June 6 Patch: Server Links and Pops

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

The current server links are based on populations that will be rapidly outdated by tomorrow’s patch as everyone is anticipating a flood of players into WvW. The patch is going to bring longer queues, which we’ve already started seeing over the weekend. IMHO those queues will be exacerbated by server links because those links multiply the potential new population. This will be especially true for historically mid-tier servers where their populations were considered High-Very High under the old all-server population system.

High queues contribute to a negative WvW experience and I’m concerned that server links are not going to be adjusted fast enough to deal with the population expansion that tomorrow’s patch will bring.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

Aye…had an EBG queue for TC last night for as long as I was on, at least until 2am EST…kind of unusual for a work night, but then schools/colleges are winding up for the summer break.

in WvW

Posted by: Irbis.4932

Irbis.4932

We can expect endless queues for sure, even more with the server linking as more players from all linked servers will be joining. This will make it much more difficult to join WvW and easy to get locked out (e.g. after dc) both for the new people and those whole play the mode regularly (or even exclusively).

So I am curious if there is a plan to handle this in order to avoid discouraging new people from joining and veterans from staying. Both in terms of queues and population balance.

in WvW

Sylvyn.4750

Someone in another thread mentioned using WvW rank to order the map queues, where higher ranks get in faster, even if that means they are cutting in line…like a Disney Fast Pass.

in WvW

Posted by: Limodriver.4106

Limodriver.4106

no pips in EOTM makes it even worse just wait till 10 million posts about long queue and dc, they will have to make new eb instance or let ppl farm pip in eotm.

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Just going to have to ride it out.

I mean if this turns out to be such a success that even the linked worlds go back to healthy populations, maybe there’s a chance to take out links. But we won’t know for months as we give it time to shine and see who sticks around to continue with it.

They would still need weeks if not months of monitoring of populations to see if maybe links, map caps, or server population caps would need adjusting.

Thing that is going to suck about this is the rewards are not for eotm too, which means going there to wait out a queue is kinda pointless, and eotm regulars will be now be in wvw more often as well.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

The current server links are based on populations that will be rapidly outdated by tomorrow’s patch as everyone is anticipating a flood of players into WvW. The patch is going to bring longer queues, which we’ve already started seeing over the weekend. IMHO those queues will be exacerbated by server links because those links multiply the potential new population. This will be especially true for historically mid-tier servers where their populations were considered High-Very High under the old all-server population system.

High queues contribute to a negative WvW experience and I’m concerned that server links are not going to be adjusted fast enough to deal with the population expansion that tomorrow’s patch will bring.

5 full worlds now – the movement and people returning is real. A lot of new faces on YB/FC since the upcoming release was announced. We gave up trying to switch BLs for defense on Saturday 1/2 the squad would queue. Then some would queue trying to get back to where we were ….

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

half joking but yeah using your WvW rank to bump you up in the queue or using your average daily hours played in WvW over the last 4 weeks prior to patch announcement would be nice.

It will not happen though because it would be discriminatory.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in WvW

Chaba.5410

I mean if this turns out to be such a success that even the linked worlds go back to healthy populations, maybe there’s a chance to take out links. But we won’t know for months as we give it time to shine and see who sticks around to continue with it.

They would still need weeks if not months of monitoring of populations to see if maybe links, map caps, or server population caps would need adjusting.

Well, no. The point is the impact to the playing experience now, not months down the line. They don’t need weeks to months of monitoring population trends. Relinking servers is done to handle normal trends. Tomorrow’s patch is not a normal trend. It is an anticipated explosion.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

in WvW

Posted by: XTR.9604

XTR.9604

Endless queues, yay for being in touch with your players! We definitely want to sit and wait to play the game with our time lol. I miss when we were voting on changes to be brought to the game.

Asphyxia [XT] – Crystal Desert & Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at XtremeTheory.com

in WvW

Posted by: zectra.6978

zectra.6978

Queuing order based on rank? I hope not, I said before in another thread – most of my playtime in WvW was ages ago before the rank update, so I have like 192k kills and I am about rank 700.. How would that be close to fair?

[APS][NV]Vasnia, Commander
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

XenesisII.1540

Well, no. The point is the impact to the playing experience now, not months down the line. They don’t need weeks to months of monitoring population trends. Relinking servers is done to handle normal trends. Tomorrow’s patch is not a normal trend. It is an anticipated explosion.

