Is WvW Really Dead? [Merged]

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

WvW always slows down during holiday events and new PvE content.

Give it time and things will bounce back, no matter what the naysayers say.

While it is true that holiday events, and new PvE content effect WvW populations to an extent, I have never seen it this bad before.

T1 NA no map queues outside of reset, and the occasional EBG map queue. As it stands T1 pops are about the same as T5 CD was at launch during NA, which isn’t terrible, but if this downward trend continues it will tremendously impact WvW.

It wouldn’t be hard for ANet to make a map with a central keep, towers and camps around it at varying distance, spawn points at equidistant points, and open areas for clashes.

Want to make a huge difference on WvW populations? Make it so that if a server doesn’t control their own central keep then their server population; PvE, PvP, and WvW do not have access to Lion’s Arch until they retake it. The portal to LA would instead send the players of that server to their respective racial cities.

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Bring back the old bl’s and keep the new map as a “playground” ( what eotm should have been ) for wvw,make it so ppt doesnt matter in there but ppk does affect the ultimate outcome of ppt.

in WvW

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

5 of us PvD’d fire keep for 20+ minutes during NA prime. No one came to stop us, and all the other BLs were just as empty. It was a genuinely soul-sucking experience.

It’s nauseating to say this, but I now go to EotM if I want fights. The shiny newness of elite specs may keep me around for another week or two, but I don’t anticipate sticking around GW2 if something isn’t done soon.

in WvW

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Define dead.

If you mean does anyone play the game mode anymore, then, NO it is not dead. Just last night I seen a map queue in EBG rolling tower after tower with the occasional roamer getting splattered like a bug on a windshield.

If however you mean dead as in the BL’s then YES it is. We have told ANet time and time again we don’t want more PvE with our WvW. Instead they feel that all we really needed to become happy was dinosaurs.

I cannot offer any suggestions save maybe having ANet get some suggestions in the form of a cdi from actual WvW players. but I cannot see that happening anytime soon; sadly.

in WvW

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Give it time and things will bounce back, no matter what the naysayers say.

While it is true that holiday events, and new PvE content effect WvW populations to an extent, I have never seen it this bad before.

You’ve never seen a full expansion to the game before either.

Give it time.

in WvW

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

Define dead.

If you mean does anyone play the game mode anymore, then, NO it is not dead. Just last night I seen a map queue in EBG rolling tower after tower with the occasional roamer getting splattered like a bug on a windshield.

If however you mean dead as in the BL’s then YES it is. We have told ANet time and time again we don’t want more PvE with our WvW. Instead they feel that all we really needed to become happy was dinosaurs.

I cannot offer any suggestions save maybe having ANet get some suggestions in the form of a cdi from actual WvW players. but I cannot see that happening anytime soon; sadly.

But dinosaurs make everything worthwhile!

Okay, not really.

Where are my old borderlands… where is my home? They can add dinosaurs to those if they really have to, but don’t take away the home I’ve fought off so many invaders to protect!

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Bart Weird.9671

Bart Weird.9671

Well, maybe it’s just me but I only q for eb because I feel it’s way too hard to find and pick fights on the new map :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sudhKI2v_sM
[Grawl Shaman Duo Scale 80]

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Hm and when the alpine maps are back and the new substitute EotM ? :-)

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

There’s some stuff wrong with wvw at the moment. I roamed the new borderlands today and found a lot that didn’t make sense at all. Still testing though.

That aside – I also found that the new maps/mechanics aren’t what bugs me. What does is the current gameplay: The constant tinkering with the camera leaves my wrist sore, me unable to play like I used to (I’m a D/D thief, so I need to twist and turn a lot more than usual players), bugs, lags, imbalance – there seems to be no consistency at all. And god knows when real balance will happen – that includes class balance and zerg balance (like the minus condi duration food nerf meaning a buff to the plus condi duration food buff and stability, boon stealing and all this stuff).
If the game is balanced around pvp then why are things which have been taken out of pvp still in wvw?
It’s really a lot of minor annoyances that as a sum bug me big time.

in WvW

Posted by: Angelyne.2936

Angelyne.2936

Emergency teleport will remplace WP on keeps, but you need to upgrade your guild
Camps and dolyak are far more important now, because supply will be far more difficult to take, has depot will explode when you take a keep/camp but you have to upgrade your guild.
Supply will be even more important when you’ll not be hable to break doors with hands … but you have to upgrade your guild.
Each dolyak who reach a structure accelerate its up, so that’s not a big différence with the old system, dolyaks are still important, and you can renforce it, but you have to upgrade your guild.

