Infinite Distortion

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

So today whilst running around in Eotm with the usual zerg of pugs, I came across a group of 5 enemy mesmers. Naturally we engaged them but found them impervious to our attacks because of Distortion. My guess was that they used the traits Blurred Inscriptions and Inspiring Distortion to keep up their defences permanently. Would this be considering an exploit? Or just bad balance?

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Neither. It takes an entire build to get that much distortion, and its not at all easy to keep it up permanently. Its not like they are dealing any significant amount of damage anyway, just ignore the group of trolls.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.5389

Phantom.5389

It is simply a balance issue. Keep moving like Ori said. Their only dps comes from their well that they eventually cast under themselves. Stay clear of that and you are fine.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Ni In.6578

Ni In.6578

It’s more or less a for fun build. You can’t do anything useful with it (except not die).

WvW Rank – keeps going up
Server: Crystal Desert (so toxic!) | “Make CD DVD Again”
Guilds: [VII] – They let me claim stuff

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

It’s more or less a for fun build. You can’t do anything useful with it (except not die).

Reminds me of a certain ghost thief build.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

The Ghost Thief (RIP) was a much better troll and it actually killed people.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

OriOri.8724

Except that ghost thief can actually deal damage, this build cannot.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

it doesn’t hurt anybody yet. However anet should not allow this kind of unwanted skills behaviours. i personally i would opt to limit the allies affected to 3 from the trait Inspiring Distorsion.

That should make impossible to stack enough distortion to have it permanent.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

OriOri.8724

Why would it matter though? Distortion already prevents you from being able to cap a point, so at best this group (and it needs 5 players to have the correct build and also not mess up to keep the distortion up) can troll you and nothing more. They can’t cap anything.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: expandas.7051

expandas.7051

I’m not sure why you guys keep saying there’s five Mesmers when there’s clearly six. Inspiring Distortion affects five OTHER targets, and that’s the only reason why it can be sustained for this long. Easiest way to bring this in line without kittening off the PvE community is to reduce that target limit down to four.

(edited by expandas.7051)

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

5 of anything even mesmers can pretty much force you to leave the area if they all focus you, even with pathetic auto attacks like the mesmer.

I’ll be honest and say I’ve not seen or run into it but if you trully can be invulnerable 100% of the time for 20s or more then it does need changing. Certainly that video shows they can essentially stomp and CC people with absolutely no counter untill they mess up the rotation and just like ghost thief being essentially being permanently while attacking this is just as bad.

You shouldn’t defend mechanics like this, yes it requires a lot of excellent co-ordination and timing to do but that shouldn’t be an excuse to let it fly and be invulnerable for minutes. It’s baffling how anyone can say ghost thief was a problem but this won’t become a problem when more people start using it.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Chaser.2870

Chaser.2870

(edited by Chaser.2870)

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

it doesn’t hurt anybody yet. However anet should not allow this kind of unwanted skills behaviours. i personally i would opt to limit the allies affected to 3 from the trait Inspiring Distorsion.

That should make impossible to stack enough distortion to have it permanent.

And make it useless in PvE because someone can be bothered to walk away from a group of trolls?

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Find a way to kill a raid boss with this, video it and post it on Reddit.

It’ll be nerfed within two weeks

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

I give it a week, can’t have anything showing exploits in PvE, but if it’s pvp or WvW it takes months if ever.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Napo.1230

Napo.1230

So they can’t hurt you, can’t cap anything and it’s a problem because………

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Feanor.2358

I give it a week, can’t have anything showing exploits in PvE, but if it’s pvp or WvW it takes months if ever.

It doesn’t just need to be an exploit, it needs to be useful.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

It doesn’t just need to be an exploit, it needs to be useful.

No it just needs to be an exploit…….

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

the mesmer group does plenty of damage if you are caught in front of them.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Feanor.2358

Just like any other group of 5 will not die if you don’t attack them. As long as they aren’t realistically gaining advantage from using distortion in this specific way, I fail to see a problem.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

So does the grub, but I don’t see many people dying to that.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Miyafuji.1340

Miyafuji.1340

Just because it does not do high damage does not mean its ok. Can it kill people and take no damage? Yes? Then there is a problem.

I am princess Tomiko Miyafuji, daughter of Lady Zenith the unforgiving…. beware…
My old backstory: http://www.archeageroleplay.com/forum_threads/1873740

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Feanor.2358

Any group can kill people and take no damage. For instance, if the people forget to attack. Which is pretty equivalent to them forgetting to walk away from a group of mesmers with almost non-existent dps.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: bobobaggins.3168

bobobaggins.3168

Looks like most people here in this thread haven’t encountered these 5 Distortion Mesmer’s doing their thing. The Distortion Mesmer’s that OP is talking about they are split off from the main zerg working together with them. So for the ones saying just avoid the trolls, well you don’t know what you are talking about and bottom line it’s just another cancer build.

Edit: oh and yes these 5 Distortion Mesmer’s can dish out damage and even killed few peeps.

(edited by bobobaggins.3168)

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Just like any other group of 5 will not die if you don’t attack them. As long as they aren’t realistically gaining advantage from using distortion in this specific way, I fail to see a problem.

“any other group will not die if you dont attack them.” i dont even know where to begin.
uh, perma distortion isnt an advantage? are you from another planet or something? or am i misunderstanding you here, idk.

So does the grub, but I don’t see many people dying to that.

good thing we arent talking about the grub, which would be a false equivalence.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.5389

Phantom.5389

Well, it is a balance issue which need a fix. But it was not such an urgent fix compared to EPI. It still need to be addressed eventually.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: boomersooner.4612

boomersooner.4612

take 4 mes and 1 ele and then you can 5v40 ez

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

OriOri.8724

Ok so how do you want to nerf the distortion share? Place a limit on how much you can build up at once, say 5 seconds at a time (remember that you get 4 sec just from a 3 illusion shatter)? Nerf how many people you can share it too (pointlessly nerfing PvE where its actually used in some fights and needs to be shared with the entire party).

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: duxogns.8047

duxogns.8047

Well organized 5 mesmer party can survive for a long time and, someone said, with other pug group that would be useful.

Meanwhile, well organized and trained 5 nec can kill all enemies with epid if there is a pug group and can protect them. Then they also will be “invulnerable” cause dead corpse cannot do dmg.

There are def. some skills which must be nurfed ASAP, and I think that is not this tactic at least.

[MGR] – Ma Gu Ri, SEA time player, Server Hopper:
[NA] BG → Mag → BG → TC → Mag → SbI → SoS → DR
→ ET → BP → [EU] WR → Vis → [NA] ET → IoJ → Ebay

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: Samug.6512

Samug.6512

Well, it is a balance issue which need a fix. But it was not such an urgent fix compared to EPI. It still need to be addressed eventually.

We’ll need to wait for a raid boss killed with 5 perma distortion mesmers to get this nerfed.

Infinite Distortion

in WvW

Posted by: FirstInfantry.2795

FirstInfantry.2795

does not matter if it does not do anything useful, if you encounter an enemy group do you want to fight them and possibly kill them or just be trolled?