Lower the Rank Requirement for Armor

in WvW

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

The requirements are fine as they are since they do not prevent you from acquiring a tier of equipment. Only the skin is locked.

If it was up to me, the requirements would be even higher.

If you only play WvW for a skin, you need to stop right now. The end game content should be your primary reward, not the pixelized carrot.

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

The requirements are fine as they are since they do not prevent you from acquiring a tier of equipment. Only the skin is locked.

If you only play WvW for a skin, you need to stop right now. The end game content should be your primary reward, not the pixelized carrot.

I disagree, the skins are a carrot on a stick, designed to entice new players to enter wvw, or veteran players to return. Its working lots of people came in to checkout the skins and looked at what it required to earn it. Most got dissuaded and left because the requirement was too high, the grind was too much.

If people dont play the game mode its because the game mode is not fun, which is a seperate issue. The carrot kept people engaged enough to check wvw out but not enough to stay. If it was lowered a bit then perhaps the carrot would be more enticing, enough for people to at least stay long enough to obtain it.

As it is now its just too much and players are leaving. The only ones I see are going for the back piece and even they think that should be easier to obtain (a testament to how much most players apparently dislike wvw, or the grind for the backpiece is even too much or both.)

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I disagree, the skins are a carrot on a stick, designed to entice new players to enter wvw, or veteran players to return. Its working lots of people came in to checkout the skins and looked at what it required to earn it. Most got dissuaded and left because the requirement was too high, the grind was too much.

If people dont play the game mode its because the game mode is not fun, which is a seperate issue. The carrot kept people engaged enough to check wvw out but not enough to stay. If it was lowered a bit then perhaps the carrot would be more enticing, enough for people to at least stay long enough to obtain it.

As it is now its just too much and players are leaving. The only ones I see are going for the back piece and even they think that should be easier to obtain (a testament to how much most players apparently dislike wvw, or the grind for the backpiece is even too much or both.)

Conversely, if the rewards are put too low, players achieve everything quick and then leave the game/mode. Which is just as bad as having rewards too high.

Do they have the magic numbers for base PIPS and Max tickets and rank requirements? Don’t know. But rushing into making a change isn’t the right thing to do either.

They should give some time for averages to come out so they don’t over correct.

in WvW

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Again, those that were turned off by the requirements were irrelevant to the game mode to begin with.

You don’t like the game mode? Don’t play it!

It is NOT a positive thing for the game mode to bring people who only care about the carrot. Once the carrot is gone, so will they. Get yourself a better motivation or just do not bother is my opinion.

I could understand if an equipment tier was denied to you this way, but it is not the case.

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Again, those that were turned off by the requirements were irrelevant to the game mode to begin with.

It is NOT a positive thing for the game mode to bring people who only care about the carrot. Once the carrot is gone, so will they. Get yourself a better motivation or just do not bother is my opinion.

I could understand if an equipment tier was denied to you this way, but it is not the case.

Really so people who try the game mode out and are enticed by the carrot are not relevent? By that logic then all advertising done by games is pointless and the following potential players they might gain are irrelevant as well. How do you think players who are initially enticed by reward turn into veteran players? without the reward they wouldn’t even know to show up nor would they be interested in showing up.

All I hear from vet wvw players is that “playing for rewards” is just wrong, plain wrong or completely wrong. I don’t think I need to remind players that half of the end game is obtaining skins or treasures and that some of the top complaints about wvw for years included 1) not enough rewards and 2) not enough players. I also dont know why my style of play is wrong, and have yet to hear a single explanation as to why playing the game for treasure or rewards is “incorrect.” (especially since i seem to do quite well in the prestige/shiny department which others seem to care about or envy).