WvW guild mission is a good idea
Sentinels are a good idéa
Guards have now a true fonction
Maps are designed to split zeergs, because you can’t be everywhere
Scout have a more active fonction such as keeping sentinels alive or recap it when possible, they are important.

The only problem is that laser, but so many ppl complain about it that they will shut it down as they do with orbs sooner or later.

Antoher clue might be to give a reward to guilds who claim, up and keep a fort or tower, as they do when you stay on PvE map, longer you keep, more you get.

Roaming have still importance, Shrines, camps are important, even a small guild can upgrade enough to reinforce that kind of structures, while biggers will concentrate on tower then keep.

Angelyne – Guild Leader for Metatrone – Vizunah Square [Fr] on EU Ladder

(edited by Angelyne.2936)

in WvW

Posted by: Sich.7103

Sich.7103

yeah you need to upgrade your guild for all those stuff… But how many guild will be able to do that ? Lot of scout who claim stuff have personnal guild and won’t be able to do that… Fighting guild only playing at prime time don’t even care to claim stuff.
And emergency WP have a timer once used. We don’t want that, we want a real WP to be able to move on the map at off peak time.
The few people who care to defend the map are the scout, except to build 5 ghost guild with the same people in the 5 guild to be able to claim something I don’t know how to do.
To build you guild hall you need to grind some stupid PVE stuff. This cost tons of gold… Yeah they remove the cost for the upgrade but they add tons of gold to spend just to be able to claim something in the game !!

Sentinel are interesting, but before you had roamer or scout who speak in /map, who follow the ennemy zerg… Now just take the sentry, they make the job… Before you need team job to upgrade stuff… Now, no one care…

Sentry / auto upgrade / free upgrade are the wrong answers…. We need people to play the game not add AI to do it because there is no one in the game.
Closing server that only have 5 man queue on EB during prime time is non sense…

We need less server with more people on each server. No map with auto run.

And those guild hall…. no comment…. The people who really act in game at off peak time are not able to build those thing…

in WvW

Posted by: tobee.1567

tobee.1567

I’d like some explanations of what people want.

Let’s say the desert borderlands won’t go away (they really won’t since it’s a completely new map) so what changes would you like to it?

List please.

if now wanna have some change

1. Tower upgarde timer

T0 > T1 30mins change to 45mins ( Keep 60mins
T1 > T2 90mins change to 120mins ( Keep 150mins
T2 > T3 240mins change to 360mins ( Keep 480mins

( to make upgarde more longer let lower poplution server can play new bl ps. not is all T3 tower )

2. Set up new bl every colour max people from 80 change to 200-300
( yup i know maybe Anet server cant to let every server join alot ppl in wvw, but this
map need alot people to play can be make this map look good and fun )

3. Set up only on new bl , if this colour player on this map lower than 5 people , can
pay honor of badges to call out 5-7 Veteran guards with 1 apah golem to attack player choose this tower ( if choose attack the keep need 300-500 honor of badges )(choose small tower be 50-100) . because right now less people real hard to kill to lord .
( that things is saving for T6-T8 server and helping those server wvw players group up , because right now that commander npc need 5 people to active , like T6-8 server in new york 5:00 a.m. how to get 5 people to active that commander npc , andddd right now the lord is harder than before to kill is not nice to been hardwork on server dead timezone people )

4. if Anet can change new bl every keep from per 15mins
25 server wvw point > change to 35 server wvw point
( to make new bl important , tower contest is far but high wvw point , to make more people to take )

5. On main road set up more Barricades with sentry like the sentry station
( right now those Barricades is too less , cant to play alot strategy )

6. Set up more special skin and finnisher on wvw , PS. like FOTM , PVP , PVE
(to make more people to play wvw get the item we dont mind those item expensive )

sorry i say alot poor english again .

