''Invisible tag'' inclusion (roaming)

in WvW

Posted by: Strages.2950

Strages.2950

Some groups enjoy running closed roaming groups with 8 or so people and situations arise where you need to know where the leader or person calling out the shots is at.

The current solutions are tagging up, or targeting the leader. These two solutions have their own problems: tagging up makes the person visible to the whole map, usually adding pugs to the group, or in worst cases alerting tag spies.

By targeting the leader, you lose the ability to target something else without losing the highlight on your leader. This sucks when you need to move away quickly and follow directions.

Possible solutions:
can we have an option to toggle the visibility of your tag to people outside these squad?

OR

Can we enable squad markers to be used in a tag less squad?

What do you guys think, anyone else think this could be helpful?

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

A) 8 people is not a roaming group, thats a guild raid lol.

B) Most servers should have an agreed upon closed raid tag color. If people dont respect it, do a friendly reminder in chat while running.

C) Running tagless with anything above 5 people is an insult to everyone on the server, no matter what kind of raid it is. Even if you run a stay-the-kitten-away closed raid, pugs/roamers/scouts/zergs will see where you are and can focus effort elsewhere. Nothing worse than running toward a camp and then oh theres a 10 man guild raid no one knew was even on the border that capped it when you where 2m from the circle. Spies is always a risk, not an excuse.

in WvW

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

I’d love to be able to have an invisible tag and still be able to put markers. The markers are extremely useful. Dropping squad and rejoining just so a guild can run around tagless without noobs running around is a pain. The markers are way too useful, so I just said, screw it and keep the tag on now. Squad is closed, I announce in map chat that its closed guild only raid, noobs still follow and get in the way and im bombarded with annoying pms insisting i let them join the squad. Alot of people just can’t take a hint.

If they wont let us have an invisible tag, let us have a guild debuff around us that gives -10k hp and -100% movement speed to anyone that insists on following us around and isnt in the squad. then maybe people will take the hint and buzz off. Downing a key enemy target only to have them rally off the death of a noob with a bad build that insists on following is frustrating. Alteast they only rally 1 guy now, but still it’s a pain.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

If they wont let us have an invisible tag, let us have a guild debuff around us that gives -10k hp and -100% movement speed to anyone that insists on following us around and isnt in the squad. then maybe people will take the hint and buzz off. Downing a key enemy target only to have them rally off the death of a noob with a bad build that insists on following is frustrating. Alteast they only rally 1 guy now, but still it’s a pain.

This is a fantastic suggestion!

You dont mind saying which server you are on and when your guild run skirmishes against other other guilds do you? I mean of course I’m not gonna tag up in the middle of the skirmish hahahaha… No, I just want to watch. Pinkie promise.

Note to self, get some guard/war bunker build to have enough HP and invoulns so it can remain locked down for no particular reason anyone that reads this need to know about.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I’d love to be able to have an invisible tag and still be able to put markers. The markers are extremely useful. Dropping squad and rejoining just so a guild can run around tagless without noobs running around is a pain. The markers are way too useful, so I just said, screw it and keep the tag on now. Squad is closed, I announce in map chat that its closed guild only raid, noobs still follow and get in the way and im bombarded with annoying pms insisting i let them join the squad. Alot of people just can’t take a hint.

I’ll hug your guild group with mine to give you the debuffs back. I do respect “closed” raids but afterall its an open world map so no need to come with this kind of bullcrap.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I agree that guilds deserve to play as they like and without interference.

However, you’re one of those folks who thinks people who follow are dead weights when a big part of the reason they’re dead weight is because you don’t communicate with them.

If someone wants to join in, of course you’re entitled to turn them down. But just keep it in mind that allowing them in your squad and in your teamspeak will very likely turn them from “noob” to asset.

It’s like the commanders who will only let Guardians, Necromancers, Elementalists and Revenants join squad but will deny everyone else, then yell that they’re scrubs for dying. Gee, I wonder why? Maybe because they’re not getting heal and boon support or verbal commands be it in TS or chat.

Just go the extra mile to help them out a little and you might be surprised how much of a positive impact a random zergling can make. They can’t know what’s up or survive if they’re being completely excluded from plans and support. Why are they to blame for being a problem, then?

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Rambitshouse.8712

Rambitshouse.8712

Roaming is 8 people now?

Dtox

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Roaming is 8 people now?

Yeah people think this is what roaming is about..Run in a group of 8 and chase 2 guys allover the map.Then run or insta die when they see something their own size.

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

You can make a 10man squad without a tag… Works exactly like party except it’s a squad.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

However, you’re one of those folks who thinks people who follow are dead weights when a big part of the reason they’re dead weight is because you don’t communicate with them.

