I just don't get WvW

I just don't get WvW

in WvW

Posted by: KilgoreTrowt.7603

KilgoreTrowt.7603

I’m a huge pvp fan in other MMO’s (wow, mostly). I really enjoy sPvP (though I’m a little frustrated that I can’t take anything out of the sPvP world.

I have tried WvW a number of times. I’m part of a large guild that does a lot of WvW. I’ve tried it on my own…I’ve tried with others…I’ve tried with friends…I just don’t get it. I can’t figure out what I’m supposed to do or what the reward is supposed to be. To me everything is just a zerg clobber. Either you have more people than the other side or you don’t, it doesn’t really matter what you do.

Yet everyone talks about how great it is….what am I missing???

Thank you for some guidance.
(Btw, I ask my guild this question almost every day and all they say is that I haven’t done it enough…that’s not an answer)

I just don't get WvW

in WvW

Posted by: LegoTechnic.5910

LegoTechnic.5910

That feeling you get while in a zerg as you steamroll the opposition? About like finding 20 cents in the street.

That feeling you get while a zerg steamrolls over you? Like getting mugged for those 20 cents.

That feeling you get while PvE’ing in the Wv3 map and someone completely trounces you small-scale? Like the mugger spit on you while he took it.

That feeling you get when you encounter a small group and triumph? Like finding $20 on the ground after the mugger left.

That feeling you get when you use siege to creatively break into a well-defended location? Like finding out that $20 is actually $100.

That feeling you get when you and a small group successfully use siege to defend a location against huge odds for longer than 10 minutes? Like spending that $100 on something really awesome.

That feeling you get when you become a commander and try to lead your forces to victory? Like being the mugger when he realizes all he got out of it was 20 cents.

I just don't get WvW

in WvW

Posted by: buki.3108

buki.3108

That was quite possibly the best explanation of WvW ever.

I just don't get WvW

in WvW

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

I agree. I hate analogies, but that was spot on.

I just don't get WvW

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

WvW is a lot of map reading and terrain that isn’t apparent if you’re just following someone around without trying to look at the big picture. A lotta conversations with leaders in my guild kinda showed me what sort of decisions go into where to go and how to get there. Often the fight once you get there is just the punctuation at the end of the sentence if you planned right.

If you’re interested in seeing what the charm is, go with your guildies and try to make your own decisions on where to go on the map and see how they match up with what they are doing.

Gate of Madness

I just don't get WvW

in WvW

Posted by: thiagoperne.7340

thiagoperne.7340

you are a huge pvp fan and thinks wvw everything is just a zerg clobber? something is not right.

I just don't get WvW

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

Wvw as it is intended is largely just a social experience. It’s not really pvp. It’s just hanging around with your guildies grinding points by killing guards and doors. If you are more into actual pvp, you probably won’t ever enjoy playing it like that.

However, if you forget about earning imaginary points and just roam around pvping, you might find yourself having fun. Roaming pvp is a lot more dynamic than spvp because you never know where, what, or when you’re going to fight. There is no timer, no starting gates, no autobalance, just a big zone filled with people for you to kill.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

I just don't get WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

you are a huge pvp fan and thinks wvw everything is just a zerg clobber? something is not right.

Maybe he’s from some lower Tier server, where people keep crying that WvW is in fact Zerg v Zerg v Zerg.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

I just don't get WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

There is a lot of strateg in wvw that a lot of people don’t realize. I good team will have its main zerg which is what most people c running around killing everything. What they don’t c is the small groups capping camps, killing yaks, ganking reinforcements, scouting the enemy, and contesting way points. Much of the coordination goes on over voice coms which make the average person unaware it is even happening.

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

I just don't get WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Aeden.5896

Aeden.5896

I also come from WoW so I know what you mean Kilgore. WvW feels like a mix of open world PvP and Alterac Valley to me.

You know what to do. Capture and defend objectives to get server points. Kill enemies to get badges of honor.

But battleground “honor” like rewards? It’s not there. I think it should be. There’d be a more interest in WvW if there were desirable rewards that you could get through WvW (BoH gear isn’t that, it’s kittenedly expensive, ugly and few people want the stats). The same would be great with sPvP.

Here’s the way I see it. In GW2, WvW is where you earn the recognition we all crave in MMO’s. Let’s say you have your Abyss CoF armor and craft a legendary. You look like a commander in Satan’s army. Sweet. But then what? Stand around in Lion’s Arch? Grind to fractal level 50? I guess. But IMO, you go to WvW. That’s end game. It’s the place to show off the armor (PVE achievements) and skill (PVP prowess) you’ve perfected. That’s where you make a name for yourself and people think “oh kitten Kilgore’s going beast mode again!”

The only other place I think you can sort of show off your armor and skills is farming Orr events, but I can’t see anyone making that their end game.