(edited by tobee.1567)

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

These maps are a waste of time and resources. They should have just given the old maps a makeover but kept “things” the same.

They should just reset the maps to the old ones and drop in a real reward system first. Then they can do all their fancy mastery track stuff later.

Edit- Just do the whole red, blue and green super server like eotm too and up map populations.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: Yougottawanna.7420

Yougottawanna.7420

I have a hard time believing this “everyone is PvE’ing” story for the maps being empty. If everyone were PvE’ing you would expect to see all maps empty, but that’s not the case. EB is queued every night on my server (Fort Aspenwood) and the queue seems to show up earlier every night. But I haven’t seen a queue on borderlands outside of reset since the expansion dropped.

What’s more, FA is a “full” server now according to Anet’s counting method, which as I understand it now exclusively counts players in WvW maps. What’s more from what I’ve heard this is the situation on other full servers as well, last I checked the top six servers in NA were all full status.

The conclusion is that players aren’t playing the new borderlands because they don’t like them. And this isn’t some vocal minority either, this is the collective behavior of several entire servers, voting with their feet and queuing for EB while ignoring the borderlands.

I don’t think WvW is dead. I think people will gradually get sick of EB queues and filter into the new maps and they’ll get a bit busier. But this is frustrating. I bet a lot of dev time was put into these maps. Better communication and understanding of what goes on in WvW could have clued you in to how they’d be received.

And this policy of “we won’t show you anything until we have something significant to show you” could just as easily be described “we won’t show you anything until it’s too late to make use of player feedback.” I was in the second stress test where by the second day the maps already felt like ghost towns. And this was in a stress test! Of course by then it’s too late to make anything but minor tweaks.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I have a hard time believing this “everyone is PvE’ing” story for the maps being empty. If everyone were PvE’ing you would expect to see all maps empty, but that’s not the case. EB is queued every night on my server (Fort Aspenwood) and the queue seems to show up earlier every night. But I haven’t seen a queue on borderlands outside of reset since the expansion dropped.

Believe what you want, but the first week after HoT release TLC (on FA) only rallied on Saturday night in WvW. The next week, we rallied only like two times so far and one of those nights was spent checking out the secret quaggan room. Why? Most in the guild are busy grinding PvE to get our guild hall built and upgraded so we can claim objectives in WvW and getting their elite specs. And we’re a guild that ran 4-5 nights a week before HoT. So yea, “everyone is PvE’ing”. On top of that, there’s no threat to FA’s position in T2 at the moment so there’s little reason to get highly competitive right now.

Additionally, that night we checked out the secret quaggan room, we responded to a defense event at garrison. The group that was attacking garrison disappeared and left the map, even though “hey look there are people to fight here” occurred. So in my experience so far it is players being disingenuous with the cry about “there is no one because of the new map”.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

YB experience is about the same as FA experience (maybe most servers) – que EBG which has had pretty decent action, but very hit or miss on the BLs.

The problem is if it is a miss, you can’t get back to EBG. At that point it is pve or the guild arena until later which is past the time EST players prefer to play……

I think I would like a couple copies of EBG and lump the BLs myself…..

PS – think it is safe to say most were on the pve hp train until the 400 hp threshold was reduced to 250. Problem is GH is so darn expensive for basic wvw things many still have to do a lot of pve to experience even the old wvw things like claiming. Either way, Halloween is no longer a convenient excuse…..

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

(edited by Liston.9708)

in WvW

Posted by: Killacam.2064

Killacam.2064

Can’t read it all but I came back to WvW and it is DEAD on t1. GG ANet, killed the best part of your game somehow. Guess you’ll pump more resources into making PvP work for esports… great.

in WvW

Posted by: jdallen.5179

jdallen.5179

Something which would help? Do things to draw back smaller groups… such as making improvements to towers, keeps and camps more accessible to smaller guilds.

We’d worked very hard to unlock a whole series of WvW upgrades which are now completely inaccessible. They are now locked behind our inability to get a guildhall up and running because of size. We will, eventually, but it is very frustrating to have something a group of people worked for to be taken completely away.