And what would you like them to do? raise map caps the next day? which of course would cause more lag, unlink servers at the end of the week? offer free transfers to lower servers?

What if the population starts to die off again next week because the rewards aren’t quite as good as pve?

Yes they will need weeks to figure out what is the appropriate step to take next, just like how it takes weeks for them to collect data on server populations to do links.

There’s going to be growing pains with major changes like this, we had major queues to deal with when links first came in too, like I said we’re just going to have to ride it out.

North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.

in WvW

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Queuing order based on rank? I hope not, I said before in another thread – most of my playtime in WvW was ages ago before the rank update, so I have like 192k kills and I am about rank 700.. How would that be close to fair?

Don’t worry I’m pretty sure Anet would never take that approach, I would be very surprised if they did.

in WvW

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Just get in right now and never leave. I joke but that seems like the best course of action… Oh wait, we will probably get a new build.

Nevermind.

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

Every matchup has ample space at the moment. However, I’m glad I’ve personally wearied myself of EB recently. In addition to big queues for everyone, the map can’t handle the size of fights that are coming to it again.

I’m amazed EoTM isn’t giving pips… rip that place

in WvW

Chaba.5410

And what would you like them to do? raise map caps the next day? which of course would cause more lag, unlink servers at the end of the week? offer free transfers to lower servers?

What if the population starts to die off again next week because the rewards aren’t quite as good as pve?

Yes they will need weeks to figure out what is the appropriate step to take next, just like how it takes weeks for them to collect data on server populations to do links.

There’s going to be growing pains with major changes like this, we had major queues to deal with when links first came in too, like I said we’re just going to have to ride it out.

The expansion in population is a known upcoming event, not something that requires weeks of data collection. All I’m asking is for attention to it (see emboldened part in OP) because those queues have a negative impact on the WvW experience, which is detrimental to retaining that expanded population. And yes, if need be, Anet should consider readjusting server links sooner.

I feel like you’re just trying to construct some sort of argument for the sake of arguing with the “what ifs”. They don’t need weeks of data to know what the active playing population of a server is right now at this exact moment. You’re confusing the rolling average of population trends with live data. But let’s use your method. Tomorrow’s expansion is going to spike that rolling average upwards, making current server pairings quickly outdated. In fact, we’re already seeing that spike reflected in this morning’s population update. Full and Very High servers tend to be able to queue maps by themselves. Now multiply that with population returning to paired servers. It is shaping up to a negative experience which makes people leave and look, what do we want here, people not having a good time and leaving because of queues? No, they’re not going to understand “ride it out” either.

Chaba Tangnu

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

Easy solution: the guilds that are huge and move every thirty days… move.

Or, move to a lower pop server.

Or, ride it out.

People have complained that WvW was dead. Now they are going to complain it’s too full, because it’s not full of the people ‘like them’. (It’s those darned pve’ers)

Move to a high host server and ride it out. OR deal with the question.

in WvW

Strider Pj.2193

Chaba, please understand I am not referencing you in the last post. You are offering a clear and relatively easy solution that doesn’t take new builds/hardware etc.

The expansion in population is a known upcoming event, not something that requires weeks of data collection. All I’m asking is for attention to it (see emboldened part in OP) because those queues have a negative impact on the WvW experience, which is detrimental to retaining that expanded population. And yes, if need be, Anet should consider readjusting server links sooner.

I feel like you’re just trying to construct some sort of argument for the sake of arguing with the “what ifs”. They don’t need weeks of data to know what the active playing population of a server is right now at this exact moment. You’re confusing the rolling average of population trends with live data. But let’s use your method. Tomorrow’s expansion is going to spike that rolling average upwards, making current server pairings quickly outdated. In fact, we’re already seeing that spike reflected in this morning’s population update. Full and Very High servers tend to be able to queue maps by themselves. Now multiply that with population returning to paired servers. It is shaping up to a negative experience which makes people leave and look, what do we want here, people not having a good time and leaving because of queues? No, they’re not going to understand “ride it out” either.

in WvW

Strider Pj.2193

That was a quote fail. Chaba, I was noting I wasn’t referencing you, as you detailed out a fairly viable option. Others would rather complain about the que.

in WvW

XenesisII.1540

So you want them to relink this friday based on a couple days of queues, you just have to say that.

