How to motivate our commander? Suggestion?

in WvW

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

I need suggestion: because sometime i see they get frustrate and depress: give up and leave. It is not easy job because 1 commander have to lead a very large group and it can be frustrate and hard.

Sometime i notice in my server: some commander just stand and not want to go or sometime i notice some just leaving the zerg and no one know where commander left. Commander did not server hop but just leave zerg.

Like yesterday, that same happen and i send message to commander and ask why just left us zerg at a location? Commander said, was frustrate and said sorry. I ask commander what can i do to motivate? commander send smile message.

Suggestion: i am thinking about sending server commander blueprint to motivate them.

Any other suggestion?

I want to share this with you player: quote

“Why Leadership is hard”

1.Leadership decisions may involve a struggle with morality
2.The easy/cheap/quick path (of least resistance) is often not the right one
3.Many decisions reside in a gray area: there are no clear cut correct answers
4.There will either not be enough ideas on how to proceed or there will be too many ideas. If the former, need to figure out how to stimulate more; if the latter, need to be able to sift through and find the diamonds in the rough
5.Decisions must be made with all the facts
6.It’s necessary to be nice to people you may genuinely dislike
7.It may be necessary to be careful when the first instinct is to be impulsive
8.It may be necessary to be composed when the inclination is to scream
9.It may be necessary to commit when it is easier to waffle, procrastinate, or “pass the buck”
It may be necessary to say “no” to an unhappy audience
10.Leadership is a lonely act. It’s lonely at the top. This is the case even more so when leading others, because the burden of leadership is that much greater, and the number of unaffiliated people to whom one can vent or from whom one can seek advice is relatively smaller

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

Play better. Listen to Instructions.

Dodge Roll. Bring a class that will balance out your zerg.

Commanders rage quit because their zergs are inept and are not able to play to their satisfaction.

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Especially in EotM you feel much to often as supervising a Kindergarten
But usually I tell them why I leave, giving them a (unused) chance to learn.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: the krytan assassin.9235

the krytan assassin.9235

there are several reasons why a commander would detag:

1. zerglings not listening
2. enemy blob outnumbers them greatly giving the commander a feeling of, it doesn’t matter what i do because they just keep rolling over us
3. irl stuff
4. commander sniping
5. enemy zergs not fighting/no challenge
6. mission completed (downtiered every object on map etc)
7. K-train only
8. no scouts/no reports

Most of these problems cannot be solved by the server itself. there are 4 things that the server can do to make it more comfy for the commander:
1. try to stay active, go on teamspeak (or any other voice communication of your server)
2. try to talk the commander on TS during off combat. Being a commander can feel really autistic, sometimes it looks like your just talking to yourself which is kinda annoying. Keeping the chatting up is 1. a good moodbooster for the zerg, 2. holds the commander active instead of slowly falling asleep
3. scout objectives and give decent reports. Decent reports include: location, server, numbers, sieges. (Note: even if they don’t engage on a tower, feel free to report to commander. knowing the enemy’s position can affect his decisionmaking
4. try to support the commander with sieges, food, banners and bonfires. especially sieges are always welcome. A good way to support your commanders is by making a serverbank. Commanders don’t have to worry about his own cashflow and feel supported this way. Incase you don’t want to spend any cash on sieges you can also decide to use some of your skillpoints to upgrade normal rams to superiors, (almost) all commanders will happily send you the materials and normal sieges to make them.
Ofc if there is no serverbank/you prefer to send it to the commander personal it’s totally fine aswell

DDD|elementalist| Piken commander|RaW|

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Gold helps too.. Just saying. We spend a lot of it.

