Kinda lost, kinda rejected

in WvW

Posted by: flamedramonBarbaro.7893

flamedramonBarbaro.7893

So, i wanted to get out and see the world of wvw, i am kinda new to the game, started playing in december, and am 80 since a bit. Played a lot of spvp, a lot of pve, but wvw i checked only a few days, i asked in map chat wha should i do, they said “go pve.”

I was like “ooooookay” and i never returned wvw. But i really wanna try it, so can someone help me? Already read a lot of guides but it’s still confusing, i really dunno what to do when in wvw. Any tips?

in WvW

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

Find a zerg train and autoattack whatever enemies are in range. Most of the time you’re capturing undefended towers with rams.

Objectives have timers during which enemies can’t capture them. So it goes like this:
1. Your team captures camp and moves away
2. Enemies have to wait 5 minutes until they can capture it back
3. Enemies capture the camp back
4. Your team has to wait 5 minutes to capture the camp
5. Your team captures the camp

(edited by Zenith.6403)

in WvW

Posted by: denimdan.8642

denimdan.8642

if you really want to learn. then get into a map and find your zerg. then ask for your severs voice com info. I.E. team speak, vetrillo, mumble. 9/10 the ppl in your severs voice coms are much friendlier and willing to help than the people in map/team chat. Also try to get into a wvw guild, and they will help a lot as well. WvW can be a lot of fun, but you cant go at it alone, always ask questions ( real wvw ppl will love you for this) and just block the ppl that tell you to leave wvw and not to come back
happy hunting and the best of luck

Ranger
Storm Bluff Isle [EVOH]

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

join a wvw guild, they will help you unlike the jaded cynics saying go pve or presenting you with the intimate operations of a karma train circlejerk

some other stuff:
-get on voice comms and turn on every single chat channel and offer scouting info / be responsive to chats
-dont throw siege, let the commander (till you know what youre doing)
-if you have no siege mastery, let someone else use the siege
-use a build that has ~1800 toughness so you arent thief bait

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

Get to know your server, like teamspeak info, then check who is commanding and in what map.

Ask all your questions or just stick with the commander like you’re glued, you will learn pretty fast

Commander Nachonix

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

i know how lost u feel when u just started out in wvw.
some tips:

NEVER queue upgrades in a keep unless u know what u are doing
DONT take keep supply when supply is low or upgrades are going
test the siege out and fins out how it works
check out how people place siege and where
follow a commander areound
check out the current wvw builds
grab supply at a camp and try to always have some with u
dont stand in ac rain
find the nice people on your server and ask anything u need to know

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Adding to all the very good advice above:

Pay attention to teamspeak and map chat and you cannot go wrong.

All three borderland maps are identical in layout. Learn the maps.

Use your map if you get separated from the zerg in order to find the commander (tag). Join up if you feel you can get there solo (sometimes this is very easy). If there’s been a wipe, porting back to your base camp will often allow you to meet up with others so you don’t need to travel alone.

Do not hit keep / tower doors unless told to do so.

Stay out of map chat unless you have something to report that is important strategically.

Watch the other players near your commander to see what they are doing, take clues from them if you feel “lost”.

Get out of red circles.

All in all, if you are just aware and pay attention, follow a good commander, you should be fine (even without teamspeak).

TeamSpeak, a good guild and being friendly go a long way to making WvW fun!

Good luck!

And welcome to the “real” game.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Do whatever you like. Try everything. The people posting in this thread are trying to make you a solid contributor to WvW, a reliable zergling, and that’s respectable I suppose. Honestly it’s way too open a game mode to accept one way of playing.

If you really do have sound experience with PvE and PvP then you will know to be aware and pay attention. Learn what gets you killed and what doesn’t get you killed, what you find to be enjoyable, who you like playing with, and you’ll find a role.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in WvW

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I don’t think folks here are specifically trying to create a “reliable zergling”. I think most are responding to a new player to WvW who asked for help. Given the OP did not mention guild, friends, etcetera, it seemed he was going out to WvW solo and feeling “lost”. Grouping up with other folks, chatting, getting help is a normal method of advice whether it is WvW or PvE.

In this case, the advice was: get to know the ropes (basics), the general lay of the land, and a good foundational understanding of how WvW works overall. Starting out solo, the OP might be better off with other folks.

A lot of the advice above applies to whatever playstyle the OP may end up choosing.

Once he is comfortable and not feeling “lost”, yes have fun in the way that works best for him. If that’s solo roaming, or teaming up with a havoc team, or a 4-man swat team (my preferred playstyle), or finding a guild that does GvG…it’s all good.

A good server supports all of the above (fights/PPT/bags).

Good WvW players understand all playstyles contribute and they have fun playing however they want.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

in WvW

Posted by: Sogradde.8016

Sogradde.8016

So, i wanted to get out and see the world of wvw, i am kinda new to the game, started playing in december, and am 80 since a bit. Played a lot of spvp, a lot of pve, but wvw i checked only a few days, i asked in map chat wha should i do, they said “go pve.”

I was like “ooooookay” and i never returned wvw. But i really wanna try it, so can someone help me? Already read a lot of guides but it’s still confusing, i really dunno what to do when in wvw. Any tips?

What server are you on? You might wanna switch to one with a more friendly community.

Midnight Mayhem [MM]
Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Posted by: koopeh.9376

koopeh.9376

i know sos does wvw training every so often to help out new players. maybe your server does the same. ?

“Dudes with Beards with Cats” SOS

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

As others have said, get on voice comms. Not only your WvW experience will change, but even if you end up only doing occasional WvW, the entire game will change and your perspective on it. For example running TA Aether path or higher lvl fractals on voice is entirely different then text pugging.

Also as others have said, this is somewhat dependant on your server and timezone which you play on. Many server and guild communities are friendlier to new players then others.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

What server are you on? You might wanna switch to one with a more friendly community.

From the sounds of the commentary, he’s probably on Blackgate, the poor soul. I heard they’re run by people who want everything organized perfectly.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Chesire.9043

Chesire.9043

Might I also suggest searching for, downloading, and learning to use Wuverlay (think that’s right). It’s a screen overlay than works with the servers in WvW per matchup and displays the world you choose. It gives information about camps such as when they have been capped and when they are ready for capture. It isn’t a well of information but it helps to have the information it provides at an eyes glance.

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Number 1 tip is to find your server’s VOIP.

Since you have experience in sPvP, if you can’t use a VOIP, simply roaming around the maps killing/capping sentries and camps is also a very valid and extremely useful role in WvW

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

As other have said get on voice comms for your server, if they have one if not transfer to server that does, it will make the game far more enjoyable and you will meet nicer people.

If you going to wvw for the first time got to your home bl (borderlands) or even another bl stay away from Eternal battle grounds to begin as it attracts the not so nice people.

get some tanker gear soldiers/clerks until you get used to it. find out the common builds (ask in comms or map chat)

get used to dying

in WvW

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Don’t try cuddling with the legendary NPCs. Those guys are rude.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Lol, yeah, these guys sure lack a sense of humor

Kill enemy Dolyaks and protect your own, flip camps, scare of enemy players and help your people and friendly NPC’s. Notify your server about enemy blob movement, or stall them when they zerg your keeps. Join a zerg when one passes, watch what they do, help build siege and scare of enemy blobs.

Play around with siege equipment present in keeps, figure out how they work and why they might be build were they are.

Oh, and above all, have fun.

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

People feeling A sense of entitlement to say such stuff is sad to see towards new players among a video game community.

Its probably best to start off by following the commander tag first and listen to what they tell you unless the commander isn’t any good. Get on the public voice comms that they advertise (unless you’re on a server paranoid about spies) if possible as commanders often communicate a lot more through that than in-game.
The rest of the mechanics you will learn eventually, try watching what people do and maybe you’ll find someone or a guild friendly enough to help you. Just don’t do anything out of the ordinary like dropping random siege, or following untagged guild groups.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: adoslaw.7091

adoslaw.7091

It’s so obvious ppl here are from NA…
Don’t listen to them. Don’t become another mindless zergling.
Just get on a map and roam a bit, enjoy the fights you will get; by joining voip and following blue dorito you will end up running from objective to objective spamming #1 skill – how can you call that fun?
The main thing to understand is, that point per tick means nothing and don’t waste your time on that.

Aurora Glade Invader [UNTY]

in WvW

Posted by: haqqa.8194

haqqa.8194

I don’t know if you are asking about the basics/fundamentals of WvW, but if you start there, you will understand what’s going on much quicker. Like someone ‘kinda’ mentioned, what server you are on will be a factor in the long run, if it generally matches how you like to play or not. (whether they play mainly for points, aggressively ‘patriotic’, how well they respond to enemy attacks, etc, etc,etc and all that.)

Basically, learn the map layout and the purpose of capture points, and you’ll start to understand your teams objectives, where you’re needed, as well as enemy activity and movement. If there is a commander, you’re listening on voice comm, or reading chat reports you’ll know what’s going on better. As in, besides following possible orders, you’ll get a general idea of your team’s, or enemy’s, objectives.

In a nutshell, Capture points are Camps (Supply Camps), Tower, Keeps and Sentries.

Camps provide players with supplies (to the team that owns them); players use that supply to build siege and do repairs when towers or keeps are attacked/damaged.

Camps also send supplies to towers and keeps, via a Dolyak (actually 2), which travels along a Supply Route. Not every camp supplies every tower/keep on the map. Figure out which Camps supply which towers or keeps (simply open the map and see the layout).

Towers and Keeps are vaguely the same workings. Keeps are bigger, have 2 sets of gates and walls, can house a waypoint (as an upgrade), etc, but both need those supplies to upgrade and make them stronger, and both are captured when the Lord is killed, and a ring is up, like sPvP points.

I don’t know if that’s too basic for what you are asking, but you’ll get used to what’s going on from there, including tactics, decoys, etc.

Just do what others have suggested and don’t try most things on your own, pretty much everything is a team effort or at least requires a small group, and you might do your team more harm then good in some cases, especially where upgrades and supplies are involved.

There’s a lot more to it, it’s a jungle out there, but you’ll be fine. HF

(edited by haqqa.8194)

in WvW

Posted by: Hubal.8571

Hubal.8571

Well, for one, ignore people who tell you to go PvE when you ask questions. They probably were total noobs when they joined WvW, and judging by their reaction they are still noobs just experienced noobs.

When you go solo roaming – do whatever you want – (Maybe except for draining the supply from your fortifications, which includes buying upgrades). You only risk getting killed by enemy roamers and zergs, and you can learn this on your own. If you did PvP then this shouldn’t be that hard for you.

When you follow a group with commander, first try to avoid some things:
1. Dropping siege equipment – the commanders usually do that. (Unless you are directly asked)
Why:
a) While you might think you are helping, you are not in fact. For example it takes 40 supply for normal flame ram. Most often in a siege 2 rams/gate are used, so for keep (when you need to force 2 doors) you need 160 supply. The commanders can check the supply, so knows how to manage siege.

If for example your group has about 200 supply and you would drop a trebuchet (which costs 100 supply), most likely before most would realize they would sink the supply in a treb. (In worst case your group would build 2 rams and treb in front of the first gate and would have no supply for second)

2. Hogging the siege equipment when you don’t know how to use it, or have no mastery in particular siege and time is critical. This mostly applies for catapult and flame ram, and trebs / ballistas in some cases (countering enemy siege for example), and it’s usually OK to get on cannons and ac’s.
Why:

example: Person with high ram mastery does almost 2-ce damage of a person without, and also gets the 50% damage reduction while on ram.

example: When countering the enemy catapults/trebs with own, it’s necessery to quickly find right aim and force to destroy them before they destroy yours.

*3. Attacking the gates (and other things) when specifically it was said not to. *
Why:

When attacking a fortification, it get’s silver swords on it’s main icon. It tells everyone fortification is attacked, it doesn’t however tell where. Normal fighting when enough people are engaged can create orange swords in the place of fight, thus giving away your position immediately.

example: EB and stonemist castle – a very large fortification, if there are only a few souts in, they will need quite a bit of time to find where your attack is, in fact they might not even find you before you break through gate/wall.

A bit of other tips:

Equipment/build – in case of “zerging” you should use max survival mode – this means for example pvt eq (Power toughness vitality) or knight eq (Toughness power precision), and avoid berserker builds.

When scouting/reporting enemy presence try to give their exact location, numbers estimation and where do they head.

In borderlands maps, the keeps are referred by their common name:
bay (west) garri (center) hills (east)
North camp is referred often as “north camp” while other camps by name or it’s part (like vale)

AC – Arrow carts
SM – Stonemist Castle
kitten ing – attacking gate (or wall – yes some people try that) without siege.
PUG – Pick Up Group. Refers to a party assembled from the random pool of available players.

in WvW

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

lol yeah, you’ll find some of the more hardcore WvW player will hate you if you come near them. WvW is completely different to PvE and sPvP, you may not be geared properly or you may have teh wrong build, i.e. using your PvP build for WvW. If you die and get stomped you res the enemy downed players, which they will hate you for.

Find out your server TS, join it and if a commander tag is up follow it, but many guild do not run with commander tags, as this draws in everyone to them creating a huge zerg, when they really just want to run with their guild. So if this is the case listen in TS and find out where they are.

It also depends on how you like to play, Do you want to run with a big zerg which requires little skill, or a small team trying to capture a tower whilst the enemy zerg is busy fighting your zerg. Or even solo roaming where you can fight 1v1 or capture camps.

All I can recommend atm is tomorrow STAY OUT of the the Edge of the Mists!
As you already know WvW players do not like PvE players much, not just because of you being a rallybot for the enemy, but some also hate that anet have ignored WvW so much and so get hardly any useful updates whilst PvE gets LS every 2 weeks.

So if you go onto the EOTM be aware that WvW are out for PvE blood.

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

in WvW

Posted by: Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Some great answers here (especially good one by Hubal since he’s explaining why he’s giving you the advice .. nice one, Fella!). All the standard ones are there so my advice is more related to how you can dip your feet in and help your world.

Depending on which class you run, there are some useful tasks you can do while you get used to WvW (this is stuff that really does help but few people want to do).

If you can buff speed (Ranger, Warrior, Guard, etc .. not Necro :-( ), run dollies into your towers and keeps.

Stealthy class? Scout! Don’t get into fights … unless you feel really confident. Just be the eyes and ears that commanders really do love (of course, you’ve already taken the advice of getting on your world’s VOIP).

Got a tower or keep that’s being upgraded or is sieged up? Sit there and make sure the siege doesn’t waste away (once built, siege will degrade, and disappear after an hour .. nothing more disheartening than Garri being taken because no-one could be kitten d to refresh the tons of siege that would have prevented that). And be that voice that brings your horde in to drive away those ninjas that very carefully kept the orange swords off the map!

Will any of the above reward you? Hell no – you miss out on the loot bags and the wxp but you will be loved and respected by every commander on your server worth his/her salt.

Blood
(I have to know! In WvW, do Legendary NPCs drop Legendary loot?)

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

oh yeah if u see a guild group untagged, u might not wanna follow them around as for example zergbusting groups will yell at u for following. im in a zergbusting group and we dont like people following us because they will run in and die and rally everyone.
so better follow the commander.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: DivineBeing.2086

DivineBeing.2086

First, you may want to decide the type of game play you are aiming for:
1. Zerg vs Zerg?
2. Small group roaming?
3. Solo roaming?

Each game play above will require you to use a completely different build. If you’re built for zerging, stay away from the roamers. If you’re built for roaming, stay away from zerging lol.

Good luck!

Blackgate
Lightdivinity – Level 80 Bunker Elementalist
Reshaos – Level 80 Power Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Lol, yeah, these guys sure lack a sense of humor

Kill enemy Dolyaks and protect your own, flip camps, scare of enemy players and help your people and friendly NPC’s. Notify your server about enemy blob movement, or stall them when they zerg your keeps. Join a zerg when one passes, watch what they do, help build siege and scare of enemy blobs.

Play around with siege equipment present in keeps, figure out how they work and why they might be build were they are.

Oh, and above all, have fun.

^^^^^ This is good advice, as someone who was recently in the Op’s shoes (without the go PvE) What Frans is suggesting is what I have been doing, anyone can run with the zerg and if the zerg has a good commander you can learn tactics and build your Wxp while being relativity safe, but if you want to excel in WvW you really need to figure out a lot of things, it’s not always about killing everything in sight like PvE.

The another thing is spend a little time checking your build, what works in PvE isn’t always the best build for WvW, and the last thing you want to do is become a liability having folks constantly put at risk rezing you. When your tired of the zergs or have a bad commander go out and flip camps, kill the enemy supply yaks and escort your yaks, yeah your gonna die, and your gonna die a lot but it is part of learning. Solo play has it’s merits but you must be prepared to run away (to fight another day) or die taking as many of them out as you can in the process. I’ve gotten more laughs out of roaming solo flipping camps only to be encountered by 4-10 of the enemy team and just being killed in seconds while maybe taking out one of them.

Always look around in every direction all the time, be aware of your surroundings…. kill a guard and waiting for it to flip out in the open the enemy will sneak up on you, watch the map because the enemy does if they see guards flipping in a path they will come after you…expect it!

in WvW

Posted by: bigtimetopbanana.9725

bigtimetopbanana.9725

A couple of tips to expand on…
- Blanger mentioned to look around all the time. I highly recommend key-binding “Look behind” to help with this.
- A couple of folk mentioned that if you go down, you will rez enemies. For this reason, don’t run with an ‘up-level’ character (less than lvl80) unless you have OKed it with the commander. The enemy will see you as ‘squishy’ and deliberately pick on you, to rez their own side.
-

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Easiest way, find a commander, follow said Commander, try to do what Commander asks, within a few days of this you should have a basic Idea of how things work and at that point you can start working on the rest of the WvW stuffs.

in WvW

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

1. Try join a wvw guild
2. Find a zerg and follow it around for a few days
3. Start to stray from zerg as you get more and more comfortable

Know that zerg play and roaming are totally different
Be ready to make a lot of changes to your gear and spec as you wvw
Don’t get discouraged when you get killed. Know that you are doing well if you kill more than 1 person for every death, this isn’t pve you will not get a 1:1000 death to kill ratio.
Don’t take things too serious it’s just a game.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Join an active open WvW guild, follow a commander and go solo flip some guards/camps. Those three things will teach you everything you need to know about WvW in short order.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: godofcows.2451

godofcows.2451

my suggestion is to be a zergling for now. the term is a bit derogatory but it’s a good spot to start. besides, a good zerg is largely different from a zerg. find your server’s zerg train by looking at the map for the commander icon. follow them for now while you learn the ropes at the same time. more than likely you will have fun doing it once it sinks in. then after learning a few more things about it, then you can go on your own. there is a reason for this but i’m a little bit too lazy to type.