Is this an exploit/cheesy tactic/ unfair? You decide!

in WvW

Posted by: Saga.1652

Saga.1652

So tell me, what do you think about the following:

1. Using the invisibility consumables endlessly.
2. Using the portal gun to go inside keeps.
3. Using a catapult behind a keep door to knock back the attackers and destroy rams easily.
4. Using retaliation Guardians to easily destroy arrow carts from a distance.
5. Cross-server and try to confuse the PUGs on the other servers through map chat chat.

I bet there are more out there, so share yours!

(edited by Saga.1652)

in WvW

Posted by: Mahrroh.5183

Mahrroh.5183

Hrm…
1.I guess, but given how many mats that would take to endlessly keep up, seems more like a waste for who ever is doing it(at least to me)
2.Had no clue about that. Can’t really comment.
3.It sucks, but there are other abilities that I recall can do similar things. It’s splash damage unfortunately, and its up to anet to fix it.
4.Erm…I don’t recall this happening that much, but if so…is it no different than popping a feedback bubble around an arrow cart?
5.You can’t talk to other servers via /s /m or /t in wv3.

in WvW

Posted by: mcl.9240

mcl.9240

half the time, what people are attributing to the use of invisibility consumables is more likely the server-side “optimization” they introduced on or around 9/1, that causes players not to be seen until they’re very close to you, particularly when there are a large number of players in the area.

This effect is present in PvE also, and I can guarantee you the mobs aren’t using invisibility consumables. Particularly not the centaurs.

See https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/BUG-Mobs-and-players-suddenly-appearing-pop-in for more details.

(edited by mcl.9240)

in WvW

Posted by: Grace.6074

Grace.6074

Hrm…

He’s talking about using the free server transfers to go to a server your’re competing against, enter their WvW and confuse them in map chat.

Aerre – Sylvari Elementalist
Necro/Warrior/Ranger/Mesmer/Guardian
HoD – PHZE

in WvW

Posted by: ecwoodrow.7034

ecwoodrow.7034

1. Haven’t used these yet, so I cant say.
2. Didn’t even know there’s a portal gun.
3. I suppose you could try to use a treb to counter this, or just use the treb to destroy the door. So I won’t call it an exploit.
4. Exploit that needs to be fixed asap.
5. Cheesy, but not an exploit. Besides, it’ll be fixed once free server transfers are over.

Atsug Em – [RvR] – lvl 80 Engineer – IoJ
Tryggon Gathol – [RvR] – lvl 80 Warrior – IoJ
Sechnal – [RvR] – lvl 80 Ranger – IoJ

in WvW

Posted by: Fraya.6584

Fraya.6584

3. Using a catapult behind a keep door to knock back the attackers and destroy rams easily.

I have a problem with this one. There are places you can put Catapults, Arrow Carts, etc, that are absolutely 100% uncounterable. As people gradually figure this out, all gates will gradually become completely impenetrable, and the only way into a base will be through Catapult/Trebuchet breaches on walls.

I would argue that WvW would be better if the gates could not be penetrated with AoE. It would make repairing the gate much easier, and it would make burning the gate less gimmicky. It’d enhance the aspect of having supply inside a tower/keep, and turn supply starvation into a more important role. It will keep the match a lot more fluid and reactive. Besides, it doesn’t make any sense. What kind of arrow can penetrate a 3 foot thick reinforced gate?

in WvW

Posted by: Setch.2398

Setch.2398

What is the invisible consumable? I cannot find reference to it anywhere.

SOR – [Boss]

in WvW

Posted by: Suddle D.9412

Suddle D.9412

I have decided, and the answer is………No.

PS can ANYONE post a pic or Wiki description of this “portal gun” I have never seen one ever in this game, yet people keep QQing about it. If you mean a Mesmer portal, then that is definitely not a gun and is placed where you are already standing….

(edited by Suddle D.9412)

in WvW

Posted by: Mahrroh.5183

Mahrroh.5183

Hrm…

He’s talking about using the free server transfers to go to a server your’re competing against, enter their WvW and confuse them in map chat.

Well…I’d call that more cheesey than anything. Seems like an awful waste of time to transfer OFF your server, to another for the possibility of harassing players, all the while not being able to really directly contribute to any sort of effort by your home server.

in WvW

Posted by: kaesebrezen.3104

kaesebrezen.3104

1. No.

2. Yes – The walls and gates are there for a reason.
3. Yes – If you are shooting the gate with a catapult – even if it’s yours – the first thing that should be damage is the gate, not something behind it. That much of RL physics should at least be used here.

4. No
5. No

in WvW

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

I have a problem with this one. There are places you can put Catapults, Arrow Carts, etc, that are absolutely 100% uncounterable. As people gradually figure this out, all gates will gradually become completely impenetrable, and the only way into a base will be through Catapult/Trebuchet breaches on walls.

I would argue that WvW would be better if the gates could not be penetrated with AoE. It would make repairing the gate much easier, and it would make burning the gate less gimmicky. It’d enhance the aspect of having supply inside a tower/keep, and turn supply starvation into a more important role. It will keep the match a lot more fluid and reactive. Besides, it doesn’t make any sense. What kind of arrow can penetrate a 3 foot thick reinforced gate?

no different from attackers aoeing the door to stop defenders repairing it, it works both ways.

in WvW

Posted by: Helathir.3647

Helathir.3647

So tell me, what do you think about the following:
5. Cross-server and try to confuse the PUGs on the other servers through map chat chat.
I bet there are more out there, so share yours!

1. could use a look but working as intended(unless someone official says otherwise?(then FIX))
2. read 1. (btw thiefs and elementalists can do this then use a 60copper item to tele their entire team in)
3. read 1.
4. getting fixed
5. spying is working as intended as far as i can tell but if it makes queues(mass multies) then arena net really needs to adress the issue

in WvW

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

1. Using the invisibility consumables endlessly. – Sounds like a plan.
2. Using the portal gun to go inside keeps. – What?
3. Using a catapult behind a keep door to knock back the attackers and destroy rams easily. – Everything can be used like this arrow carts, ballistas, aoe knockbacks. I’ve actually asked my server if anyones tried placing a ram near a door to hit the flame button when being attacked however an arrow cart/ballista works wonders im sure the cata does too. I wonder if the ram behind the door could knockback although I doubt it since it has to hit the gate it could do the fire thing and hit them aoe. I’d say use some other kind of siege for the gate at this point. My team was trolling one day setting up trebs at the doors, however I could see a cata working fine. Catas have to be set back quite a bit so I could see a treb from outside being able to throw a rock and hit them.

5. If I want to switch servers, I will switch servers. WvW is a casual format and shouldn’t be taken as seriously as some of these people will take it just to see what the enemy is doing.They just need to try a little bit harder imo. I’ve actually thought about moving to a low population or the luxon server. However I didn’t see a low pop server on the list just medium.

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.

(edited by R E F L H E X.8413)

in WvW

Posted by: Juris Doctor.9842

Juris Doctor.9842

I’ll assume that you’re talking about the mesmer utility that was recently used to portal a group into Stonemist without destroying a single wall or gate.

What happened was that after Stonemist flipped, the winning team failed to clear it out. A mesmer from the losing team was able to hide out and wait until his server had regrouped outside. The mesmer then set up an exit portal inside Stonemist and then jumped outside and put the entrance down, allowing his server to ninja inside and retake the castle.

In my opinion, this is exactly how this skill is supposed to be used and if your team allows it to happen by not clearing out the castle then you deserve to have it taken from you.

