Idea to stop multi account spies in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Mordayn.6198

Mordayn.6198

Link server location to IP in WvW. As it stands with all the $10 sales on the game we are seeing a lot of spies in WvW. This is annoying because you have people from the other server on your side sabotaging siege, doing false call outs, reporting positions etc. With the current design, all it takes is 1 alt account to be able to troll any server you are playing against and there isn’t really any way to report players doing this. Anet should make it so server is IP bound so that any account logging in from an IP has to play on the same server. It would really help WvW as a whole not having to worry about spies from other servers ruining our gameplay.

(edited by Mordayn.6198)

in WvW

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

That is unfair to the players who legitimately enjoy playing in different tiers on different accounts.

What really needs to happen, is an investment in man power to respond to the reporting function and smite actual trolls.

in WvW

Posted by: Mordayn.6198

Mordayn.6198

True, maybe they could lock your IP into a server world each week. Like after reset the first one you log into your IP is locked into that server for that week. I mean, even locking it so you just can’t be on two servers that were fighting each other would fix the problem.

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Link server location to IP in WvW. As it stands with all the $10 sales on the game we are seeing a lot of spies in WvW. This is annoying because you have people from the other server on your side sabotaging siege, doing false call outs, reporting positions etc. With the current design, all it takes is 1 alt account to be able to troll any server you are playing against and there isn’t really any way to report players doing this. Anet should make it so server is IP bound so that any account logging in from an IP has to play on the same server. It would really help WvW as a whole not having to worry about spies from other servers ruining our gameplay.

No.

1. Some people do legitimately play on multiple servers
2. Trolls don’t actually have to be from another server.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

Even if it is implemented, there are ways to work around it and still keep spying. Will just make it a bit harder, but players will still spy.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in WvW

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

First, as gennyt said.

Second what if 2 people in the same house play but have friends on different servers?

Third, it’s still all anet’s fault for ignoring WvW for 3 years. Just live with it now.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

True, maybe they could lock your IP into a server world each week. Like after reset the first one you log into your IP is locked into that server for that week. I mean, even locking it so you just can’t be on two servers that were fighting each other would fix the problem.

No. You’ll be punishing players like myself, or ones I know, certain streamers even, who play with multiple guilds on different servers in the same match even who don’t even play like the people you are trying to restrict.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Not going to work IP is easy to mask and network cards mac adress goes in the sameline, also as some users said players that use the same router will end with the same IP.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

As much as I would like to see a way to solve this problem.. anything related to IP’s doesn’t seem fitting as:

1. Some people do actually have multiple accounts to legitimately play on different servers (some may feel like transferring too if it’s a good experience)
2. I have 2 PC’s at home; when my little sister visits we play GW2 together and I think it’s the same IP? (I’m not the best at PC’s haha) so there are many people in that situation too, even whole families play together in the same house with different PCs using same IP.

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

if you think the other servers are spying on yours, just counter-spy them.

spying is a legit tactic, despite it being immoral.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Mokk.2397

Mokk.2397

The spying isn’t going away any time soon.Plain and simple it’s a fact of war.What does bother me with multi-server guilds is the dueling performed on the map instead of where they should be ,Obsidian sanctum.The worst part is when these guilds use cheap tactics to gank unawares players just trying to get back to their team.Experienced this first hand where they would be dueling and suddenly the opposing servers with the same guild tags would gank me while the one’s in the friend server (with the same tags as the others) would stand their watching.That’s as cheap as it gets.And as far as I’m concerned worse than spying .This is why I don’t WvW much anymore ,Hacking ,Exploits,and Cheap tactics have ruined the game and the fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Forged.6158

Forged.6158

So two people in the same house could never play together by your request. I dont think that would work very well for a lot of people.

in WvW

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

Spies are an important part of war and always have been…

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

in WvW

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I think that if someone is dedicated enough to buy a new account to spy on your server, there’s not much you can do about it. Spying is a part of warfare since the dawn of Man, GW2 is no exception.

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

True, and not that I think the OP’s idea is in the slightest way practical or good, but your comparison with “war” has two flaws.

Firstly, it isn’t war, it isn’t even a war simulation, it is a game, and that something happens in war is pretty irrelevant, I mean if that mattered we would have permadeath and people would have to roll a fresh character each time they died, after all if you die in a war, then that is it, you got one chance.