Your also talking to someone who plays all game modes dependent solely upon what rewards are available (there are many others who do this as well, specifically those who play the trading post). As such I end up playing all modes of gw2. I would think that the type of person that anet is trying to attract to their game is the kind of player who engages in all game modes instead of just sticking to one. If that’s the case then the “treasure hunter” is the type of player they are looking for.

aka. “The Complainer”

(edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108)

in WvW

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Really so people who try the game mode out and are enticed by the carrot are not relevent? By that logic then all advertising done by games is pointless and the following potential players they might gain are irrelevant as well. How do you think players who are initially enticed by reward turn into veteran players? without the reward they wouldn’t even know to show up nor would they be interested in showing up.

All I hear from vet wvw players is that “playing for rewards” is just wrong, plain wrong or completely wrong. I don’t think I need to remind players that half of the end game is obtaining skins or treasures and that some of the top complaints about wvw for years included 1) not enough rewards and 2) not enough players. I also dont know why my style of play is wrong, and have yet to hear a single explanation as to why playing the game for treasure or rewards is “incorrect.” (especially since i seem to do quite well in the prestige/shiny department which others seem to care about or envy).

Your also talking to someone who plays all game modes dependent solely upon what rewards are available (there are many others who do this as well, specifically those who play the trading post). As such I end up playing all modes of gw2. I would think that the type of person that anet is trying to attract to their game is the kind of player who engages in all game modes instead of just sticking to one. If that’s the case then the “treasure hunter” is the type of player they are looking for.

If what is keeping players in this game mode is the external carrot, they will vanish the minute they get that carrot. They will also very likely play for the carrot before the good of the team too.

Yes, I do think these people are close to irrelevant to the survival of the game mode. It’s like putting a sheet of paper into a fire. It burns bright for a few seconds and then you have to put another, and another etc. We need solid logs, not sheets of paper.

BTW, I too play all game mode in this game. The only part where I have a problem with the reward and I feel forced to play is the raid because an exclusive tier of equipment, that would be useful for my main game mode, is locked behind it. Otherwise, I play because I like the game mode at the moment I play it. Otherwise, I do not play it at all/ I take a break.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

All I hear from vet wvw players is that “playing for rewards” is just wrong, plain wrong or completely wrong.

You can play for whatever reasons you like, at the end of the day. There’s nothing wrong with playing for rewards if you so choose. It’s your life and at the end of the day, it’s a video game, so you can do however you feel so long as it doesn’t hurt other people.

That said, it’s not a good position to try to bring to the table because it’s fundamentally self-destructive reasoning:
1. You play a game mode because it has rewards.
2. You stop playing the game mode because it has no more rewards for you.
Assume that the game is better when it has more players in it.
For what reason would ArenaNet ever shorten the gap between 1 and 2? By doing that, they are pushing you out of the game mode earlier, thereby reducing the player count, thereby making the game mode worse. Why would ArenaNet want to make their game worse?

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

All I hear from vet wvw players is that “playing for rewards” is just wrong, plain wrong or completely wrong.

You can play for whatever reasons you like, at the end of the day. There’s nothing wrong with playing for rewards if you so choose. It’s your life and at the end of the day, it’s a video game, so you can do however you feel so long as it doesn’t hurt other people.

That said, it’s not a good position to try to bring to the table because it’s fundamentally self-destructive reasoning:
For what reason would ArenaNet ever shorten the gap between 1 and 2? By doing that, they are pushing you out of the game mode earlier, thereby reducing the player count, thereby making the game mode worse. Why would ArenaNet want to make their game worse?

Dropping the requirement from 2000 to 1500 (with first piece at 1000) would entice more players because at present said carrot is just to far out of reach. Anyone who has 1000 levels has certainly shown their dedication to WvW (or karma training in the mists unfortunately, but that’s another topic).

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

Dropping the requirement from 2000 to 1500 (with first piece at 1000) would entice more players because at present said carrot is just to far out of reach. Anyone who has 1000 levels has certainly shown their dedication to WvW (or karma training in the mists unfortunately, but that’s another topic).

