Is WvW a fair game?

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: void.6217

void.6217

I am mostly interested in WvW re GW2, I dont play PvE, Dungeons etc.

As I figured WvW is a server based matching game, where the number of people in each team heavily depends on which server you are.

I’m playing for a relatively low populated server and I’ve assigned to the red team for two months in a row now.

Every time I play, I’m severely outnumbered, I need to spend hours jumping across EBG or EOTM to even find a tag or play 1v5 or 1v10.

Apparently you can not change to a server that is full and in general you need to pay money to change the server.

I payed as much money as everyone else for this game and I’m not just at huge disadvantage, my game experience is simply crippled that playing WvW under these conditions doesn’t make any sense.

Other people who bought this game earlier and playing on higher level servers are basically playing a different version of the game, they level a few times faster, they get a few times more money, items, karma you name it.

All of it at my expense, I payed for them to have fun to have none myself. I didn’t signed up to be a scape goat for my $$. This game must give equal chance to everyone who paid equally.

As a customer I would like Arena Net to have a fair warning regarding WvW before you buying the game about how server matching is structured, saying that basically there are good slots that are all taken and crappy slots for new players where they shove you after taking your money to eat shoot every day for months.

Right now it feels like I’ve been scammed out of my money and I want my money back.

(edited by void.6217)

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: Fellfoot.8156

Fellfoot.8156

I am mostly interested in WvW re GW2, I dont play PvE, Dungeons etc.

As I figured WvW is a server based matching game, where the number of people in each team heavily depends on which server you are.

I’m playing for a relatively low populated server and I’ve assigned to the red team for two months in a row now.

Every time I play, I’m severely outnumbered, I need to spend hours jumping across EBG or EOTM to even find a tag or play 1v5 or 1v10.

Apparently you can not change to a server that is full and in general you need to pay money to change the server.

I payed as much money as everyone else for this game and I’m not just at huge disadvantage, my game experience is simply crippled that playing WvW under these conditions doesn’t make any sense.

Other people who bought this game earlier and playing on higher level servers are basically playing a different version of the game, they level a few times faster, they get a few times more money, items, karma you name it.

All of it at my expense, I payed for them to have fun to have none myself. I didn’t signed up to be a scape goat for my $$. This game must give equal chance to everyone who paid equally.

As a customer I would like Arena Net to have a fair warning regarding WvW before you buying the game about how server matching is structured, saying that basically there are good slots that are all taken and crappy slots for new players where they shove you after taking your money to eat shoot every day for months.

Right now it feels like I’ve been scammed out of my money and I want my money back.

#truthhurts I feel for you. I know what it’s like getting destroyed by greater numbers over and over and over again. Not sure I’ve got a solution for you, though. Not sure if ANET has one either.

[AIR] Henge of Denravi aka Pink Abu, [BAMA] RollTide
chopping wood one day, dropped a piece,
all I could say was, “…fell…foot…”

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

void.6217

#truthhurts I feel for you. I know what it’s like getting destroyed by greater numbers over and over and over again. Not sure I’ve got a solution for you, though. Not sure if ANET has one either.

I have a strong feeling that programming languages give you enough flexibility to make 3 teams equal in numbers at any time give or take say 10-15%.

The simplest version – assign every new player that joins a battleground to the smallest team. Disallow taxiing in. If many people leave one team, disband that team, redistribute people to other teams. If you have one huge team, split it in half etc.

I’m pretty sure that with all dynamic “dynamics” GW2 is so proud of there is an acceptable solution.

That is if you actually care or want to provide fair entertainment services.

The idea of tethering teams to servers which is an internal system division that as a customer I don’t have to even know (not to mention so much worry) about is ridiculous and is the root of all these problems.

Servers should serve to balance game workload, not affect the actual game play so dramatically.

(edited by void.6217)

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I am often runing solo or paired with a friend in WvW on tier 8.
Population is realy low. But i can get nice fights at equal numers or one more at the oposing side.
Of course there are moments i don´t meet others and then a group of 3-5 gets in my way and i have to avoid them. I definitly would like to see more small roaming teams.
But there is not Keep defence. A server decides to take keeps + towers. Builds a 10 man group and takes all without resistance…. WOW thats WvW …

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

I have a strong feeling that programming languages give you enough flexibility to make 3 teams equal in numbers at any time give or take say 10-15%.

The simplest version – assign every new player that joins a battleground to the smallest team. Disallow taxiing in. If many people leave one team, disband that team, redistribute people to other teams. If you have one huge team, split it in half etc.

