Let us make WvW something greater

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

ArenaNet does not realize the full value of WvW. They think it is their distant third most important pillar upon which GW2 rests, the obvious more important ones being PvE and “eSports” (sPvP). It is an entrenched preconception they have that can’t be changed unless extraordinary measures are taken.

Let’s change that impression that ANet has of their own game. Let us make WvW something greater.
Because I do think it is currently the healthiest part of the game, despite all the controversies and lack of developer attention in the last months. Healthy in the sense that it provides longevity and the building of communities whereas PvE/sPvP by and large did not succeed.

The WvW community builds the most value per capita. For example, the teamspeak/mumble servers that now get utilized for some PvE content (Tequatl) were all set up for WvW rather than the other way around. The servers came together and organized around WvW, because due to the design of the game, that’s where it matters. Any medium sized WvW guild is more involved in building a community than almost any large PvE guild. You do not feel the presence of a PvE guild. They can be 500 members strong and do dungeons + events everyday and as a random PvE player you would not know their name, unlike a dedicated 30 people WvW guild for a WvW player.
WvW builds the strongest sense of server pride/belonging (atleast it did until leagues), and every departure of a guild or renowned player is a seriously big deal, whereas in PvE it literally does not matter due to overflows, guesting and a general lack of incentive to stick to a certain server, or actually any kind of content (meaning there’s no incentive to build a “Honor of the Waves vanquishing” community etc., with the exception of some RP going on on some servers).
The WvW community uniquely came up with their own grassroots PvP mode, a regular event with it’s own infrastructure.
Most server events, from my experience, like drinking raids, country raids, storytelling raids, class teaching evenings and all that are by the WvW community.

That PvE comparatively fails in community building and providing longevity is not necessarily something inherent in the idea of it, just to make that clear. PvE would likely play a much greater role both if it had proper endgame content, proper raiding, something that requires cooperation and tactics, and less broken overflow systems. However, all of this won’t change in the foreseeable future. We can’t wait for PvE to fix GW2.
It goes without mention that sPvP is in an even more desolate state. Even if it weren’t, a very individualist format like hotjoin and 5-man rooster PvP can’t exactly be the champion of community building.

And last but not least, I’m under the impression that pure PvEers very rarely stick to GW2, and if they do, they require biweekly content updates for that, whereas WvWers often log in every evening on one content update per season. That’s ok, casuals are the market ANet craves yadda yadda but that just isn’t exactly how you build enthusiasm for a game.

Capitalizing on the value WvW builds would be one of the best ways to elevate this game. As the rapidly deflating hype of the last year proves, current GW2 just isn’t much memorable as both a PvE game (the most notable selling point always being mentioned is that it is a B2P MMO without monthly fees, not actual content) and an eSport, but the WvW aspect never gets marketed, unlike with predecessors like DAOC. Why?

So let’s make WvW an equal or even the foremost pillar in GW2 development. Let’s force ANet to improve, build upon, expand the whole scope of WvW by truly realizing it’s value, with the most enticing blackmail ever: by advertising it.
Whenever GW2 gets discussed, despite our jaded, cynical view of where WvW is heading, don’t say it’s a PvE carebear game. Say it’s a RvR/WvW centric game. This is, and I think most of us can agree on that, where despite all of WvWs shortcomings the soul of the game actually lies.
Say it’s not particularly worth getting for just the PvE, but that it’s probably the best large scale PvP RPG (DAOC-style) on the market right now. Get people who like that to join instead of alienating them with bemoaning the current state of affairs.

When a PvE player asks you what you find interesting about hitting doors and being ganked all the time, do not second and tell them that WvW is crap and that Devon is ruining everything, insist that it’s where the game’s mechanics truly begin to shine (while still being more forgiving and less “hardcore” for them than tPvP). After all, that’s why we are still playing, no?
Tell the ex-WoWies that if they want the 30-40 man raids from WoW back, you literally need to get into WvW.

Grow us.

WvW is where the strength of GW2 lies. Don’t waste this potential. This goes out to both ANet and the players, who are quintessential in steering the game’s direction.

(edited by Jamais vu.5284)

in WvW

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Great post.

in WvW

Posted by: BeaverVaulter.9437

BeaverVaulter.9437

This is excellent. I think this is the best suggestion for how to improve the WvW aspect of the game I have ever heard. Let’s try and promote this attitude.

[CTSL] – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: nielscase.6258

nielscase.6258

+1 Very well said

in WvW

Posted by: Sarsbear.3469

Sarsbear.3469

And when they log into WvW for the first time as a lvl 2 we’ll yank the rug out from under their feet and laugh! Hope they brought gauze for all the faceplants!

in WvW

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

I like the philosophy of this except that, on its own, growing the WvW population is unlikely to:

• improve WvW as a game mode – it is far more likely to produce more zergs and more lag.
  • change Anet’s perception of WvW – Anet take participation as evidence of success, and Anet have stated that WvW is now ready to be run it as the ongoing league it was always intended to be.

in WvW

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

Good post, too bad nobody did not give it any attention..

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!