Losing HP on inclines--annoying?

in WvW

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Anyone else find this incredibly annoying? You run down an incline,( not a drop), and start losing life incrementally, on occasion so dramatically as to cause death. Iv seen this happen in towers on ramps supposedly safe, and ramps leading down from borderlands’ ruins of power.

(not bothering to report this on bugs forum as, it been there so long, it would be a fruitless exercise)

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Yes, this happens in quite a lot of areas. It’s like a lot of consecutive fall-damages despite barely dropping a yard.

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

it’s made even worse if you’re in combat and have already taken a little bit of damage. you’re fighting and everything appears normal. you take a step down a ramp, and imaginary fall damage kills you outright.

it’s been around for as long as i can remember. i think fixing it is in the “soon” (never) pile, along with pretty much everything else that doesn’t directly cost them money.

in WvW

Posted by: MrAmputatoes.6031

MrAmputatoes.6031

ANet should have added a rolling animation to this. ROLL TO YOUR DEATH! I find it annoying at times ( i.e the east stairs from the south side ruins). You fall a reasonable amount and take 1000 damage, then touch the floor again and take 1000 repeatedly till death. That why you should play thief and just ignore the z-axis.

in WvW

Posted by: CEDWYN.5392

CEDWYN.5392

Since this does not happen in PVE, one has to assume it is server lag caused within WvW. The time/distance of falling is so small on slopes that I believe this is causing a rounding error with very small numbers and the server thinks you are falling further than you are. The only reasonable guess is something is being divided by a very small number and increasing the damage rather than decreasing it.

Yes, it is very annoying.

in WvW

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Stairs/Hills OP. Please nerf.

in WvW

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Speed makes it worse.

Traveler’s runes on, I can usually “slide” down, and only take a small loss if that. If I’ve got a speed buff on, one step then death.

Wondering if it isn’t a map error.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

in WvW

Posted by: Kitiara.2706

Kitiara.2706

LOL @ sometimes dying on that last step on one of the sets of stairs in green keep on ebg.

in WvW

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I died on the hill down from the waypoint to the Shadow Behemoth. I was like “wha?”. Full health to dead (not downed) in just over a second. Fortunately there’s the waypoint right there but it was one of those “this is really stupid” moments.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Yep. Have died to this oversight plenty of times.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

LOL @ sometimes dying on that last step on one of the sets of stairs in green keep on ebg.

You should try the south ruins stairs sometimes with a 25% speed boost. You’re pretty well guaranteed to die without jumping constantly.

in WvW

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

Bug since launch. Nothing to see here.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

It must be server lag. I “fell” once on the flat surface outside the lord’s room of hills right after a laggy battle and took over 700k damage (ok maybe not that much but it was well in the 100ks). Despite the fact that my corpse was outside the lord’s room, no one could rez me since I was technically at the bottom of the cliff.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

And if its not brought to the attention of the great and mighty it gets forgotten about, thinking everything in the garden is rosey>>

in WvW

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

I died whilst walking down some stairs in Bay once. I laughed so hard.

Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

And if its not brought to the attention of the great and mighty it gets forgotten about, thinking everything in the garden is rosey>>

Oh, I’m not saying it shouldn’t be brought up or reported. I just wouldn’t suggest holding your breath while waiting for a fix.

in WvW

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

The bug is really annoying. Worst case is your HP drop from 100% to 0% while running (not jumping) downstairs. This happened to me while running down the stairs at the southern ruins (north).

IMO falling damage should be completely revamped for WvW because it can be abused to bypass downstate in so many ways. Just think about the EOTM map design: Heavy knockback classes like warriors will be king of the hill because the map is full of choke points and inclines.

Even on the current maps its so dump to jump off a tiny incline and die instantly because right before you jump your health drops from 50-30%. IMO you should just die from falling damage when you jump from really high (e.g. the cliff from hills). If you jump from a not so high incline and your health drops to 0% you should be put to downed state.