If you’re looking for short or medium term goals, T3 armor is not it. That’s the job of WvW skills from 1-1000, and T1/T2 armor and weapons.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

I think this outlines the whole difference between PvE and WvW players and/or their mindsets. For PVE players, it’s all about the rewards, which is why game companies struggle to pump new content into their games…new dungeons, new raids, new shinies, etc. It’s what keeps PvE players interested in playing. Once they’ve “won” the game by collecting all the rewards they can, they move on to a new game with more shinies. WvW players, on the other hand, are in it for the long haul…it’s the journey itself that is the reward, not the destination, which is why Anet threw out some carrots miles ahead of the horse rather than right in front of its nose. The horse would actually be happier with a smoother, level road to travel upon rather than with the carrot itself.

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

I think this outlines the whole difference between PvE and WvW players and/or their mindsets. For PVE players, it’s all about the rewards, which is why game companies struggle to pump new content into their games…new dungeons, new raids, new shinies, etc. It’s what keeps PvE players interested in playing. Once they’ve “won” the game by collecting all the rewards they can, they move on to a new game with more shinies. WvW players, on the other hand, are in it for the long haul…it’s the journey itself that is the reward, not the destination, which is why Anet threw out some carrots miles ahead of the horse rather than right in front of its nose. The horse would actually be happier with a smoother, level road to travel upon rather than with the carrot itself.

this could be true, I personally would like to see pve content that is challenging and possibly randomized to keep it fresh, all while awarding new rewards based on skill.

for wvw I hope they bring back tournaments, increase the rewards and making grinding for wxp easier. I also hope they add in new mechanics like gliding or make it so that you can maybe control a small army of npcs that assault area’s for you.

either way i think the reward system currently needs to be looked at as it dosent seem to be working as a carrot on a stick. I think the system is perfectly fine for vets but it leaves almost nothing for players starting or returning to the game mode.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Odinens.5920

Odinens.5920

Is the 2k rank minimum for the FINAL REWARDS gonna turn people off? Maybe,…probably..GOOD.

But it will give people that are dedicated to the game mode something to look forward to.

And it may encourage other people to try the game mode and realize they love it.

As such. I STRONGLY disagree with anyone attempting to lower the rank limit.

If this seems super out of hand for you and turns you off from the game mode. You weren’t going to stay there long anyway.

Really? From what I understand there was a way to cheese the system at launch of this game that allowed people to gain butt-tons of ranks.

I have said this before….I have only been playing WvW since around 2 weeks before the patch. I play 2-4 hours in there every night. It’s all I’ve been doing lately during my play time. In fact the only PvE I’ve been doing lately is to check the Pact Agents every day.

I’m pretty dedicated to WvW, and don’t see me leaving it for any significant amount of time in the near future. With that said, I am only rank 136! So, you’re telling me it’s fine that it’ll take me around 2 friggin years to obtain rank 2000 and the gear I’ll FINALLY be able to acquire?!? What’s the point? I can already make ascended gear in PvE and have already started crafting a PvE set (and I’ve only been playing this game for a few months). A few months compared to a 1.5+ years for a full set of T2 from WvW? How is that even remotely comparable?

The rewards are not reasonably obtainable for most players, and I hate to tell you, but if you guys were hoping this new system was going to bring a ton of new people to WvW, the obnoxious length of time it will take to get to these ranks will repulse rather than attract new people.

Good on you for all of you that have been dedicated to WvW for so long. It is……commendable. But don’t expect many newer players to become as dedicated as you with the reward system the way it is now.

in WvW

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

for wvw I hope they bring back tournaments, increase the rewards and making grinding for wxp easier. I also hope they add in new mechanics like gliding or make it so that you can maybe control a small army of npcs that assault area’s for you.

They will not bring back wvw tournament. After each of the tournament that we had in the past wvwer were burn out, so much that their was a permanent drop in the number of people playing wvw after each one. Also, the tournaments was not really a competition due to coverage. The winner was decided very early into the tournament except for the last one when the other t1 server team up against BG creating a fun reset but very boring match/tournament. Coverage and come-back mechanics are some of the reasons why tournaments are not competitive.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

in WvW

Posted by: Red Haired Savage.5430

Red Haired Savage.5430

Getting ranks isn’t difficult, with boosters I’ve gone up about 10-15 ranks in about 3 hours(roaming with guildies in a group of 5-10). At this rate you’d have your rank 2000 quicker than all the claim tickets you’d need, since those hard cap each week.

