I Don't Want To Turn Off Team Chat...But!

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfvox.7854

Wolfvox.7854

Anet do you EVER think of what some of your changes are gonna do? i.e. Linking?

The concept of Team Chat is great and if used properly, it would be a great tool. To be able to broadcast to all maps that your T3 Garrison is under attack and needs help would be great!

Not the case. All 4 maps now are cluttered with messages about Pizza, Soiled Panties, Our BL Needs Help, What’s In Your Refrigerator, Homework and How Bored You Are.

If you ask politely to only use team chat for call out emergencies…hold on to your chair! You, your whole family, pets and everything you hold dear might be attacked by Kid Invinceable! Flaming, swearing and all the other things that go with "Don’t Tell Me What To Do, I’ll Do What I Want!

We have TS/Map/Squad and Party. Not everyone has TS. Most Commanders still type out instructions for those ppl who don’t have TS. Kinda hard to see with all the clutter.

If Team Chat name was changed to say EMERGENCY Chat: and hold any abusers accountable for adverse behavior.

Just my opinion but as a LONG time WvW Player and that is 75% of my playing time, I do not have faith in Anet when it comes to WvW. Some of these blunders should never have happened in the first place. You have to be able to see the forest thru the trees!

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Before the team chat change, those same kids were doing the same trolling. Anet didn’t change their behavior. What the change did do was allow us to identify those kids for our block list faster.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Why don’t you simply block the people spamming things you don’t like?

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Whoa whoa, that involves both a right and a left click, that’s asking way too much.

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

You can’t just go and start blocking so many people really. That’s not practical since even the trolls actually have useful information at times. The big issue I see though is much more idle chatter across the BL’s now that they can use Team chat as a global chat. Most people don’t say what BL they are on when they are reporting things… at least not the last time I had Team chat turned on.

I pretty much don’t even “remember” Team chat these days since I really did have to turn it off due to the poor use of it under the new setup. It’s highly unlikely that I will ever turn it on again.

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

You can’t just go and start blocking so many people really. That’s not practical since even the trolls actually have useful information at times. .

Naw.

Cut your losses and just block.

You can get your info elsewhere.

Trolls need attention to survive.

Deny them that and perhaps they’ll return to the land of normal human being.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

I am one of those people who joke in a team chat. I don’t care if someone get kitten with my jokes and block me, I’m not interested in some easily offended carebear either.
However I am also a roamer and I do report stuff that might interest other people.

If you really want to get information out of “trolls” you need to pay the price. The question is: Is it worth it?

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Nope. I’ll get that info for everyone with my server network, without the trolling

Jokes are fine and add to server culture. I’m talking about the folks that sit on map and try to demoralize the commander as trolls. Just block em.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

You can’t just go and start blocking so many people really. That’s not practical since even the trolls actually have useful information at times.

Sure you can – I have a couple guildies who blocked dozens on day 1. (Their block lists were already hundreds of people long, so that was hardly a surprise.)

Surely trolls are not the only ones with useful information. But even if they’re not blocked, I’m not going to show up to defend something if the only person saying it needs defending is some muppet whose word I don’t trust anyway.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I am just going to follow the previous posts. If someone is a troll, there’s no reason to trust their calls either, and in any case just because they might have valuable information doesn’t justify their place. However, I mostly ignore the chatter in chat anyways and it’s never really been an obstruction to getting proper info.

I mean the garbage bin over there might have a few hundred dollar bills in it, but it doesn’t mean that rummaging through it is a good idea.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

You can’t just go and start blocking so many people really. That’s not practical since even the trolls actually have useful information at times.

Sure you can – I have a couple guildies who blocked dozens on day 1. (Their block lists were already hundreds of people long, so that was hardly a surprise.)

Surely trolls are not the only ones with useful information. But even if they’re not blocked, I’m not going to show up to defend something if the only person saying it needs defending is some muppet whose word I don’t trust anyway.

Nailed it.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I always add reliable scouts to my contacts list. So why would I need to get that information from a guy who spams item links in chat? /block /block /block

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

Nailed it.

Yes I actually agree with this.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The concept of Team Chat is great and if used properly, it would be a great tool. To be able to broadcast to all maps that your T3 Garrison is under attack and needs help would be great!

