[Idea] Scale population caps for borderlands

in WvW

Posted by: Aephyx.2351

Aephyx.2351

Have the population caps per borderland scale with the average amount of players actually present per server.

Example: Lets say server A has 100 people in borderland A, server B has 75 people in borderland A, and server C has 50 people in borderland A. The game will then cap the population for borderland A at 75 people. What that will mean for server A who already has 100 people is that they will not have any more new joins until their pop drops below 75. This will still allow the high pop server to play, but yes it will increase their queues. However, this will also give the lower pop servers at least a better chance to field a comparable army to counter them. So even if the both losing servers coordinated to drop out completely from their borderlands, the dominant server could still mop up things, but at a slower pace.

I know that people who play on full servers or at night have just as much right to play as prime timers, but hopefully those that play late at night also want some time of competition to go against instead of a few solo players and some npcs.

I just think that the spirit of what GW2 is trying to with pvp and putting skill first is being squandered by having the population of the server being a major factor on who wins. If they ever actually fix the matchmaking, then chances are my server will be stuck facing the same 3-5 servers from now until who knows when. What if our server actually has better skilled players, coordination, tactics, yada yada than some higher pop servers? It wouldn’t matter because we are ranked lower due to losing our stuff at night through no fault of our own or the server that is higher pop. It would be because of design.

Transferring to higher pop server isn’t a solution.

in WvW

Posted by: Tzash.5748

Tzash.5748

Its nice of you to acknowledge that off peak players have the same right as you to play, but you then make a suggestion to restrict their access. How is that fair?

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Increasing Queue times should not be an option either

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Nothing is stopping the off-peak people to transfer to lower population off-peak realms, if they are hitting a queue due to this.

in WvW

Aephyx.2351

@Tzash and Elthurien,
I don’t want to completely restrict anyone from playing the game, however surely you would rather fight more people than NPCs, right? I mean why queue up for wvw if all you are going to mostly fight is a handful of players defending or guards and keep lords anyways? You don’t want there to be any type of closer competition at all? I really hope that isn’t the case. Since this an idea thread, come up with an alternate idea instead just saying things are fine.

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

It’s not okay to limit people’s playing by having a queue, but it’s okay to limit people’s playing by being outnumbered hopelessly.

Logic.

in WvW

Tzash.5748

@Tzash and Elthurien,
I don’t want to completely restrict anyone from playing the game, however surely you would rather fight more people than NPCs, right? I mean why queue up for wvw if all you are going to mostly fight is a handful of players defending or guards and keep lords anyways? You don’t want there to be any type of closer competition at all? I really hope that isn’t the case. Since this an idea thread, come up with an alternate idea instead just saying things are fine.

Talking from a US server perspective here:

You seem to be under the assumption that there is zero competition in off peak times. Not true. You may wake up and find whole maps belonging to one side but that doesn’t mean that there was no contest. Even when my server has controlled everything there were still a decent number of opposition players running around.

Obviously in the current matchups things aren’t fine, but there are server rankings for a reason and next week should be a different story.

in WvW

Tzash.5748

It’s not okay to limit people’s playing by having a queue, but it’s okay to limit people’s playing by being outnumbered hopelessly.

Logic.

Apples vs Oranges.

A queue denies people the ability to play. Being outnumbered means they can still play, they just need to play smarter.

in WvW

Posted by: Kiviar.7063

Kiviar.7063

A queue denies people the ability to play. Being outnumbered means they can still play, they just need to play smarter.

Do you call being camped in your spawn point by a cluster of siege engines because the best your server can muster at your play time is 30 people? I do not.

Every other game has team population balancing, are you saying that if you join a bf3 server and saw 32 people on one side and 16 on the other you would thing “Man i am going to have to play super hard on this one by gum!” no you are going to think that the server needs to balance teams and find another one.

Really a dynamic population cap is the best solution to this problem. It may make the playing field a little more restricted for a small subset of players, but it will at least make it even.

in WvW

Tzash.5748

Do you call being camped in your spawn point by a cluster of siege engines because the best your server can muster at your play time is 30 people? I do not.

