Invent a new trap!

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I want to see rock fall traps at places like the Pangloss, Danelon or Rogues supply camps. Yes I balanced that for one per color/corner.

Players should be able to evade, or it causes huge damage, and after being triggered would deny entry or exit from that side (including yaks), until cleared. This would be strategic and provide for offense, and defense and supply denial. You shouldn’t be able to trap both entries at the same time.

I would also like to be able to raise a drawbridge. This should prevent PvD and force players to build siege, but of course I would have to be inside the tower to raise that drawbridge. That might need a moat around the towers though, so it might have to be limited to certain towers where it would make sense that water is flowing past.

I do not expect these ideas to go anywhere.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

Golem alert trap, pings the map if a golem walks over it.

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Zeno Iagara.8540

Zeno Iagara.8540

I had an idea for a Siege Engineer WvW crafting profession. The SE would be able to build multiple types of barriers, turrets and siege engines. Each item would have a placement cost that would limit the number of items that can be placed on a map, also each item could be used by anyone on any side.

For example a turret placed by one side can be used by anyone who gets hold of the controls. Putting a arrow cart at the end of a valley is fine as long as the enemy don’t get hold of it.

So limited number of items can be placed and the ability for them to be used by anyone would keep them from becoming dominant over the battlefields.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Nimrod.9240

Nimrod.9240

Quicksand
Prevents the placement of heavy siege (catapult, treb) for 10 mins, 900 range.
Rams, ballistas and arrowcarts can still be placed but the skill cooldowns are doubled, for ballistas and arrow carts the range is halfed.
Golems move 50% slower, doubled skill cooldown and halfed range.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Traitor Trap:
1,200 range, effects up to 10 people, duration 60 seconds.
Turns allied players in to enemy players, does not allow effected players to enter enemy towers/keeps, effected players can be attacked by both allied and enemy players making them “serverless” for 60 seconds.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

A trap that transforms everyone into a bull would be hilarious!

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: The Pied Piper.9827

The Pied Piper.9827

I will throw my two cents in.

A trap that when activated will count the number of enemy players that pass through it. The trap could last for a few seconds, long enough to count a fast moving zerg.
The information that the trap receives would show up on the owners chat window in a unique colored text. It would also ping the map where your trap is located.
When a group triggers the trap it would make a faint glow on the ground.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

My only ideas are ramped up versions of class skills. Like a boon ripping trap. Otherwise I think most of my trap ideas would never happen, like a large scale only knockdown trap (only works on 25+ people) or a trap that leaves golems immobilized.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I think it’d be cool in addition to new traps is to have tower/keep upgrade that also dumped out a few traps that players could pick up and deploy around base accordingly. These should cost no supply as it would be an upgrade.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Bridge Preparation

As soon as X (choice at placement of the trap 10-50) persons (player and NPC from all sides) are on a trap prepared bridge the bridge collapses, killing all on it and the bridge needs repair before it can be used again.

Currently very easy in EotM, as several bridges are already destroyable there, would be cool for all bridges WVW as well and for more bridges in EotM as well.

As it can be avoided: do not put that many player together onto the same bridge, killing should not be a problem according https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Invent-a-new-trap/4131251
Maybe a bridge-examination spot, that would reveal bridge prepared (but not the X under which it collapses) or not can use the repair-“F” for un-broken bridges (which aren’t repairable).

Some more bridges in WvW would be nice, but when I though about it, there are already quite a lot of them, you usually just “overlook” them as they aren’t do anything. But this would add strong defense to Mendons and central inner hill- and west-door of main-keep.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

I will throw my two cents in.

A trap that when activated will count the number of enemy players that pass through it. The trap could last for a few seconds, long enough to count a fast moving zerg.
The information that the trap receives would show up on the owners chat window in a unique colored text. It would also ping the map where your trap is located.
When a group triggers the trap it would make a faint glow on the ground.

Sentry Turrets from Overgrowth Observatory do a similar effect. This one is pratically made if they have interest in adding.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Gundail.7594

Gundail.7594

I’m throwing in on some already mentioned ideas.

• Golem trap: Disables Golems for x-seconds and marks them “with special golem icon” on the minimap ala the sentry turrets in EotM.