There are very neat ideas in the new guild tools for WvW. (one of…) Anet’s mis-step(s) is making them too hard to reach for small guilds.

There are a lot of other good suggestions in this thread as well. I hope Anet picks up on some of them.

And Gliding. Gliding in WvW will make things all better. Really

(edited by jdallen.5179)

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

I’ve still yet to get back into wvw after HoT launched. I want to do some of the better events in dragons stand map but seems every time I go there the map is just as empty as the new BL’s

So yes there are people that are in pve land. I mean out of my 9k I’d say 7k+ is all wvw everyday all day sometimes for years on end.. I need a break.

Plus all the QQ’ing going on in this forums isn’t helping me get back into it..

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

(edited by briggah.7910)

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Maps are designed to split zeergs, because you can’t be everywhere

This only works with a decent population and at least even in T1 NA it doesn’t have the pop, the result is objectives just get ignored. Given that all 6 top NA servers are now capped I continue to question their server cap, it seems way too low to result in the population needed to properly populate these maps , especially across all servers.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Again….Bring back the old bl’s and keep the new map as a playground,aka eotm v2.
Honestly,just get it done before your entire wvw population is about to die out,which is happening atm.

Just Dooooo IIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT!!!!!!

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Suggestion:

Top realm gets desert map
Second gets alpine
Last gets greyed out so no home map.

Two diffrent maps to select more players on one map …

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Suggestion:

Top realm gets desert map
Second gets alpine
Last gets greyed out so no home map.

Two diffrent maps to select more players on one map …

That doesnt make any sense whatsoever. You are giving the bettet ranked server an easily defended border no enemies will bother contesting because they dont want to play there, while the last ranked server get no points because they have no home to hold.

I still say middle ranked get desert, other two alpine. Its the only fair option with 1 desert in the mix.

in WvW

Posted by: Noia.9413

Noia.9413

The reason we stay in the low tiers is because we do not want to transfer to higher ones.

Server merges are an attempt to force us, against our will, to transfer to Tier 1. The real issue here is between those who believe in freedom and those who disregard it.

I like my T7 server just fine. No victory can ever be sweeter than one won against enemies that outnumber you a hundred to one.

Go to EotM if you want merged servers. Transfer to Gold League if you can’t stomach being outnumbered. And do not dare try to take away our sacred liberties.

An avenger of the Pass.

The Feared Intelligence Chief of Borlis Pass

(edited by Noia.9413)

in WvW

Swagger.1459

How many pve events are on a single map roughly?

I ask because I bet they are going to add in that day/night map completion bar to wvw based off of pve events and holding specific things.

That also drastically reduced badges of honor so I’m assuming keys and lock boxes like in HoT zones. Also, in addition to the measly rewards from the new chests inside chests, they will give out like 20 badges per 2 hour “day/night” cycle.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: GROMIT.7829

GROMIT.7829

Not a single person on my server (Piken Square) is even remotely intrested in the Desert Borderlands maps, the moment someone suggests we move from EB to a DB it’s just a collective groan followed by chuckles.

You get the odd commander trying to make something of it but 30 minutes later they just give up and requeue for EB because of how tedious traversing the map, the silly PvE mechanics and the complete lack of involvement in upgrades and upkeep of the keeps which we had scouts for, who by the way have all just disappeared.

If your aim was to make the desert borderlands a baron and unpopulated wasteland like a desert is in real life then you succeeded, if your intention was to bring about diversity then you failed so hilariously it’s untrue.

!!!! YOU’RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR !!!!

in WvW

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Not a single person on my server (Piken Square) is even remotely intrested in the Desert Borderlands maps, the moment someone suggests we move from EB to a DB it’s just a collective groan followed by chuckles.

You get the odd commander trying to make something of it but 30 minutes later they just give up and requeue for EB because of how tedious traversing the map, the silly PvE mechanics and the complete lack of involvement in upgrades and upkeep of the keeps which we had scouts for, who by the way have all just disappeared.

If your aim was to make the desert borderlands a baron and unpopulated wasteland like a desert is in real life then you succeeded, if your intention was to bring about diversity then you failed so hilariously it’s untrue.

