Looking to get into wvw

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Opopanax.1803

Opopanax.1803

I’m a pve player looking to get into wvw. What is the best way to start learning it?

I have almost all of the classes, which is better in wvw, or which should I use to learn wvw first?

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

check youtube because they show tutorials.

go for guard beause it is basic.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

from my personal experience

Attachments:

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Blodeuyn.2751

Blodeuyn.2751

You don’t need PvP experience to wvw. There are some tips linked at the top of this forum:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-some-things-you-should-know

My only suggestion is to bring a class/build with condi clear. Condi is stupid op in wvw. It also doesn’t hurt to find a wvw guild that’ll show you the ropes.

Blodeuyn Tylwyth
Quaggan OP [QOP], League of Extraordinary Siegers [LEXS]
Ehmry Bay

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Seed.5467

Seed.5467

I’m a pve player looking to get into wvw. What is the best way to start learning it?

I have almost all of the classes, which is better in wvw, or which should I use to learn wvw first?

That differs from person to person but more commonly you will need the following in my opinion :

1. Know the basics of WvW and what is all about. World versus World

2. Know the class you are playing and be flexible to change class as needed.

3. You can use your own builds and gear but it worth looking to meta builds for WvW. Here is a link : GuildWars 2 Meta-Builds

4. Follow the commander and join Squad and TS/Discord for communication.

The rest you will learn in time by playing it.

Regards

Seed

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

You don’t need PvP experience to wvw.

its just my personal experience

PvE tends to have a predictable enemies
PvP have unpredictable enemies
WvW have predictable commanders, and unpredictable roamers

personal experience is always the best teacher

don’t forget to dump your berserker gear if you want to jump from pve to wvw
you can keep it and use it if you are confident with your pvp skills

then again, it came from a personal experience

and here is the interesting part:
if you don’t know how to dodge, you’ll learn that on experience eventually if you skipped the pve tutorial on it at the very beginning of the game, and you die easily, the commander you are following will sometimes get frustrated if the pugs following him dies easily and becomes rallybot only to tag down, there are other commanders who are patient about teaching new wvw players.

ive seen one its guild called Learn wvw here [NEW], forgot its server

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

(edited by Norbe.7630)

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

I would first try to follow pug commander, normally in EB. Any class with range is fine for this purpose. Also if they ask to join Teamspeak, do so.

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Kirnale.5914

Kirnale.5914

The best way to start is finding a commander and follow him (make sure to join his squad). Sometimes they want you to be in TS, mostly just want you to listen. You will learn the basics just fine just by following the commander.

Best class to start is guard. Make sure he is not zerker geared. The guard have a really high defense, have a good amount of condi clear, and invul just in case it gets critical. With him, you can learn how to position yourself in a fight. You might want to try out necromancer after guard.

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

Also, if you mention your server, there are people willing to help new players looking to enter WvW and willing to learn how best to help.

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

Pro Tip: Stay away from Mettabattle. Terrible builds. Do research and figure out what works best for roaming and group comp.

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

metabattle is actually a decent place to get initial builds then as you learn to play/fight etc you adjust your build from there. As a beginner you are probably going to want a build that helps you survive and maybe support those around you.

Lots of good suggestions here. To add on to them… A real good way to learn WvW is to have a friend who already plays it. Get him/her to buddy with you and help you understand what’s going on as you go.

Most commanders won’t have the time to explain a lot unless it’s a small group commander. If I’m commanding (Borlis Pass – linked with CD atm)… I typically run small havoc groups and will always say what we’re doing and often offer comments of why we’re doing it, why we’re putting siege “here”, why we’re running like hell.. or fighting to the death.. and so on.

Bottom line… prepare to die a lot, prepare to have fun if you can handle dying a lot

Watch and learn. Good luck, Have fun!

… just call me … Tim :)

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

U will get 10x better at wvw if you spvp for awhile. If you wvw you’ll only get marginally better at wvw. If you wvw you won’t get any better at spvp. Pve doesn’t really help at all.

aka. “The Complainer”

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

If you’re not used to pvp type battles, you’ll want to tag along with a commander and their zerg vs roaming on your own or with a friend. WvW is a harsh place to wade into individual (or outmanned) battle against other classes where you may not recognize what it is they’re running.

Be kind in map chat. Don’t use team chat until you feel comfortable announcing something to everyone on your server (in WvW). Ask questions, but not in the middle of a fight. Hop on TS (discord or whatever) if you can.

SBI

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Expect to get beat… a lot at first, until you learn the areas/builds/strats

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: DLight.7952

DLight.7952

Joining a wvw guild is a good way to learn. Follow commanders, join squads and listen in team speak/discord. If you find a commander you like, add him or her to your friends list.

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

just accept you cant win every fight an have fun. WvW is a place where you will meet your hard counter there will nothing you can do to stop it.

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Pinko.2076

Pinko.2076

don’t listen to anyone that recommends a single spec

play everything – go to a dummy and practice the basics if its applicable (thief burst, mes burst, ele scepter rotations as examples), then play at least 10 spvp games as that until you feel you Get It

then play what you enjoyed. now you’re probably going to do a LOT better playing what you enjoyed because you have a pretty good idea of what everything can do

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Twinny.9304

Twinny.9304

As a few have already mentioned pvp really helps out. Also another few things i would consider is, if you do decide to take peoples advice on trying pvp first, not only learn your class thoroughly, also learn your enemies classes, and how to counter them etc.

When your in WvW get familiar with each map your in, look at where the structures are, their names, easy routes to them, so if you do go down you can get back to the action asap. Watch map chat and learn the lingo. Get on your servers TS, follow instructions well and follow commander that way you will always be learning as your playing. Never try being a hero and separate yourself from the zerg (dont leave the zerg to chase down single enemies), guaranteed some guy will have his sights set on taking you out and will wait for the right moment, to have success.

All in all there is a lot to learn from how the game mode works to score, tiers of structures, siege placements, supplies, upgrades, supply camps, tower, keeps, ruins, dollies, the list can go on and on, and when your in there playing it you will pick it up bit by bit and you should enjoy it.

Best advice anyone can give you is to ask for help, yes you will get some child who was born a pro calling you a noob in map chat but 9/10 you’ll get the odd whisper saying “i’ll help you out” or a cheeky party invite, in which case you make some new friends on the way.

Good luck to you and hope you enjoy, have fun

Twinny Todd – Guardian – FSP [PunK]
Big Bad Bunny – Necro – FSP [PunK]

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Press B, pick a borderland, enjoy.

It’s not complicated. You learn by doing, not by reading guides or going into entirely different game modes that are unrelated to WvW, with different skill functions and rules. You just pick up bad habbits.

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Pelto.9364

Pelto.9364

Go with prof you like, and just follow the commander. Remember to stack.

Looking to get into wvw

in WvW

Posted by: Blodeuyn.2751

Blodeuyn.2751

Press B, pick a borderland, enjoy.

It’s not complicated. You learn by doing, not by reading guides or going into entirely different game modes that are unrelated to WvW, with different skill functions and rules. You just pick up bad habbits.

This. PvP is not WvW.

Blodeuyn Tylwyth
Quaggan OP [QOP], League of Extraordinary Siegers [LEXS]
Ehmry Bay