Looking for WvW Tips

Looking for WvW Tips

in WvW

Posted by: Gherick.7842

Gherick.7842

Hey everyone,

A little bit of history. I played the game at launch then ended up quitting after about a year. I’ve been back for about a week now after getting HoT and I’ve been wanting to really dig into WvW.

I’m on Tarnished Coast and play as a Warrior. I’ve been doing a lot of research on builds since I’ve been back and I have been having some trouble on finding up to date info since the latest patch.

What I’m hoping to get feedback on:

1. What are the strongest “meta” builds right now for warriors playing in a large group that are the most beneficial?

2. What is the best gear combination to run with said builds.

3. If Warriors aren’t really that desired, what are some of the most sought after Professions/Builds for WvW?

4. Where are some good guides that I can study up on to become a better all around WvW player?

Thank you in advance for all your feedback!

Looking for WvW Tips

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Find nearest tag. Play a class with a staff. Join blob and spam auto attack (likely the 1 key). Play in blob for 1 month. Then you can try to command a blob after you farm pve for 300 gold.

Sound fun? welcome to wvsw.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Looking for WvW Tips

in WvW

Posted by: Joshhh.2076

Joshhh.2076

1) Warrior had gone out of fashion with the onset of pirate shipping (that is, groups favouring ranged nuke only rather than engaging in melee combat, brought on by Anet’s nerfing of stability last year). Stability has been improved so warriors may become more popular again. For large group play a good way to go is hammer-greatsword Berserker. I’m on my phone so can’t link a build, but start off tanky and work in more offensive gear as you grow more accustomed to staying alive. For utilities, run Endure Pain as a panic button, and something to provide stability, such as Dolyak Signet or Balanced Stance. For your third, perhaps Outrage for the low cooldown stunbreak. It’s down to preference really, so have a play about. Also, run Battle Standard. That one skill can turn a wipe into a win.

2) Perhaps soldiers with berserker weapons and trinkets to start off with. For runes, Durability is ideal, for the boon duration it offers, but that takes a lot of PvE farming as well as requiring HoT. Other good options could be Strength or Hoelbrak. Depends on budget.

3) Warrior is always desired for the Battle Standard, but the most useful classes are Altruistic Healing Guardian/Dragonhunter, which are the core of the melee train, and Wells Necro and Staff Elementalist, both of which are the main sources of ranged damage, with the elementalist also needed for healing. You should be able to find builds for these on Metabattle (I’d link some myself, but phone). Revenant is also pretty useful, the Glint legend gives out boons like candy, and the Jalis elite is a 50% damage reduction for your party. Google or someone else could probably help more on build or gear for Rev though.

4) I don’t know of any guides but I’m sure they exist. Failing that, ask around on your server, some have WvW community guilds that can help people, or see if your server has a forum and you might find guides on there.

EDIT: Join your server’s TeamSpeak. Don’t need to talk, just listen, and it helps both you and your commander.

Most importantly, have fun

Gandaran.

(edited by Joshhh.2076)

Looking for WvW Tips

in WvW

Gherick.7842

Joshhh,

Thank you for the response! That was very helpful. Sounds like the Warrior is a lot more limited compared to when I started playing. I used my boost on a Guardian so I may have to look into them more. Thanks again!

Looking for WvW Tips

in WvW

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

Banner is your friend. That is the rez Banner. Your job often will be to pick up the poor guys the guards and eles could not heal up, or they got stuck in CC, or lag, or the enemy is OFC outnumbering and skillless and imba brocken,… In short you ignore the miriad of excuses for failing and pick them up. You will not geht the poor a necro or ele gehts (too few aoe), you will not get the uhhh we are so usefull yadayadayada guatdians are so prone to spout out but you are.

OFC you do not have to take the path of the heavy armored Banner kitten and frontline tank.
I for one am quite happy when my guild allow’s me to be a backline Farmer. Full zerk and evicerate those complacent eles with 2 hits, stun and destroy necros that are busy throwing their wells into the main zerg.
Vanss builds( just look it up in yt) works just fine for me.
But before you do, get used to zergs, their composition, general class roles and learn your own build.

And do not get disencouraged by the few people spouting nonsense about zergs, ignore bitter people. The majority enjoys zergfights, maybe they are too busy having fun as to come to the forum kittening about it. One thing i might suggest is to ask in your local TS if some one could explain warrior wvw. Learning by doing is allways better.

I hope you enjoy your time in wvw be it as nurse for your own side, stun machine or nasty suprise in the enemies backline.

Looking for WvW Tips

in WvW

Gherick.7842

Thanks, Silberferling!

Looking for WvW Tips

in WvW

Posted by: Asami.3572

Asami.3572

If you’re looking to be running in the frontline, I’d take a look at running sword/warhorn and hammer instead of a greatsword. Warhorn got a buff recently in the form of the conditions cured from the Quick Breathing trait. It’s great for supporting your fellow frontliners by keeping some condi off them.

Plus the F1 skill you get with sword is good for locking down enemies because you can use that and weapon swap to hammer and it’ll still give the full duration of the immobilize on the Sword F1.

Silver Koneko/Silver Kom Trikru/Lime Dorito
BG

Looking for WvW Tips

in WvW

Gherick.7842

Asami,

I recently heard about the buff to warhorn. I was happy to hear that since I use to run with the sword/horn a lot in WvW back when I started playing. Appreciate the tips!

Looking for WvW Tips

in WvW

Silberfederling.9302

Sword\horn is great to keep you mobile as a frontline warrior, just remeber blast the waterfields not the light fields guatdians seem to loose in every regroup

Looking for WvW Tips

in WvW

Gherick.7842

Silberfederling,

I enjoy the mobility sword/horn brings! I had totally forgotten about the spell combo’s you could do in GW2 until I started playing again last week. I try to time my horn CD to use when I hear people calling out water drops in TS. Thanks for the info on the light fields!

Looking for WvW Tips

in WvW

Silberfederling.9302

Fire& water are worth blasting and jumping though, same goes for chaos and darkness fields, ice is usefull aswell but the duration and dmg of retaliation at this time is not worth the CD you would have (imho)

Looking for WvW Tips

in WvW

Gherick.7842

I hadn’t even thought of those. Thanks for the info!