Isolated Tiers

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: Macilien.3078

Macilien.3078

A big problem I see with the current matchmaking system is that once there is a gap of more than 120 points between two adjacent tiers, it completely prevents any exchange between these tiers. If this happens over several month you can’t tell which tier’s servers are actually better since this time might include a shift in population or balance patches.

A simple way to fix this is to move each server’s rating by a small percentage towards the average rating. This wouldn’t change the order of the servers, but would over time reduce gaps unless they are reinforced by a matchup.

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Well, if one looks at the NA T3 match last week, with SoS dropping to T3 and obliterating the other servers on that tier, that is what will happen. If you do as you suggest the lower tier servers would just give up and WvW will lose more players. It is not isolation, it is the T1 servers overstacking and trying to buy as many guilds as they can.

The only way A.Net can prevent this is by forcing guilds onto other tiers and servers and that will not happen.

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: displayname.8315

displayname.8315

. It is not isolation, it is the T1 servers overstacking and trying to buy as many guilds as they can.

It’s not overstacking, there is no way to get past FULL status anymore. Capacity servers is what makes WvW an active environment.

Now if SoS comes out of T3 and wins T2 the way DB did one would conclude that they earned their spot in the tier. Even second place would be a victory of sorts. And that should be what decides your placement.

JQ subsidiary

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Dusty Moon.4382

. It is not isolation, it is the T1 servers overstacking and trying to buy as many guilds as they can.

It’s not overstacking, there is no way to get past FULL status anymore. Capacity servers is what makes WvW an active environment.

Now if SoS comes out of T3 and wins T2 the way DB did one would conclude that they earned their spot in the tier. Even second place would be a victory of sorts. And that should be what decides your placement.

The guild I am in was offered lots of gold to come back to T1 (I mean lots). This is what is going on.

SoS has roamers and that is all they really have (for the majority of time) – they do have guilds that do PPT but only backcap and only on FABL and FA held towers/keeps. They never go against TC and it shows in their scores. Also, 2-3 commanders on SoS are actually alt accounts for commanders on TC. It is known they will be in comms with TC while driving for SoS.

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Macilien.3078

Well, if one looks at the NA T3 match last week, with SoS dropping to T3 and obliterating the other servers on that tier, that is what will happen. If you do as you suggest the lower tier servers would just give up and WvW will lose more players. It is not isolation, it is the T1 servers overstacking and trying to buy as many guilds as they can.

The only way A.Net can prevent this is by forcing guilds onto other tiers and servers and that will not happen.

Even if ANet solved the problem you see, how would you know it was solved if these servers are stuck in their tiers?

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

WvW is in a really bad state right now. Looking across the matchups, none of them are competitive, with at least a 30,000 point difference between 1st and 3rd in all matches.

My latest theory is that all the CC and AOE makes it impossible for smaller, outnumbered servers to be able to put up a fight to reclaim territory. You basically have to try and ninja to get PPT, because once you get into a fight its a simple numbers game; the outnumbered side gets immobilized and killed, and there is nothing they can do about it besides run from the fight.

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Its like herding cats to water you cant comply control the population or at what time that population wants to play. The just one of the trapping of 24hr pvp games like this also know as rvr. Most ppl suggestion are on the lines of cutting off the game type when “I” am not playing. There no real answer.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: Lawrencii.1356

Lawrencii.1356

The guild I am in was offered lots of gold to come back to T1 (I mean lots). This is what is going on.

SoS has roamers and that is all they really have (for the majority of time) – they do have guilds that do PPT but only backcap and only on FABL and FA held towers/keeps. They never go against TC and it shows in their scores. Also, 2-3 commanders on SoS are actually alt accounts for commanders on TC. It is known they will be in comms with TC while driving for SoS.

This site GW2WvW may be better place for your anti-SoS propaganda and PvF. Come join us!

Do not worry tho, glicko will soon work it’s magic and DB will close T2 with it’s YB alt accounts and everyone will forever be happy again.

Mother Earth tanks you all for the extra water production over PPT ;D

¬ I A Euphy ¬ SoS ¬

(edited by Lawrencii.1356)

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

displayname.8315

This site GW2WvW may be better place for your anti-SoS propaganda and PvF. Come join us!

Do not worry tho, glicko will soon work it’s magic and DB will close T2 with it’s YB alt accounts and everyone will forever be happy again.

I feel ya brother I joined SoS hoping to fill the ranks and have some T2 fun. Donated a few times to the community warchest, roamed, defended… After a month or two of no-fights PvD tho I took my leave.

Maybe your guild will get that sweet gold offer too.

JQ subsidiary

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Lolwat? FA & TC pushed SoS out of T2 deliberately and then let DB win the round.

Talk to us again about collusion between SoS & TC?

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: Lawrencii.1356

Lawrencii.1356

I feel ya brother I joined SoS hoping to fill the ranks and have some T2 fun. Donated a few times to the community warchest, roamed, defended… After a month or two of no-fights PvD tho I took my leave.

Sorry I think I’m close to a forum ban and so I deleted/edited the part of my post you where referring to. It was too match-up oriented stuff.

¬ I A Euphy ¬ SoS ¬

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Dusty Moon.4382

Lolwat? FA & TC pushed SoS out of T2 deliberately and then let DB win the round.

No – SoS did it to themselves. By solely focusing on FA and back capping TC, they basically show their true colours. SoS does have Alts on from TC and 3 of them are guild commanders on both TC and SoS. So, yes, there is collusion there.

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Lolwat? FA & TC pushed SoS out of T2

How? DB had only a 3% chance to roll T2 and they got the lucky roll.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Look, it’s basic WvW. If you are spending your time on my borderland and I am having trouble kicking you out, maybe because the third server is also on my borderland and you both have me hopping back and forth across the map in reaction mode, I’m going to go to your borderland and hit your garrison. You can either save your garrison or keep something on my borderland. Then everyone gets on forums and whines about getting focused and 2v1s. LOL. It isn’t something personal. That’s just the way WvW is played.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

(edited by Chaba.5410)

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Macilien.3078

I’m amazed that it took you just a few posts to get from a technical suggestion to server bashing. Next time how about you start your own thread if you have nothing to contribute.

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

displayname.8315

Sorry I think I’m close to a forum ban and so I deleted/edited the part of my post you where referring to. It was too match-up oriented stuff.

NP man hope your guild gets bought tho if their into that sort of thing. JQ still the only full server. That site btw is weird and the few people that post there don’t talk about matchups much. /shiver

JQ subsidiary

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: TorquedSoul.8097

TorquedSoul.8097

The problem is related the scoring mechanism used by Anet: I just wrote a big long post on it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Error-in-WvW-Glicko-Scoring/first#post5976718

The image at the bottom show how the sine function punishes servers trying to push up and allows weakers servers to keep pulling them down.

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Scoring and population isn’t going to matter when there’s only 1 playable map….

It’s like you have 80 people playing with a giant piece of dung and 20 people playing with smaller pieces of dung. Trying to change the way of how you judge how they play the pieces of dung or rebalancing the people so that each piece of dung has equal amounts of people doesn’t change the fact that in the end, people are still playing with with a piece of dung.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

displayname.8315

@ArchonWings

Do you get free xfer’s? You should be able to move servers like a dev, would be a nice benefit for your volunteering. The borderlands aren’t all that bad, just played a little differently. There is people playing them a lot of times in T1, but it is more roamer based for sure. Teams actually hop maps to defend “their” air or fire keeps.

The Old bl’s were a lot the same, empty until responded to, but responded to more often as well when hit.
——————————————————————————————
@TorquedSoul

Wow amazing post and great research. Ill be sure to add some feedback when I get thru it all. Maybe the dev’s will take notice if a conversation gets going.

JQ subsidiary

(edited by displayname.8315)

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Any time people claim the issue isn’t overstacking, I point to EU and not only the match variety there, but the tumble of the No.1 server the minute it went to full status and could no longer buy more guilds to feed the machine.

Can also point to Vizunah, that rose from 15th spot to No.1 and back down again.

You don’t get that in NA.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Macilien.3078

The problem is related the scoring mechanism used by Anet: I just wrote a big long post on it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Error-in-WvW-Glicko-Scoring/first#post5976718

The image at the bottom show how the sine function punishes servers trying to push up and allows weakers servers to keep pulling them down.

To compare any two servers, you want a line of recent matches that connects them. The current problem is that there is no such line for some servers and your suggestion won’t fix this. It may establish some new lines simply by making the ranking more volatile, but this will like result in bigger gaps between tiers in the future.

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

No – SoS did it to themselves. By solely focusing on FA and back capping TC, they basically show their true colours. SoS does have Alts on from TC and 3 of them are guild commanders on both TC and SoS. So, yes, there is collusion there.

You were saying?

Archeia.8905
SoS’s time in T2 is numbered. TC and FA both want SoS out of T2.
All I can say is keep up the good work and you’ll have a more permanent spot in T2 before you know it.
I thoroughly enjoyed having DB in T2, there were some quality fights early in the week, something SoS hasn’t given us in many, many months – You guys deserved to win last week!
Can’t wait til you’re back here in T2, Focus on the Glicko, it may take a fair bit of work but we will most certainly be seeing you again!

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Isolated Tiers

in WvW

Posted by: expandas.7051

expandas.7051

Constraints are freedom.