Golem Rushes are a real crutch in the mid and lower tier match ups. Golems have their place in the siege-meta but, I feel the idea of 20 Omegas surprising a keep and capping it against no defense isn’t exactly ideal gameplay. Slowing their arrival and marking their location would be a game changer in favor of defensive play and limiting “ninja” offense. The only catch is. It really needs to only be triggered by Golems. I have no idea if your code allows the distinction between players and golems.

• Sentry Turrets : Just like EotM.

Intel that doesn’t require running an alt account on the other server. Like it or not ( I think it’s cheap ) many guilds will just run alt account characters to spy on commander movements. This has lead many guilds to stop “tagging up” which has made WvW a much more difficult thing to just “jump in and enjoy” for more casual players when a friendly “Pugmander” isn’t available. Just give the players a non-cheating way to get the intel they crave and maybe people can just get back into playing the game, instead of gaming the system.

Bonus “out there idea”:

• Darkness Trap : Limits affected players view distance and/or mini map with darkness or fog of war effect. Player view is limited by a cloud of darkness that limits the players view to immediate threats. Need’s a substantial duration to allow tactics to unfold.

I know there’s nothing quite like this in the game engine right now but, I’m fascinated by how this might affect a group’s performance. Lose sight of the commander? Good luck finding him. Enemy flanking attack? Suprise! Incoming Poison Cow? Too late to dodge it now.

Gundent
Charr Warguardmeznecrotheifrangergineer
[ETA]-HoD or wherever Mega-server-blob who cares anymore?

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Good discussion here guys. We’ve got our own list of potential future tricks and traps, and while I can’t go into detail on what’s in the works, I can give you guys insight into some of the guidelines we try and follow when creating these.

Specifically there are a few WvW traps abilities that we try to avoid:

• Traps that can instantly kill players. We don’t want you to be able to passively wipe a group by stacking three invisible explosive traps on top of each-other. That said, we are more open to these types of traps as long as there is some counterplay available (like the trap has a visible land mine effect, or gives the group warning to dodge away quickly before it explodes.)
  • Traps that summon additional combatants (guards, creatures, golems, etc.) This is more for server performance concerns (skill lag.) While we have exception to this in WvW already, the idea is to avoid making the problem worse.
  • Traps that are functionally extremely similar to an existing profession skill. Ranger Spike Trap, Thief Needle Trap, etc. Similarly we probably wouldn’t do a trap that just applies a standard condition to an area (Cripple, Poison, Burning, etc.)

Please, please, please no to the first one. It will be highly abused and destroy open-field combat.

Two. I could see this working but the roamers won’t be happy. You could lay one down and easily bait a person back to the trap if you get low. It would really hurt the roamers that we have left.

Three. This is the best one here as long as they all deal about the same damage with varying conditions/boons.

Her post was stating the things they avoid when thinking of new trap ideas, no things they’re thinking of so you don’t have to worry.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

2v1 trap.
Special Conditions: This trap can only be unlocked to players playing in Tier 1.
Function: It forces a server of choice to ally with you
Cost: 500 Tokens, 500 skillpoints, Tear of the enemy*

• Can be obtained through the forums or private chat.
Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Instead of having traps, have you guys consider bringing a mechanic similar to artifacts from AION.

These artifacts go off on a specific section of the maps and allows teams to capture and hold them for 15 minutes before firing them using a token you buy from the NPC.

So once you fire the artifacts you cannot use them for another 30 minutes unless the other team captures them. These artifacts can either give boons, do damage or apply conditions or debuffs like damage reduction etc.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

2v1 trap.
Special Conditions: This trap can only be unlocked to players playing in Tier 1.
Function: It forces a server of choice to ally with you
Cost: 500 Tokens, 500 skillpoints, Tear of the enemy*

• Can be obtained through the forums or private chat.

This really doesn’t need to pop up in every decent WvW thread. Season is over, no one cares.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

I would like to echo what several have suggested, with various specific tweaks or interpretations. I would so love a beacon trap of some kind. Something that would simply send a beacon to the placer, or even the whole map, when the trap was passed over. Even if it didn’t count the number of enemies passing over it, just knowing someone is in a location is helpful. A further refinement would be a golem beacon that indicates if an enemy golem walked over it.

Another suggestion would be a nudity trap. It breaks one piece of armor when you walk over it.

Guild warrior for life!

(edited by shogei.8015)

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Magische Boek.2530

Magische Boek.2530

mindgames: allies apear as foes, aoe from allies hits you aswell

I’m not arguing!
I’m simply explaining why I’m right.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Devesion.5704

Devesion.5704

Haven’t gone over the entire post. But i’ve got some traps that might be an idea.

Sentry trap
Double-click to consume.
Use to gain a sentry trap. This trap deploys a red smoke and show a red dot on the minimap when activated. Costs 10 supply to deploy.

Siege deployment trap
Double-click to consume.
Use to gain a Siege deployment trap. This trap marks the enemies with a siege deployment blocked debuff for 1 minute (range 1200) when activated. Costs 10 supply to deploy.

Impenatrable wall trap
Double-click to consume.
Use to gain a Impenatrable wall trap. This trap deploys a impenetrable wall (range 1200). This wall will be active for 1 minute and none of the teams can enter the wall even with stability. Costs 15 supply to deploy.

Bubble trap
Double-click to consume.
Use to gain a Bubble trap. This trap deploys a bubble (range 1200). This bubble will be active for 1 minute and enemies can’t enter without stabilities. Costs 15 supply to deploy.

Crippling trap
Double-click to consume.
Use to gain a Crippling trap. This trap cripples (-15%?) all enemies for 1 minute (range 1200). The debuff will dissappear when entering combat. Costs 10 supply to deploy.

“Let the shadows embrace you!”

Matthew Witherblade [TaG] GH

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Your impenatrable wall trap would just become a constant spawn camp blocking tool.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Friendly Fire

Range: 1200
Number of players affected: 5
Duration: 10 seconds

Effect:
For the duration of the debuff, affected players’ skills will damage allies as well as enemies. Allies hit by affected players’ skills will count towards the AoE limit with priority given to allies.

Example 1:
A player affected by this trap casts meteor shower. Within the radius of the skill stand three allies and three enemies. The trapped player’s three allies and only two of the enemy will be hit by the meteor shower. The third enemy escapes harm.

Example 2:
In front of a warrior affected by this trap stand two allies and three enemy players. The warrior uses a cleaving skill. His two allies will be hit by the cleave while only one of the three enemy players will be hit.

Example 3:
A trapped ranger fires an arrow at an opponent. An ally of the ranger steps into the arrow’s path before it hits the intended target. The ally takes the hit instead of the enemy.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

The one that would be awesome is the anti-blob trap. Suggested earlier and I’d like to 2nd it.

And it should be really cheap. Have the battlefield flooded with them. End of blobbing?

I’d suggesed something similar in the form of a new Utility Skill but until they can get that done a new trap would suffice.

(edited by Johje Holan.4607)

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Anti-trap trap. For radius x, enemy cant place trap.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Devesion.5704

Devesion.5704

Your impenatrable wall trap would just become a constant spawn camp blocking tool.

There are more ways to get out of a spawn. But it can be really usefull for chokes or slowing down enemies so your reinforcements can come.

“Let the shadows embrace you!”

Matthew Witherblade [TaG] GH

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

The guy you buy this stuff from is called the “Traps and Tricks” vendor, so here is a few ideas for other items besides just traps….

Instant Teleport Device
Cost – 100 Badges of Honor and 3500 Karma
Use – Double Click to deploy an Instant Teleport Device with the chosen Location. Up to 50 Allies can use the teleport device to instantly teleport to the designated location under your control. (Costs 100 Supply to Deploy)

• Chosen Location would be anywhere currently under your control on the current WvW map.
  • This could be used to quickly return to a tower or keep that is under siege, or return to a camp, or anywhere else.
  • Is destroyed automatically when 50 allies use it. Otherwise lasts for 60 minutes.

Personal Teleportation Device
Cost – 15 Badges of Honor and 525 Karma
Use – Double Click to Instantly teleport to any location under your control. Cannot be used in Combat. (costs 2 supply to use)

• A single use, personal version.

Teleportation Disruption Device
Use – Double Click to deploy a Teleportation Disruption Device, which will interrupt the ability to teleport to the area for 5 minutes. (Costs 100 Supply to Deploy)

• Has a Range of 500 which checks for the closest tower/camp/keep/castle in the area. Then teleportation is disabled for that location.
  • Because of the short range, has to be built quite close to the location in order to disable teleportation.
  • An enemy should be notified if the location they chose for the transporter is disabled before they use the appropriate items to prevent waste.
  • Device can be destroyed quite easily, so it must be defended.