I’m pretty sure that with all dynamic “dynamics” GW2 is so proud of there is an acceptable solution.

That is if you actually care or want to provide fair entertainment services.

The idea of tethering teams to servers which is an internal system division that as a customer I don’t have to even know (not to mention so much worry) about is ridiculous and is the root of all these problems.

Servers should serve to balance game workload, not affect the actual game play so dramatically.

That sounds like a “fair”-EotM.
I still need my community/guild to play wvw with, so I will avoid every automatic-teams map.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

I’d wager that anyone who’s played WvW since launch has paid out gems to transfer at least once. So no, you haven’t paid as much as everyone else.

The transfer mechanic is there if you are dissatisfied with your existing world, and you don’t even have to pay real money to use it. Simply farm a pve zone for a day and you’ll earn enough gold to buy the gems to transfer. Not many games out there offer that option. Most will price gouge you to transfer.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

void.6217

That sounds like a “fair”-EotM.
I still need my community/guild to play wvw with, so I will avoid every automatic-teams map.

You can make gvg maps on the same principle where instead of distributing individuals you distribute units of players. But again as equally as possible.

You don’t want to run your 15 ppl guild against 100 in EBG, do you? It’s fun for 10 mins then you just leave because it’s pointless.

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Bubi.5237

I’d wager that anyone who’s played WvW since launch has paid out gems to transfer at least once. So no, you haven’t paid as much as everyone else.

The transfer mechanic is there if you are dissatisfied with your existing world, and you don’t even have to pay real money to use it. Simply farm a pve zone for a day and you’ll earn enough gold to buy the gems to transfer. Not many games out there offer that option. Most will price gouge you to transfer.

(Or you can delete all of your characters and transfer for free. BTW I did not transferred even once, true, I am playing wvw (in wvw guilds) only since summer of 2013 and was lucky to start on SFR.)

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Bubi.5237

You can make gvg maps on the same principle where instead of distributing individuals you distribute units of players. But again as equally as possible.

You don’t want to run your 15 ppl guild against 100 in EBG, do you? It’s fun for 10 mins then you just leave because it’s pointless.

But my community is my server and I want to play with them.. well, except a few :P
You probably don’t know the feeling of seeing familiar names/guildtags in a pugraid, you know them ‘cos you’re playing with them for months..

If the matchmaking was working and/or If the PPT-system was less coverage-dependent, it would be almost no-problem as servers with similar strength would fight each other.

Now if we have empty servers, that’s another problem. You can ofc make Alliances, but that’s just renaming the servers, and temporary groups are too pointless for me. I’m fighting for my server, my community, not for a name assigned to me by an algorithm.
It can make fun Fights but not fun WvW Matchups.

I’m all for a gvg/fight “queue”/matchmaking place/map/system, but not instead of wvw.

Anet said “somewhere on the forum” (still broken search FTW!) that they didn’t want WvW to be fair, and they did a good job with that… It’s not fair xD

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

WvW isn’t fair for anyone right now given the exploits and glitches. Plus the mechanics of the mode were never setup to be fair to begin with. I play on a mid tier server and the mechanics and lack of support become so frustrating that its hardly worth participating in. I don’t know how it is on the high tier servers, maybe it’s a bit more inticing? I’m on ehmry bay, I’ve always been, joined it within the first month of gw2 release. It only has a moderate population. Every Bl basically has their prime times where the other two are screwed. And sometimes a Bl has such a higher population that their prime times last much longer and occur many times more than others. If you really wanna give it a shot, and you get the chance, make sure you transfer to one of the top 3 servers. But don’t expect much even then.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

void.6217

You can fight for your name or name of your community, that’s understandable. Right now you’re fighting for the name of a specific piece of hardware though; and you are assigned to that specific hardware automatically by the system.

If some company makes an unfair game based on “good” servers and “bad” servers – that’s fine.

But it must be openly stated that the game is not fair and after you pay your money to buy the game, you might be assigned to a “bad” server which will cripple your game experience and you will have either to pay more money or to work for in-game currency to transfer yourself to a “good” server.

Which makes your way to a “good” server more important than the game itself and eventually what? All people will cluster on a “good” server?

Second of all, this is absurd.

First of all, right now GW2 is sold as a fair game while a significant part of it is not, and that need to be changed.

Anyway, I think I made my point.

(edited by void.6217)

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Jayne.9251

No, you didn’t really.