I wish more reviews like this were mentioned to ANet before they launched it. I was not part of the beta test, but if I were they would have gotten an earful; not that it would help.

I am sure many were negative, but maybe if they had as much negative feedback as they could get they might have postponed it for a while.

#wishfullthinking

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I have an issue with this simply because I feel it is irrational for someone to claim to know how easy or tedious a map is to traverse is a very short 30 minutes.

Seems to me that they must have entered it with a preconceived dislike, and may have been making every effort to find reasons to be unhappy. I do not feel anyone claiming to make a detemenation in 30 minutes to have been reasonable about it.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Nice that people have action in EBG. I’ve yet to see a single tag pop up for us in T5, and EBG is pretty much always on less than 15 people map-wide, as opposed to 24/7 tag coverage and constant pugmanding. At the moment, completely and utterly dead.

Spent several hours in the new maps hoping to see people were experimenting. Nothing.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

GvG guilds are getting used to fighting in gilded hollow now and since the new maps are huge and WvW didn’t get the server merge and other PPT-PPK changes it needed well yeah the game mode is pretty much dead atm.

in WvW

Posted by: deathklock.4961

deathklock.4961

Thats what they really should rename therm, they are empty.

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

Hahahahah! A year later and someone created another thread with almost identical title!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

Is WvW Really Dead?

idk look at the thread below from a year ago with almost the exact same title!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

GvG guilds are getting used to fighting in gilded hollow now

Well this just means that normal players who wanna have fun can come play wvw. We just still need to smoke these 30-50 man wannabe blob guilds out of game mode.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Swagger.1459

I keep popping in and not seeing a commander tag…

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I keep popping in and not seeing a commander tag…

Then put up your own tag. In my opinion, that isn’t a very good argument. In my experience, My fun is not exclusively commander tag dependant.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Posted by: Fellfoot.8156

Fellfoot.8156

There’s some stuff wrong with wvw at the moment. I roamed the new borderlands today and found a lot that didn’t make sense at all. Still testing though.

…And god knows when real balance will happen – that includes class balance and zerg balance (like the minus condi duration food nerf meaning a buff to the plus condi duration food buff and stability, boon stealing and all this stuff)….

Sometimes I feel like I was just “born yesterday”. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the new HoT stats include condi/boon duration +/- ??? If they do, then no wonder they nerfed WvW meta foods.

Edit: Not because they want force the really competitive people to buy HoT (maybe?) but mainly because the people that do have HoT would become OP with the new stats and the UNnerfed foods. The WvW meta has been put in a meat grinder for sure… I wonder what will come out the other end?

[AIR] Henge of Denravi aka Pink Abu, [BAMA] RollTide
chopping wood one day, dropped a piece,
all I could say was, “…fell…foot…”

(edited by Fellfoot.8156)

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Sometimes I feel like I was just “born yesterday”. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the new HoT stats include condi/boon duration +/- ??? If they do, then no wonder they nerfed WvW meta foods.

I don’t own HoT.
The nerf to both + and – condi duration was in fact a buff to condi duration – and I do wonder why those who did the stats change didn’t notice.

in WvW

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Yes WvW is dead, aside from EBG during NA prime, there’s just no queues anywhere else. Been to desert borderlands many times, you could barely find a guild group to fight. And when it was zerg vs zerg, the new mechanics and design of the map makes it very tedious and unfun to play in. This isn’t to mention the terrible warping/skill lag that happens everytime laser event is up.

I’m glad Anet admitted they didn’t treat WvW well this expansion. But we need more than that, we need to know what changes are coming and when. Not this next year crap.

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

I kinda like the new map and think it could be rly fun but the opinion of one person or even the minority matters very little. too many ppl dont like it and therefore it is failing.

it would work if it were the only map, however the complaining would reach epic levels. boo hoo I dont wanna be forced… blah blah. but it would bring wvw back to life.

oh yeah and delete the laser event.

in WvW

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

this certainly wasn’t the case 2 years ago. even if it did “slow down”, there were plenty of people left to fill up BL’s and EBG. WvW just isn’t attracting anyone at all.

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

this certainly wasn’t the case 2 years ago. even if it did “slow down”, there were plenty of people left to fill up BL’s and EBG. WvW just isn’t attracting anyone at all.