Isle of Janthir
Norn Warrior #nornmodeisbestmode

in WvW

Posted by: PabbyGaul.9682

PabbyGaul.9682

Wvwers and Pveers have different motivations. Some Pveers are closet wvwers and need an reason to be exposed to wvw. Rewards were one way of doing that and we have recruited many pveers who have learned that they like wvw. Most mmo players arent like that. They enjoy squishing 5 frogs and predictability and use that predictability to grind end game mobs for meaning. So regardless of what anet tries wvw will only ever appeal to about 2%. I am also curiousnto know if someone could describe the difference between grinding wvw and playing wvw.

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

I am also curiousnto know if someone could describe the difference between grinding wvw and playing wvw.

The only difference that ever exists in regards to whether something is grind or not is whether you’re having fun.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Is the 2k rank minimum for the FINAL REWARDS gonna turn people off? Maybe,…probably..GOOD.

But it will give people that are dedicated to the game mode something to look forward to.

And it may encourage other people to try the game mode and realize they love it.

As such. I STRONGLY disagree with anyone attempting to lower the rank limit.

If this seems super out of hand for you and turns you off from the game mode. You weren’t going to stay there long anyway.

Really? From what I understand there was a way to cheese the system at launch of this game that allowed people to gain butt-tons of ranks.

I have said this before….I have only been playing WvW since around 2 weeks before the patch. I play 2-4 hours in there every night. It’s all I’ve been doing lately during my play time. In fact the only PvE I’ve been doing lately is to check the Pact Agents every day.

I’m pretty dedicated to WvW, and don’t see me leaving it for any significant amount of time in the near future. With that said, I am only rank 136! So, you’re telling me it’s fine that it’ll take me around 2 friggin years to obtain rank 2000 and the gear I’ll FINALLY be able to acquire?!? What’s the point? I can already make ascended gear in PvE and have already started crafting a PvE set (and I’ve only been playing this game for a few months). A few months compared to a 1.5+ years for a full set of T2 from WvW? How is that even remotely comparable?

The rewards are not reasonably obtainable for most players, and I hate to tell you, but if you guys were hoping this new system was going to bring a ton of new people to WvW, the obnoxious length of time it will take to get to these ranks will repulse rather than attract new people.

Good on you for all of you that have been dedicated to WvW for so long. It is……commendable. But don’t expect many newer players to become as dedicated as you with the reward system the way it is now.

So there shouldn’t be any tears unique to getting high ranks in WvW because it takes too long for new players to get there? That’s just as bad as no rewards early enough in the ranks. Because the players get all of the rewards within the first 10% of the track and then have nothing to work for and may leave due to lack of rewards where they had been getting rewards previously.

in WvW

Sylvyn.4750

I am also curiousnto know if someone could describe the difference between grinding wvw and playing wvw.

The only difference that ever exists in regards to whether something is grind or not is whether you’re having fun.

I think of “grind” as more of a commitment that goes beyond just “playing” the game mode. For example, you are a Bronze soldier on a server that is in 3rd position and are earning only 2 pips per tick, but you decide you really want to get the ticket cap for the week, so you estimate the hours needed to earn that last chest and you put in those hours each day to reach that goal. That is a “grind”…it may still be fun, but you’re making a commitment to reach a goal. “Playing” on the other hand, is when you log on and play when you feel like it, and either log off when you’re tired or when it stops being fun, without any time commitment or real goal in mind other than enjoying the content and the camaraderie.

in WvW

Posted by: Odinens.5920

Odinens.5920

Sorry, I couldn’t explain myself better this morning. I was in a hurry trying to get ready for work. So, let me start by making this clear – I don’t have an issue with how long it takes, or the requirements to acquire the T3 gear. It’s just like the legendary gear…something I don’t plan on being able to get for a long time.

My complaint is regarding the T2 gear, and let me explain why -

Let’s look at what it takes to acquire 1 of the cheaper pieces -

1 – 2 gold; not a big deal. I think that’s actually kinda cheap
2 – 250 Memories of Battle; again not really a big deal. These are easy to get, and can even be purchased on the TP
3 – 175 WvW skirmish claim tickets; now we’re starting to get into one of the harder things to come by (see below)
4 – 3 Grandmaster Armorsmith Marks; this is my biggest complaint and the hardest to do (see below)

Skirmish Claim Tickets – being a new player to the game and even newer to WvW these are NOT as easy to get as veteran WvW players may assume. 1st, you have to spend your initial savings just to buy the recipe for the mark and THEN the recipe book to be able to get the mats to even make the mark (what kind of nonsense is that anyway?!?). You may ask why this is hard…..I’m rank 136, and have yet to get thru platinum. New players don’t get a whole lot of these claim tickets due to the nature of this almost non existent PIP acquisition low rank players receive.

Grandmaster Armorsmith Marks – This is my biggest complaint regarding this system;

1st – you have to have a crafting profession high enough to make these. Now, a lot of you will say “well that’s not hard to do,” and I agree with you, BUT it takes a lot of gold, mats, and time to do. Guess what that means – you now have to spend time doing stuff outside WvW to get to that level, and do you know what THAT means? That means new people won’t be able to spend the time in WvW acquiring those already previously mentioned almost non-existent skirmish claim tickets.

2nd – ok, so you’ve gotten armorsmith to 500 and can make ascended gear….YAY! But wait, let’s look at what it takes to make the marks now……wait a second! Are you seriously telling me that making regular ascended gear and making the T2 ascended gear from WvW share the same time gated account bound mats?!? Guess what…..now you have to decide which route to go. So ok, let’s decide – new WvW player comes in able to make ascended gear, which let’s face it IS a goal for most people, and figures out that the obnoxious amount of time it takes to be able to acquire a full set from WvW is probably at least double what it would take to make a normal ascended set….hmmmmm, wonder which route they’ll take.

Anet needs to change this. I don’t agree with making them a crafted item, and if they have to be then introduce a WvW crafting mat specifically for the gear, or something. The way it is now is pointless, and it will turn players away from WvW, which I’m guessing is the opposite of what they were hoping for.

Keep in mind, this is from a new player perspective. You guys that have been here from the start I’m pretty sure don’t have to worry about this stuff.

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

Few things I’ve got to counter in this post. For the most part I agree with the rest of it but this in particular is a major issue. The only other thing worth noting is that you don’t need to pay the skirmish tickets to get the refinement patterns at all; you can do spvp or fractals for those patterns.

1st – you have to have a crafting profession high enough to make these. Now, a lot of you will say “well that’s not hard to do,” and I agree with you, BUT it takes a lot of gold, mats, and time to do. Guess what that means – you now have to spend time doing stuff outside WvW to get to that level, and do you know what THAT means? That means new people won’t be able to spend the time in WvW acquiring those already previously mentioned almost non-existent skirmish claim tickets.

It doesn’t actually take a lot of gold or materials, in the grand scheme of things, to maximize your crafting skills considering the nature of the investment. To completely max out a profession hovers between 40 and 100 gold; the expensive ones are for weapons, not armor. Assuming that you are only clearing your dailies, for an Armorsmith or Tailor, that’s only 20 days worth of clearing dailies and no other sources of income.
We have to keep in mind that this investment is something that every player who intends to get the best gear in their play mode will need to do, including raiders who need it for their legendary armor, and that the investment presents a profit opportunity by processing the materials for sale.