Siege Disruption Device
Use – Double Click to deploy a Siege Disruption Device, which will prevent Siege deployment and use of Siege for 5 minutes a the designated location. (Costs 100 supply to Deploy)

• Has a Range of 500 which checks for the closest tower/camp/keep/castle in the area. Then Siege is disabled for that location. If there is no location in range, or, if the location is owned, then it disables siege out to 2500 range.
  • Because of the short range, has to be built quite close to the location in order to disable siege.
  • Device can be destroyed quite easily, so it must be defended.

Those are some of my ideas….

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

One guy had this little idea while we were chatting in our servers TS (sorry, I forgot who it actually was), and I quite like it:

Sentry Trap
If at least 5 enemy players are within the radius of this trap when it is activated (e.g., a zerg), a pair of big orange crossed swords are made visible on the map for 20 seconds regardless of the players being in combat or not.

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Scavenger Trap

Range: 0 (wall effect)
Number of players affected: unlimited while trap persists
Duration on trigger: 10 seconds
Duration of debuff: 3 minutes (non-stacking)

Effect:
When triggered, this trap creates a wall effect similar to Temporal Curtain, Spectral Wall, etc. The trap persists for 10 seconds. During this time, any enemy player passing through the trap has a non-removable debuff applied to them which will persist for 3 minutes.

The debuff causes a single vulture or crow to circle above the affected player. This will be at great altitude, visible from afar; it will not be like the ranger skill “Hunter’s Call” that causes hawks to swarm around the player’s head.

The vulture or crow does not attack nor cause any direct negative affect to the player. It simply circles high in the sky, allowing anyone to see the player approaching from a great distance (if they’re paying attention). A single roamer with this effect could probably go unnoticed if they avoid well-traveled paths; a zerg…not so much.

Blinking, shadow stepping, stealthing, teleporting, or using a waypoint on the same map will not remove the debuff. However, porting to another map or being sent to defeat on the current map will remove it.

Passing through another Scavenger Trap while still under the effect of a previous trap will not stack additional time nor additional vultures/crows on the player.

Entering a building or cave (Dredge Tunnels or Pangloss, for example) does not remove the debuff. The vulture or crow will simply continue to circle in the sky above these locations.

Precedent:
Flocks of vultures or crows would follow large armies as they marched to war in anticipation of feasting on the fallen after the battle. Same concept.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Pitfall, Falls in a deep hole. Target gets stunned for 10 seconds then they can climb up.
Note, Climb slowly just like you would with a broken arm not teleport.
Cost 10 supplies.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Hmm, good point about teleportation traps possibly being used to grief servers through spies, Wanze. One workaround might be not allowing the exit point for teleportation traps to be placed inside friendly structures (so you could place the entry point for the trap leading to the Hills Lord room in the doorway choke point, but the exit point has to be somewhere outside the Keep. You could, however, place the trap’s exit so it was back down on the canyon floor under the bridge, forcing those affected by the trap to run back up again).

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are lots of fun ideas in this thread. However, I would only want to see new traps that change the current meta. Otherwise, much of what is mentioned above can already be achieved tactically.

Stealth traps make it harder for thieves and mesmers to hide in keeps, thus providing a way to protect the keep aside from running around hoping to spot these foes when they forget to maintain stealth. Supply traps disrupt the enemy’s ability to siege (defensively or offensively).

I don’t have suggestions for how traps might work. Instead, I’d like to list some effects I’d like to see, that might be provided by a “trap” of some sort.

• Give an advantage to a server with 4 commanders of 20-player squads over a single commander with 60+ players.
  • Benefit the defense of a keep that is supported by sentries when there are few allies on the map.
  • Reward sentries for staying active and on-post for ages.
  • Disrupt a dominating server from pulling supply from the other borderlands/EB.
  • Make it harder for the same havoc team to disrupt a single objective repeatedly for hours.

In short, I’d like to see new traps that produce an impact that would make battles more interesting in ways that cannot be easily achieved now.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

• Traps that summon additional combatants (guards, creatures, golems, etc.) This is more for server performance concerns (skill lag.) While we have exception to this in WvW already, the idea is to avoid making the problem worse.

You could have a trap that removes adds. A trap of rock dog removal would get rid of about half the additional combatants in WvW.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

You could have a trap that removes adds. A trap of rock dog removal would get rid of about half the additional combatants in WvW.

Rock dogs, parrots, mark I golems…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Pessimist trap – A trap placed at the enemys entrance to the zone that when activated makes them realize there’s no point in going out and fighting because what little rewards exist for doing so take forever to get and will ultimately be given to everyone.

/end joke

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

There should be no traps that have an adverse affect on PvP as they will be horribly abused and ruin open field combat. All traps should be WvW themed, such as:

Golem trap – puts all golem skills on CD for 30 seconds (or more), buying the defending force some time. Golems can still move to allow attackers to retreat.

Dolyak trap – either the Dolyak is permanently rooted until the trap is destroyed OR the Dolyak loses all of its supply. Could be used to pre-emptively disrupt supply flow into a structure, instead of having to send people to destroy dolyaks.

Guard aggression trap – when an enemy activates this trap, they take more damage from enemy guards.

WvW rank trap – when an enemy activates this trap their WvW rank siege machine abilities are disabled for a certain amount of time. No gate vulnerability or increase cata damage etc.

Beacon trap – when an enemy activates this trap, a beacon sets off alerting friendlies to the presence of enemy forces. Beacon is visible on minimap and any enemy caught in the radius of the trap are also displayed on the map as an orange/red dot for 10 or so seconds.

Trap of crazy OPness and infinite trollinity – a trap that must be attached to the gate (of maybe wall) of a tower/keep. It is activated when an enemy is in range and they have 2 seconds to get out of range of they are instantly downed.

Gandara

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Traps consume supply to construct though. Whenever you build a trap (much less loads of traps) you also have to take into account the possible tradeoff of not being able to repair or build siege later.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

@ Tyler:

May I bring you onto looking into the idea of adding first a Trapping Mastery WvW Skill Line first, before you add more new Traps, which is also something which I suggested a long time before, before anyone else has spoken about them getting expanded now.

Trapping Mastery

1) Reduces Supply Cost of Traps by 2 – 5 RP
2) Reduces Supply Cost of Traps by additional 3 – 15 RP
3) You gain Stability, while laying a Trap – 25 RP
4) Gain Stealth, while laying a Trap. – 50 RP
5) Gain Protection while laying a Trap – 75 RP
6) Raises the radius of your Traps by 25% – 105 RP
7) Your Traps deal now 25% more Damage – 135 RP
8) Unlocks access to more Traps for you at the Trap Seller NPC – 170 RP
9) Unlocks access to more Traps for you at the Trap Seller NPC – 205 – RP
10) Unlock access to more Traps for you at the Trap Seller NPC – 250 RP
——-

Trap Suggestions:

Time Rift Trap – Warps up to 20 Players that run into the area of effect of that Trap back to their Spawn Area.
Unlocked with R10 Trapping Mastery – very cost intensive.

Disruptor Trap – Disables for 3 Minutes for up to 20 Players the usage of Utility and Elite-Skills. The Effect gets removed, if the foe dies earlier.
Unlocked with R10 Trapping Mastery

Acid Trap – Created at an area of effect an Acid Rain, that lets all up to 50 players that are affected by that trap suffer on damage over time – a degeneration of health, that can’t be removed by condition removers, which also ignores Boons like Retaliation and Protection and which adds every 5 seconds a random condition
Unlocked with R9 Trapping Mastery

Nature’s Wrath Trap – Lets 1 of 4 random natural catastrophes happen.
1) Sandstorm – A Sandstorm appears that cripples periodically foes and bleeds them.
2) Tidal Wave – A huge circular water wave appears and launches all foes wide away.
3) Hurricane – A huge Hurricane whirls around damaging foes, stunning foes and causes randomly Vulnerability, Weakness or Torment.
4) Volcanic Inferno – A huge pillar of fire from magma appears, causing it to rain magma in a large area of affect, which will knockdown and burn foes, that get hit by the falling down magma rocks

Thick Mist Trap – Creates a large Mist Field, in which trapped Foes can’t see anything anymore as long they are standing in the Mist Field. Attacks from foes have a 50% chance to miss their targets as long the Mist Field ist active. allies are not affected by the Trap and can clearly see everything and don’t get affected by the mist at all.
Unlocked by Rank 8 of Trapping Mastery

Doom Trap – Removes from up to 50 foes in the area of effect of that trap all Boons and disables those foes to receive within the next 2 minutes any new Boons, unless the foe dies earlier.
Unlocked with R8 Trapping Mastery

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: SniffyCube.6107

SniffyCube.6107

@ Tyler:

May I bring you onto looking into the idea of adding first a Trapping Mastery WvW Skill Line first, before you add more new Traps, which is also something which I suggested a long time before, before anyone else has spoken about them getting expanded now.

