Legendary defenders and spawn

in WvW

Posted by: Jay.7546

Jay.7546

I would like to make a suggestion and see what people think.

Spawn camping is garbage. No one likes it and its bad for the game. It’s really a cowardly act in the game. But the Legendary Defenders that stand guard right outside the spawn front gates have almost no range. Players have to almost kiss them before they react. Why not let them be rangers with at least as much range as a regular ranger has?

And how about making that path to the keep a place where another server can’t throw offensive siege. Being cowed in spawn or being pinned (yes I know there are other exits) by ACs and Balis happens too often. If they build siege in the keep its one thing. Lining up siege on the path from spawn is another.

in WvW

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

Your spawn has 3 exits, use a different one.

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I love when people bring the fights right to my spawn, beats the hell out of running around for 30 min watching people run into towers to avoid fighting.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in WvW

Posted by: Torgrim.3642

Torgrim.3642

There is no such thing as spawn camping when you have 3 total exit point.
If one spawn exit camped then use the other two exit points I really dont see the problem here.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Must agree with some of the other comments here (Lol @ Puck, love you man!).

But I must also admit that I would enjoy seeing that if there was a lot of enemy players outside of spawn, that the Leg-Def’s decided to make a push, brought Siegerazer, everyone got 1 min super swiftness, and chased away the rabble outside the gates!

(They would obviously stop at a certain range, say halfway between spawn gate and tower for example, or perhaps all the way out to the rock but not enough to get to the tower)

Don’t come and tell me that wouldn’t be fun!

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Iavra.8510

If you are so outmanned, that the enemy is able to keep you in spawn even with constant respawns, there is no point in adding even more PvE to WvW.

Besides, you can already activate Siegerazer to push out of the spawn, if needed.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I agree, it sucks to be spawn camped. Few people like it but it happens.

A few tips;

As you’ve mentioned, there are 3 exits. It’s very rare that a server will have enough of an attention span to camp all 3 exits for any significant amount of time. So if one is being camped, take the other.

Don’t feed them. They are only doing it to get a rise out of you and they know they’re making your server angry by doing it. The people who insist on giving them the attention they want are only making the situation worse. Go to another map, take another exit or come back later.

EOTM often has supplies you can use. Port there, take some supplies, port back, rinse and repeat until you’ve successfully built a/some ballista(s)/trebuchet(s) near your spawn to prevent the enemies from trolling you with siege.

If a whole zerg is spawn camping you (which Dragonbrand does almost every morning) remember that that means you know exactly where their main force is. It’s an ideal time to sneak off to another map, such as their home borderland, to take some objectives while they waste their time being trolls at your spawn.

And lastly, remember to pay your respects to the dead. Drop a blueprint on their corpses when they fail at life and jump on their corpse to pat it down in to the earth.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

If they camp your spawn that badly, move to another map, they eventually grow tired not having a fight and leave.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Spawn camping is a low and pathetic thing to do. But I dont know about extending a no siege range beyond spawn, I doubt it can prevent it, the enemy would just build it a little further away, and this could hurt the defending group trying to fight back or take something back. The legendary defenders are there to basically stop people from getting into the spawn site, but a recent update teleports players away automatically now if they attempt to get inside even if stealthed.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

If one spawn exit camped then use the other two exit points I really dont see the problem here.

The problem is that players dont stand still, they watch you go to another exit and meet you there.

From experience by YB:

Blue side, go to leave main exit, siege everywhere and blob…

Use left exit, jump down, receive fall damage, get sneezed on by 3 thieves….

Use right exit, jump down, receive fall damage, get sneezed on by 3 mesmers….

go back to main exit, head left again to try and avoid thieves, jump down, I’m safe, get out of the water, OH HELLO 3-4 THIEVES!

OP is right, Legendary defenders need to have a bit more effect than they currently do.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in WvW

Jay.7546

I’m sorry, you must have mistakenly written on the wrong topic. This is not “Are there other exits from spawn.” I mentioned that in the body already and yes anyone who plays WvW knows about them.

The topic here is increasing the range and effectiveness of the Legendary Defenders. And limiting or removing another servers ability to drop siege on the path from spawn to the keep. It would remove a nasty part of the game that adds absolutely nothing positive.

in WvW

Jay.7546

The problem is that players dont stand still, they watch you go to another exit and meet you there.

From experience by YB:

Blue side, go to leave main exit, siege everywhere and blob…

Use left exit, jump down, receive fall damage, get sneezed on by 3 thieves….

Use right exit, jump down, receive fall damage, get sneezed on by 3 mesmers….

go back to main exit, head left again to try and avoid thieves, jump down, I’m safe, get out of the water, OH HELLO 3-4 THIEVES!

OP is right, Legendary defenders need to have a bit more effect than they currently do.

You got it right. Everyone knows how to block the ways out and certain servers relish in the fact that its a part of the game to pin you in your spawn as if that’s an achievement.

in WvW

Jay.7546

No such thing. Listen, first off, this is not about being spawn camped this is about increasing the effectiveness of the Legendary Defenders and limiting or blocking siege from being thrown between the keep and spawn.

I have been spawn camped on every server I’ve been on in the three years of playing this game. Our guild admonishes fellow guildies for doing that and if they continue to do spawn camp they are booted from the guild. There is no place for that.

Just because there are other exits has nothing to do with the actions going on out front. The frustration level is high and people want to break through. Usually there is no commander on and you are grossly outnumbered so leaving out the back or side door with a small group usually doesn’t happen unless its a guild. And many times the spawn campers do have the exits guarded if its a certain server we all know about.

(edited by Jay.7546)

in WvW

Jay.7546

Must agree with some of the other comments here (Lol @ Puck, love you man!).

But I must also admit that I would enjoy seeing that if there was a lot of enemy players outside of spawn, that the Leg-Def’s decided to make a push, brought Siegerazer, everyone got 1 min super swiftness, and chased away the rabble outside the gates!

(They would obviously stop at a certain range, say halfway between spawn gate and tower for example, or perhaps all the way out to the rock but not enough to get to the tower)

Don’t come and tell me that wouldn’t be fun!

Good points, making the Legendary Defenders a bit more proactive and Siegerazer barrel through spawn campers taking out all siege. That would be fanstastic. Great idea.

in WvW

Iavra.8510

Increasing the range of legendary defenders would also mean increasing the area where you aren’t allowed to place siege since placing them in an area where all enemies are instantly killed is kinda op.

Also, it seems like PvE is more suited for you than WvW.

in WvW

Puck.9612

I’m sorry, you must have mistakenly written on the wrong topic. This is not “Are there other exits from spawn.” I mentioned that in the body already and yes anyone who plays WvW knows about them.

The topic here is increasing the range and effectiveness of the Legendary Defenders. And limiting or removing another servers ability to drop siege on the path from spawn to the keep. It would remove a nasty part of the game that adds absolutely nothing positive.

And what would that change? People would just spawn camp a little further back. Quit relying on npc’s to carry you, if you are so outnumbered that you can’t push out on 1 map, even with the help of razer, you have 3 other maps to choose from and each of them have 3 exits.

in WvW

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

Id be happy if they just had an AOE, i want to see all those dumb enough to run to close to get mowed all at once.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

in WvW

Posted by: MiniMe.1960

MiniMe.1960

I would like to make a suggestion and see what people think.

Spawn camping is garbage. No one likes it and its bad for the game. It’s really a cowardly act in the game. But the Legendary Defenders that stand guard right outside the spawn front gates have almost no range. Players have to almost kiss them before they react. Why not let them be rangers with at least as much range as a regular ranger has?

And how about making that path to the keep a place where another server can’t throw offensive siege. Being cowed in spawn or being pinned (yes I know there are other exits) by ACs and Balis happens too often. If they build siege in the keep its one thing. Lining up siege on the path from spawn is another.

No, no more PvE in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: MiniMe.1960

MiniMe.1960

I love when people bring the fights right to my spawn, beats the hell out of running around for 30 min watching people run into towers to avoid fighting.

Couldn’t say it better

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Yes there is very much such a thing as spawn camping. What are you going to do if you manage to get through one of the other exits? They’ve already busted up your forces either by sheer numbers and or skill and now they’re literally already standing around waiting for you to try something so they can do it again lol.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Jay.7546

And what would that change? People would just spawn camp a little further back. Quit relying on npc’s to carry you, if you are so outnumbered that you can’t push out on 1 map, even with the help of razer, you have 3 other maps to choose from and each of them have 3 exits.

Oh lord you really missed the whole purpose of this thread, please read whats being discussed or don’t comment. This thread, in case you missed it, is about increasing the effectiveness and range of Legendary Defenders thus eliminating the BS act of spawn camping.

It’s not about how many exits there are from spawn. It’s not about bringing the fights to spawn because someone is too lazy to run the map. And FYI you don’t really get bags when spawn camped. Don’t tell me you do either. It’s not about NPCs carrying anyone or the need for them to do so. People play GW2 and go into WvW because it’s a great game and trolls at spawn was not what the Devs had in mind. Otherwise why would they block siege from being placed in spawn or why would they place Legendary Defenders at the gates who can one shot you?

Best comment yet was having Siegerazer blast out the front of spawn and wreck anything in his path. Add that the Legendary Defenders have increased range and bye bye trolls spawn camping.

Has nothing to do with PVE. But has everything to do with making a better experience and game. If you think PVE is a Legendary blasting some kitten spawn camper or Siegerazer clearing a path then you need to see what PVE is all about, that’s not it. Just like Wvw is not about being trebbed and sieged in your spawn regardless of how many exits.

in WvW

Puck.9612

Oh lord you really missed the whole purpose of this thread, please read whats being discussed or don’t comment. This thread, in case you missed it, is about increasing the effectiveness and range of Legendary Defenders thus eliminating the BS act of spawn camping.

It’s not about how many exits there are from spawn. It’s not about bringing the fights to spawn because someone is too lazy to run the map. And FYI you don’t really get bags when spawn camped. Don’t tell me you do either. It’s not about NPCs carrying anyone or the need for them to do so. People play GW2 and go into WvW because it’s a great game and trolls at spawn was not what the Devs had in mind. Otherwise why would they block siege from being placed in spawn or why would they place Legendary Defenders at the gates who can one shot you?

Best comment yet was having Siegerazer blast out the front of spawn and wreck anything in his path. Add that the Legendary Defenders have increased range and bye bye trolls spawn camping.

Has nothing to do with PVE. But has everything to do with making a better experience and game. If you think PVE is a Legendary blasting some kitten spawn camper or Siegerazer clearing a path then you need to see what PVE is all about, that’s not it. Just like Wvw is not about being trebbed and sieged in your spawn regardless of how many exits.

sigh….. okay, for arguments sake let’s say you extend the defenders range another 1000 units. Why exactly would this fix anything? Players would still spawn camp you, they would just be a little further back.

Or are you asking that you get a clear path all the way to your keep making it impossible for your enemies to attack your keep from spawn side?

You are right about one thing, I rarely get bags when being spawn camped because I go out and /bow to see if any of them have the balls to duel and it’s bad form to stomp people in a duel. If they won’t duel and there is to many of them to break up I don’t charge into them over and over feeding them bags, I go to their bl and start flipping camps, tapping keeps, snagging towers, etc.

They aren’t going to sit there for long if they are losing stuff in their bl and you aren’t feeding them bags. Use a little common sense.

in WvW

Posted by: Lillie.9106

Lillie.9106

Jay, you can’t say this isn’t about spawn camping when the only purpose for increasing range on Legendary Defenders and blocking places for siege placement is to combat…wait for it…spawn camping. If anyone here is missing the point of of your thread, it’s you.

There aren’t mechanics in game to prevent it, and if the devs wanted there to be, there would. Since there are no in-game mechanics, a player is left to devise their own strategy to combat the issue. Multiple people have given you suggestions (leave the map, use another exit, etc.), none of which you care for because YOU think you know the true intent that the devs had envisioned.

Quite frankly you just sound bumhurt and not like someone who belongs in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

He does have a point though. In the end it comes down to simply waiting for a weaker force to leave the safe haven, whatever size said haven may be. Also, legendary defenders defaulting to ranger class reach will likely allow cowardice on the spawner’s side and will be abused. It all comes back to the participation imbalance that is at the core of WvWvW.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

One thing I picked up, that I’ve never tested, is if the enemy can see which way you leave spawn from. If they can see/spot this, then I think that should be changed. That way you at least have the option to take some people and break out one of the side exits without spawn campers predicting you and waiting.

Other than that, got to agree with Puck and the rest.

Though I wouldn’t mind having the LegDef’s patrolling a bit, so they’re not so static. (Often hid behind 3rd opponents LegDef to shake of some pesky enemies following me around).

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Iavra.8510

Id be happy if they just had an AOE, i want to see all those dumb enough to run to close to get mowed all at once.

They do, they just don’t use it that often.

in WvW

Posted by: Jethro.8725

Jethro.8725

Hey good point. How cool would it be if the legendary defenders (more like legendary observers) did something to spawn campers. First I think you have to rouse them out of their dark depression of standing listlessly on steps for 3 years. Then have Seigerazer and his trusted Super yak plow through the front gates like a rugby team. Anything would be better than being outnumbered and having trolls drop siege and spawn camp.

Funny how people comment about bumhurt or go out other exits HAHA probably the dopes who spawn camp. Going out other exits without a commander, good luck, Yaks Bend had thiefs spawn camping those exits and once had an arrow cart thrown by the exit to Mendons.

Nice idea though. Would be killer to see Anet solve the imbalance in cases like that with Legendary “Observers” punishing the trolls.

(edited by Jethro.8725)

in WvW

Iavra.8510

If you are outnumbered, why expect NPCs to do your job for you?

Otherwise, you know there are 3 other maps with 3 spawn exists each for you to play on?

in WvW

Jay.7546

Again @Lavra, missing the point. Were you really asking questions or was that just non helpful rhetoric? and @ Lillie, I don’t stay to fight spawn campers. Here is a secret. I go to another map, shhhhhh. I might even go to my alt, eeeek. Yes. I have played almost three years in WvW and Bumhurt ain’t one of the things I feel when a server has degraded to spawn camping. I laugh it off, it’s a game.

I will do a Fractal or a Dungeon or my story or PVE and map complete, there is a lot to do out there.

I do enjoy offering up ideas in forums that I would think might benefit the game. I don’t care much for those that offer no ideas and useless rhetoric. Thank you for your input. I’ve filed it lol

@jethro, that would be cool. Good ideas.

in WvW

Puck.9612

Going out other exits without a commander, good luck,

Pretty much perfectly sums up the type of people that complain about spawn camping…

in WvW

Iavra.8510

No, i’m not missing the point. If you are outmanned to an extend that every exit is swarmed with enemies and you can’t get enough people to push through any of it, why should the game help you?

in WvW

Puck.9612

No, i’m not missing the point. If you are outmanned to an extend that every exit is swarmed with enemies and you can’t get enough people to push through any of it, why should the game help you?

I think when I am solo roaming on a map and I have the outnumbered buff up the legendary defenders should become legendary attackers. They could follow me around and kill anyone that gets close to me so I can fully focus on PvD’ing without the worry of virtual death.

in WvW

Posted by: Andromeda.8293

Andromeda.8293

I have full faith in the power of legendary defenders

Watch as they ……wait…..where are my legendary defenders?

https://youtu.be/oMt6-Z7NJFc