The population wasn’t close to what it was 2 years ago even before HoT release. In most of the tiers you wouldn’t see many large zergs running outside of primetime, but you would see a ton of small groups through out the day.
But HoT released a crap ton of changes that has ruined WvW for small groups, so yeah… it’s dead.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.5389

Phantom.5389

Atleast we still have EB queued up for a really long period of time now :’)

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.5389

Phantom.5389

My list of changes from HoT that are pretty amazing :

(1) The new sentry detection system is great. It mades sentry more useful and allows players to not lose time going where the ennemy is not (it goes well with point 2). This new sentry was also suposed to kill yaks and get people to go flip the sentries… sadly… yaks are useless so on that part it failed to hit the mark.

(2) The map calls when a structure is taken by X server is also great. It might only be a solo roamer, but it will still improve the information network. This combined with a sentry that scouted a group of players earlier allows you to walk directly to where you think the group will be in the next few seconds.

(3) I like the fact that lord HP scales up with the number of players. It gives people a better response time to gather enough folks to get a good fight instead of getting structures flipped without a good brawl in the lord room.

Here is a list of things that needs a little tweak before being things that could be decent for WvW.

(1) Auto upgrades seems awesome on paper… But I think simply making it so upgrades are forced to be in a specific order would of solved the troll problem. Make it so yaks count! Yaks are useless now. Also, waypoint on T0 keep makes WvW lose its touch. I remember when we did map calls on every map to get our people to defend our T3 keep with a waypoint. Those were fun fights in the lord room. Now? Keep flips and it doesn’t matter since we will grab it back while gaining access to the only upgrade which truly did matters as a welcome gift. Also, removing Bay and Hills waypoint on the new map just bring less fights (less incentive to actually go defend it since it will never get a waypoint).

(2) The new event in the Desert bordeland map. This event seems great and all. But I still think that a big area with a cap point could of been a better choice than to kill those PVE monsters. Imagine a large cap where there is a timer ticking down for every second your server control the point. I feel like it would be more appropriate for a players vs players environnement. King of the hills kind of tournament would of been amazing I think. Atleast the event as it is is not so fun, it’s just that those Dinos don’t really belong to WvW if you ask me (my opinion, sorry if some people love those Dinos XD). A king of the hill tournament could of been one big platform or up to 3 big platform where each platform control gives you -1 second on the total timer. Once it reachs 0 the canon is yours.

Things that I think are negative to WvW

(1) The non players automated things in the Desert borderland map. I’m talking about those slow turrets, those flame turrets, those winds turrets and those earth walls. They are annoying more than anything. As to replace those things, I would simply take them off and get the blessing of the element when near that area (no more need to actually go and click the shrine to get the move speed boost). I would also take back the combat boost that those elemental buffs gives, environement should not give such a potent stats boost which vary depending on the region you are playing on (same with the imune to burning in fire keep). Also, invisible zergs is simply a bad concept, but I got no idea how to replace that buff without imbalacing the fights (need help finding a solution so I can edit that part later on) .Finally, since earth keep have 2 automated things, (turrets and walls). I would simply give them a detector (like a sentry would if it spotted an ennemy) all over the keep so it can detect any hiding ennemies inside that keep and in the close periphery of that keep.

(2) Fortified gate… Those are new and they are slow to take down. Also guild catapults got nerfed to the ground so breaking a fortified wall takes an army or will simply take forever if you are a roaming squad. But gate is now also fortified… So it just means more time raming or catapulting those objectives…which in the end me and my roaming friends just leave them be since it’s too much of a chore.

(3) The pathing of the map seems to be worse than what Alpine borderland offered. Zigzaging and going up and down makes the map that is slightly larger to feel like walking from point A to point B to take much more time than what it used to be on Alpine borderland. Or atleast it feels less straightfoward and more about dodging the ennemy than to engage them. Those keeps are just so vast with so many pathway. Keeping it simple is not always a bad thing.

