Increase the size of WvW zones?

in WvW

Posted by: kingcragus.6810

kingcragus.6810

Any one else agree that the zones are far to small. I fully understand the need for siege etc but you are Rarely out of the range of arrow carts/cannons. It sucks big time. Either that or decrease siege range that would rock. And your only ever round the corner from a zerg…..boring. Small team fights ftw

and sPvP is not the answer before you suggest it

in WvW

Posted by: John Widdin.9618

John Widdin.9618

Siege is already pretty lackluster. I’m most certainly not afraid of arrow carts with only 2k armor.

A Ballista maybe, but otherwise not too scared. In my opinion, getting nailed by a Treb, or Mortar should take sizable chunks out of you.

I personally don’t find any problem with range, but I mainly play the Borderlands. Are you referring to Eternal?

Zachary ~ Mesmer/ John Widdin ~ Warrior/ Zazmataz ~ Engineer
Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

in WvW

Posted by: Musty.3148

Musty.3148

I would love to see the maps larger. EB is like urban warfare… towers, keeps, etc are WAY too close together. Even the BLs are pretty tight with the longest run to a keep going to be what? 30 seconds? Way too small.

80 Elementalist/80 Mesmer/80 Guardian/80 Thief
Now Musty Britches since someone decided Shortbus Rider was offensive… [LoS] [NSP]

in WvW

kingcragus.6810

Yeh EB, don’t really have an issue with borderlands tbh and I’ve had some good WvW there. I only raise the issue because a typical fight generally follows this pattern…..OMG run away – shoot an arrow cart – zerg inc. Saying that though I never stick around to get shot by the siege and zerg dodging can be fun at times.

in WvW

Posted by: Gismor.8407

Gismor.8407

I would love to see the maps larger. EB is like urban warfare… towers, keeps, etc are WAY too close together. Even the BLs are pretty tight with the longest run to a keep going to be what? 30 seconds? Way too small.

30 seconds seems like forever when your Keep is being attacked by golems and lots of baddies.

[EK] Guild leader → Retired
Friend Gismor – 80 Revenant
“Always outnumbered, never outgunned.”

in WvW

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Traversing large amounts of extra empty space doesn’t really sound like it would increase the quality of gameplay to me.

If you want you can simulate having a larger WvW zone. When you’re running from one tower to another, every 5 seconds just stop and stand still for 5 seconds, repeat. If that’s not thrilling enough for you stand still for however many extra seconds it takes for you to start liking it.

in WvW

Posted by: Musty.3148

Musty.3148

Traversing large amounts of extra empty space doesn’t really sound like it would increase the quality of gameplay to me.

If you want you can simulate having a larger WvW zone. When you’re running from one tower to another, every 5 seconds just stop and stand still for 5 seconds, repeat. If that’s not thrilling enough for you stand still for however many extra seconds it takes for you to start liking it.

It’s not about “traversing” it’s about having more open ground fights instead of PvD/static defend/attack.

But thanks for your great ideas… I can almost hear you giggling while you typed them.

80 Elementalist/80 Mesmer/80 Guardian/80 Thief
Now Musty Britches since someone decided Shortbus Rider was offensive… [LoS] [NSP]

in WvW

Posted by: MartyPartys.9187

MartyPartys.9187

Maps are currently as big as the engine can handle, sadly enough.

in WvW

kingcragus.6810

Urban warfare lol. Best description ever. +1

in WvW

Posted by: Isloris.2709

Isloris.2709

You sir do not deserve an opinion after those comments.
A major problem with the WvW is that you can treb a keep or tower from other keeps or towers, bit of a joke really. The distance between the structures needs increasing. If it is too much of a problem to do this, then give us another zone in WvW with no keeps or towers, just camps and sentry’s. This would improve the game play of the smaller guilds and groups who want to roam in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Antoos.1465

Antoos.1465

Maybe a zone where siege weapons cannot be used? theres nothing worse than constantly being shot by cannons/arrow carts because people are too scared to fight. they constantly resort to sitting on a cannon, you either fight 50+ ikittenerg or watch as people retreat to the safety of their keeps. why level to 80 if your just going to sit there and press 1 over and over?

Playing as a guardian, siege weapons arent that much of a threat. But i go WvW to fight other players, not to dodge cannonballs.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Maybe a zone where siege weapons cannot be used? theres nothing worse than constantly being shot by cannons/arrow carts because people are too scared to fight. they constantly resort to sitting on a cannon, you either fight 50+ ikittenerg or watch as people retreat to the safety of their keeps. why level to 80 if your just going to sit there and press 1 over and over?

Playing as a guardian, siege weapons arent that much of a threat. But i go WvW to fight other players, not to dodge cannonballs.

There’s your problem right there. You go to WvW when instead you should be going to sPvP or tournaments. Try reading the description for WvW before you whine. You’re like the guy who buys a ticket to Siberia so he can vacation on the beach.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Antoos.1465

Antoos.1465

There’s your problem right there. You go to WvW when instead you should be going to sPvP or tournaments. Try reading the description for WvW before you whine. You’re like the guy who buys a ticket to Siberia so he can vacation on the beach.

I understand sPvP is there for well, PvP. But its a completley different area, a different set of armor all together and my skills get limited. i still like capturing camps and checkpoints. I like the threat of a zerg looming as it can be fun to dodge them (less fun with the culling) and running as a guild group is great. I just feel the zones should be either larger or have a zone without a central keep. As far as i know sPvP doesnt help my server ranking in any way. Theres next to no fear of being caught out because you can just run to the closest tower or keep.

Also i hear Siberia’s beaches are lovely this time of year. x

in WvW

kingcragus.6810

and sPvP is not the answer before you suggest it

they need to be bigger because it will stop zergs insta rolling people.

we were taking a camp with a 3 man group t’other day, killed the 2? defenders. They have blatently typed in /m OMG 3 men taking camp WE NEED A ZERG. Then we got jumped on by like 30 +.

(edited by kingcragus.6810)

in WvW

Posted by: Zosk.5609

Zosk.5609

You’re wrong about that. The longer it takes to get back in the fight, the less likely people are to want to take risks.

The least risky behavior is to run with a big of a zerg as possible with lots of rezzers….

(I find this is typical, people just don’t really understand the dynamics think they have solutions for zerging… people aren’t zerging cause there’s nowhere else to go…there’s four zones some are semi-deserted on the middle and lower tiers).

in WvW

Posted by: Siofra Crumble.2098

Siofra Crumble.2098

Reposting from another thread:

In my opinion, map design and size is very well done. We don’t need bigger maps.
However, at some places the map feels to artificial due to flatness, if that makes any sense.

Having open ground isn’t bad (and needed), but it could be improved on many places (like the western supply route towards garrison/bay) by adding some tactical layers to it.
Many of the supply routes are flat, long roads with very few tactical elements to it that you can use (or abuse).
Right now, there are plenty of cliffs, but besides pushing players off them, there isn’t much tactical use for it. It’s hard to put into words and I would draw it if I was worth a kitten with a pencil, but humour me and imagine the supply routes having canyons, tunnels, hills, bridges, etc.

That way, we would have natural choke points for ambushing enemy troop movement or doylaks. Repositioning sentries along these natural choke points would make capping them a bit more vital and interesting.

The same goes for the lake. Now, everyone just hops in for the quaggan camps and gets the hell out of there asap because hardly anyone has the stones to go up against someone underwater.

If you look at PvE maps, the quaggan outposts/cities are more isolated, often hidden in caves and so forth.
It would be nice to have underwater caves where the quaggan camps are and perhaps tunnels connecting them to each other.
The pearls should still be found in the open water among the krait, above the tunnel/cave complex.

Having more tunnels, caves, canyons, bridges, … would result in having more natural chokepoints, which in turn could make ambushes/general combat more exciting, which in turn could result in the map feeling more natural, which in turn could make the players more on edge (instead of annoyed/bored) while travelling, which could result in more fun.

I’m no developer so I have zero clue if this can be done in terms of resources, nor do I claim that this is the best idea ever.
I’ve just been exploring a while in PvE and I’ve seen pretty amazing map design and I wondered why they didn’t translate some of their ideas into WvW maps.

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

I have said before larger maps would help with zergs. The longer it takes to get from one point to the other side of the map the better. It wouldn’t have to be all open land either. Perhaps semi walled towns with strong npcs that would be little more than a point grab but would requier 5-10 people to cap. Would provide an objective for small groups.

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Yes and Arenanet sad we can not make map any bígger.

in WvW

Valik Shin.9027

This makes me sad. If
This is as big of maps as they can make that is poor design

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

If

Technical limitations of their engine, has zero to do with design.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

This makes me sad. If

I am so glad you are not a designer, I would pity the people that work for you or buy your products.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in WvW

Posted by: Thwomp.3912

Thwomp.3912

Just copy daoc’s model.

You can travel between 3 realms, there is an island, boats for quick travel when you do not have ports open to your keep. Make the port in area near Lowlands/Bluevale milegates that connect to the island.

Bam.

BG – Faboose – Ranger
BG – Thwompp – Elly
BG – Thwomp Jr – Warrior

in WvW

Valik Shin.9027

I’ll admit I know a minimal amount about programing and such. But if other games can make a true open world, all be it mostly pve , then why can’t they make a larger pvp map. I know it requires some pretty powerful servers but still.

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Zosk.5609

Just copy daoc’s model.

You can travel between 3 realms, there is an island, boats for quick travel when you do not have ports open to your keep. Make the port in area near Lowlands/Bluevale milegates that connect to the island.

Bam.

Haven’t they, basically? You can quibble over small changes but they have the 3 factions, 3 frontiers plus center (which was just an island in DAOC)…but they’re pretty much following DAOC model here, let’s be real…

in WvW

Zosk.5609

I have said before larger maps would help with zergs. The longer it takes to get from one point to the other side of the map the better. It wouldn’t have to be all open land either. Perhaps semi walled towns with strong npcs that would be little more than a point grab but would requier 5-10 people to cap. Would provide an objective for small groups.

You don’t understand why people zerg, which is why you think bigger maps would lead to less zerging…. more punishment (in this case time running back to a fight) just encourages LESS risk-taking, not more.

in WvW

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

30 seconds seems like forever when your Keep is being attacked by golems and lots of baddies.

Yeah, an 8 golem rush on a reinforced keep gate can take it down in under 30 seconds.

in WvW

Posted by: Thwomp.3912

Thwomp.3912

Just copy daoc’s model.

Bam.

Haven’t they, basically? You can quibble over small changes but they have the 3 factions, 3 frontiers plus center (which was just an island in DAOC)…but they’re pretty much following DAOC model here, let’s be real…

They’re almost there, but the three battleground are disconnected, you can’t travel between the three unless there is 0 queue. And if the start points were to be transformed in to mile gates, rather then portal hubs, it would take a lot longer to get from realm to realm.

Example: I am JQ, therefore when I port in to WvW I’m sent to the JQ Citadel. I see I have a force fighting on BG for garrison. For me to join that battle I would either:

A) Run the island to get there
B) Take a boat that travels to the BG battleground.

Remove the instant port unless you own a keep and it has been upgraded/un-contsted

BG – Faboose – Ranger
BG – Thwompp – Elly
BG – Thwomp Jr – Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: hex.3218

hex.3218

If you make the maps bigger certain northern parts of the BLs would be all but unassailable to the invaders.

Calm Little Buddy
JQQ

in WvW

Posted by: pierwola.9602

pierwola.9602

Having more tunnels, caves, canyons, bridges, … would result in having more natural chokepoints, which in turn could make ambushes/general combat more exciting, which in turn could result in the map feeling more natural, which in turn could make the players more on edge (instead of annoyed/bored) while travelling, which could result in more fun.

+1

in WvW

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I think the maps are pretty much perfect in size at the moment.

The only time I’m ever bored while running across one is when I’m solo… And when you’re solo, trying to get to a group, the last thing you want is more “natural” places to be ambushed along the way.

in WvW

Valik Shin.9027

[quote=1695887;Zosk.5609:]

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Valik Shin.9027

You don’t understand why people zerg, which is why you think bigger maps would lead to less zerging…. more punishment (in this case time running back to a fight) just encourages LESS risk-taking, not more.

The larger maps would not be to stop zerging. I feel that they are a required forced for wvw. What larger maps would do is allow small groups to have a larger impact by not running into a zerg around every corner. As for risk it will make for bigger rewards. If u can wipe the enemy and have 5 mins to do as you please with minimal resistance it can be hard to pass up

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

I remember the devs spoke in an interview and said that they can’t really make the zones bigger due to some technical limitations. But they also said their WvW team is looking at altering the current zones and changing things so small groups could do more.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

in WvW

Posted by: Skewjo.9243

Skewjo.9243

I want to +1 this like 8 million times. Nothing more fun than ambushing with a group of 3 from high ground. Also the size of the map seems perfect to me. I’m upset when I die and I absolutely hate having to run back, but I’m not alt-tabbing to auto-run for 2 minutes like running across the barrens or something lol.

(edited by Skewjo.9243)