Not the case. All 4 maps now are cluttered with messages about Pizza, Soiled Panties, Our BL Needs Help, What’s In Your Refrigerator, Homework and How Bored You Are.

This is a server problem not an issue with the system.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

A little fun in chat is great when things get boring. If someone is really trolling then block works fine. If you enjoy even more chaos, get in TS.

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Here the thing /map chat covers the map /team chat also coves the map only why would you even need to have one vs the other at the same time. Its a /shot type chat and if your team is only able to see it then that would be a /team chat.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

NO
If one person is even slightly offended by a comment the administration must smite said offender for the sake of the entire communities feels!!!1

in WvW

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

I am one of those people who joke in a team chat. I don’t care if someone get kitten with my jokes and block me, I’m not interested in some easily offended carebear either.
However I am also a roamer and I do report stuff that might interest other people.

If you really want to get information out of “trolls” you need to pay the price. The question is: Is it worth it?

Nope not at all, aswell to block nuggets so that at least you can see proper scout reports without wading through bullkitten

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

My favorite are the ESL players who think winning a few tournaments gives them the right to go into WvW and type in team chat:

“40 man blob on the left”
“Commander you have a blob behind you”
“Keep under attack!”

And so on and so forth. You can also see these ESL players doing lots of other things infringing on how players play the game, some even record themselves doing it.

Offending someone with your own point of view so long as it’s not extreme is not what we’re talking about, we’re talking about people who are deliberately offensive and trying to get laughs from annoying or at the expensive of other players.

in WvW

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Block list has a limited size, you know. It is useful, but mostly as a short-term solution only.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Block list has a limited size, you know. It is useful, but mostly as a short-term solution only.

Oh I didn’t know that. I don’t go left and right blocking everyone because of some joke like some people do. The only ones in my block list are gold sellers…

in WvW

Posted by: Kylden Ar.3724

Kylden Ar.3724

I turned it off. I am usually roaming anyway and TC doesn’t listen to Kaineng scouts.

Kylden
Leader of TACO mini-roamer guild, Kaineng.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

The problem with blocking is that it doesn’t solve the issue of poisonous chat. The kittenbags are still affecting the server and people who come in to do some WvW.

Turning off your Team Chat is not the solution because its actually a good feature but because of punks with inferiority complexes irl we can’t have nice things.

I think Anet need to add the suppression to Team Chat. Why is it on Map but not Team? There’s no need for anyone to be talking a lot in there anyway. Too much talk also devalues its purpose which is to be able to make calls to other maps.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

I think Anet need to add the suppression to Team Chat. Why is it on Map but not Team? There’s no need for anyone to be talking a lot in there anyway. Too much talk also devalues its purpose which is to be able to make calls to other maps.

Sure, supression would be nice. I wouldn’t have to see a waypoint spammed by some idiot that think we didn’t see it the first time he linked. Nothing annoys me more than see:
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]
[Garrison Waypoint]

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

For the most part suppression won’t work anyway. From what I’ve seen in the last day or so it’s a number of people chatting about everything and anything… some of it actually wvw related. It’s not one person entering multiple messages one after the other so a suppression filter could actually pick it up anyway.

I’m using Team Chat once again and blocking out the ones that appear to be “trolls” of the channel. Idle chat isn’t terrible if it’s slow moving. Lots of chat about nothing is a pain and results in blocking. Only takes a second or two to block.

As for the useful Team messages… it’s not too hard to tell quickly if you need to take a messages seriously… and of course I will use it when NEEDED to ask for help, providing all the info needed, etc..

in WvW

Posted by: QuickRain.4735

QuickRain.4735

Can we just ban the words of Happy Birthday, Happy BD and all sorts of variations of it please im tired of seeing Happy BD quickrain everyday I log into wvw for 3 hours straight

in WvW

Posted by: zedapoc.1493

zedapoc.1493

I’ve had everything but guild chat, say chat, and whispers turned off for years now and couldn’t be more pleased with the results. I’d recommend it to anyone.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

I never see inappropriate comments in team chat. Maybe you should report those guys on your server or just block them.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

I never see inappropriate comments in team chat. Maybe you should report those guys on your server or just block them.

