.

Reasons why I believe they dont really put much effort or care about WvW:

1. The length of time it takes for them to change or add anything (months and months)
2. The extremely limited testing they do with any new changes or additions to WvW. I bet a common thing heard in the anet offices is “Oh… wow… we didnt think about that happening” when it comes to the WvW changes they add.
3. Commander pins costing gold
4. Huge imbalance of item based rewards between WvW and PvE
5. Skill/Server Lag getting worse as time goes on.
6. Focus on zerg gameplay over anything else (even if unintentional – which points to #2)
7. Inability for guilds to be in groups larger than 5 people (in a game called GUILD wars.)
8. Map design and ZERO attemp to change or improve it (Too small, objectives are too close together)
9. Queue system is broke. Its more like a lotto than a queue, and sure as heck doesnt keep the number of players on each side balanced by actual numbers. All too often is 100+ from one server vs barely 30 on the other.
10. Complete lack of server wide and personal incentive to win each week, aside from bragging rights. (something as simple as awarding WXP buff to the winning side for the next week could help with.)

etc

These are things that have existed since BETA. Over half a year later, nothing has really changed. The biggest and only real change, is the removal of culling, which isnt an addition, but rather a FIX to a broken system that shouldnt have existed in the first place. The Ranking system is the only real NEW thing they have added in MONTHS and it seems to have been thrown together by 2 people who didnt have to test it or run it past quality assurance before pushing it live. Its like the people responsible for WvW changes and additions were given the task as a punishment, or like its that side job that only gets worked on when everything else is done, and there is extra time.

I agree

in WvW

Posted by: Terra Dactyl.2047

Terra Dactyl.2047

“We can’t split NA and EU reset timers” -> After 8 months of that response to EU players requesting a split reset time, they move the timer to an awful time for NA and cause an uproar -> 5 DAYS later, we have split reset timers. I’m in NA and I still think that’s infuriating. What that says to me is that they didn’t even try until after the fact. 8 months they said “no we can’t”, we finally made them try, and 5 days later they say “oh, I guess we can, whoops”.

That says “WvW is an afterthought”. I like wvw, I like most of the rest of the game when there’s time, but WvW definitely gets less attention from the devs than spvp (good luck making bunkerfest an e-sport. Yawn.) and pve.

Less content. Skills and mechanics balanced around spvp (or pve) rather than wvw. Drop rates on rares are easily less than 1% what they are in pve. (2 exotics in 800+ hours in wvw and over 30k player kills, ignoring NPCs, who probably dropped both exotics. That’s ONE high level map completion. Saying I’ve had 40 yellows in that time would be a very generous estimate.) Money in general comes in at maybe 1/4 the rate of pve, probably lower. I average 1g every 2 hours and that’s probably higher than most. That’s 1 or 2 lucky dungeon paths (half hour tops). I’d probably be able to buy 3 or more legendaries outright if I dumped that time into pve instead.

They’re finally balancing something around WvW in the upcoming patch (mesmer confusion), while blowing up several other builds and buffing already incredibly strong classes (unblockable epidemic, reduced CC on warriors WITH free regen) with spvp oriented changes.

I’m not sure if they’re clueless or just don’t care, and I’m not sure which would be worse.

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I think the fact that we’re seeing positive changes now more than likely means we have a competent person who pays attention in charge of WvW.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Interesting premise you have there.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in WvW

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

I know there have been rankings, and some balancing with maybe the promise of seperating in a 3-split where WvW gets it’s own balancing.

But all in all I’m still waiting for that big WvW patch.
I haven’t seen anything remotely exciting added to WvW at all.
It’s not bad as it is, but that ‘big’ patch? No clue what it was supposed to be…

It’s not up to us to ‘make the dev’s care about WvW’.
If they don’t care enough, than that’s extremely sad since it is their game.

Make the best game you can, collect money because people simply can’t stop playing and buying stuff to increase their enjoyment of the game..
And not: make the most profitable game you can, basing changes on the ammount of money they can make.
This game sees far too many lucrative pve changes, compared to the less lucrative pvp changes they could add.
It’s their choice, their game… but our money in the end.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in WvW

Posted by: Rob.7624

Rob.7624

Well whatever their outcome will be.
If this does happen I promise you I will be the first in the queue to the gemstore to buy 10 stacks of whatever OP buff I can get or magic killing deathray gun.

You all know you’ll do it too.

Anet I see some money to be made here.
Pay 2 Win all the way.

Commander Bird Song
Northern Shiverpeaks Night Crew
Os Guild

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

They did add the rank system in ONE recent patch, after MONTHS of nothing at all. And many would debate the rank system being positive or negative.

Yeah! I bet the WvW Team was just laying around in their office for months doing nothing. They had this Magical Wand of Fixing Culling they could have waved at any time but they were too lazy to get up to use it until now.

in WvW

Posted by: Jewel.1457

Jewel.1457

forget the stupid cash shop just charge me a subscription to play wvw…would be happy as long as updates where semi consistent

Gamey Blog: Healing the Masses - with the soul of thine enemy
Eriena of JQ-warrior forever

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

Add armor skins, weapon skins … and that’s really all pvp players care to differentiate. Some siege skins may also sell.

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

Posted by: jojojoon.8607

jojojoon.8607

Of all the cash shop games I’ve played, the #1 item sold is usually armor/outfit skins. The huge problem with the armor/outfit skins in this game is that it only works in a town. This week, I’ve been in a town 0 times. No one buys those outfit skins because they can’t wear them anywhere else except at a town. The new plushie backpack actually works in wvw and I see them everywhere. Make those outfit wearable in wvw and a ton of wvw players will buy one.

in WvW

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

with the incoming patch of nerfing confusion and restoring stealth reveal back to 3 sec, do you really think Anet devs understand or care about WvW? I personally dont think so.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer