Light Field & Blast Finisher Feedback

in WvW

Posted by: expandas.7051

expandas.7051

Let’s use this thread to gather feedback on the February 22nd balance patch change to light fields and blast finishers. We’ll probably see the most impact on large scale combat. Is it effective? Is it ineffective? Does it need tweaking? Let the community know how your guild, team, or server feels about the change in practice.

• Light Field: Blasting a light field will now cleanse a condition from allies in a radius of 360. This previously granted retaliation. [source]

For reference here is a list of appropriate and relevant light fields:

Here is a list of appropriate and relevant blast finishers:

(edited by expandas.7051)

in WvW

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

this requires a whole thread? it was clearly designed to do two things
A: fight condi meta
B: prevent guards from instantly killing ele’s by granting team retal

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

this requires a whole thread? it was clearly designed to do two things
A: fight condi meta
B: prevent guards from instantly killing ele’s by granting team retal

Yea. Is it too strong? Too weak? Should it cure more condis than it does? Should it go back to retal/light aura? Should it do something else entirely?

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

we’re already fighting teams that are basically condi immune even before this change. we’ll see over the next reset how it plays out. lets give it a week or so.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: expandas.7051

expandas.7051

OriOri nailed it on the head. Having a separate thread is useful so we can focus, more so if guilds are open to sharing information.

In a slightly related note, Karl McLain responded to a comment I made in the official feedback thread about epidemic.

Thanks for posting!

There are some aspects about this skill that we want to fix when we get a chance, such as negative condition duration not affecting transferred conditions (it also doesn’t increase durations, but that wouldn’t be desirable). Some aspects of it are odd and we’ll be looking at certain epidemic targets (such as wvw doors).

The ability (in its design and in-game-play) does what we would like it to, where if conditions stack up you get to condition-bomb everything. With that said, we do want there to be some counter-play available to large groups. In this update, the addition of condition clears when blasting light fields was made in part to help combat Epidemic and area condition spikes.

Cheers,

-Karl

(edited by expandas.7051)

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I think this is a good change. too much retal in general in wvw. also, now when some fool puts down a light field over your water you will at least get some benefit from it.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I would 100% rather a condition cleanse on myself than granting retaliation (which, can be corrupted in itself anyway). Especially if it can be blasted multiple times..?

This is mostly from a WvW PoV.

in WvW

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I think it has the potential to be quite an elegant solution

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

its dangerous, since wvw is about movement if group looses momentum for the symbol splashings might become a good way to bombard with necros and eles aoe.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

we’re already fighting teams that are basically condi immune even before this change. we’ll see over the next reset how it plays out. lets give it a week or so.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/A-response-to-Karl-s-Epidemic-Comment/6506055

Might want to take a look.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: qawaearata.9472

qawaearata.9472

Clarion bond is broken since the update and even before. With the recent changes to call of the wild for rangers, the rangers attacks for the next 4 seconds is unblockable. The patch notes mentioned they “fixed” SIGNET of the wild from a bug making them unblockable but now when i use pet swap, which grands me CALL of the wild, my skills are completely blockable AND the blast finisher does not work at all when you are granted CALL of the wild (which has always been a bug for some time). It is important to mention that the pet itself is not blockable still, BUT the ranger is. “Clarion Bond” says nothing about ONLY the pet being blockable and until this update, it worked as intended. Warhorn 5 does say pet only, but im not even sure if its always been like that considering no one uses warhorn.. This is a bug causing the ability and combo finisher to work not as intended, both for the unblockable damage AND the combo finisher.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/A-response-to-Karl-s-Epidemic-Comment/6506055

Hi

While this wasn’t us in particular that nuked these guys today, we have done so many many times in the past, now heres the kicker and the funny thing. One of the guilds that is almost immune to condi (thus epi), is on their link (don’t know if server) and often fights right besides them.

I will not get specific with names here due to forum rules, but these guys truly have L2P issues, and as 1 poster above pegged it, its exactly and precisely the out of position people that we focus on, and this dude clearly got focused in such a manner, just by a different guild on a different day.

We usually run around 20-30 ish people and go vs map que size groups. We win some, we lose some. Incidentally, we’re already working on our next meta based on today’s patch and are looking forward to the new calls for nerfs which will be coming within next few weeks. Are you ?

All that said, there does need to be some limits and balance, I have stated multiple times that there is really no reason to have more then 25 stacks of any single condi on any single player, that the general HOT powercreep needs to be toned down all around, everything, and I do mean everything. All base stats in the game are too high at the moment and no matter what half decent team build you come up with some aspect of it will be broken and OP. There are simply no trade offs since the time when stats have been removed from trait lines.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

I just don’t see how a coordinated blasted light field (stack, drop light field and no others, blast), taking in all the delays in reaction time, are going to be a counter to a coordinated condi bomb.

in WvW

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Clarion bond is broken since the update and even before.

Bug report it, if you haven’t already.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in WvW

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I hate this change on my engie. I loved blasting light field from elixir gun 5/4 for AOE retal. Especially when fighting a DH that likes to use procession of blades. Could easily take a nice chunk of its HP if the trap hit a couple people with retal buff.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Hi

While this wasn’t us in particular that nuked these guys today, we have done so many many times in the past, now heres the kicker and the funny thing. One of the guilds that is almost immune to condi (thus epi), is on their link (don’t know if server) and often fights right besides them.

I will not get specific with names here due to forum rules, but these guys truly have L2P issues, and as 1 poster above pegged it, its exactly and precisely the out of position people that we focus on, and this dude clearly got focused in such a manner, just by a different guild on a different day.

We usually run around 20-30 ish people and go vs map que size groups. We win some, we lose some. Incidentally, we’re already working on our next meta based on today’s patch and are looking forward to the new calls for nerfs which will be coming within next few weeks. Are you ?

All that said, there does need to be some limits and balance, I have stated multiple times that there is really no reason to have more then 25 stacks of any single condi on any single player, that the general HOT powercreep needs to be toned down all around, everything, and I do mean everything. All base stats in the game are too high at the moment and no matter what half decent team build you come up with some aspect of it will be broken and OP. There are simply no trade offs since the time when stats have been removed from trait lines.

Ah, thanks for the input. I figured these issues are related, and I do agree there’s no need for 25+ stacks of condi. Though I imagine a lot of these things can be countered with resistance. Coordinated groups can definitely remove it with boon removal, but Corrupt Boon is the real only thing that can instagib (well besides bountiful theft lulz). Though in these cases, being focused that hard will be hard to survive.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Eleazar.9478

Eleazar.9478

Clarion bond is broken since the update and even before. With the recent changes to call of the wild for rangers, the rangers attacks for the next 4 seconds is unblockable. The patch notes mentioned they “fixed” SIGNET of the wild from a bug making them unblockable but now when i use pet swap, which grands me CALL of the wild, my skills are completely blockable AND the blast finisher does not work at all when you are granted CALL of the wild (which has always been a bug for some time). It is important to mention that the pet itself is not blockable still, BUT the ranger is. “Clarion Bond” says nothing about ONLY the pet being blockable and until this update, it worked as intended. Warhorn 5 does say pet only, but im not even sure if its always been like that considering no one uses warhorn.. This is a bug causing the ability and combo finisher to work not as intended, both for the unblockable damage AND the combo finisher.

Lol dude wrong thread and clarrion bond was since the call of the wild buff, only applies to pets period.

And second the blast finisher on clarion bond only dosnt work on smoke fields, which at this point if feel like it’s intended.

[Snky] FC don’t worry I’m just a scrub until I’m OP

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I hate this change on my engie. I loved blasting light field from elixir gun 5/4 for AOE retal. Especially when fighting a DH that likes to use procession of blades. Could easily take a nice chunk of its HP if the trap hit a couple people with retal buff.

Yep, this change goes a long way to ruining my engi build in small scale pvp due to that.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Mighty Favazz.1546

Mighty Favazz.1546

Wouldn’t it have just been wonderful if retal triggered off of condi tics? That would have been glorious!

in WvW

Posted by: qawaearata.9472

qawaearata.9472

Lol dude wrong thread and clarrion bond was since the call of the wild buff, only applies to pets period.

And second the blast finisher on clarion bond only dosnt work on smoke fields, which at this point if feel like it’s intended.

“It DOES work on smoke field, its a BLAST FINISHER. if you use warhorn 5 inside (call of the wild, you go invisible, so i have no idea what you are talking about.

2. If you read the skill, it says you are unblockable and it functioned like that until this last patch so OBVIOUSLY what your saying was not the case. WARHORN 5 says pets only, not the carion skill, read it….."

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I just don’t see how a coordinated blasted light field (stack, drop light field and no others, blast), taking in all the delays in reaction time, are going to be a counter to a coordinated condi bomb.

I seriously doubt that was the intent of the change, to give a “coordinated” counter. That’s not Anets WvW, remember? This is rather to cover the billions of guard marks – which of course have been buffed – being passively used simply by combat and spamming finishers on cooldown, reducing the overall condi overhead for the zerg.

I cant really disagree with the change though.

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

If I’m fighting with any kind of organized group, epidemic, and conditions do nothing. Between the resistance from Revs and Mesmers, and the massive amount of condi cleanses from eles, guards, and duids, I never died to condis, even in an epi bomb. If you’re group is having an issue with this, then add a rev to your group comp. Even when epi bombed, the condis are not even there for more than a split second. This change to light fields does nothing for group play but lessen the amount of retailiation.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Posted by: Namer.9750

Namer.9750

People keep talking about how easy it is to counterplay condis don’t even fight good groups. If you think you can “just pop resistance/cleanse it”, you’re not fighting a group that focuses Epi bomb: you’re fighting some pseudo pug blob with one or two Epi necros, or some bad guild group who don’t know how to focus.

Yeah, you can counterplay it. For about the first 10-20 seconds. In fights, things can and do go wrong. Players can get ping spikes. Someone can get pulled. The wrong boon (i.e. Resistance itself) gets ripped. The wrong condition gets cleansed. The group gets separated out of range of cleanses.

If I’m fighting with any kind of organized group, epidemic, and conditions do nothing. Between the resistance from Revs and Mesmers, and the massive amount of condi cleanses from eles, guards, and duids, I never died to condis, even in an epi bomb. If you’re group is having an issue with this, then add a rev to your group comp. Even when epi bombed, the condis are not even there for more than a split second. This change to light fields does nothing for group play but lessen the amount of retailiation.

What if your Revenant gets pulled? What if your revenant goes down? The enemy group pushes in, dropping Wells. Your party’s revenant’s stab gets stripped/corrupted and he gets bombed. He goes down, and the resistance is suddenly gone, meaning your party is now vulnerable to those 20 stacks of burning and bleed you stacked up because you had Resistance and weren’t caring before. You say an Ele can cleanse, but can an Ele cleanse 6-8 different conditions at the same time? An Ele could maybe cleanse 4 at a drop: say, cripple, vuln, chill, poison. Then they get instagibbed by the 32 stacks of Bleed that they failed to cleanse because of RNG.

The problem is the margin of error to survive against Epidemic Bombs is too high compared to the margin of error needed to carry out Epidemic Bombs. If you have two groups of perfectly matched skill level, only one running power and one running condi, the group with the Epidemic Bomb will win every time because all it takes it one skill that’s on a 12 second cooldown, and can stack up. On the other side, if you miss one spot of resistance, or fail to cleanse the damaging condition, you drop. Simple.

Tbh the change to light fields decreases the rate at which various stray Conditions will build up on your zerg, but against a group that actually focuses and pinpoints the Epi-bomb, it does jack all.

(edited by Namer.9750)

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

It could make to clear 2 condies cause now 90% of wvw population uses condition dmg. I barely see anyone with power build.