There might be a explosion of population tomorrow, but there are many factors which we do not know about that could potentially happen. How long before the shininess wears off and pve players go back to pve? how good are the rewards to keep them here over pve rewards other than the backpiece? How many players are really going to be on every single server? hell I expect maguuma will have chased their pve players off by next week, and I also expect BG will be loaded with pve players but they have no links so how’s this going to help them anyways? Do they need to relink or break links or free transfers or raise map caps? How many are on during weekdays compared to weekends? So yes weeks of data may be required to make the appropriate moves, unless you expect them to just relink every week.

When links first came in the same thing happened, queues on all maps for all servers, and then it tapered off, that’s why I said we’ll just have to ride it out.

I’m sure Anet will also be playing wvw and monitoring the population numbers after the patch, and make a move if they need to.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

There are quite a number of servers that already has a huge base population to begin with. Some of the these servers often do not has as much in WvW simply due to not having tags. Anet obviously trying to encourage people to tag up with bonus rewards. However, I am unsure just how much of a impact will this be, there certainly will be PvEers coming to WvW to farm for the legendary backpiece but the question is, what will it be like after that?

I do hope anet account for the overall population of the server while linking the servers. Afterall, it isn’t fun to fight blobs that happened because of some hype events, as a zerg.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i don’t expect the rush to WvW to last long. many PvE/PvP players already have the legendary backpiece. if it is about skin, not everyone fancy them, i don’t, and i believe many don’t too.

the changes tomorrow are to cater for the regular WvW players. the casuals will come to WvW once in a while, do the easy dailies and get off. it is not a tournament like we had anyway.

so, don’t worry so much about the queue. it will wear off pretty quickly.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Kelitzar.9580

Kelitzar.9580

That’s why you move to a server link that already is on a low population

Don’t want to play in queues? Get your guild to move servers

in WvW

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Someone in another thread mentioned using WvW rank to order the map queues, where higher ranks get in faster, even if that means they are cutting in line…like a Disney Fast Pass.

So that players that farmed ranks in EotM easy mode while playing PvE,can get in WvW faster.
Excellent suggestion.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

The first week might be hectic with 4 map queues but after that it will settle down.
It just gives incentive for people to join teamspeak because commanders will obviously mention it first in teamspeak which map they’re going to and people not in TS will be stuck in queue.

Just have fun, some of your old friends are coming back, chat to them while in queue and things like that. And dont forget that 1 map with big queue means that you can start 2nd zerg on another map

And being worried about having linking already, so sad :/

Only thing I am rather worried about is the commanders coming back/pve comms tagging up. I mean they have no idea about what WvW players want or current meta. Some of them might even be thieves and rangers, the horror, exspecially since most of them will break EB due to it being only map they can get people on their tags </3.

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

(edited by Threather.9354)

in WvW

Chaba.5410

One week later…

Attachments:

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

XTR.9604

Yep. My guild has not played GW2 since the patch. We log in, see every map is queued on CD, log off and go play Paladins. These links are a disaster after this patch.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

Yep. My guild has not played GW2 since the patch. We log in, see every map is queued on CD, log off and go play Paladins. These links are a disaster after this patch.

Yep, got a few friends/guild members not playing because of not wanting to bother with queues. Also like last night had a guild member get dumped out of WvW and sat for an hour in queue to get back in. Unfortunately by the time he got back in that was end of scheduled rally.

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

XTR.9604

Yep, got a few friends/guild members not playing because of not wanting to bother with queues. Also like last night had a guild member get dumped out of WvW and sat for an hour in queue to get back in. Unfortunately by the time he got back in that was end of scheduled rally.

We only have a couple hours to play from the time that I get home from work and have to go to bed for work the next day lol.. So sitting in queue for any time more than a couple minutes is long enough to make us go play a different game all together. Anet finally got those PvE players to go into WvW though, so mission accomplished I guess. Out with the old veterans who don’t want to wait to play, in with the PvE players who will PvE while waiting in queue for the #REWARDS. lol

in WvW

Sylvyn.4750

One week later…

I’m on GoM, which is listed as High, but we are linked with Kaineng (Med) and TC (Full)…our cup runneth over…

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

It prove that the algorithm is terrible in handling sudden spike. Like I have said many times, servers need to be deleted, remade and adapt a dynamic population system that use each other servers’ population as reference points.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com