Tarnished Coast [US] | Kerrick – Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

Only “exploit” issue I see on that list is AOE and abilities through the keep/tower doors which should be fixed. Was the same problem in DAoC for a good while.
Dunno why they haven’t fixed this already.

in WvW

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

3. – Is okay. They are defending. If it should start to be a problem too much and really possible to place the siege in a way it can’t be attacked from outside then they should fix it a bit. Maybe fixed locations for sieges in keeps.

4. Seems broken game mechanics to me. Sieges or people operating sieges should not be affected by that. But as long as it is ingame it should be allowed. Some people could be fighting against each other and someone could use that retaliation while others shoot with siege in a zerg of both teams fighting. What now? He surely did not want to use it against the siege but siege was affected? Can’t ban now. So better let it allowed until it is really fixed.

2. Is an exploit. At least 7-14 days ban. If more than 1 time permaban. And they should fix it. They made it that people still can stay in the keep after it gets captured and hide… just because the keep lord will be there and it probably will be hard for 1 person to kill him and/ or more than 1 person to hide and then group up and kill him.

Clearly it was not intended for mesmers to bypass walls with portals. If they wanted to bypass wall they would have given a thief such an ability since he is a thief… and thieves to stuff like that. They did not think it through. Otherwise they would maybe have made something like autoporting everyone of enemy teams out after keep getting captured.

Edit: And AOE through doors is a bit annoying too. You can get killed while repairing. This should not be possible. Should be very easy to repair – as long as you have the supplies… and if they just keep the siege up eventually they will break the doors.

Also the AOE from down to the defenders at the wall is annoying but not an exploit. Still something that could be changed a bit or allow some people to by a wall above their head or something for supplies that only can be deytroyed by siege from the attackers. Would be fun.

(edited by Luthan.5236)

in WvW

Posted by: Ravbek.7938

Ravbek.7938

Looks like your point 4 may have been fixed with todays patch notes.

•Retaliation: This boon no longer reflects damage received from siege weapons

Cybek – Gunnars Hold
Wipus Frequentus – www.wipus.net
Rock Paper Signet – www.rockpapershotgun.com

in WvW

Posted by: Stiggz.8421

Stiggz.8421

1. no
2. no
3. Super cheese. You shouldnt be able to shoot through your own gate without damaging it. Let them use the tactic, but make it damage the gate.
4. cheese
5. cheese

in WvW

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

1.) Valid tactic.
2.) Valid tactic.
3.) Valid tactic.
4.) Valid tactic.
5.) Valid tactic.

It’s war, not kindergarten-happy-happy-lala-land-lets-hold-hands-and-sing-Kumbaya.

I don’t understand all this constant whining about “unfair” tactics. Are you jealous that you didn’t come up with them or what’s your problem exactly?

Smart people would simply take note of these tactics (and not spread them to their enemies via the forums) and use them themselves when the need arises.

You guys should go play a serious PVP game once (like EVE Online). Then you’ll see what fighting dirty really means (and how effective it is).

You, sir, have a terrible attitude. I don’t know anyone who would get jealous that someone found an exploit lol. Once its found you can copy the exploit, no one cares who is attributed with the discovery of it. Clearly you are someone that has ticked off his fair share of people because of exploiting. I dare say you’ve probably been temp banned from other games for it, but that’s just speculation and I doubt you would admit it.

But who really cares, this is a F2P game. If it’s not intended it will be fixed.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in WvW

Posted by: Gavello.2813

Gavello.2813

1. Will be removed from WvW
2. Has been removed from WvW now
3. Let me know when aoe doesn’t go through doors so we can repair them, then we can talk, there’s also ways around this strategy.
4. Developers have confirmed this will be fixed so that siege is unaffected by retallation. EDIT- IT HAS BEEN FIXED!
5. This is the only one i’d say is fair game. Subterfuge is naturally part of any high level wpvp play.

So all in all, msot are getting fixed or already have been

~Ruin~Officer~

in WvW

Posted by: Saga.1652

Saga.1652

1. Will be removed from WvW
2. Has been removed from WvW now
3. Let me know when aoe doesn’t go through doors so we can repair them, then we can talk, there’s also ways around this strategy.
4. Developers have confirmed this will be fixed so that siege is unaffected by retallation. EDIT- IT HAS BEEN FIXED!
5. This is the only one i’d say is fair game. Subterfuge is naturally part of any high level wpvp play.

So all in all, msot are getting fixed or already have been

Yup, though at the time I posted this thread they weren’t. Seems Anet decided they were not intended.

in WvW

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

1. works both ways. An attack can shoot a catapult at a gate to prevent repair. Places can use knock backs and AoE through the gate as well. It’s more a splash AoE issue than anything else.

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Dear people that want your own cat/treb to damage your door

Please dont make any more suggestions like this. How do you stop a member of your own team that wants to grief and destroy your own teams doors then?

That suggestion is simply impossible without opening the doors to such issues. Please think of this before you make suggestions. Or would you like to deal with someone who transfers to your server, builds a catapult and attacks your own door endlessly, doing damage to it?

When you make a suggestion dont just write anything down, just because it might be ‘realistic’ realism has to be sacrificed for gameplay when appropriate, and you should check if your idea could hurt more than it help.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Chronologist.9782

Chronologist.9782

I didn’t know there was invisibility consumable, is that crafted?

in WvW

Posted by: Rshipley.8194

Rshipley.8194

nothing is fair in love an war

i7-980X 3.33GHZ Extreme, Nvidia GTX 680 1.5 G, 12 GB RAM, FPS 105

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

I don’t see why so many people think the catapult trick on the door is “super cheese”.

The bottom line is that rams are for quick attacks on undefended keeps.

Catapults and trebuchets are for siege attacks against defended keeps.

If the knock-back really bothers you, send in people who have Stability or use a Siege Golem.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Posted by: BloodyHoney.7068

BloodyHoney.7068

2 strikes me as genius.
Seriously, that’s super clever. The sort of thing that WvW should promote, clever use of skills and tactics, as opposed to just patching out everything that someone had to think up in exchange for all zerging all the time.

(edited by BloodyHoney.7068)

in WvW

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Please add this to the OP.

6. Ability to place trebuchet in the Citadel where enemies cannot reach so the trebuchet can attack Towers from afar without any fear of ganking.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in WvW

Posted by: Nismu.4019

Nismu.4019

2. seems bit too much power for one class to have. what other class can turn tides of battle with only using one skill?

i can see how this goes to that stonemist will be having dozen of afk mesmer alts hiding around in it in case it gets captured. with invisi consumables (though i too would like to know where tog et them. might give my necro chance to escape. )

in WvW

Posted by: bloodseal.3972

bloodseal.3972

1 cheap but valid
2 blatant unintended use and exploit
3 i can see it both ways don’t know what anet intended
4 valid ability and use but seeing as it vastly op im happy to hear it will be fixed
5 hopefully this fixes itself after transfers are no longer free but im sure with largely competitive server it will continue to happen on some degree

in WvW

Posted by: VaticanIscariot.1732

VaticanIscariot.1732

Yeah. I stopped buying arrow carts ever since arrow carts gets destroyed quite easily by reflect/retaliation.

Also, the catapult on the door… the attackers can use their own catapults to hit the door. lol.

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

What consumable is giving indefinite stealth? You should report those bugs instead of abusing them.

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Edit: Thief fall damage trait for stealth is granting indefinite stealth and preventing capture.

in WvW

Posted by: mrperea.9580

mrperea.9580

1. Sounds costly!
2. Havent heard of this, cant comment
3. This one I can comment on. The problem I see is it works both ways. A cata can attack through a door so attackers cant stand next to it, however the attackers can AOE the doe so its hard has hell to repair it. One other thing I noticed, is you can hundred blades a door and kill people on the other side.
4. This one is being fixed I heard,
5. Just get rid of free transfers and a add a week cool down to transfering, that’ll help fix this. Wont stop people from buying another account though.