(4) Reset on saturday morning… Bring back friday night reset. This night was crazy, even more than saturday night reset. Get back from work, install yourself and play with your friends on a friday night was amazing.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
Basically, I think a tweaked Alpine would be better. Alpine had its flaws, but people still loved that map after 3 years (sure they asked some fix there and there, but a total revamp of the map doesn’t seem to get us to a better place, fixed some problems only to make new ones arise).

(edited by Phantom.5389)

in WvW

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

My list of changes from HoT that are pretty amazing :

(1) The new sentry detection system is great. It mades sentry more useful and allows players to not lose time going where the ennemy is not (it goes well with point 2). This new sentry was also suposed to kill yaks and get people to go flip the sentries… sadly… yaks are useless so on that part it failed to hit the mark.

(2) The map calls when a structure is taken by X server is also great. It might only be a solo roamer, but it will still improve the information network. This combined with a sentry that scouted a group of players earlier allows you to walk directly to where you think the group will be in the next few seconds.

(3) I like the fact that lord HP scales up with the number of players. It gives people a better response time to gather enough folks to get a good fight instead of getting structures flipped without a good brawl in the lord room.

Here is a list of things that needs a little tweak before being things that could be decent for WvW.

(1) Auto upgrades seems awesome on paper… But I think simply making it so upgrades are forced to be in a specific order would of solved the troll problem. Make it so yaks count! Yaks are useless now. Also, waypoint on T0 keep makes WvW lose its touch. I remember when we did map calls on every map to get our people to defend our T3 keep with a waypoint. Those were fun fights in the lord room. Now? Keep flips and it doesn’t matter since we will grab it back while gaining access to the only upgrade which truly did matters as a welcome gift. Also, removing Bay and Hills waypoint on the new map just bring less fights (less incentive to actually go defend it since it will never get a waypoint).

(2) The new event in the Desert bordeland map. This event seems great and all. But I still think that a big area with a cap point could of been a better choice than to kill those PVE monsters. Imagine a large cap where there is a timer ticking down for every second your server control the point. I feel like it would be more appropriate for a players vs players environnement. King of the hills kind of tournament would of been amazing I think. Atleast the event as it is is not so fun, it’s just that those Dinos don’t really belong to WvW if you ask me (my opinion, sorry if some people love those Dinos XD). A king of the hill tournament could of been one big platform or up to 3 big platform where each platform control gives you -1 second on the total timer. Once it reachs 0 the canon is yours.

Things that I think are negative to WvW

(1) The non players automated things in the Desert borderland map. I’m talking about those slow turrets, those flame turrets, those winds turrets and those earth walls. They are annoying more than anything. As to replace those things, I would simply take them off and get the blessing of the element when near that area (no more need to actually go and click the shrine to get the move speed boost). I would also take back the combat boost that those elemental buffs gives, environement should not give such a potent stats boost which vary depending on the region you are playing on (same with the imune to burning in fire keep). Also, invisible zergs is simply a bad concept, but I got no idea how to replace that buff without imbalacing the fights (need help finding a solution so I can edit that part later on) .Finally, since earth keep have 2 automated things, (turrets and walls). I would simply give them a detector (like a sentry would if it spotted an ennemy) all over the keep so it can detect any hiding ennemies inside that keep and in the close periphery of that keep.

(2) Fortified gate… Those are new and they are slow to take down. Also guild catapults got nerfed to the ground so breaking a fortified wall takes an army or will simply take forever if you are a roaming squad. But gate is now also fortified… So it just means more time raming or catapulting those objectives…which in the end me and my roaming friends just leave them be since it’s too much of a chore.

(3) The pathing of the map seems to be worse than what Alpine borderland offered. Zigzaging and going up and down makes the map that is slightly larger to feel like walking from point A to point B to take much more time than what it used to be on Alpine borderland. Or atleast it feels less straightfoward and more about dodging the ennemy than to engage them. Those keeps are just so vast with so many pathway. Keeping it simple is not always a bad thing.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
Basically, I think a tweaked Alpine would be better. Alpine had its flaws, but people still loved that map after 3 years (sure they asked some fix there and there, but a total revamp of the map doesn’t seem to get us to a better place, fixed some problems only to make new ones arise).

Maybe they could fix invisible zergs by thickening the sand effect, removing the invisibility buff, and making players untargetable while in there?

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian