Idea to make Siege Ticking less tedious?

in WvW

Posted by: Skarlett.2304

Skarlett.2304

My idea is kind of simple, Like if a siege is within a Camp boundaries (I.E the circle that pops up when you kill the Sylvarie, can’t remember his name, I just got back into GW2.), on a wall of a Tower, Keep, castle or inside of the said objective.

It would be nice to have a visible indicator, as in a script of sort within a Siege weapon that when it’s decay timer hits below 5 minutes? The siege in question will blink the team color with a X over a stopwatch or clock symbol. Making it visible from a distance that a siege is about to implode on itself from a decayed state. Very small tweak but little niggles can grow into big pains, From all the commanders and big wigs within WvW saying “Remember to Tick sieges.” It’s obvious that it is becoming a chore.

A tedious thing someone has to do by looking around for sieges within a Tower or Keep, clicking on one, looking at it’s conditional state “Decay Timer.” Seeing how low it is, then if it’s low? Leave it alone but no one will cause it’s so tedious that not only will you probably be the only one ticking the sieges but you will think. “I am already looking at why not tick it?” And it ruins the pace of WvW. Which leads to no one defending cause little tedious nitpicks like this, make defending a chore then fun.

But this is just a suggestion topic to help making Defense at least bearable. Just have it where sieges in defensive locations, I.E inside towers or Keeps, blink when their decay timer hits below 5 minutes with a small symbol of a red x; which can be done since Team dots are floating over enemies and teammates head with their indicated Team Color is in WvW as an optional feature as we speak.

WvW is kind of in a bad state, so little changes like this would make it slightly better in some areas. More people would defend, a lot of sieges would not go to waste so people would worry less about superior sieges being used cause some random Johnny Nobutts could look over to a siege blinking his teamcolor or a red color with a big x over a stopwatch and be like? “What?” and tick. Which would result in less spam of endless messages saying “TICK YOUR SIEGES LAZY BONES” and making defense more of an option.

A thought, to just drive the point home. Give players incentive to tick, Like it takes a team to make a team and you don’t got to be in a zerg to be apart of a team. So when a siege is blinking? Give a player 5 exp points and a little bit of participation for defending! Cause writing this, made me realize how VERY little there is to passively defending, yeah repairing walls and all is nice but there is nothing to give players motivation to be that one kitten individual who scouts for Zergs within a fort or Tower, or those glorious people who tick sieges and uses them.

A team doesn’t always have to be on the offensive position to be a team player!

(edited by Skarlett.2304)

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

its pretty tedious and I do wish there was some other way to deal with it.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

Refreshing siege is definitely super tedious. There are also periods where I’m simply too busy elsewhere to run back up to some northern tower and refresh the siege. It’s also really boring to do and isn’t something new players will ever intuit.

I think a visual indicator would be a nice QoL change.

That said, I would rather go after the root problem and get rid of siege auto-destructing in the first place. I suspect it was implemented to deal with siege trolls but, as it takes a minimum of an hour, it seems far less effective at that than at tying up would-be defenders with tedious tasks.

Instead, give players the option to start a destruction timer that takes 1h. If someone uses the siege, the timer goes away. In that way, a true siege troll would still have to refresh the troll siege but legitimate defenses don’t disappear because they didn’t see action for a while.

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

maybe if all we had to do was to talk to the lord and he would have a dialogue option? then anet would have to grab a pencil and draw a circle around each tower/keep, so that’s a bit of extra work for that…

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Sviel.7493

Found a red post from May 2013 which explains why siege timers exist. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Siege-Despawn-Timer/first#post1955076

Devon Carver says they must have a siege cap for technical reasons and the timer ensures that unused siege gets recycled.

Now, I’ve never personally experienced a siege cap being hit, so I have no idea what it is. I have seen videos of dozens of rams being built in a single lord room, though. It would be helpful to know what the siege cap is in order to better suggest alternative ways to accommodate it. It would also be helpful to know if Cannons and Oil contributed to the siege cap.

-It was the April 30, 2013 patch that made the siege timer visible. At this time, timers were at a maximum of 30m but varied among siege. In the May 28th, 2013 patch, Rams got a 15m timer and everything else was bumped up to 1hr. I think that’s the last time this was changed.

-Before October 15, 2013, static siege sites (cannons/oil) had siege timers as well. This might mean they add to the siege camp (because they had timers) or that they don’t (timers were removed).

(edited by Sviel.7493)

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Siege cap is 5 of them in a 1k units radius. Rams are excluded from it.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Sviel.7493

Thank you—I was about to waste a lot of rams trying to figure that out.

Do you happen to know the map-wide limit?

in WvW

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

I think a good solution would be to make refreshing siege count towards maintaining participation. Not gaining participation, but simply maintaining it. That way I can scout and not worry about my participation rate hitting rock bottom.

:p

in WvW

Posted by: foxof.8752

foxof.8752

just make siege auto refresh when player run by them

in WvW

Posted by: Aury.1367

Aury.1367

I think a good solution would be to make refreshing siege count towards maintaining participation. Not gaining participation, but simply maintaining it. That way I can scout and not worry about my participation rate hitting rock bottom.