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

in WvW

DarkSyze.8627

good suggestion

Ankur

in WvW

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

As a commander who is often frustrated by those that I lead, I can tell you the number one thing that would help is to actively take steps to better yourself as a player, and to help others better themselves. The primary thing that makes me want to detag is people making mistakes when I am directly telling them what they need to do. Take active steps to open a dialogue with the people you play with. Ask commanders and other players for advice. Ask not just “where am I needed?” or “where is the zerg?”, but things like “how is our map?” or “what is the situation?”. And please, if a commander is on teamspeak, join them (even if you don’t have a mic, I’m sure you can listen). Also if you are going to follow someone in WvW, please make an active effort to be on the same page as them and help them get things done. You need to listen and understand, not just blindly follow.

And it really helps to learn not only HOW, but WHEN to fight. Especially in fights, keep a close eye on the tag (I keep one eye on the minimap) and make sure you don’t lose the commander. Let the commander drop siege, and pay attention so you can build it as fast as possible when it is dropped. Also try and carry as much supply as you can. I often try to maintain a +5 buff on a nearby camp, when leading.

But above all – always try to be learning, and helping others learn. Join a coordinated guild, attend/run events that teach things, ask questions of more experienced players, look up builds online, practice in pvp or dueling in open field WvW. Always ask yourself “what can I be doing better?”. If you die: why? If you lost the tag: why? If you don’t have supply: why? Placing blame is easy. Creating a situation where you make a difference is hard, but it’s what everyone needs to do.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

(edited by Curo.2483)

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Play better?

1. Play a useful class. Ex. Guard, Warrior, Ele, Necro.

2. Get on TS, Mumble, Vent Ex. Voice coms.

3. Call out your skills, Waters, CC, Etc.

4. Stay tight on commander tag.

5. Do not squirrel after roamers.

6. Listen to the commander, and pay attention.

7. Use your brain if commander throws down some siege it means it needs to be built. A commander shouldn’t have to tell people to build in Chat for anyone to build something.

8. Party up and make decent partys. Don’t bring uplevels.

Failure to do simple things like I listed will cause a commander to rage. These are simple things and doesn’t take a rocket scientist.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in WvW

Curo.2483

Play better?

1. Play a useful class. Ex. Guard, Warrior, Ele, Necro.

2. Get on TS, Mumble, Vent Ex. Voice coms.

3. Call out your skills, Waters, CC, Etc.

4. Stay tight on commander tag.

5. Do not squirrel after roamers.

6. Listen to the commander, and pay attention.

7. Use your brain if commander throws down some siege it means it needs to be built. A commander shouldn’t have to tell people to build in Chat for anyone to build something.

8. Party up and make decent partys. Don’t bring uplevels.

Failure to do simple things like I listed will cause a commander to rage. These are simple things and doesn’t take a rocket scientist.

I just want to emphasize that these really are simple things. They are core to the WvW game mode, and yet seem to be ignored by a majority of players in WvW. It’s a common theme for people to expect a free ride in GW2 (see: world boss 1-spamming), and not actually trying to learn the game. GW2 is quite complex, and needs to be learned just like you would thrive to better yourself in league of legends or something.

in WvW

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

Give them siege and cookies. Tell them they are awesome for what they do. I think that’s all you can do. There will always be people who fail to listen or refuse TS for whatever reason.

I don’t really blame players for refusing TS though. Not speaking of my server, but I’ve been in some wonky TS’s with strangers and things can get awkward/annoying/loud/raunchy and so much more. So I get why people dislike TS, but I think they should still use it. My server seems to be polite, but I only hop in TS when requested by the commander.

in WvW

DarkSyze.8627

I will share suggestion with player in server. I Appreciate

Ankur

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Give them siege and cookies. Tell them they are awesome for what they do. I think that’s all you can do. There will always be people who fail to listen or refuse TS for whatever reason.

This.

After they say “I’m tagging off now”, say something like “Thanks for leading!” or “Thanks for tagging up!” – even if the session wasn’t that great (maybe lost a lot of fights, or was just karma training).

If you are roaming / scouting, give accurate reports on what’s happening, eg.: server, number, objective that is under attack.

And don’t blame if he doesn’t rush to save it, there might be 4 others whispering him/her about where help is needed.

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Show him some kittens.

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

How to motivate our commander?

Pin up yourself. Be a self motivator.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

DarkSyze.8627

Pin up yourself, be a self motivator? if you want be serious, be serious!. do research of me- get more information about me in forum search instead of make rude comment. (I can not be commander because i am not capable for position: i am a little new still).

I have suggestion for you: you need to learn

http://www.wikihow.com/Say-What-You-Mean-Without-Being-Mean

http://www.inc.com/articles/2000/07/19634.html

Ankur

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Pin up yourself, if you want be serious, be serious!. do research.

Rude? I am sorry, I didn’t know this thread was about you, perhaps you should lay your ego aside for a minute. I was under the impression it was about commanding in general and how to motivate them. My suggesting was not referring to you specifically. It refers to the collective “you” of the readers who are not commanders, but are reading the discussion or participating it in. I am suggesting to them, to aid in the calling.

Why are you against the idea of suggesting other players become new commanders and pin up when the existing ones get frustrated and leave or run out of time?

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

(edited by coglin.1867)

in WvW

Posted by: McViolin.8547

McViolin.8547

What kittenes me off the most when commanding PUG’s is when I’m about to engage an enemy and most of my PUG’s get one pushed because they’re using PVE builds.

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

Top reasons to rage-quit:

1. Queue on map, only 10 on tag
2. People who are rude when you ask folks to join on VoiP
3. People who have 8 character slots who are all lvl 80, but bring a ranger anyway
4. SQUIRREL!
5. Autistic scouting: “inc!”; “where, which server, how many”…10 seconds pass…" at (point furthest from your zerg)"; “Do they have siege down and how many?”…20 seconds with no answer…you waypoint and arrive in time to see 3 people chased off by defenders.

If you are playing WvW and actually want to win, or at least play well; get on tag, listen, and follow as best as you can.

If the commander is odious or you are just not grooving on the experience, either find a non-direct way to help (walk yaks, scout, etc) or swap maps and find someone you can play with. Don’t be dead weight.

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

For myself I don’t pugmand anymore…..

When you get into a WvW guild that raids, you’ll notice that everyone stacks up, everyone has builds that supports one another and people don’t run away chasing after a perma stealth thief and his PU mesmer friend and everyone is on TS…

When you pugmand: 20 people on you can’t build 1 superior ram but are active enough to drop every field / attack ever made on a reinforced gate, a thief comes and half your zerg chases him, then they bail to a local camp and while they are there an enemy zerg rocks up and slaughters you, you take a tower and say clear siege, everyone runs to lords and gets farmed by ac’s and so on…….. then theres uplevels and backseat drivers who throw useless siege everywhere and tell you to take kitten for map completion and what not…

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Curo.2483

What kittenes me off the most when commanding PUG’s is when I’m about to engage an enemy and most of my PUG’s get one pushed because they’re using PVE builds.

To add on this – the PvE mentality is: stand in one place spamming skills, dodging if you take some damage. This simply does NOT cut it for WvW. You need to be proactive rather than reactionary in WvW, in addition to catering your build to fit the team. The commander will move you around to avoid damage, and call out when damage spikes are needed to capitalize on an enemy’s weakness. In a WvW zerg, you are part of a larger body, rather than a PvE zerg where you are one person trying to get in tags while you wait for something to eventually die to minimal effort. Just look at the difference between how people fight teq and how they fight shatterer. If you play WvW like you are fighting something that basically doesn’t fight back, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

The same reason people fail in WvW is the reason they fail more dynamic fights like Vine Wrath. They are used to putting in minimal effort because they’ve been taught that they can be rewarded by it. GW2 trains its players to be lazy rather than active, despite the active combat system. PvE was originally made to be WAY too easy, and that has stuck into the bulk of players’ heads.

