Is all the wildlife necessary?

in WvW

Posted by: Trimethicon.7405

Trimethicon.7405

Per the topic title; I’m curious as to the decision/thoughts, that went into having rabid wildlife in WvW? I would have to assume that getting rid of them would also help reduce lag somewhat.

Twist the Blade, 80 Thief
Yaks Bend
TOG – (The Orrian Ghosts)

in WvW

Posted by: Nevron.9413

Nevron.9413

But it’s the one thing we can see in WvW with any consistency..

Guild – Shadow of Apophis [SoA]

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

ANet seem to love littering the world with all kind of mobs.

sPvP has plenty of mobs (sharks, chieftains, Lords)
PvE has SOOOO many mobs in certain zones you can’t move without adding.

WvW has a pretty crazy mob-density in some areas.

I think it’s fine to have the odd pack of mobs in some places since they can make for some cool PvP moments. But as usual, ANet went a little overboard in some places.

in WvW

Posted by: Azaruil.3406

Azaruil.3406

I do like having neutral npcs on the battlefield, because it often adds interesting dynamics. Had 2 servers fighting over speldan once while also fighting the champion spirit at the same time. It was a pretty fun and interesting fight.

I would agree though that the amount of neutral npcs is a bit much and are not needed everywhere, but I also wouldnt take them completely away from WvW.

Aza
“I smell like pomegranate.”

in WvW

Posted by: Trimethicon.7405

Trimethicon.7405

I would like to see them turn off the aggro on mobs unless hit, strictly the wildlife, not the mobs that can aid you. This would also provide some strategy; lets say I’m running along alone, I encounter a zerg, I decide to run into a herd of Wild Moa’s, the zerg tries to hit me with AOEs and the mobs aggro the zerg.

Twist the Blade, 80 Thief
Yaks Bend
TOG – (The Orrian Ghosts)

in WvW

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Part of the idea behind WvW was that, if you chose, you could level a character from 1-80 and do all the gathering and crafting and progression based stuff that players in PvE could do.

So you have mobs for kill variety, some of the achievements, fine crafting materials, skill points, dynamic events, unlocking weapon skills, yada yada. It’s also neat to see how people adapt when their skirmishes with each other are interrupted by a herd of Raptors.

Some of those progression things would just take way way to long if you had to do them with player kills alone and loot from such alone.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Kaleden.9386

Kaleden.9386

I think the wildlife serves many useful functions. They’re good for killing – dropping loot to help recoup WvW costs in addition to ticking up sigil boosts. They give something for defenders to do (it’s important that fortifications have defenders).

They make decent scouts – a zerg train that happens by them could trigger a notification if too many get in combat. They kill unprotected siege, making it harder for small strike teams to take fortifications. They also provide rally fodder and can be used to secure a safe escape… or a bloody demise.

Fortunately, they’re not always in the way during WvW. They seem to be located where people like to take shortcuts, which I think was a good idea. If you want to be sneaky taking a shortcut – you gotta burn some endurance dodging NPC attacks.

in WvW

Posted by: Gankfest.4965

Gankfest.4965

Cursed Shore is ridiculous when it comes to mob density. I never go there… And want to keep it that way.

Gankfest™ ~ <PRX> ~ JQ
80 ~ Thief/Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: shortcake.8659

shortcake.8659

what in the crap does this thread have to do with cursed shore you server bandwagon hopping chublobster

some terrible idiot in [pre]