If someone wants to join in, of course you’re entitled to turn them down. But just keep it in mind that allowing them in your squad and in your teamspeak will very likely turn them from “noob” to asset.

It’s like the commanders who will only let Guardians, Necromancers, Elementalists and Revenants join squad but will deny everyone else, then yell that they’re scrubs for dying. Gee, I wonder why? Maybe because they’re not getting heal and boon support or verbal commands be it in TS or chat.

Just go the extra mile to help them out a little and you might be surprised how much of a positive impact a random zergling can make. They can’t know what’s up or survive if they’re being completely excluded from plans and support. Why are they to blame for being a problem, then?

And what about the ones who follow while they refuse by their own will to join squad and/or TS? You people need to remember that there are 2 sides in this coin and it’s not just the guilds that are kittenbags…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

Roaming is 8 people now?

12 actually, 8 is solo roaming

in WvW

Nikkinella.8254

I should be able to just run with who I want to and not be harassed by other people. Especially if there are other tags on the map with open squads that they can follow. And we’ve tried asking these people to get in coms with us, they refuse but insist on following anyway for whatever reason. I shouldnt be forced to play with people I don’t want to play with. That’s why I just wish there was a tag that only guild members or people you invite to your squad can see. And there are plenty of people who are just plain bad regardless of how much instruction theyre given. The people I run with are hand picked because i know they know what to do without me holding their hand every step of the way.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

I should be able to just run with who I want to and not be harassed by other people.

So you are trying to imply that the visible tag is the only reason you get “harassed” by people? O.o

Since you are saying roaming with 8 people (which no guild commander in their sane mind would describe their raid as) I assume that the roaming you are doing isnt only open field fights against enemy closed guild raids equal sizes. Are you taking camps/towers/keeps of opprtunity? If yes, then expect to get “harassed” by players seeing your tag on inner hills or whatever. Because thats the kittening game.

If you really, truly want to hide your activities from your own server, well then run tagless as you please. It aint hard. There is nothing stopping you. An 8 man “roaming” group all on TS doesnt need a dorito any more than closed guild raids did before colors and squads was introduced.

in WvW

Nikkinella.8254

I should be able to just run with who I want to and not be harassed by other people.

So you are trying to imply that the visible tag is the only reason you get “harassed” by people? O.o

Since you are saying roaming with 8 people (which no guild commander in their sane mind would describe their raid as) I assume that the roaming you are doing isnt only open field fights against enemy closed guild raids equal sizes. Are you taking camps/towers/keeps of opprtunity? If yes, then expect to get “harassed” by players seeing your tag on inner hills or whatever. Because thats the kittening game.

If you really, truly want to hide your activities from your own server, well then run tagless as you please. It aint hard. There is nothing stopping you. An 8 man “roaming” group all on TS doesnt need a dorito any more than closed guild raids did before colors and squads was introduced.

We don’t cap anything. We go around and engage larger groups than ours and wipe them. And we don’t need useless zerglings following us when we do that, constantly asking why we arent taking structures we run past when there are plenty of other commanders that do that. And you missed the point entirely. Dropping squad then rejoining to hide the tag prevents you from using all the commander marks and such. I paid for my tag and should be able to use it as i see fit without being forced to play with people I don’t want to play with. Since people cant respect it when I ask them nicely not to follow and interfere in our gameplay to the point it seems like harassment, especially if there are other tags on the map that would gladly welcome them, I don’t think its too much to ask to be able to have my tag only visible to those in my squad. Yes we don’t need it, any more than any other commander would need it. But its a nice thing to have for convenience. Its a simple quality of life issue for guilds.

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Roaming is 8 people now?

12 actually, 8 is solo roaming

5 is scouting, 1 is ambient creature? ;-)

Some nights I feel like an ambient when super glass thieves gank me and then retreat to the safety of their 8 man small scale roaming groups.

in WvW

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Roaming is 8 people now?

If you are on BG or Mag 10-20 is Roaming, 4-8 is Scouting……

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

Roaming is 8 people now?

Oh man, I’ve been doing it wrong all of these years?!
https://youtu.be/xKUwcCp7LPE?t=27s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ekwuhHqXI

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in WvW

Posted by: Strages.2950

Strages.2950

I don’t see how a group of 8 people can’t ’’roam’’. Spread out to capture camps, kill yaks, capture ruins, tap structures, do guild missions in general… A group of 8 doesn’t have to ball up necessarily.

That said, if you’re getting stuck on nomenclature you’re completely missing the point of the thread.

We’re talking about a feature that would allow groups to highlight a member whilst not using the targeting feature that is usually necessary for targeting players outside the group.

