Language resulting in immediate bans

in WvW

Posted by: Virgil Kemp.7056

Virgil Kemp.7056

I was just banned for 70+ hours for using some words to describe a few commanders and players running back and forth, jumping up and down, doing nothing in WvW, while complaining about things not happening.

I have received no notification as to why I was banned. I have received no email, nor in-client message. The words I used were in one single message in map chat, not repeated. (as someone stated they reported me for)

These words were not used to disparage any individual or group. I named no one. In my culture, these words refer to weak people, incapable of distinct action. Comparable words would be “weakling,” or “invalid,” or phrases like “girly-man,” etc. While not necessarily politically-correct, they are widely-used terms not denoting hate nor derisiveness to any individual nor group.

Can’t sensitive, politically-correct minded people be protected from such subjective language by filters? Why was my account banned for a single message, the content of which I was never informed would be considered objectionable?

Can we please get a list of words which, used a single time, result in bans?

Can I say “commie”? Can I say “tea-bagger”? How do I know how PC I need to be to not get banned for a single map-chat message regarding gameplay in casual terms?

Trolls use these unknown words to get people banned. It’d be good to know what’s on the troll-bait list.

in WvW

Posted by: pixieish.9627

pixieish.9627

Reiseiji, Guardian, Fabulous Spec
Kaschen, Engi, Nerfed Spec
Devona’s Refugee, recently arrived to F.Aspenwood

in WvW

Virgil Kemp.7056

It was gameplay-oriented discourse.

People were complaining about ineffectiveness while effectively (AFK)ing.

While your link refers to a generally-admirable axiom, it doesn’t answer my question. Which words are auto-ban words?

When inactive players complain about progress in WvW, can we never comment on their inactiveness or be banned? To some degree, pointing out that they’re inactive is certainly not saying something nice. The TOS does not include notice of bans on the grounds of such commentary.

You’re saying it’s policy to ban anyone for pointing out that the inactiveness of inactive players is the reason for the lack of progress they complain about.

I’m just asking for a more formal declaration of this policy.

I think you are incorrect. I think it was a matter of language (I don’t know. No notice. No email.). Either way, a formal declaration would be sweet.

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

I do not think so, I understood it more as an attempt to fix the boarder of allowed language. But that is not the matter.

I think you can learn two things from this ban.

1) read the license you sign, it does not forbid you some words it forbid you insults.

2) opinion =/= insult, while free-speech should give you the right to state your opinion, it must not and does not give you the right to insult someone. Or if you are to upset to formulate your opinion without insults, you better stay silent till you are.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Nikola.3841

Nikola.3841

I do not think so, I understood it more as an attempt to fix the boarder of allowed language. But that is not the matter.

I think you should learn two things from this ban.

1) read the license you sign, it does not forbid you some words it forbid you insults.

2) opinion =/= insult, while free-speech should give you the right to state your opinion, it must not and does not give you the right to insult someone. Or if you are to upset to formulate your opinion without insults, you better stay silent till you are.

Its really really hard sometimes, I witnessed similar behaviour of some people whining for hours in wvw, while not doing anything constructive themselves

in WvW

Virgil Kemp.7056

Okay. So if someone is god-awful and literally AFK, pointing out that their (“A—-F—-K” is censored WOW nevermind you’re all [cluckin] weirdos) is why they failed to achieve something is an “insult” and therefore against the TOS.

Yeah that’s stupid. Oh crap, that’s an insult. So let’s ignore that I was banned for language and remove this post for an “insult” and ignore that I was banned for language.

Such “insults” you refer to happen ALL THE TIME and wayyyy worse than I engaged in. I was banned, to the best of my knowledge, for a single message. And all of your horse[spit] conjecture is worth no more than… horse [spit].

I didn’t realize you can’t even say “AYE—EFF-KAY” on the forums. Wow. Nevermind. Later.

(edited by Virgil Kemp.7056)

in WvW

Posted by: Ezeriel.9574

Ezeriel.9574

It is extremely difficult for me not to lash out at many of my servers commanders, and I think my server as a whole suffers from it.

But I know that if I hop in map chat and say “great job taking SMC, too bad we can’t hold it, too bad we lost three upgraded towers doing it, too bad you father didn’t use a kitten you waste-of-space, full of kitten jackwagon. I hope you and your mother kitten in a kitten.”

…even though my server would benefit greatly from my skill with colorful language, the nubcakes, that follow said jackwagon, would report me en-mass.

That’s why I take it to TS.

The only way to play the engineer is to exploit it.
Playing the engineer “as intended” is simply not viable.

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Welcome to the HelloKitty Wars 2. Anything from up from saying the s-word* can get you banned here.

*stupid

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

in WvW

Dayra.7405

No one is god-awful, it is just that YOU may think he is.

If someone is AFK, you waste your time writing in the chat

“Such “insults” you refer to happen ALL THE TIME”
So what? Murdering happens all the time as well, should it be allowed due to that?
Fortunately a lot are caught, every caught one is a gain, unfortunately not all are caught.

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

No one is god-awful, it is just that YOU may think he is.

If someone is AFK, you waste your time writing in the chat

“Such “insults” you refer to happen ALL THE TIME”
So what? Murdering happens all the time as well, should it be allowed due to that?
Fortunately a lot are caught, every caught one is a gain, unfortunately not all are caught.

So now we have some lighthead comparing murdering to swearing in an online game xDD.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in WvW

Posted by: Nikola.3841

Nikola.3841

So now we have some lighthead comparing murdering to swearing in an online game xDD.

This is most sensitive MMO community I saw so far, so that comparison is probably valid for many

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Some things become clearer if you contrast them.
A violation of the term of conduct is a violation of the term of conduct.
Some are caught, some are not, not one is legal.

PS: Calling someone a lighthead is an insult and by that a violation of the term of conduct, please correct it on your own before a moderator has to

PPS: A not insulting formulation would be something like “Come one, you do not seriously compare murdering to swearing in an online game, do you?”

PPPS: My anser: No I do not, as I did not asked for life-long prison /death as an adequate penalty for insulting in online games

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

I was just banned for 70+ hours for using some words to describe a few commanders and players ………

Well those commanders usually (some, not all) have strong, well respected reps on their servers alongside a large guild or pug following. Most likely Anet received a slew of reports from those players due to your choice of words and got you banned, ^.^

70+ hours is a pretty long ban, you were obviously raging hard. Next time keep it in /tell …..

in WvW

Posted by: Stardrift.7360

Stardrift.7360

Agree to disagree with this one. I`m pretty sure you can insult someone with non-vulgar words. It should be your god given right if the person merits such accolade. After all, if someone wastes your time what do you do? Walk away? Or do you firmly yet politely instill some shame into him? Threatening and salty language SHOULD earn a temporary ban, non-offensive critique should not.

in WvW

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

I still don’t understand why they banning for that. Inst that what filter is for? If u don’t want to hear stuff like that just put it on. Problem solved.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Agree to disagree with this one. I`m pretty sure you can insult someone with non-vulgar words. It should be your god given right if the person merits such accolade.

opinion = in favour or against some matter or attack some deficiency
GREAT, argue for it, get people supporting your matter, convince people to do/stop it, …

insult = verbal attack against a person (whatever words are used, the used words only tell you something about the education and mud of the attacker, but never anything about the properties of the attacked)
AVOID at all costs it never leads to somewhere else than to an escalation

It is never and must be never be your right to attack someone. Be it verbally or physical.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

You could say “red” and someone might be offended by it, and report you to get you banned, at least on these forums. I receive a week long ban if I tell someone to stop QQing on these forums….

The fact of the matter is, if ArenaNet wanted to be as banhappy as they are, they shouldn’t have ever made PvP in this game.

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

1. Go to Account Issues forum and ask why you were banned.

You will probably get a response with the exact text that got you banned and also why they determined you should take a break.

Other “why was I banned?” threads before got a similar response. You might have started out fine but crossed from generalized targets to individual targeted insults.

in WvW

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

Back when i cared more about WVW “GG morons” and “WTG idiots” were pretty common for me to spew. Glad i never got suspended.

in WvW

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

Account and ban / suspension related problems should be posted in Account Support subforums with an appropriate post. Also, if you want you can send a ticket to CS.

Thanks for your understanding.
This thread is closed.