You have options. Some of which cost you nothing but in-game time.

If you didn’t have options, or were forced to pay real money to find options, then perhaps you’d have a point.

Otherwise, it’s just grousing.

One person’s definition of a “good” server does not mean the same thing to others.

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

You can ofc make Alliances, but that’s just renaming the servers, and temporary groups are too pointless for me.

Depends how you do alliances, EVE Online uses alliances (and a megaserver) and has a stronger “community” with more depth than GW2 ever had.

Anet said “somewhere on the forum” (still broken search FTW!) that they didn’t want WvW to be fair, and they did a good job with that… It’s not fair xD

Depends what you mean by “not fair”, uneven fights at times, getting ganked, etc, yeah that is fine, but when matchups are often so lopsided in terms of population / coverage it simply makes the game mode into a joke, and makes it boring for everyone (who isn’t a bit “special”), it is boring when you are ticking 500 with no one to fight, it is boring being on the other end of it, and it devalues the game mode to the point that “winning” is a meaningless joke to most.

Which is one of the reasons WvW has been in a state of near permanent decline, people may be making a fuss over the new low WvW has hit with the new map, but the reality is it has not been healthy for a long time.

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Depends what you mean by “not fair”, uneven fights at times, getting ganked, etc, yeah that is fine, but when matchups are often so lopsided in terms of population / coverage it simply makes the game mode into a joke, and makes it boring for everyone (who isn’t a bit “special”), it is boring when you are ticking 500 with no one to fight, it is boring being on the other end of it, and it devalues the game mode to the point that “winning” is a meaningless joke to most.

So Anet steps in and puts server caps on “full” servers to help resolve this one-sided mess that is player-created, and the forums light up with hundreds of threads complaining.

Players have it within their own grasp to change this.

They just choose not to — particularly in NA.

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Bubi.5237

Depends how you do alliances, EVE Online uses alliances (and a megaserver) and has a stronger “community” with more depth than GW2 ever had.

Alliances are fine, but that’s just a renaming of servers.
You can’t make it “guild based”, as then the “pugs” can’t join it, so you’ll have a similar system to the servers we have now.
I tried to say this, maybe I failed.

You can fight for your name or name of your community, that’s understandable. Right now you’re fighting for the name of a specific piece of hardware though; and you are assigned to that specific hardware automatically by the system.

Nope, I’m fighting for the community we built during the last few years, not for a HW, and I was not assigned to it automatically. I chose it, and you chose yourself yours, even if you did not know beforehand what that specific server means regarding wvw gameplay.
You can “easily” change servers, 1-2 day in SW/Whatever the newest farmplace is and transfer without any $$ involved.

(edited by Bubi.5237)

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Anyway, I think I made my point.

Not really. First you claimed you play on a lower tier server, can’t find any tags and only fight 1vs5 and 1vs10. Then you turn around and say you don’t want to run a 15 man guild group into a 100 man blob. Things do not add up with what you are saying..

You have the option to transfer like everyone else has but it seems you do not want to fork over money or farm pve for gold to transfer so you’d rather turn it into EoTM.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

No, you didn’t really.

You have options. Some of which cost you nothing but in-game time.

If you didn’t have options, or were forced to pay real money to find options, then perhaps you’d have a point.

Otherwise, it’s just grousing.

One person’s definition of a “good” server does not mean the same thing to others.

Agree completely, some people actually like those empty tiers. If Anet’s willing to leave them open, live and let live. OP made a newbie error, albiet a gallant one by going to the weakest server he could. If more people did that we wouldn’t have so many balance issues in RvR games. You can transfer to any server you like for less than 250 gold or 35 bucks.. Or, delete and reroll.
Nonissue

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I don´t like huge blob fighting. I prefer an server where there is a healthy number on it that is intrested to assault, defend and roam and this all works together for rewards and gameplay. The 20 man siege group is as important then the two man roming team taking camps, distracting enemies and bringing/cuting suplies and upgrading keeps. As its not possible to do all eficient with a blob.

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Alliances are fine, but that’s just a renaming of servers.
You can’t make it “guild based”, as then the “pugs” can’t join it, so you’ll have a similar system to the servers we have now.
I tried to say this, maybe I failed.

Pugs could be alliance members without being in a guild, but beyond that it is like I said it depends on how you design the alliance system.

For example, you could still keep it server based and use an alliance system to balance things out, so you’d assign the servers to one of three alliances based on their strength, so the strongest server would be in the same group as the weakest, and so on.

Then you would either change the system to either have more maps that you share between all the servers, in essence one big matchup, or keep servers in their own normal matchups, but have a way so players can go help in other matchups for the server in their alliance, either way you get to keep your ‘server community’, but you’d end up with a game that had a bit more balance in terms of population / coverage.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Right now you’re fighting for the name of a specific piece of hardware

Nope, I’m fighting for the community we built during the last few years, not for a HW, and I was not assigned to it automatically. I chose it, and you chose yourself yours, even if you did not know beforehand what that specific server means regarding wvw gameplay.

Right? What a big LOL! “fighting for hardware” as if the community relationships players have built up the past three years never happened. SMH

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Chaba.5410

As its not possible to do all eficient with a blob.

The big gorilla in the room here. How many players in that blob are willing to take initiative to split off and do something on a different part of a map in support of their blob? Usually the answer is next to zero.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: Sungtaro.6493

Sungtaro.6493

The big gorilla in the room here. How many players in that blob are willing to take initiative to split off and do something on a different part of a map in support of their blob? Usually the answer is next to zero.

The problem I find in those situations is the very people that have the required skills/knowledge to do that effectively are the same core people making the blob work.

If they leave the blob, the blob drops in effectiveness at an alarming rate.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Chaba.5410

The problem I find in those situations is the very people that have the required skills/knowledge to do that effectively are the same core people making the blob work.

That’s what the guild is for. Not many guilds run satellite groups to play a map anymore since fights are more fun. But still that requires players stepping up to lead organizational structures and we know how punishing the HoT guild changes have been to smaller WvW guilds by locking previously unlocked buffs behind upgrades.

Chaba Tangnu

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

I’m a NA Tier 6 PUG Commander…

My previous habitat found in the old Alpine Border was taken away & I’m left stranded on a new Desert BL without the use of Traveler Runes to pilot my Golem when trying to lead a small havoc team of 1-2 players.

It’s extremely difficult to lead a small havoc group in an effort to start the ball rolling to take towers & keeps in the current Desert Borderlands without being jumped by 1-2 roamers that will destroy your golem enroute to a tower.

Also, previous Guild Upgrades being stripped from us also contribute in the decline of the number of PUG Commanders in my opinion.

The +5 camp buff was a staple we feed our havoc group in trying to grow it into a zerg. The use of Rams or Guild Catapults are used more than Golems, but having to do more supply runs to build without the +5 buff makes it difficult to survive getting past frustrating failures.

(edited by Diku.2546)

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

You can delete all your characters on your account, then place legendaries and ascended gear/weapons on your bank and everything else that is important to you and then it is free to move your account at any server you wish, that is open. You will have to level all your characters again, which if you powerlevel should not take a lot of time, maybe a week for each if you are in a hurry.

You wont be saving the crafting, you will save wvw ranks, but this way you get out of your server and can move to another server totally free.

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

WvW isn’t fair.

I’ve been on Desolation for the past 3 years, and we’ve been up and down the ranks.
I even quit the game during Season 1, when Deso dropped to the Silver leagues and basically night capped our way to winning that Season and the rewards it brought.

Now Deso has taken the place of SFR, we’ve lost half our Guilds this past year to other Servers, yes it may be #1 in the EU, but the community isn’t recognizable anymore, there’s no hard work put in. apart from a few people who try to do their bit, otherwise it’s just pointless as PvD off-peak wins MUs.

Commanding was challenging or fun for me, as I didn’t even get to GvG or anything back then, that was too elitist for me back then, but things change.

I’ve pretty much figured out that, all that stuff is pointless to worry about, kitten that stuff really and believing, it was important. WvW isn’t really competitively balanced enough, players and guilds move all the time, so there’s no point caring about that stuff, even Server Pride.

What this game needs is more support towards WvW and GvG guilds, unless they completely rework the entire home server and transfer system.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

Is WvW a fair game?

in WvW

Posted by: Sungtaro.6493

Sungtaro.6493

That’s what the guild is for. Not many guilds run satellite groups to play a map anymore since fights are more fun. But still that requires players stepping up to lead organizational structures and we know how punishing the HoT guild changes have been to smaller WvW guilds by locking previously unlocked buffs behind upgrades.

Tags and drivers have been disappearing for a while. It is, in a sense, the major issue facing wvw. Doesn’t do any good to try to split up the blob if only one person is willing to step up and lead in a time period. You will only get a blob because there is, at most, one person to follow.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.