Trapping Mastery

1) Reduces Supply Cost of Traps by 2 – 5 RP
2) Reduces Supply Cost of Traps by additional 3 – 15 RP
3) You gain Stability, while laying a Trap – 25 RP
4) Gain Stealth, while laying a Trap. – 50 RP
5) Gain Protection while laying a Trap – 75 RP
6) Raises the radius of your Traps by 25% – 105 RP
7) Your Traps deal now 25% more Damage – 135 RP
8) Unlocks access to more Traps for you at the Trap Seller NPC – 170 RP
9) Unlocks access to more Traps for you at the Trap Seller NPC – 205 – RP
10) Unlock access to more Traps for you at the Trap Seller NPC – 250 RP
——-

Trap Suggestions:

Time Rift Trap – Warps up to 20 Players that run into the area of effect of that Trap back to their Spawn Area.
Unlocked with R10 Trapping Mastery – very cost intensive.

Disruptor Trap – Disables for 3 Minutes for up to 20 Players the usage of Utility and Elite-Skills. The Effect gets removed, if the foe dies earlier.
Unlocked with R10 Trapping Mastery

Acid Trap – Created at an area of effect an Acid Rain, that lets all up to 50 players that are affected by that trap suffer on damage over time – a degeneration of health, that can’t be removed by condition removers, which also ignores Boons like Retaliation and Protection and which adds every 5 seconds a random condition

Nature’s Wrath Trap – Lets 1 of 4 random natural catastrophes happen.
1) Sandstorm – A Sandstorm appears that cripples periodically foes and bleeds them.
2) Tidal Wave – A huge circular water wave appears and launches all foes wide away.
3) Hurricane – A huge Hurricane whirls around damaging foes, stunning foes and causes randomly Vulnerability, Weakness or Torment.
4) Volcanic Inferno – A huge pillar of fire from magma appears, causing it to rain magma in a large area of affect, which will knockdown and burn foes, that get hit by the falling down magma rocks

Thick Mist Trap – Creates a large Mist Field, in which trapped Foes can’t see anything anymore as long they are standing in the Mist Field. Attacks from foes have a 50% chance to miss their targets as long the Mist Field ist active. allies are not affected by the Trap and can clearly see everything and don’t get affected by the mist at all.
Unlocked by Rank 8 of Trapping Mastery

Doom Trap – Removes from up to 50 foes in the area of effect of that trap all Boons and disables those foes to receive within the next 2 minutes any new Boons, unless the foe dies earlier.
Unlocked with R8 Trapping Mastery

those don’t seem overpowered at all

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Dont start a silly balance discussion here now, thats offtopic

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

Klutz Trap:

Player cannot jump or dodge for 5-10 seconds.

The Black Hole:

It spawns a black hole where you fall into it, and are dropped from above where you were. Causes 50% falling damage.

Or it drops you from above the hole, into the hole, and so on, no damage, for 5 seconds.

Solar Flare:

Makes your character Flash a bright light into the sky, so all enemies can see your location for 3 seconds. Works on up to 10 players at a time.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

Here’s my contribution… The Finisher Trap.

For 2 mins after trap deployment (within the large radius of the trap), anyone who completes a finisher will find themselves finished (i.e. hard down) and the subject of their own finisher animation. The original target remains down (soft).

Trap expires automatically after 2mins. No limit to the number of times triggered basically denying finishers from being used for the fight in the area.

That is a terrible idea………

I’m guessing you must play a Thief in WvW. I’ve always hated stealth finishing.

I don’t have a thief, but that’s STILL an atrocious idea

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

Rebuild trap:

Goes off 20 seconds after it is triggered, putting any wall, gate, or other attackable fixed feature back to full ‘health’.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Nymph of Meliai.6739

Nymph of Meliai.6739

Pitfall, Falls in a deep hole. Target gets stunned for 10 seconds then they can climb up.
Note, Climb slowly just like you would with a broken arm not teleport.
Cost 10 supplies.