While there are people who post some disgusting things sometimes, I don’t think it’s the case here. I would bet that the OP is one of these guys who says “DON’T USE THE TEAM CHAT FOR IDLE CHATTER” on Team Chat when there are people talking about somenthing else on it. The same kind of people who screams “CLEAR THE COMMS” on TS just because people are chatting. I think these people are more toxic than the said “trolls” in the chat.

in WvW

Posted by: TheHeretic.3529

TheHeretic.3529

I had to start blocking people. I give one reminder “Team chat is not for general conversations.” If they continue or bark at me, I block them.

That’s the sad reality of it that people don’t realize. Team chat is for TEAMWORK. If it’s not used properly, people will just turn off teamchat or block the ones filling it with garbage.

Don’t be that person. Don’t get blocked.

Maybe I’m a thorn in your perfection
A heretic’s voice in your head
A stargazer, releaser

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

You obviously are not on Maguuma, or linked with Mag… I have so many blocked that I have just given up again now and turned Team chat back off.. Truly not worth it.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Maguuma chat is… Special…
It always been like that but only on EBG. Now they can spread to all 4 maps.

in WvW

Posted by: Honest John.4673

Honest John.4673

I’m a good scout and give good call outs but I’ve probably been blocked by half the people on my server for spamming the chat once. I don’t appreciate being called a troll when I’m not.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

I’m a good scout and give good call outs but I’ve probably been blocked by half the people on my server for spamming the chat once. I don’t appreciate being called a troll when I’m not.

It’s funny how people seen to be able to read the chat to tell we are doing idle chatter but think it’s too hard to see the calls made on it. Honestly, I can see it all on chat with only gold sellers blocked.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Passive chat makes the game feel more like a community versus a job. I get the clear comms during battles but in downtime, sometimes it’s nice to get to know the people you run with and it adds to the fun of the game/community development. If people get too stern with rules and start becoming almost like prison guards, it just makes the rest of the players revolt naturally, and add poor tasteless drivel in spite, just to kitten off some one trying to lay down the law.

Not going to comment on Mags, but I’m sure if it’s always been historically that way, it’s inbred into the community itself and something people (new players or new to the WvW community) just have to get used to.

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Nah, I’m still alive, but I’m a sophisticated troll.

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

It’s funny how people seen to be able to read the chat to tell we are doing idle chatter but think it’s too hard to see the calls made on it. Honestly, I can see it all on chat with only gold sellers blocked.

lol, depending on the volume yes. Depending on the server you are on you may experience more volume than others. I don’t consider all chatterers trolls at all. But idle chat was actually never this prolific ’til after this global Team chat.

But, it is what it is and will remain that way obviously. Jeknar you rock for having a great filter… for me it’s too much to be running, fighting… and expect myself to be able to catch that one important callout amongst the other messages. Filtering my chat down to map and squad chat seems to work much better.. for me

in WvW

Posted by: Rink.6108

Rink.6108

I think it is just until people are used to teamchat and realize it is mostly for emergencies. Many people haven’t noticed, that one chat is for all maps and one just for the map they are on, so mistakes happen. It’s not that bad in lower tiers though and I personally even like to read the occasional chat between heavy fights as a distraction. Additionally on my server many of those conversations are hilarious.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I think Anet need to add the suppression to Team Chat. Why is it on Map but not Team?

I agree with this. It would appear to solve these sorts of problems.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

Make different tabs for different info?

Just a suggestion…

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

I know the solution for this. Introduce a new chat channel “Barrens Chat”, that would reduce the clutter.

in WvW

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

Nah, I’m still alive, but I’m a sophisticated troll.

AHahahahah

I am as well welcome to the club. Being one since my AF, and Eve Online days. Little cares giving about fragile minded people who can’t take a joke or two. I don’t want to talk to them anyways. It’s the ones that can give it as well as they can take are the ones that interest me more, and are fun to talk to.

More when you are on a Server who is “ALWAYS” Outnumber on everymap, and still attempts to omni-blob like zombies gaining no footing(SoS btw). I spent my money for the gems to move to said server on a false pretense from a person I thought was my friend. But as many gaming human beings have proved in the past they either just want me for my commanding skills or because I’m a decent player without the Zerglings to hold my hand 24/7 whenever I’m on. I only make jokes in team chat to cause some fun for other like minded players. All of the fragile minded/ego players, are mostly boring spam F1 for life zerglings anyways, so meh. I have no interest with them to begin with. I

It’s ok I’ve already came to terms with the fact. I’m one of those characters that you are either going to love me or hate there is no in between. Which even one you fall in, there’s a %99.999999 chance the the feeling is completely mutual. All in good fun. You don’t like it there is a block feature, you should use it. Problem solved!