(edited by Curo.2483)

in WvW

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

-listen to commanders and do what they say
-no trolling
-masteries only on siege
-if commanders are using TS and they spam a few times the IP and pass go get TS and join.You dont need to talk, just listen.
-They would love to hear feedback about the enemy around the map as well as from other borders. (this does not involve INC INC INCCCCC spaming when there are 3 players behind you….)

in WvW

Posted by: Boa Cinderella.1298

Boa Cinderella.1298

@ DarkSyze
Did you mention TS / VoIP? It seems you were not in TS and just mapchat?

So I can say there is no way to motivate a commander when people try to force him to lead in map chat and leave him alone in Team Speak. Better not to lead than to lead a chaos raid with people running around like blind confused chickens.

Commanding with map chat is not possible except if there is just NPC on map and no open field fights. Advanced Commanding needs fast reaction of all players around within under a second, needs people that act as fast as ordered: refreshing, veil, push, damage, cc, and needs the required skills in the right time.

But when you see that some people just wait on downstates to put on their personal finisher or run as a long snake behind and spread out scared and die too fast … there would be no gold to hold a commander for going on like that. Who wants to command a bunch of anxious chickens to kill a horde of foxes?

Commanding and following People must fit together somehow. And if this is not possible he should tag off. I think its not the question to do something about the motivation of the commander – its much more a question of changing the unmotivated / lazy / stupid behaviour of players around.

Boa

- Piken – [ONYX]

in WvW

DarkSyze.8627

@ DarkSyze
Did you mention TS / VoIP? It seems you were not in TS and just mapchat?

So I can say there is no way to motivate a commander when people try to force him to lead in map chat and leave him alone in Team Speak. Better not to lead than to lead a chaos raid with people running around like blind confused chickens.

Commanding with map chat is not possible except if there is just NPC on map and no open field fights. Advanced Commanding needs fast reaction of all players around within under a second, needs people that act as fast as ordered: refreshing, veil, push, damage, cc, and needs the required skills in the right time.

But when you see that some people just wait on downstates to put on their personal finisher or run as a long snake behind and spread out scared and die too fast … there would be no gold to hold a commander for going on like that. Who wants to command a bunch of anxious chickens to kill a horde of foxes?

Commanding and following People must fit together somehow. And if this is not possible he should tag off. I think its not the question to do something about the motivation of the commander – its much more a question of changing the unmotivated / lazy / stupid behaviour of players around.

Boa

I agree with you and also about TS/VoiIP: The reason why i do not TS/VoIP is because I am scare to use because other player might call me noob and other name for not be like them, so Thank You! for encourage and motivate

Last, i want to ask you question: do Arena net monitor TS/VoIP for rule violation and policy violation?

Ankur

in WvW

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

Last, i want to ask you question: do Arena net monitor TS/VoIP for rule violation and policy violation?

They do not.

Suggestion: i am thinking about sending server commander blueprint to motivate them.

Your server doesn’t do this already? The majority of my server regularly sends Superior Siege blueprints to Commanders.

I agree with you and also about TS/VoiIP: The reason why i do not TS/VoIP is because I am scare to use because other player might call me noob and other name for not be like them, so Thank You! for encourage and motivate

If you’re uncomfortable at first, there’s honestly very little you need to say. A good Commander will let everyone know throughout the raid what skills he needs called out, and people on TeamSpeak won’t know which in-game character you are unless you tell them, and they certainly won’t know your build or anything like that.

At worst, you might hear something like “Anyone who died falling off that cliff, please go uninstall this game now” or something like that, but it’s not serious, and it’s extremely rare that you ever hear anyone being called out by name in TeamSpeak unless it’s obvious that they are intentionally trolling.

Also, some Commanders like to gather the whole map around them, and some like to run with a smaller group of guildies. The ones who want to run with a specific group usually won’t be in a public TeamSpeak channel, however. You’re much more likely to get helpful advice in a WvW TeamSpeak than any sort of direct criticism, but if a group makes you feel uncomfortable, simply switch TS channels and find a Commander you like. And when you DO find a Commander you enjoy running with, ask how you can join his guild (^_^)!

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]