2nd – ok, so you’ve gotten armorsmith to 500 and can make ascended gear….YAY! But wait, let’s look at what it takes to make the marks now……wait a second! Are you seriously telling me that making regular ascended gear and making the T2 ascended gear from WvW share the same time gated account bound mats?!? Guess what…..now you have to decide which route to go. So ok, let’s decide – new WvW player comes in able to make ascended gear, which let’s face it IS a goal for most people, and figures out that the obnoxious amount of time it takes to be able to acquire a full set from WvW is probably at least double what it would take to make a normal ascended set….hmmmmm, wonder which route they’ll take.

Firstly, as far as raw daily requirements go: they are extremely similar, if not equal, in timegating.
Secondly, the nature of the stat-select gear gives them massive advantages in which costs you get to ignore. You are paying large amounts of raw primary materials but for several key WvW sets, particularly Trailblazer’s, you aren’t paying obscene amounts of money to get the Maguuma Lilies you need. You dodge timegating on Celestial and other Charged Quartz-requiring patterns.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Sylvyn.4750

You dodge timegating on Celestial and other Charged Quartz-requiring patterns.

I did a full Celestial set for my Ele…that was brutal…never again! Of course, now I have my heart set on Minstrel’s…and with those freshwater pearl drop rates and/or cost on the TP, maybe Celestial wasn’t so bad after all…

in WvW

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

a grind is a grind is a grind. One person enjoys it, another hates it, doesn’t really matter how you feel about it its still a grind. Rank 1000 is a huge grind. Rank 2000 is egregious. I dunno why it cant be made more reasonable. Figure out another way to reward wvw vets rather then gating rewards behind insane grind and holding it out like a carrot on a stick.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

a grind is a grind is a grind. One person enjoys it, another hates it, doesn’t really matter how you feel about it its still a grind. Rank 1000 is a huge grind. Rank 2000 is egregious. I dunno why it cant be made more reasonable. Figure out another way to reward wvw vets rather then gating rewards behind insane grind and holding it out like a carrot on a stick.

It’s called entitlement. It keeps getting thrown around a lot by people who don’t want it lowered. Thew sad truth though most of the defenders already are above the required rank and they feel entitled to getting the linked rewards to rank sooner then others.

How did the vast majority of people gain their ranks, via eotm, bandwagoning and k-train. The amount of people that are going to admit this though won’t be very high.

The current setup is simply bad and does very little to actually get more people playing longterm. I see queues dropping a bit each day and by the end of summer it will be back to pre reward update.

in WvW

Posted by: SweetPotato.7456

SweetPotato.7456

No, you want, you work for it and dont be leecing pip idling.

Guild Wars 2 Forever

in WvW

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

It’s called entitlement. It keeps getting thrown around a lot by people who don’t want it lowered. Thew sad truth though most of the defenders already are above the required rank and they feel entitled to getting the linked rewards to rank sooner then others.

How did the vast majority of people gain their ranks, via eotm, bandwagoning and k-train. The amount of people that are going to admit this though won’t be very high.

The current setup is simply bad and does very little to actually get more people playing longterm. I see queues dropping a bit each day and by the end of summer it will be back to pre reward update.

Its not entitlement is about making sure it is rare. Around 10% of wvwer will be able to hit 2k rank within a reasonable time and 3% have that rank (https://gw2efficiency.com/account/statistics/statistics.wvwRank). The prestige t3 armor is not for new players why should everyone be able to easily get it? The Warbringer for the casual players not the prestige armor. Beside they are other pve armor set that glow as well like the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Luminescent_armor or the gemstore https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ice_Encasement_Outfit.

None of the wvwer I know of consider Eotm wvw, they never go their. Wvw guilds and roamers gained their ranks from playing the game. Wvwer had years to gain their rank now that rank means something instead of having 1800 extra wxp pt to spend on nothing. Players that went to Eotm was for karma for legendaries, because wvw was not profitable back then. Most of the wxp level I have gained on a weekly basis are not from K-train, but from a mix of 10% K-train, 20% zerging and 70% roaming.

The new reward system seems to be set-up for the long run. Give some of the older wvw a long term goal. Giving us a something to say I spent most of my time in wvw.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF