Is it time for server merge?

in WvW

Posted by: ketorin.5923

ketorin.5923

to fill up the maps mostly around the clock…

we’re at about 3.5 years since original release..populations have vastly changed..HoT brought a lot back but nowhere near what it was.. and most of those people aren’t coming back outside of occasional pve content…

that being said..to focus on the solid population that does remain..

would server mergers for WvW help?

Warrior – Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Gross…I don’t want some filthy FA player at my side in battle.

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

No, server mergers won’t work. If NA primetime has map queues now, how bad will they be when more people are added to the mix?

Putting servers together does little to nothing about the uneven distribution of players at various time of the day.

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

No, server mergers won’t work. If NA primetime has map queues now, how bad will they be when more people are added to the mix?

Putting servers together does little to nothing about the uneven distribution of players at various time of the day.

Does NA have queues on every server during primetime?

In the EU the further down the servers you go the less likely you’ll find queues. Hell, the server I’m on is pretty high up in EU and the queues are only ever on EB so there’s plenty of space on the other maps for players.

For server merges you’d lock the top populated servers and merge the lowest population ones with the medium population ones. Essentially, merge the lowest bronze league server with the highest population silver league server and continue on like that.

Merging servers may cause some unrest and could ruin some server communities but keeping it as wont ever change the balance issues in the game.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

+1 for server merge.

6 servers all up is what we need, always in constant rotation with each other.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

I’ve wondered instead of merge – rotating teams of servers each week. S1 + s24 vs s2 + s23 vs s3 + s22 etc….

You get variety based on pairings (not always s1 + s24).
You don’t lose your server identity if that is important to you.
You don’t lose your server ts or website.
You continue to play wth who you are used to – just extra peeps.

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

That ship has sailed a long time ago.

[HUE]

in WvW

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

Well i prefer server merges with the very low populated servers, then mega servers a la EotM. If wvw turns in to some sort of mega system it will be the last nail in the coffin.

My suggestion would be to give them a free transfer of their own choice. That way they can move to high or low tier depending on what they prefer. Give them a few weeks to decide, then close the servers and those that did not log in yet will get a option to move when they log in next time. It is not optimal, i realize that, but it is not optimal to change all servers either.

in WvW

Posted by: SpreadCheese.5208

SpreadCheese.5208

An FA player asking for server merges?

Do you even log in and play WvW on FA?

in WvW

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

The WvW revamp may make servers irrelevant.

But since the devs are afraid to talk to us or even consider our input, we have no clue what is coming.

Until the devs get a backbone and have a dialogue with us, we are in the dark….. playing other games and caring less and less about ANET and GW2 every day.

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

I signed onto my second account on Kaineng tonight and was instantly reminded about what I love about the lower tiers. It’s often a small community and I guess I’d compare it to a small town, everyone knows everyone and the drama is near zero most of the time with fun times. It still feels like launch down there with epic small scale fights and those crazy moments at towers where you and one dude or chick pull off a miracle defense against crazy odds.

My main is in T1. I don’t mind T1, it’s ok for roaming because that’s the only mode that is holding my interest lately. But I do find the more players the less epic moments or togetherness….yaks bend is an exception because they do have a good community IMO and something can be said for DK being the face of YB, yes I know…you all hate him. Keep in mind, I’m just a roamer, I have no interest in your stupid T1 politics But he may be one of the few vanilla commanders left in this game because so many have moved on. The point is, community is such a rarity in present wvw and it seems lower tiers still have some genuinity to them though I know keeping the dream alive in lower tiers is harder than ever and transferring up may be a guilds only option with anet dropping the ball here.

Having seen both sides I have no interest in merging I guess, I really like the low key roaming the lower tiers offer. The roamers are much better down here in my experience as I’ve been in T1 through T8 and come across a lot dueling and friends along the way. I think it’s more of a survivor mentality in the lower tiers as you can’t depend on others, you are on an island most of your time.

I can’t speak for T8 or T7, but eliminating those servers might be best, but there are some long time loyal players on those servers I know who don’t want a server merge and I can respect that.

BMS/CNB for life

in WvW

Posted by: nolasthitnotomorrow.8563

nolasthitnotomorrow.8563

I’ve wondered instead of merge – rotating teams of servers each week. S1 + s24 vs s2 + s23 vs s3 + s22 etc….

Mate we got 18 servers in EU…
Also.. I got 3-10 people in zergs when I command in Black Tide (EU) this is gross and really annoying. I really like the server’s name.
And to be honest we don’t need to merge the servers. We need season to bring the filthy casuals to play the mode. There is no reason to play wvw unless you’re a big fan of the mode. Most of the pve grinders out there don’tfind it fun because you don’t gain anything by playing it.

I know what I am saying is bad for T1 and other higher servers.. but Black Tide used to have server population on high/very high before the new way of counting the numbers by wvw activity. All of the players on the server are just afking somewhere waiting for their raid of champ chain or whatever these hobos are doing.
Either merge the server, that’ll make me cry inside or make some changes that will make the sheeps take interest in wvw.

(edited by nolasthitnotomorrow.8563)

in WvW

Posted by: Deaeira.2651

Deaeira.2651

Mate we got 18 servers in EU…
Also.. I got 3-10 people in zergs when I command in Black Tide (EU) this is gross and really annoying. I really like the server’s name.
And to be honest we don’t need to merge the servers. We need season to bring the filthy casuals to play the mode. There is no reason to play wvw unless you’re a big fan of the mode. Most of the pve grinders out there don’tfind it fun because you don’t gain anything by playing it.

I know what I am saying is bad for T1 and other higher servers.. but Black Tide used to have server population on high/very high before the new way of counting the numbers by wvw activity. All of the players on the server are just afking somewhere waiting for their raid of champ chain or whatever these hobos are doing.
Either merge the server, that’ll make me cry inside or make some changes that will make the sheeps take interest in wvw.

On Wednesday you had a nice setup going, though, with some effective surprise attacks :-) I completely agree that getting PvE / PvPers is of higher importance than server merges. When I see long time WvWers running in EOTM instead, there’s more wrong than just the server size.

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

We have 18 servers in EU? Ok.. it’s 27 actually.

ETA: I agree though, lets fix wvw before thinking of server merge. I guess my server is the only thing that makes me play wvw from time to time. If I were forced to play on a different/megaserver I’d quit instantly. Not out of principle but because I know that I wouldn’t have fun.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in WvW

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Merging is not a solution as it does not solve any problems with WvW. Even if you remove 9, 12 or 15 servers, most people will still transfer into few highest population servers and others will again be empty. The matches are still boring and zergs run around in empty maps.

Without long term solution to why people dont want to play in WvW all these merges are fails.

in WvW

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Its not that much different in FoW, and we are comfortably second in tier 8. Our pug commanders dont get 50 people either. 10 if they lucky, sometimes just 5. Its been actually really good week for us and Arborstone has been much more fun to fight, compared to that horrible boring WSR. We are just starting to see people tagging up again and going into multiple maps to take objectives.

Without Jd daily raids FoW would probably be down there with BT, UW, Vabbi and RoS. But having even one dedicated WvW guild makes huge difference, specially in these low tiers.

in WvW

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

3 factions is the way to go

in WvW

psizone.8437

Merging is not a solution as it does not solve any problems with WvW. Even if you remove 9, 12 or 15 servers, most people will still transfer into few highest population servers and others will again be empty. The matches are still boring and zergs run around in empty maps.

Without long term solution to why people dont want to play in WvW all these merges are fails.

It’s a solution if they lock the highest population servers. No matter what, if Anet don’t lock servers you’ll have flocking to the high population servers to reap better rewards.

They need to actively fix the imbalance in overall population to avoid one or two servers having 15 people online across all maps during prime time whilst other servers have several hundred active.

We don’t have nearly enough active players to justify keeping all of the servers we have right now.

in WvW

Posted by: Asia.9063

Asia.9063

My guild is another guild that is considering a move, but is this a temporary fix? Anvil Rock was a mid tear server not that long ago… A couple of the larger guilds leave and boom its dead.

Each time guilds are forced to consider this question of moving vs staying they risk the loss of people in there guild that don’t want to move. It puts stress on relationships that are forced to make this decision, loyalties are challenged and of course game play for months on end are horrible because those servers die due to loss of a large amount of there community walking away.

In the meantime we get word that its going to be fixed but no one is communicating how even many months later. Even if your not done yet Anet the community needs feedback. My guild has a time line, we don’t want to move from our server but coming this week this is a question being posed.

Can you please speak up and let us know how your going to fix this? In the meantime if you are not willing or able to do this, people playing the game should not be held hostage on dead servers or forced to pay for transfers where they can actually play this aspect of the game. Changing statistics around to where now a server is “classified” as a medium server and there is a price to pay to be able to play the content you enjoy is not right. The community needs answers.

in WvW

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Server merge will not help unless it balances time zone coverage. Otherwise, you will just get queues in the most populated times zones and nothing will change.

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

They have been testing the alliance merger system for quite some time.. that is what they do in EoTM.. Take away any need for server/ team identity, strategy, cooperation and coordination and welcome to new WvW. Who cares if a team works together right? Isn’t that challenging, strategic, and thoughtful PvP action?

Sure some people are entertained running around K training like mindless kittens, but others actually want to play a game when they play it…

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Dusty Moon.4382

They have been testing the alliance merger system for quite some time.. that is what they do in EoTM.. Take away any need for server/ team identity, strategy, cooperation and coordination and welcome to new WvW. Who cares if a team works together right? Isn’t that challenging, strategic, and thoughtful PvP action?

Sure some people are entertained running around K training like mindless kittens, but others actually want to play a game when they play it…

Agree

EotM is so broken, period. The alliance system there does not work at all – it is a joke of a system. I should call it the margarine of alliance systems

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Agree

EotM is so broken, period. The alliance system there does not work at all – it is a joke of a system. I should call it the margarine of alliance systems

What do you mean not working? I dont think Anet has ever stated the goal of the system.

If the metric for it working is “does it contain alot of PvE that everyone is really into?” then its clearly working beautifully.

in WvW

psizone.8437

Agree

What do you mean not working? I dont think Anet has ever stated the goal of the system.

If the metric for it working is “does it contain alot of PvE that everyone is really into?” then its clearly working beautifully.

They did, it was intended as a place people could go if their WvW maps had queues.
I guess technically people DID use it whilst queueing originally but shortly after and even now, it’s just used instead of WvW, it effectively split the WvW playerbase.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Agree

They did, it was intended as a place people could go if their WvW maps had queues.
I guess technically people DID use it whilst queueing originally but shortly after and even now, it’s just used instead of WvW, it effectively split the WvW playerbase.

Actually it was intended as the testing grounds for what they planned on implementing in WvW. Them forcing people into it via ques was just to get people on the maps to test for them.

Edge of the Mists serves as a testing ground for the new features that may be introduced to WvW

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Edge_of_the_Mists

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

The only server merger that will work is merging the US servers into the EU ones. As long as they stupidly stick to 2 regions no amount of merging or fake alliances will do anything about population imbalance. Only then can a true 24/7 system emerge, furthermore people that like zerging and those that like smaller communities can still coexist in this system.

This of course will take time and cost lots of money and thus will never be done.

in WvW

psizone.8437

Agree

Actually it was intended as the testing grounds for what they planned on implementing in WvW. Them forcing people into it via ques was just to get people on the maps to test for them.

Edge of the Mists serves as a testing ground for the new features that may be introduced to WvW

Same link: " Its purpose is to act as an extra map for players who wish to play the World versus World format and continue earning rewards even when the official maps are full" Same quote is on its official release page. The testing is secondary and wasn’t used.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Agree

Same link: " Its purpose is to act as an extra map for players who wish to play the World versus World format and continue earning rewards even when the official maps are full" Same quote is on its official release page. The testing is secondary and wasn’t used.

Yes, it was used, that is why it was made. The overflow issue was just to get people to test it. The only reason players are not realizing that every mechanic implemented in the DBL’s was tested in EoTM is due to them not understanding how the mechanics work behind the scenes. The EoTM testing is WHY we have the DBL’s the way they are.
Not only was it used, it is STILL being used as the testing ground for what they plan on implementing in WvW.

The overflow was secondary.. Still is. They created it as a test map and are still using it as such.

The server alliance merger system has been tested quite a while there, and they have made many changes to it along the way.

Telling players " it’s purpose is to go here while you are waiting for queue to pop to test for us" is just their way of telling people to please use this because we need guinea pigs..

WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in WvW

psizone.8437

Yes, it was used, that is why it was made. The overflow issue was just to get people to test it. The only reason players are not realizing that every mechanic implemented in the DBL’s was tested in EoTM is due to them not understanding how them mechanics work behind the scenes. The EoTM testing is WHY we have the DBL’s the way they are.
Not only was it used, it is STILL being used as the testing ground for what they plan on implementing in WvW.

The overflow was secondary.. Still is. They created it as a test map and are still using it as such.

So you’re saying Anet created queues on the WvW maps to trick players into playing on the new EoTM map?

That doesn’t make any sense.

EoTM has had no significant changes to it since its release so any testing and changes they’ve made have been behind the scenes.

