Its time to migrate to Discord

in WvW

Posted by: MadBomber.3719

MadBomber.3719

im having trouble understanding how people think discord’s UI is hard to use. the only problem ive had with discord is i kept getting kicked from a guild’s server during a raid, they probably had some kick timer for non-verified guests… not sure.

the only thing i like TS over discord rn is soundboards.

shit guardian on maguuma

(edited by MadBomber.3719)

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Discord over TS advantages:

• Has chat channels included (possible builds, videos etc), no need for server forums thro web browser.

TS does this

By chat channels i mean real forumlike channels like http://imgur.com/a/Co4us, not the teamspeak like with no chat history, that dont show for people outside channel.

• Voice quality is higher and delay is less, haven’t had “server crashes” or “robotvoices” due to too many online even once like in TS.

Many say the same about Discord. Argumentative.

Discord app as it was released didnt have better quality, but currently it uses single-peer connection thus it lags less for users and has way higher quality.

• Accessible with web browser and joining server is easier for first timers

Again, not really. Sure, you can use your web browser, but there are a lot of features that you can’t access through the web (like push to talk. Pretty essential for WvW players), you have to download the Discord client. Is it really that hard to download TS? Both takes like 5 minutes.

Its more about the ts app requiring you to press on top to connect then enter server adress and theres ton of fields like server passwords and identities and stuff. I remember first time I used teamspeak and i just closed it because I didnt manage to put the server adress at right place. Also I am not native english speaker. Discord app is simple, click + button and put the adress there. Also you dont have to bookmark it because it saves it automatically.

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

in WvW

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

Discord makes money by selling your user data and usage history – that alone gives me pause.

What usage history? Discord usage history?

So they sell this information →

“dzeRnumbrd logs onto Jade Quarry discord at 9pm to midnight every day and listens to the pugmander.”

?

in WvW

Posted by: synergy.5809

synergy.5809

i for one will not use discord for privacy reasons

I recommend that you remove your probably modern intel processor, and uninstall your copy of either windows or OSX. And you should probably unplug your router.

Oh, and never use your phone. In fact, you should probably avoid VOIP entirely, at least for another few years.

I recommend getting an old thinkpad, you know. One of the ones that has been fully reverse engineered. And running OpenBSD on it.

Oh, and by the way.

The TeamSpeak privacy policy isn’t the only privacy policy you agree to when using TeamSpeak.

The server host? You know, the third party server host?

The one that stores & transfers all your messages & VOIP communication?

Yeah. Every server you hop onto is a gamble as to whether or not they sell your information.

Have fun with that!

i already do most of the things you listed to some extent and i host my own TS server.

It’s also about the decentralizing of your data even if I host my TS on a vendors server or on digital ocean.

people like you is why net neutrality and privacy rights are being reamed in the ass

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

………………ingame VOIP?
PoF bonus

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: TheOneWhoSighs.7513

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

i already do most of the things you listed to some extent and i host my own TS server.

It’s also about the decentralizing of your data even if I host my TS on a vendors server or on digital ocean.

people like you is why net neutrality and privacy rights are being reamed in the kitten

That last sentence had me rolling in my chair.

Shooting sacred cows is not equivalent to “Oh my god, net neutrality is awful”. And people like you are why I’m such a condescending kitten, just in general. You can’t have a conversation about anything without having to find a way to attack the person. Even if that attack is more like a wet noodle slapping a brick wall.

Not that net neutrality even matters. Once you hit certain bandwidth thresholds, your ISP is free to throttle the hell out of you however they see fit. Not to mention the FCC is wholly incapable of enforcing the rules. What are they going to do, fine the 2 companies offering “high speed” internet in the country?

As for privacy rights, you never had any on the net. You’ve never been private, you’ll never be private.

And congratulations for being slightly above the rest of the rabble running on a VPS, that’s owned by a major server host, that’s recording all of the traffic because that’s what a good net admin does. And they totally won’t disclose that information to anyone that offers enough $$$.

“Unused Development Initiative. We care so much
about your feedback, that we don’t even read it.” ~ Crystal Suzuki

(edited by TheOneWhoSighs.7513)

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I personally just moved to discord about a weekish ago, and my guild has moved over with little to no issue. I do like the permission system. I find it better to ts myself, more customizability, i find it offers more in terms of bots, easier to use. Musicbot that my guild can manage with their own playlists using the 1 bot.

Reminds me of Apple vs Android….Apple (ts) is easier to look at and simpler to use however Android (discord) has more customization and more you can add to it and it still not much harder to use.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Why is everyone still using ts3? i mean i know it still works and its not terrible but honestly how long would it take for servers to take the free upgrade?

TANSTAAFL (There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch).

Discord is not free. You maybe do not pay with your money, but then you pay with other things (like your personal data).

Maybe Discord is the new kid on the block, but TS is not outdated and it is a feature rich, stable and well supported piece of software, so there is no general need to change from TS to another system if you already use TS and TS does what you want.

in WvW

Posted by: plushiesoda.8150

plushiesoda.8150

i for one will not use discord for privacy reasons

so you’re saying you prefer a program that

- OPENLY gives away your IP adress to whoever the admin/moderator of the channel is, even if that person is a 14 years old griever.

- OPENLY displays the country where you’re at. Which you cannot hide unless you use a VPN or the like.

- OPENLY displays your network, ISP speed, info, SO version and even hardware information (depending on addons) to whoever the admin has set rights to see it.

- That can OPENLY read the API of your gw2 account (depending on addons again)

“for privacy reasons” eh… ok