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

We don’t cap anything. We go around and engage larger groups than ours and wipe them. And we don’t need useless zerglings following us when we do that, constantly asking why we arent taking structures we run past when there are plenty of other commanders that do that. And you missed the point entirely. Dropping squad then rejoining to hide the tag prevents you from using all the commander marks and such. I paid for my tag and should be able to use it as i see fit without being forced to play with people I don’t want to play with. Since people cant respect it when I ask them nicely not to follow and interfere in our gameplay to the point it seems like harassment, especially if there are other tags on the map that would gladly welcome them, I don’t think its too much to ask to be able to have my tag only visible to those in my squad. Yes we don’t need it, any more than any other commander would need it. But its a nice thing to have for convenience. Its a simple quality of life issue for guilds.

People have been asking for this feature for literally years and it could have helped slow the bleeding of PvP focused players from the mode. But the entire game is designed to be an uber casual “everybody gets a trophy” level of inclusive (even the combat is now on autopilot) so this won’t happen, I think everybody who gets sucked into any of GW2’s PvP aspects hits this wall sooner or later. Anet has basically said that they’re afraid that given the option of having private tags, public raids will disappear and the pugs will feel left out and the map will look dead. Clearly, the people who like leading blobs and doing community stuff will cease to exist simply because hidden tags are an option. They threw hardcore players under the bus instead of working on the mode to keep people caring about “doing community stuff”. Anet logic. Enjoy the wasteland lol.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

if you like zerging with 8 people then you should get used to the tag

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

A Squad Only tag should be a no-brainer.

CCCP….

in WvW

Caedmon.6798

I don’t see how a group of 8 people can’t ’’roam’’. Spread out to capture camps, kill yaks, capture ruins, tap structures, do guild missions in general… A group of 8 doesn’t have to ball up necessarily.

That said, if you’re getting stuck on nomenclature you’re completely missing the point of the thread.

We’re talking about a feature that would allow groups to highlight a member whilst not using the targeting feature that is usually necessary for targeting players outside the group.

Sad thing is that they do,roaming nowadays turned to 5 – 10 people running in a ball on broken builds and still having to rely on the downed state mechanic to win a fight vs Real roamers.I’d be a happy boy if anet started touching downed state in wvw or completely removing it even.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Yeah people think this is what roaming is about..Run in a group of 8 and chase 2 guys allover the map.Then run or insta die when they see something their own size.

More commonly the eight chase two same guild thieves on comms, get spread out and fall into a turn and burn trap. Suddenly the fight goes from 8v2 to a few 2v2 fights with two thieves skipping off with eight more notches in their belts moments later.

Happens pretty much every night and almost invariably a tell about how “OP” a build is despite the superior numbers.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

I don’t see a problem with it. It would only be a game changer for those playing outside of intended parameters that make a practice of spying on the enemy with a friendly alt account. In fact if development really cared about wvw they would do this.

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Am I the only one that thinks a group in a squad that loses track of it’s shot caller certainly is trying way too hard to be something they are not?

I mean why would your shot caller need to be found if they are not in the fight and if they are and you are not then why do you need to know where they are?

You’re obviously not paying any attention to the people in the squad and haven’t the mentality of living and dying for the team so why worry about it?

Have guild raids really got to the point where they’re 8 people prowling around like a kitten pretending to be a tiger?

in WvW

Caedmon.6798

More commonly the eight chase two same guild thieves on comms, get spread out and fall into a turn and burn trap. Suddenly the fight goes from 8v2 to a few 2v2 fights with two thieves skipping off with eight more notches in their belts moments later.

Happens pretty much every night and almost invariably a tell about how “OP” a build is despite the superior numbers.

Those thieves run around because of that,easy to bail mechanic.I dont blame em,its tiresome when you run a class that cant bail as easily when all you meet are the above mentioned.

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Am I the only one that thinks a group in a squad that loses track of it’s shot caller certainly is trying way too hard to be something they are not?

I mean why would your shot caller need to be found if they are not in the fight and if they are and you are not then why do you need to know where they are?

You’re obviously not paying any attention to the people in the squad and haven’t the mentality of living and dying for the team so why worry about it?

Have guild raids really got to the point where they’re 8 people prowling around like a kitten pretending to be a tiger?

This was my thought exactly, along with the fact they must surely be in ts, so it really can’t be that hard. Just form a group or two if necessary and follow the targets. How hard is it to follow ‘target the ele, south left’ or is that too complex for your 8 man gank party?

Have your shot caller wear something that stands out and have him use a certain skill as the opening if you are really struggling that much to follow a target call.

This is group pvp basics 101. You say you have specific people that do specific things and can rely on them and ‘noobs’ as your elitism calls them get in the way, yet you struggle to master basic targetting? Most groups I ran with in other games had a well drilled list of target priorities and a clear caller- all without the benefit of a tag.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.