They said it was to help players get into WvW whilst queues were bad and that they’d be testing new features (to which as far as I’m aware, none were noticeable since release) so any other theories on why they released it are just speculation – lets not get all conspiracy theorist on this.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Yes, it was used, that is why it was made. The overflow issue was just to get people to test it. The only reason players are not realizing that every mechanic implemented in the DBL’s was tested in EoTM is due to them not understanding how them mechanics work behind the scenes. The EoTM testing is WHY we have the DBL’s the way they are.

So you’re saying Anet created queues on the WvW maps to trick players into playing on the new EoTM map?

That doesn’t make any sense.

EoTM has had no significant changes to it since its release so any testing and changes they’ve made have been behind the scenes.

They said it was to help players get into WvW whilst queues were bad and that they’d be testing new features (to which as far as I’m aware, none were noticeable since release) so any other theories on why they released it are just speculation – lets not get all conspiracy theorist on this.

No silly :P
The Queues existing and the testing map existing were not in relation to each other and as a way to help them with their testing and give players something to do while waiting they put the maps they ALREADY made for testing into the active game. They were just there like many other areas of the game that are still there that you cannot see in game, they just turned them active to test and let players test it for them while waiting.

No theories needed. It is what they did..
I added this above:

Telling players " it’s purpose is to go here while you are waiting for queue to pop to test for us" is just their way of telling people to please use this because we need guinea pigs..

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Dusty Moon.4382

The only server merger that will work is merging the US servers into the EU ones. As long as they stupidly stick to 2 regions no amount of merging or fake alliances will do anything about population imbalance. Only then can a true 24/7 system emerge, furthermore people that like zerging and those that like smaller communities can still coexist in this system.

This of course will take time and cost lots of money and thus will never be done.

In T1 and T2, there are plenty of EU guilds/players already there. Even in T2, there are already queues on EBG and certain BLs and merging would just exacerbate the problem not fix it. So, no a server merge would fix nothing.

As far as EotM being a try out for WvW ideas, no it does not work. Maybe if you like PPT, but most want open field fights not SW (Siege Wars) which is what GW2 WvW is called now by many.

in WvW

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

server merges were needed a long time ago. this game has too many servers and too few players. it’s been a problem that has only been exacerbated over time, and the huge new BLs have made it so much more apparent.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

(edited by choovanski.5462)

in WvW

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

In T1 and T2, there are plenty of EU guilds/players already there. Even in T2, there are already queues on EBG and certain BLs and merging would just exacerbate the problem not fix it. So, no a server merge would fix nothing.

As far as EotM being a try out for WvW ideas, no it does not work. Maybe if you like PPT, but most want open field fights not SW (Siege Wars) which is what GW2 WvW is called now by many.

Right US T1 and T2 are fine so let’s do nothing.

The only way to fix WvW is to start with a blank slate and a real 24/7 system. whatever measures are taken communities will have to be broken up in one way or another.

Also no most people do infact not want open field fights. Most people want to waltz over enemies by superior numbers, which is not the same. Need evidence the 2 stronger servers pretty much always pick on the weakest one.

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

server merges were needed a long time ago. this game has too many servers and too few players. it’s been a problem that has only been exacerbated over time, and the huge new BLs have made it so much more apparent.

Even EB is dead now, not just the BL… I sat in this keep for nearly an hour before I logged off. Can’t even do dailies lol

Attachments:

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

In October GW2 doubled their monthly concurrent users to 3,100,000 players because of “play for free”.

The problem is not population to draw from, wvw is just boring as heck, mostly beating up doors, slow paced style gameplay where you are just running around 90% of the time and has awfully unrewarding rewards. Professions aren’t good either so that’s another reason why anything wvw and spvp related will never be anything but a subpar experience.

The devs want to increase overall population numbers so server merges are not going to happen. What needs to happen is this wvw overhaul, that’s the only thing that will make any difference.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in WvW

Dusty Moon.4382

In October GW2 doubled their monthly concurrent users to 3,100,000 players because of “play for free”.

The problem is not population to draw from, wvw is just boring as heck, mostly beating up doors, slow paced style gameplay where you are just running around 90% of the time and has awfully unrewarding rewards. Professions aren’t good either so that’s another reason why anything wvw and spvp related will never be anything but a subpar experience.

The devs want to increase overall population numbers so server merges are not going to happen. What needs to happen is this wvw overhaul, that’s the only thing that will make any difference.

This post makes total sense and the bolded is the biggest thing. We need this update sooner than later. If we keep waiting, the numbers will diminish to only cheats and glitchers in WvW.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

LMAO .. you know what is REALLY funny about this? MANY WvW players made F2P accounts on all severs so they would be able to play any server when they wanted due to being tired of paying for transfers and just buff those accounts over time..
Some people made accounts for every NA and EU server… it isn’t like those are actual new players…

Most had already had a few other servers when they offered the $10 accounts, then just made them for all when they went F2P, and have them parked there for when they will get to them. That just reserves them a spot.

WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

LMAO .. you know what is REALLY funny about this? MANY WvW players made F2P accounts on all severs so they would be able to play any server when they wanted due to being tired of paying for transfers and just buff those accounts over time..
Some people made accounts for every NA and EU server… it isn’t like those are actual new players…

Most had already had a few other servers when they offered the $10 accounts, then just made them for all when they went F2P, and have them parked there for when they will get to them. That just reserves them a spot.

Sure, there are multiple accounts out of that added 1.8 million (iirc), but the amount of peeps who may have done that is negligible.

Ultimately the wvw experience is completely subpar and lacks any sort of mass appeal to pvp minded players. Also, obviously not good enough to draw in newer players to this game.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

though its hard for me to accept this…
but i shall agree to this idea.
cut the servers in half fill the merged servers to each other based on their timeline activity to be fair to each other

well if they do that of course it would mean that WvW really is crumbling apart and everybody will see it in their own eyes, a nail on the coffin
if they dont do something then it will continue to crumble and fall faster and faster just like the pull from the gravity

a choice from being transparent or being resilient

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

EOTM was born out of T1 queue whining, so were the raised map caps (to accomodate bigger blobs) and the larger BLs.

WvW itself is a mix of playstyles which needs to be preserved, if you go to the extremes, you end up with what we have now which is EOTM, desert BL, + you’ll have dedicated maps which will be nothing more then just large guild arenas. All of which will just thin out and dilute the remaining playerbase and by their nature, exclude any WVW players who do not like to be stuck doing the same thing over and over again but who like the variety which WVW provides.

I do not think the devs can overhaul anything while preserving this variety and we will just end up with what I mentioned above.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: jamesdolla.3954

jamesdolla.3954

isn’t that naturally happening with people transferring up tiers? the whole system is broken. the game is not about skill it’s more about numbers. blob wars 2 not guild wars 2.

Native Maguuman

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

let just say that anet does not have foresight
they do not understand that all games will decline eventually and didn’t make the necessary plan to do something about large scale game mode when that happen.

i hav a rumour that the overhaul will come in 5mths but since is anet, adding another 3 mths will be safer.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Naurgalen.2374

Naurgalen.2374

Sure, there are multiple accounts out of that added 1.8 million (iirc), but the amount of peeps who may have done that is negligible.

Ultimately the wvw experience is completely subpar and lacks any sort of mass appeal to pvp minded players. Also, obviously not good enough to draw in newer players to this game.

That happens when your game mode:

- Needs equipped characters (armor, weapon, runes, consumables) to not be one-shoted but is the worst game mode to find them
- Gold has the same problem, with captains loosing money by siege deploying
- Has a really limited progression/reward system (personal ranks are not easily seen to show off, Guild commitment to the mode is not rewarded -rankings maybe?- and no seasons to put some emotion and rewards into the mode)
- Is not really intuitive, specially the new maps (why you cant glide when the maps have soooo much verticallity to use? why some castle interiors are not detailed in the map?)
- Has HEAVY population problems in low servers, like sometimes there is not even 5 people in a map (and maybe your enemy’s have 50)

But IMHO those are not core problems, game-mode problems.

I had really awesome fights both defending and making sieges, roaming, taking camps and sometimes even defending dolyaks has been fun too. I don’t think that the core-game is flawed, its just that u need to swim through a lot of crap to get it. And most people just wont.

in WvW

Posted by: Magnuzone.8395

Magnuzone.8395

Don’t worry. They will make mega servers in wvw too and make it one big EotM anyway. No matter what we want.

They don’t see that they caused any problems or did anything wrong. They will look at the current situation and make changes based on that. So their solution is quite easy to figure out.

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Don’t worry. They will make mega servers in wvw too and make it one big EotM anyway. No matter what we want.

They don’t see that they caused any problems or did anything wrong. They will look at the current situation and make changes based on that. So their solution is quite easy to figure out.

I bet this will come – but honestly; it would be cheaper to just close wvw.