Something similar would be my idea too… a pit trap… ground opens up and enemy falls into a hole that can be exited through jumping first on to a ledge at the edge of the pit and then jump again out of the pit. Thus the larger the zerg/blob the more time spent in the pit as you move to the edge to jump out.

The purpose is to slow the enemy down. I would not include any additional damage… you just fall in a hole and have to jump out… but additional damage can be added through carefully positioned siege… however the siege would also act as a clue that there is a trap there to be avoided.

I also like the idea of an alarm trap. This I would have as an alert on borderland but if your side is outnumbered on the map then the alarm triggers an alert to all friendly players on all maps. This would help with the balance of numbers in the game and allow map jump teams to respond quicker to attacks by servers with better coverage.

Nymeria Meliae | SoS
Acid Bath Babies Go Plop Plop [FizZ]

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Ethros.1453

Ethros.1453

A trap that sets the Heal skill on a 10 second CD and set the AoE radius at a distance of 600 (half the range that the two current traps are at).

~Mr. Illuminati
Inspiration is only as good as it’s interpreter

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: CloudedChimera.9670

CloudedChimera.9670

I don’t think you could call it a trap, but I think it would be fun to have something that you place like a trap that places a 30min shadow refuge (without the area indicator) that works on 20+ players. Have it only grant stealth to those in the radius, once you leave the stealth ends. Also, allow enemy players to destroy it with a single aoe and when destroyed it should do significant damage to the hidden players as a counter play. It should also require more than 20 supply so a single player can’t deploy it on his own, that would detract a bit from the thief class and that wouldn’t be fun for them.

Think of the ambush tactics that would evolve with such an addition! -drools-

(edited by CloudedChimera.9670)

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Vulnerability Trap
Affected players and siege they operate take increased damage from seige fire.
Radius 1200. Duration 60 seconds. No stacking.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Bazzoong.7145

Bazzoong.7145

Bonn conversion trap

Range 1500, unlimited number of targets, once triggerd the trap applies the “corrupt magic” effect for 20sec while under the effect of corrupt magic any boon applied will be converted to the respective condition.

Death magic trap

Range 1500, unlimited number of targets, once triggered the trap applies the “death magic” effect for 20 sec, while under the effect of death magic there is a 50% chance that any healing received is converted to damage received.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

• Unstable Ground – Strips stability. Causes a 10s debuff where stability cannot be applied for 10 seconds. Best used on choke points and zergs vs blobs. Max targets 80. 1200 range. Trap only triggers once 10 or more enemies are in the traps radius. This would allow static fields and CC to do their job while aoe nukes the inc blob down. It would also promote mesmer portal infiltration to avoid the invading force getting caught and their kitten wrecked.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

A teleporter trap that teleports you to a new map.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: defrule.7236

defrule.7236

Natures Renewal – Trap
For 15 seconds, enemy boons have no effect. Radius 1200m

Frozen Soil – Trap
For 10 seconds, enemies in the area cannot be rallied. Radius 1200m

Spiteful Spirit – Trap
For 5 seconds, when enemies in the area gain a boon, that boon is convert immediate to a condition.

Ward Against Melee – Trap
When triggered, enemies in a radius of 1200m have 50% chance of missing on melee attacks.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

Good discussion here guys. We’ve got our own list of potential future tricks and traps, and while I can’t go into detail on what’s in the works, I can give you guys insight into some of the guidelines we try and follow when creating these.

Specifically there are a few WvW traps abilities that we try to avoid:

• Traps that can instantly kill players. We don’t want you to be able to passively wipe a group by stacking three invisible explosive traps on top of each-other. That said, we are more open to these types of traps as long as there is some counterplay available (like the trap has a visible land mine effect, or gives the group warning to dodge away quickly before it explodes.)
  • Traps that are functionally extremely similar to an existing profession skill. Ranger Spike Trap, Thief Needle Trap, etc. Similarly we probably wouldn’t do a trap that just applies a standard condition to an area (Cripple, Poison, Burning, etc.)

Seriously? NO fire trap?! I was thinking of a trap like that one part in Chronicles of Narnia with the phoenix http://youtu.be/mYJhl5x0lew?t=9m29s you would refuse us an epic line of fire that cuts through the battlefield? Man you guys are no fun :P