Idea: grant Melee fighters passive AoE damage reduction

in WvW

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

By Melee fighter, I mean any character using Melee weapon in main hand.

Grant them a passive exclusive damage reduction to AoE damage and sieges.

Also a slight damage reduction to direct damage abilities based on how many enemies are near the Melee fighter.

This way Melee and survive the Zerg-centric style of PvP that WvW is.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

You have ranged weapons for a reason. If it’s dangerous to enter melee, don’t enter melee.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Knighthonor.4061

You have ranged weapons for a reason. If it’s dangerous to enter melee, don’t enter melee.

The point of this thread was to come up with solutions to the issue of Melee in a Zerg centric range favoring style of gameplay which is WvW.

Forcing ranged, defeats that purpose.

in WvW

Posted by: McNuggetBandit.8376

McNuggetBandit.8376

I still dont see how people struggle with this. You need to use tactics. If your melee don’t charge in the front go around and flank and use reflection skills and LOS to your advantage running stright into them from in the open is a death wish

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

Why give a character who uses a melee range weapon a reduction in damage they take? They already do more damage then most who use their ranged weapons.

Here, lets just buff someone up more, because they choose to not use the weapon best suited for a specific task.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Splintrr.7391

Splintrr.7391

It’s war, you need to adapt. Use ranged when you need to, use Melee when you’re able to, that’s why we are able to switch between 2 setups.

As a guardian I use Sword+Focus for chasing opponents and finishing fights in our favor, I use Scepter+Shield for skirmishing battles/retreats. Don’t just whine when enemies use anti-melee abilities.

Feralblood(Guardian) Splintrr(Ranger)
Warsworn [WAR], Dragonbrand
Evermoor Alliance

in WvW

Posted by: Krathalos.3461

Krathalos.3461

There is no need for a solution to beat zergs in WvW. If you are afraid to die, switch to ranged or flank them. Don’t run in headfirst and expect the game to buff you for being dumb.

in WvW

Knighthonor.4061

Why give a character who uses a melee range weapon a reduction in damage they take? They already do more damage then most who use their ranged weapons.

Here, lets just buff someone up more, because they choose to not use the weapon best suited for a specific task.

The idea is to make it more durable to play with Melee weapons in WvW instead of forced ranged weapons. Melee weapons have nice burst, but it’s useless if you can’t stay alive long enough to use it.

in WvW

Posted by: Odaman.8359

Odaman.8359

I have no issues using melee in wvw. You can’t do it all the time by any means, but when you push melee can do very well. I’m a mesmer though so I can actually go glass cannon and get out when things go bad. For other classes except maybe thief, I can see this being a problem unless you have some defense.

Odaman 80 Mesmer
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Its about kitting up in a way that allows you to get in and out.

I tooled my warrior for high mobility and can get in and out of fights easily and fight in zergfights without dying for the most part. Also, never attack the center alone. There is plenty of room for some fast in and out on the flanks, unless you have an organized strategy of putting at least 20-30 all with melee weapons in the center of an enemy zerg dont just run in there.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

Its about kitting up in a way that allows you to get in and out.

I tooled my warrior for high mobility and can get in and out of fights easily and fight in zergfights without dying for the most part. Also, never attack the center alone. There is plenty of room for some fast in and out on the flanks, unless you have an organized strategy of putting at least 20-30 all with melee weapons in the center of an enemy zerg dont just run in there.

I have to agree completely. There are several ways to interact with zergs. I’ve equipped mainly for toughness and while I sure can’t run head on into the center of an enemy zerg I can work on the front lines and get back (sigil for removing conditions like cripple is necessary to flee ofc), as long as I get coverage from mainly ranged professions along with a few other melee fighters.

That being said, you have 2 weapon sets, you need to use them both, or you’re just like an ele who doesn’t swap attunements. whenever I’m low health I either run away to heal out of combat or I simply swap to my bow and use the firefield burst skill (adrenaline is by now full) and the explosive shot on 3 to deal good damage to a lot of people. thanks to regen, after a while shooting I can swap back to my 2 axes and run/jump back into the fray. I actually die way less than with my solely ranged ele, about 50-100 kills today until I got careless and got immobilized right after removing the crippling effect ;-)

and very importantly: trading post is (relatively) cheap! buy a complete set of a blue lvl80 armor you like (I went with the knights set) and according upgrades. this and weapons only cost me about 1 gold or so and increased my effectiveness dramatically. yes, you probably want that great orange item for 40 gold or so and are saving every coin, but you need to invest in your equipment or you just go down all the time (always with repairing costs of a few silver, in pve with waypoint costs etc). even only blue equip is great, once you have that, you can save for green/yellow/orange..

in WvW

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Roll a warrior. Their survivability makes them very useful in these situations.

With a sword/shield, I ran toward the zerg and back just fine. AoE attacks are nothing to them, you can fire a barrage of arrows or summon a meteor storm but they don’t give a kitten.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in WvW

Posted by: Squishei.5810

Squishei.5810

I play a guardian and have no issues. You just have to play smart. Pop defensive cooldowns get in a fight, and get off before they wear off.

For example pop protection and retaliation, GS 4 skill “leap” in, pop “whirlwind” and double roll out.

in WvW

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

There are no pure melee fighters if you refuse to have a ranged weapon then stop standing in fire. …this thread is silly

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

in WvW

Posted by: Fugly.5287

Fugly.5287

I don’t understand the problem. I use a scepter and dagger quite frequently in WvW as an elementalist, in fact whenever I am not attacking or defending a gate or wall (where I would use a staff). When using these weapons I am constantly switching between melee and 450 – 900 range to maintain full effectiveness. If you are a class which can use 2 weapons, why not switch to suit your needs mid battle?

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

@knighthonor

The idea is to make it more durable to play with Melee weapons in WvW instead of forced ranged weapons. Melee weapons have nice burst, but it’s useless if you can’t stay alive long enough to use it.

I understand that however they are already doing more damage using their melee raged weapons, then players who are using the longer ranged ones. So why do they also need a damage decrease?
It’s about the same as if nuker were to come in, and say “I do high damage, but die in 3 hits, I want a damage reduction passive” You wouldn’t agree with buffing their survivability without nerfing their damage output.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

i don’t understand why my glass cannon build keeps dying when i charge into an opposing team’s zerg. i mean, i’ve pumped up all my power and know i could do some serious hurty, but they just refuse to let me hit them up close. do something, anet.

p.s. i’m also having some serious problems going to the toilet and may need some help there, too. i expect support to call me about that within the next two minutes or i’m going back to wow.