Is seasons a bad idea atm?

in WvW

Posted by: Shero.3106

Shero.3106

Dont get me wrong, i’m excited for seasons and would love to see them come but I mean look at it. SoR will drop to bronze division (will more than likely if current path keeps up) and dragonbrand will get to gold division without fighting a ‘gold ranked’ server first? It seems like things will be out of balance for a few servers that are effected.

[Agg] – DB – Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The short answer is yes, not a good moment because of how unbalanced the matchups are. But Anet seems to think the achievements will be enough to bring players back in WvW.

Personally I will very rarely play in it unless they fix the server population and PPT issues discussed on this forum.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Yes and no, its a good thing because it really does pull PvE population into WvW which on the lower tiers is a good thing because the matchup become more competative and closer to balanced. No because those players often either complete the achieves and dissapear, or they stick around for the season and once it ends they vanish leaving some servers to free fall in rank again which in turn demoralizes the WvW population. Also you have the Guilds that join X server for the season and then they leave once its done, there is no retention for the fair weather players.

Its fun while it lasts (talking lower tiers) but the numbers we have during seasons are nothing more then an illusion of what could be come the end of the season.

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

All i want to know is there going to be a set up like last year where gold will only play with other gold 1-6 will sliver only play other sliver 6-12 (i think) or will sliver that dose well get to play gold and gold that dose badly get to play sliver? Or is there no system like this this time? That the only thing that bugs me about seasons if they lock worlds like that because you get mass transfers from the GvG players because of that.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: KarlusDavius.1024

KarlusDavius.1024

Does hacking still exist?

Then seasons are always a bad idea as they will never be fair.

Cmdr. Kiro Heimdahl
Warrior
Far Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

So all online games even some offline games are a bad ideal then? Because there haxing in them and they will never be fair because of that.

Your right though nothing will ever be fair so why play any thing with any type of real competition other then the fact that its fun.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Servers have been tanking in anticipation of the announcement of leagues. It’s ridiculous – servers are competing to tank the most.

The sooner the tournament is over, the better.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: ManaCraft.5630

ManaCraft.5630

It’s the wrong focus for the format. I’d rather see a.net working on some of the fundamental problems about WvW, such as the coverage issue or the lack of new content. At least we’re supposedly getting some new WvW-specific items in connection with Season II, so that’s something, but not enough to really impress me.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

It’s the wrong focus for the format. I’d rather see a.net working on some of the fundamental problems about WvW, such as the coverage issue or the lack of new content. At least we’re supposedly getting some new WvW-specific items in connection with Season II, so that’s something, but not enough to really impress me.

That’s the point. Seasons gives the illusion of content but yet can be implemented with near zero effort. Addressing fundamental issues would require effort on Anet’s part.

It’s a very short-term way of working and will kill WvW in the long run, but it doesn’t appear as if Anet cares all that much.

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

ATM? Were they ever a good idea?

The first season wrecked this game mode and the 2nd season may just finish it off.

in WvW

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

The short answer is yes,.

Ah yup. They haven’t fixed any of the problems with WvW. Do that first, then try to have a season.

in WvW

Posted by: Radian.2478

Radian.2478

I didn’t like season 1 and played very little of it. In fact, I haven’t like the seasons yet but I think that for different times they could have done the season, this one is ok. My reason being is that EoTM came out not too long ago and has caused a decline in WvW population so this could be one thing to put more focus back onto WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

The seasons/tournaments just create instability across the board. Too many people being temporarily lured into wvw for rewards/achievement points, and too much moving around between servers. There needs to be time to balance populations and design a tournament that won’t encourage bandwagoning.

For every server players stack because it’s likely to do well in the tournament, even more servers suffer losses of players or entire guilds. Servers are then locked into a league they are either too strong or too weak to compete in. After the tournament, we’re left with servers rising and falling through the tiers, creating even more unbalanced matchups.

If we want any sort of stability in wvw, what is needed are reward systems that do not encourage changing servers. Rewards that you can’t just get by moving to a server that will do well in their league. Server placement based rewards, and sales designed to encourage transfers do the opposite.

The new server transfer pricing setup looks like it might help balance populations, but not in a tournament where moving to a lower-placing server within a league means getting lesser rewards. And this pre-tournament sale is just encouraging the bandwagoning of bronze league servers, with the cheap ticket into the top end or possibility to freely stack a bottom tier server. One good decision is being totally countered with two very bad ones.

What should have happened was changing the transfer prices a month ago, throwing out this transfer sale, and reworking the rewards to be based on personal achievement instead of server placement. But creating a system like that doesn’t encourage people to pay Anet cash to move server.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Of course it’s good idea. We get more bags in EotM because karma trains will be even bigger and dumber.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Of course it’s good idea. We get more bags in EotM because karma trains will be even bigger and dumber.

Wait, you’ve seen people fight in eotm? I prefer just karma training on my hammer warrior. NPCs all day!

in WvW

mrstealth.6701

So all online games even some offline games are a bad ideal then? Because there haxing in them and they will never be fair because of that.

Your right though nothing will ever be fair so why play any thing with any type of real competition other then the fact that its fun.

There is certainly a lot of room for improvement in their efficiency at removing those using hacks/exploits. The same goes for fixing terrain/structure glitches or exploits that have been known and reported for months. Fixing these problems should be a higher priority than releasing a competitive tournament that will only lead to more abuse.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Wait, you’ve seen people fight in eotm? I prefer just karma training on my hammer warrior. NPCs all day!

It think that characters who are in big blob and stand in my meteor shower are players and those aetherblades who dodge are npc.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: EFWinters.5421

EFWinters.5421

Supposedly they are making the Meta Achievement a lot easier this time around so PvE players won’t have to work for their rewards. You might see a surge in players for the first 1-2 weeks but probably not after that.

Human Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: eremos.8142

eremos.8142

There’s never going to be a good time. There’s always going to be a few servers moving up/down for whatever reason. But I think the solution to that is to have more frequent tournaments, not wait for better times.

If there’s a tournament every quarter, it becomes the new normal. People will stop bothering to stack/tank and just play. Those that are just in it for the achievements will get bored after the first tournament and leave it to the people that actually enjoy WvW. Everyone will stop worrying about tickets because even if your server does poorly, you’ll get what you want eventually.

Xander Moss
Gandara

(edited by eremos.8142)

in WvW

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

Servers have been tanking in anticipation of the announcement of leagues.

That plan backfired on SoR.

Certain guilds weren’t competing so others decided that wasn’t good enough, and left. Interestingly those guilds that were tanking have also left so that they can remain competitive…

in WvW

Posted by: Jeff.5139

Jeff.5139

Not that simple with SoR Im afraid. The break was fundamental in that the guilds that wanted to win were worn down by lack of coverage, the guilds that wanted more fights did not get the quality of fights they wanted, and some guilds simply wanted to stay in T1 while some wanted to go down to T2. In the end each guild went their own way in order to survive which is whichever way the majority of their memberships wanted.

Seasons is very very bad for any server such as SoR which needs to step back and rebuild but cant due to being stuck in the wrong tier for rebuilding.

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

having season matches is good , but the way it is implemented is not …

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

Wvw is odd, as u can almost entirely predict beforehand who is going to do well, based on the current wvw rankings, factoring in recent trends, like SOR falling. And the transferring it causes is an issue.

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

TESO….

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

mrstealth.6701

TESO….

D3:RoS as well, but ESO will be the one that retains more players over time. D3 has improved a lot, but it’s still not an MMO. ESO might also be tempting for wvw players, since it’s faction-based alliance war should offer a better balance than wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

I mostly just play EotM these days, more balanced matchups and if its not balanced, then its just 3 hours.

The bad thing is the whole “lets give the winning server way more reward”.