Secondly, it is also an issue of poor game design, in war as you put it, when you find a spy you can execute them, imprison them, etc, there other better designed games that give you options to handle spies, and certainly handle the equivalents of sabotaging siege, but in this game there is none.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in WvW

Sorel.4870

Secondly, it is also an issue of poor game design, in war as you put it, when you find a spy you can execute them, imprison them, etc, there other better designed games that give you options to handle spies, and certainly handle the equivalents of sabotaging siege, but in this game there is none.

Now I am interested. What are these options? Because frankly, I don’t know how you would punish a spy in a way that couldn’t be abused.

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I think that if someone is dedicated enough to buy a new account to spy on your server, there’s not much you can do about it. Spying is a part of warfare since the dawn of Man, GW2 is no exception.

So is the ability to publicly behead those spies in my war camp, to show the enemy, and the world, what happens to spies, I catch.

Make that a real option, and we will talk. Otherwise, don’t use such an irrational real world comparison to justify trolling in a fantasy MMO.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Sorel.4870

So is the ability to publicly behead those spies in my war camp, to show the enemy, and the world, what happens to spies, I catch.

Make that a real option, and we will talk. Otherwise, don’t use such an irrational real world comparison to justify trolling in a fantasy MMO.

How would you implement that? Nothing prevents you from playing on two different accounts. Nothing prevents you for playing on different servers. Nothing prevents you from reading the chat. Nothing prevents you from using this knowledge to counter your strategy.

Nothing, in the process of spying, is an exploit of any kind. There is absolutely no way to tell if a player is spying. And even there was, nothing can prevent him from spying. So what are you suggesting?

in WvW

coglin.1867

How would you implement that? Nothing prevents you from playing on two different accounts. Nothing prevents you for playing on different servers. Nothing prevents you from reading the chat. Nothing prevents you from using this knowledge to counter your strategy.

Nothing, in the process of spying, is an exploit of any kind. There is absolutely no way to tell if a player is spying. And even there was, nothing can prevent him from spying. So what are you suggesting?

That wasn’t a legitimate request to behead players. (sheesh) It was a point to show this is a game and not real, therefore making real one to one comparisons to actual war, is irrational.

Someone defended trolling and spying by claiming it was a real world part of war since the dawn of war. Well so was the real world beheading of spies and suspected spies.

Is there a reason your so strongly promoting and defending spying?

Oh and yes, there are two specific rules against it. Perhaps you should read the legal documents you agreed to when signing up for the game.

in WvW

Sorel.4870

Oh and yes, there are two specific rules against it. Perhaps you should read the legal documents you agreed to when signing up for the game.

Yep, I’m a spy, beware! Seriously though, I don’t care about my server winning its match-ups, I just want to have fun, so I don’t understand the motivations of spies.

Again, I asked you what suggestion you would offer to the problem. I don’t defend spies. It just happen that spies are impossible to discriminate from other players, so I don’t really see how you would enforce the rules against them. That was the original topic, and so far the options were not convincing.

in WvW

coglin.1867

Yep, I’m a spy, beware! Seriously though, I don’t care about my server winning its match-ups, I just want to have fun, so I don’t understand the motivations of spies.

Again, I asked you what suggestion you would offer to the problem. I don’t defend spies. It just happen that spies are impossible to discriminate from other players, so I don’t really see how you would enforce the rules against them. That was the original topic, and so far the options were not convincing.

Impossible? No, not at all. Spies that utilize TS or an outside source of information transfer are near impossible. Spies sending Whispers to other servers players are not. Because there are in game logs. Precisely how they caught a group of players who was siege trolling on my server. They game logs.

I was sending some whispers. Guildy accidentally whispered me back, instead of his buddy on another server. He was stone cold busted as a spy. A second player was caught because the commander on an opposing servers did not approve of the behavior of a player in our guild whispering that type of information to them

As we have confirmed and dealt with at least 2, I question why you demand it is so “impossible”. Extremely difficult, yes. Impossible, no.

in WvW

Posted by: TinaH.3806

TinaH.3806

Honestly, I do not quite like this idea as I like playing in the T2 style, but I also like to play with friends in T1. I play on both tiers and it’s unlikely they will fight against each other for a long while.

So, am I a spy then? Should I be bound only to a single tier when I wish to enjoy more than one tier?

Though I do have to agree that there should be some way to deal with at least trolls whom harm servers.