:p

then we will end up with one ram at a waypoint and 50 pve people farming gift of battle autoclicking it every 2 mins. Havent thought this through havent you?

in WvW

Offair.2563

Simply ask in mapchat if people can refresh siege at other keeps/towers.

Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Sviel.7493

Simply ask in mapchat if people can refresh siege at other keeps/towers.

That doesn’t work. It’s also attempting to solve a problem that doesn’t need to exist.

in WvW

Offair.2563

Works for me most of the times, just ask gently instead of being a bully.

in WvW

Sviel.7493

Good for you, I guess.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Personally I have always been in favor of a more visual display with gameplay impact – no timer at all, just siege constantly loosing hp over time. 10% every 5 minutes, whatever. This hp can be recovered by using supplies to repair the siege out of combat. No one repairing it would be the same thing as no one refreshing it… except now you need supplies to maintain siege.

The amount of static siege just sitting in structures would drop dramatically and if you dont maintain it… well a 10% hp AC get killed pretty fast.

I dont anyone will cry over it, except maybe Rivercart.

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Personally I have always been in favor of a more visual display with gameplay impact – no timer at all, just siege constantly loosing hp over time. 10% every 5 minutes, whatever. This hp can be recovered by using supplies to repair the siege out of combat. No one repairing it would be the same thing as no one refreshing it… except now you need supplies to maintain siege.

The amount of static siege just sitting in structures would drop dramatically and if you dont maintain it… well a 10% hp AC get killed pretty fast.

Immediate problem with that solution is you will get some spy or bright spark that decides to refresh every piece of siege when supplies are low so you end up with zero just as their zerg turns up by co incidence….

A more elegant solution would be to click on the tower on the map and it lists out the siege (friendly players only?) and remaining timers. Then anyone can see it and deal with it.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Immediate problem with that solution is you will get some spy or bright spark that decides to refresh every piece of siege when supplies are low so you end up with zero just as their zerg turns up by co incidence….

A more elegant solution would be to click on the tower on the map and it lists out the siege (friendly players only?) and remaining timers. Then anyone can see it and deal with it.

Non issue since the same spy could just build 10 rams on the supply depot much faster than running around repairing siege…

Besides, how would having 100% hp on already existing siege be a flaw when the zerg show up? O.o

in WvW

Sviel.7493

Having siege decay over time leaves us in an even worse situation. It still dies if you can’t get back to it soon enough and, now, unless you’re topping it off every 5 minutes, it won’t be at full health when it needs to be used.

Rather than solving the initial problem, it’s just introducing an additional problem.

Or, perhaps you wanted to solve the problem of structures having siege ready made for an assault?

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Having siege decay over time leaves us in an even worse situation. It still dies if you can’t get back to it soon enough and, now, unless you’re topping it off every 5 minutes, it won’t be at full health when it needs to be used.

Rather than solving the initial problem, it’s just introducing an additional problem.

Or, perhaps you wanted to solve the problem of structures having siege ready made for an assault?

Exactly right on the last part. I dont want to see an 1100 supply garrison with 20 superior arrowcarts already up because what is siege, really?. It’s something you build temporarily, something that should be shifting around on the battlefield… So yes, player built siege should be high maintenance IMO.

We already got static and fixed siege – mortars, cannons, oil. And I wouldnt consider it a disaster if hills inner got a fixed arrowcart (ie no decay or timer) on one of it’s towers, or similar things like that (static extreme range treb on garri roof as part of T3 maybe lol).

in WvW

Sviel.7493

Offensive siege is temporary. Defensive siege is supposed to be permanent. You don’t dismantle your defenses because no one’s popped up in a while. There’s a reason castles are preferred to tents.

But that’s not the real point, I think. Why don’t you want to see a garrison with 20 arrowcarts? If the issue is that arrowcarts are too strong, that’s a different fix.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Offensive siege is temporary. Defensive siege is supposed to be permanent. You don’t dismantle your defenses because no one’s popped up in a while. There’s a reason castles are preferred to tents.

But that’s not the real point, I think. Why don’t you want to see a garrison with 20 arrowcarts? If the issue is that arrowcarts are too strong, that’s a different fix.

But defensive siege is permanent. Or are you running around refreshing cannons and mortars? All player built siege is offensive. Whether we use it for defensive purposes just because its OP in certain scenarios – not just million ACs, the humongous supply drain on trebs, catas behind doors etc – is another matter.

in WvW

Sviel.7493

The point remains that siege built for a defensive purpose is intended to be ready at the time of the attack, rather than built after the attack starts. That’s true no matter how you mince the words.

In terms of your earlier exploratory question ‘what is siege,’ it is simply the tools used in a siege. When attacking a structure, it must be temporary or mobile. When defending a structure, it is almost always permanent and fixed. Whether it is permanent or temporary is defined by what the intended use is—or more strictly, whether or not it needs to move. Siege that protects an immobile object does not have to move.

in WvW

Sviel.7493

Based on this post:https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Limiting-Offensive-Siege/first#post3166647

The mapwide siege limit seems to be 100 pieces of siege. That’s ~14 per walled structure. If towers only use ~7, that’s ~22 per keep. It seems like plenty, honestly.

Thus, it shouldn’t be too difficult to devise a way to get rid of timers on everything but rams without exceeding that 100-siege cap.

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

You could always not bother.
Game’s more fun with a full skill bar anyways.