Impersonating other servers?

in WvW

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

I’ve noticed at least two WvW guilds that are named “X Invaders”, where X is the name of a different server. I realize this will only fool very distracted players (the real server name still appears over the head of their character – the “fake” name only appears under their portrait, when they are selected), but it seems a bit unethical / unsporting, and might fall under Arena Net’s definition of “inappropriate naming”.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

in WvW

Posted by: allways.9270

allways.9270

Hahaha ..
.. now this is ridiculous. Maybe they are joining forces to push your server down the tier. Or only an attempt for mind trick ..

Charr Engineer
Death is Energy [DIE]
Underworld server; WvW – UW border/defence

in WvW

Posted by: zortek.9607

zortek.9607

There is nothing to discuss here. Report it and move on.

in WvW

Account.9832

There is nothing to discuss here.

Hello, officer. Thanks for telling us what we can or cannot discuss…

Report it and move on.

There’s no place in the “report player” UI to write any comments, or any entry related to guilds.

- Al Zheimer

in WvW

Posted by: allways.9270

allways.9270

There is nothing to discuss here. Report it and move on.

Deception & “trickery” is also part of the art of war .. don´t forget. Even the great Cicero once said “In times of War, laws are silent.” .. there is no “mercy” in competitive gaming. And most of “youngsters” don´t follow the code of honor/conduct .. it´s a game.

Charr Engineer
Death is Energy [DIE]
Underworld server; WvW – UW border/defence

in WvW

Account.9832

Hahaha ..
.. now this is ridiculous. Maybe they are joining forces to push your server down the tier. Or only an attempt for mind trick ..

Well, if that’s the plan, they’re failing spectacularly.

I think they’re actually doing it to mess with the other server in the tier. They’re red to us, obviously (so we’ll never mistake them for local players), but people from the 3rd server might get a bit confused.

- Al Zheimer

in WvW

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

Deception & “trickery” is also part of the art of war .. don´t forget.

Deception and trickery is, in most cases of open war, against the Geneva Conventions.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Cover Girl.2580

Cover Girl.2580

Id say they are just doing it for the laughs. This particular player likes to sit and entertain, so I guess he’s just wanting attention. Just look at it as a sign of envy/respect and overlook it since you only see the names when you click them.

Attachments:

Sanctum of Rall
The Mord Sith [MORD]
(Borderlands Stationed Commander)

(edited by Cover Girl.2580)

in WvW

Posted by: Daevinia.9184

Daevinia.9184

The guild tag may be the same but the name of the guild must be different.

It is possible to tell..

~ nothing is constant but change~

Currently: 3619 kills ~ all for Piken Square

in WvW

Account.9832

The guild tag may be the same but the name of the guild must be different.

It is possible to tell..

Did you actually read what I wrote? The name of the guild is “X Invaders”, where X is the name of a different server, not of a different guild.

In other words, let’s imagine we have a bracket with the following servers:

• Castle of Rock
  • Scissors Keep
  • Papery Tower

A guild from Castle of Rock names itself “Papery Tower Invaders”.

Now, in WvW, if a player from Scissors Keep selects a player who is in that guild, although that player is from the Castle of Rock server, he will see (under the character’s portrait) “Papery Tower Invaders”.

He will also see “Castle of Rock Invaders”, as the correct server name still appears (and is the only one shown over the player’s head, in the 3D scene), but it can still be a bit confusing for some players to see a character that is simultaneously tagged as being an “invader” from two different worlds.

Since Arena Net even censors names that contain the string “gm” in the middle of other words “because it could be used to impersonate a game master” (although there are no actual game masters using a “GM” tag in GW2), I’m surprised that they allow guilds to use names of other servers or the word “Invader”.

As a player from the server being “mimicked”, I don’t have any trouble distinguishing them from our real players (different colour, no character name, etc.). In fact, it’s sort of flattering, albeit in a pathetic kind of way. But players from the 3rd server in the bracket could be fooled.

There are actually two guilds doing this, on different servers / brackets.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

in WvW

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

These aren’t the droids you are looking for. Move along.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in WvW

Posted by: Meadfreek.6789

Meadfreek.6789

If it’s red it’s dead….problem solved.

Who cares what the name of the guild is? I rarely even notice. It could be as simple and benign as the guild was named when they were facing a different server than now. Or it could be a lame attempt at subterfuge. It doesn’t really matter. The color code tells you who is an enemy well before you read their guild tag.

Mead
Tol Acharn [PHNX]
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Account.9832

The color code tells you who is an enemy well before you read their guild tag.

Looks like you need to read the post again. Namely the part that says: “As a player from the server being ‘mimicked’, I don’t have any trouble distinguishing them from our real players (different colour, no character name, etc.).”

Believe it or not, some people actually pay attention to who is attacking what, and coordinate their attacks to take advantage of the fighting between the other two servers.

And it kinda pays off.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

in WvW

Posted by: Psychatog.8246

Psychatog.8246

The color code tells you who is an enemy well before you read their guild tag.

Looks like you need to read the post again. Namely the part that says: “As a player from the server being ‘mimicked’, I don’t have any trouble distinguishing them from our real players (different colour, no character name, etc.).”

Believe it or not, some people actually pay attention to who is attacking what, and coordinate their attacks to take advantage of the fighting between the other two servers.

And it kinda pays off.

slay them all

in WvW

Posted by: muylaetrix.2096

muylaetrix.2096

… reminds me of the first time i got wtfpwnd in Emain by an aparantly helpless Defender … ( daoc had a w3 ‘ranking’ system where someone who had never ever received the equivalent of a single badge got the tag ‘invader’ or ‘defender’ above it’s head, depending whetever he was in a home or enemy zone. somehow that tag/title reset to that status when you exceeded cap rank… untill they increased the cap and added an extra rank, providing much anguish and hilarity. completely next to the point and only relevant on the subject of being misguided/deceived by the tag above someones head etc, but it is sure was WTF ! back then :p

Muylaetrex, going bananas with [TDA] on Gandara
Camping a keep near you since 2001 !

(edited by muylaetrix.2096)

in WvW

Posted by: Nidhogg.2950

Nidhogg.2950

There are some pretty funny names out there. So far none have been sufficiently funny enough to prevent being killed. This doesnt sound like a major distraction.

Had to laugh at Underworlds ‘Mommy, the Charr touched me’ or our own ‘8 inches unbufffed’

Guildleader of Vitas, Gunnars Hold

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

Words like “invaders” are actual words, not names. So using these words in your guildname is not “stealing” or “impersonating” as you are suggesting. It’s like saying every guildname with the word “The” in it is copying other guildnames.

I agree guildnames like these aren’t the most original, but I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

in WvW

Posted by: Fixeon.5076

Fixeon.5076

Red = Dead. Doesn’t matter what server they are. You can sort em out as youre looting your bags.

Fixeon – Guardian
Umberage of Death – Thief
~~~Sanctum of Rall~~~

in WvW

Account.9832

Words like “invaders” are actual words, not names. So using these words in your guildname is not “stealing” or “impersonating” as you are suggesting. It’s like saying every guildname with the word “The” in it is copying other guildnames.

This has nothing to do with “copying other guild names”, nor did anyone suggest that it did. An no one (except you) said anything about “stealing”, either. If you want to contradict an argument, you might want to check that someone other than you actually presented that argument.

The issue here is using a different server’s name (prefixed by “Invaders”), in a context where that duplicates a standard WvW tag.

When a guild from Castle of Rock chooses the name “Papery Tower Invaders” knowing that that’s how the game labels players from the Papery Tower server in WvW, it’s pretty obvious that they’re doing it to try to appear (on first glance) as being from that server.

Just as someone naming themselves “Arena Net G M” would almost certainly be trying to appear as an Arena Net game master.

“Arena” and “Net” are also “just words”, but (for the reason above) they are not allowed in GW2. In a game that seems to rely so much on automated name filtering, it’s a bit surprising to see that guilds can name themselves after other servers, and even duplicate the standard tags displayed in WvW.

- Al Zheimer

in WvW

Account.9832

Red = Dead. Doesn’t matter what server they are.

I see you’re a pro strategist.

- Al Zheimer

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

This has nothing to do with “copying other guild names”, nor did anyone suggest that it did. An no one (except you) said anything about “stealing”, either. If you want to contradict an argument, you might want to check that someone other than you actually presented that argument.

The issue here is using a different server’s name (prefixed by “Invaders”), in a context where that duplicates a standard WvW tag.

When a guild from Castle of Rock chooses the name “Papery Tower Invaders” knowing that that’s how the game labels players from the Papery Tower server in WvW, it’s pretty obvious that they’re doing it to try to appear (on first glance) as being from that server.

Just as someone naming themselves “Arena Net G M” would almost certainly be trying to appear as an Arena Net game master.

“Arena” and “Net” are also “just words”, but (for the reason above) they are not allowed in GW2. In a game that seems to rely so much on automated name filtering, it’s a bit surprising to see that guilds can name themselves after other servers, and even duplicate the standard tags displayed in WvW.

Calm down. I didn’t say anyone did anything and I didn’t say anyone was stealing. The || or “impersonating” as you are suggesting. || was about the impersonating, not the stealing. I misunderstood the OP and I was just only stating what would be obvious if it were in a different context.

What you said about the ArenaNet in names is pretty obvious and straightforward. I mean… you really don’t have to explain that.

About using servernames in guildnames, it would be kinda hard to filter that. Because, if a guild on Desolation is called Desolation Invaders, nobody cares. But if that guild were to move to another server, then what? The guildname was made on Desolation, and I would assume that you don’t have a problem with this. They would have to take so many variables into consideration just to program a guildname filter, which isn’t worth the time in my opinion.

Plus, I don’t see why it would be confusing to anyone if someone on serverX has a serverY guildname. You always see the ServerX Invader first, since it’s their name. If you saw a ServerX Invader, then click on them to see the ServerY Invaders guildname and actually believed they were from ServerY you really aren’t that bright (not talking to you specifically, before you go all apepoop on me).

So from my point of view, guilds can be called whatever they want to be called, as long as it doesn’t violate general regulations.

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

(edited by Centrix.4065)

in WvW

Posted by: Roo Stercogburn.9671

Roo Stercogburn.9671

Enemies are just loot bags that haven’t been collected yet. Real Estate matters, players of any enemy server are just temporary obstacles. Their realm matters not.

Also, custard.

Master Baker on Gunnars Hold serving you hot cookies.
Looney vids at http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCRhCtfrF9GhxU1CoeZSN0kQ/u
Midnight Mayhem

in WvW

Posted by: Cover Girl.2580

Cover Girl.2580

LOL thats me all I have to do is laugh at coverbro and he’ll put my pretty picture on the internets. keep being mad, ill keep laughing.

If you guys see this player feel free to report him as he is apparently trying to troll you.
I posted a pic of him and you have his global name now. I had to block him ingame because he likes to stalk and harass me to the point i’m scared for my safety. He follows me from zone to zone sending anyone near me whispers. What hes trying at with you guys concerns me but I’d be cautious. Rejecting someone ingame makes you a target for him/her.

Sanctum of Rall
The Mord Sith [MORD]
(Borderlands Stationed Commander)