Every other game has team population balancing, are you saying that if you join a bf3 server and saw 32 people on one side and 16 on the other you would thing “Man i am going to have to play super hard on this one by gum!” no you are going to think that the server needs to balance teams and find another one.

Really a dynamic population cap is the best solution to this problem. It may make the playing field a little more restricted for a small subset of players, but it will at least make it even.

How on earth is a bf3 game even closely related to WvW? You obviously read my apples vs oranges post and then came up with an example thats even worse.

in WvW

Posted by: Kamos.2897

Kamos.2897

How on earth is a bf3 game even closely related to WvW? You obviously read my apples vs oranges post and then came up with an example thats even worse.

Both games have:

1) Teams
2) Conflicting objectives
3) Unbalanced teams make the game skewed

There! I didn’t even have to think to find similarities.

in WvW

Aephyx.2351

@Tzash and Elthurien,

You seem to be under the assumption that there is zero competition in off peak times. Not true. You may wake up and find whole maps belonging to one side but that doesn’t mean that there was no contest. Even when my server has controlled everything there were still a decent number of opposition players running around.

Obviously in the current match-ups things aren’t fine, but there are server rankings for a reason and next week should be a different story.

In a way you are right, I am kind of under that assumption, but it’s based off of what I see on my server. My guild will almost always have a great showing until at least around 2-3:00 AM EST, but then most of us simply just have to go to sleep to deal with RL and a work day like everyone else. While we are on, our server takes back land and points during prime-time because the playing filed, numbers wise, is even. However, by around 3:00 AM, we almost always have a the “outnumbered” buff, or whatever it’s called. We just simply can’t field enough people to make any decent counter that will stick. We simply don’t have the same amount of people to counter the dominant servers counter-attack. It all just boils down to numbers, it’s as simple as that.

I’m just suggesting/looking for ways to compromise so all servers can have an equal footing. I would think people would want that…. call me crazy.

in WvW

Posted by: Rune Jairusion.4610

Rune Jairusion.4610

@Tzash and Elthurien,

Obviously in the current match-ups things aren’t fine, but there are server rankings for a reason and next week should be a different story.

In a way you are right, I am kind of under that assumption, but it’s based off of what I see on my server. My guild will almost always have a great showing until at least around 2-3:00 AM EST, but then most of us simply just have to go to sleep to deal with RL and a work day like everyone else. While we are on, our server takes back land and points during prime-time because the playing filed, numbers wise, is even. However, by around 3:00 AM, we almost always have a the “outnumbered” buff, or whatever it’s called. We just simply can’t field enough people to make any decent counter that will stick. We simply don’t have the same amount of people to counter the dominant servers counter-attack. It all just boils down to numbers, it’s as simple as that.

I’m just suggesting/looking for ways to compromise so all servers can have an equal footing. I would think people would want that…. call me crazy.

I feel your pain… but if your server can’t ‘hold’ your stuff 24hrs a day, why should you get points for it 24hrs a day? Server populations seem to just be an inherent flaw in the WvW system that AN is unable to get a handle on unfortunately… It makes SO MUCH more sense to pool servers together on teams to even out the differences in population, but clearly whatever servers AN is using are unable to handle any kind of load so that’s just a pipedream. Let’s just hope they learn the lesson for GW3

in WvW

Aephyx.2351

@Tzash and Elthurien,

I feel your pain… but if your server can’t ‘hold’ your stuff 24hrs a day, why should you get points for it 24hrs a day? Server populations seem to just be an inherent flaw in the WvW system that AN is unable to get a handle on unfortunately… It makes SO MUCH more sense to pool servers together on teams to even out the differences in population, but clearly whatever servers AN is using are unable to handle any kind of load so that’s just a pipedream. Let’s just hope they learn the lesson for GW3

I see what you are saying, though I don’t think we should get free points because we can’t hold stuff either. I would just like the ability to hold stuff on a little more equal footing.