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

(edited by Reaper Alim.4176)

in WvW

Posted by: Snowpea.5469

Snowpea.5469

The concept of Team Chat is great and if used properly, it would be a great tool….

I think it would be great to have a skill that allows you to hit a single button and and give a sit-rep to a dedicated ‘WvW’ channel. Whatever is in the area could be auto-reported into a channel… E.g: "server x – garrison water gate, golem number xx, invaders numbers xx’.

in WvW

Posted by: RageBear.8957

RageBear.8957

Introduce a Global Chat option? With a seperate window?

Some of the conversations and discussions are interesting and being able to participate and listen in on them them while hopping maps is nice but having it having it in the same channel as global call outs is a pain… A Global Chat channel in a seperate toggle-able window would allow one to happen without being a disruption to the other as well as make it easier to block the useless trolls.

in WvW

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

Team chat is undeniably useful. All those negative points you listed can be applied anywhere and not just team chat.

gaem not made for mi
===========

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Some of the conversations and discussions are interesting and being able to participate and listen in on them them while hopping maps is nice but having it having it in the same channel as global call outs is a pain… A Global Chat channel in a seperate toggle-able window would allow one to happen without being a disruption to the other as well as make it easier to block the useless trolls.

This (and other desires above) is exactly why players created community WvW guilds since the big guild overhaul that allowed all chat channels at once. We even got simple player moderation of the chat – insult others and its guildkick.

Teamchat or global chat render that moot with little to no advantage for WvW or engagement from the WvW community.

Any change that kills guilds is a bad change.

in WvW

Reaper Alim.4176

This (and other desires above) is exactly why players created community WvW guilds since the big guild overhaul that allowed all chat channels at once. We even got simple player moderation of the chat – insult others and its guildkick.

Teamchat or global chat render that moot with little to no advantage for WvW or engagement from the WvW community.

How does this kills guilds? The only guilds I can see this killing are the terribad ones that just mass recruit players just fail at equal number fights or run from them. The ones that actually have tactics beyond just plain “Just throw more bodies at the problem” will be just fine.

But at least I admit it!

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

How does this kills guilds? The only guilds I can see this killing are the terribad ones that just mass recruit players just fail at equal number fights or run from them. The ones that actually have tactics beyond just plain “Just throw more bodies at the problem” will be just fine.

The members of a community guild used for cross-map coms would by definition be the same that raid with the very best guilds but hey if you want to call them terribad thats on you.

Point is its yet another thing that take away player involvement from WvW by dumbing it down. I rank it in the same class as gimping the role of scouts by introducing automated scouting or gimping players choosing objective upgrades by making it automatic.

in WvW

Reaper Alim.4176

The members of a community guild used for cross-map coms would by definition be the same that raid with the very best guilds but hey if you want to call them terribad thats on you.

Point is its yet another thing that take away player involvement from WvW by dumbing it down. I rank it in the same class as gimping the role of scouts by introducing automated scouting or gimping players choosing objective upgrades by making it automatic.

I don’t agree I think it’s adding more involvement to the total WvW of a server. And pretty much is nerfing the whole unwanted politicking, you had to do without this information. Tho I do believe ANet needs to do alot more to nerf politicking or go home. Too many “fragile spam F1 monkey egos” for politicking to be the main drive of a game mode.

Also I think ANet should give solo roamers some actually tools, to out play a mindless F1 spamming blob.(Nerf mindless throw more numbers at the problem play.) But that’s just my opinion.

But at least I admit it!

(edited by Reaper Alim.4176)

in WvW

Posted by: RageBear.8957

RageBear.8957

Not everyone has the guild slots for that, nor can everyone who participates in WvW fit in a single guild. Linked servers also complicates this.

Also, if your guild lives purely off guild chat, it’s not really a guild so in my opinion, there’s not real loss. There’s more to guilds then the chat window.