MMORPG Live Forum Q&A With Devon (WvW Only!)

in WvW

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Haven’t seen this mentioned yet in here, so I figured I’d post it.

Just announced today on their twitter:

#News | Guild Wars 2: Live Forum Q&A With ArenaNet’s Devon Carver (WvW Only!): Join us tomorrow at 5PM ET in our… http://dlvr.it/45y1cm

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/loadNews/28737/Live-Forum-QA-With-ArenaNets-Devon-Carver-WvW-Only
I’m not sure of the exact thread you need to go to on MMORPG though…

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Haven’t seen this mentioned yet in here, so I figured I’d post it.

Just announced today on their twitter:

#News | Guild Wars 2: Live Forum Q&A With ArenaNet’s Devon Carver (WvW Only!): Join us tomorrow at 5PM ET in our… http://dlvr.it/45y1cm

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/loadNews/28737/Live-Forum-QA-With-ArenaNets-Devon-Carver-WvW-Only
I’m not sure of the exact thread you need to go to on MMORPG though…

Now THIS should be interesting …

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Sneak Peak:

The vision for WvW is:
1. More siege – moooaar
2. Less balanced fights – More orbs!
3. Less balanced match ups – Welcome to leagues!
4. Server stacking – More gems!

in WvW

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

Here’s an idea folks. Maybe if we ask questions with some measure of civility instead of just trying to bash him about our complaints , we MIGHT get some answers?

And maybe, just maybe if we aren’t openly hostile all the time he might continue posting in this forum with the regularity that he used to?

C’mon people. This is an opportunity. Don’t blow it.

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

in WvW

Posted by: Luvpie.8350

Luvpie.8350

Here’s an idea folks. Maybe if we ask questions with some measure of civility instead of just trying to bash him about our complaints , we MIGHT get some answers?

And maybe, just maybe if we aren’t openly hostile all the time he might continue posting in this forum with the regularity that he used to?

Here are the answers.

Please deal with Server pop?
We know server pop is a issue we are thinking about some ideas. When we have something concrete we will let people know.

Are you open to taking out Orbs?
Our metrics indicate that orbs are a great mechanic and people love fighting for orbs and it adds a fun aspect to wvw. Orbs are staying.

WvW rewards?
Leagues will increase rewards in wvw with new achievements. Rewards will be tied to whichever server you start the season with.

Season 1 please stop leagues.
We are open to suggestions and feedback during season 1 and will adjust season 2 if needed. We need season 1 to give us data.

This class is op that class is op.
We are balancing classes in the upcoming match and wvw is a priority for us.

Orbs have ruined GvG and open field fighting, do you agree?
GvG did violate my game mode so I violated the game mode back. Now we are even.

Apply @ Fang-Gaming.US
Follow @twitch.tv/Luvpie

in WvW

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

Can the “I am not satisfied with this game”-posts get even lamer? I don’t like the direction WvW took either. But the attitude of the majority in this forum just made me not interested in any of the complaints any more. Luckily I am not a developer, cuz I would simply ignore such a “fan”-base.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in WvW

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

Here are the answers.

We know server pop is a issue we are thinking about some ideas. When we have something concrete we will let people know.

Our metrics indicate that orbs are a great mechanic and people love fighting for orbs and it adds a fun aspect to wvw. Orbs are staying.

WvW rewards?
Leagues will increase rewards in wvw with new achievements. Rewards will be tied to whichever server you start the season with.

We are open to suggestions and feedback during season 1 and will adjust season 2 if needed. We need season 1 to give us data.

Justin_timberlake_cry_me_a_river.mp4

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

in WvW

Posted by: Gamadorn.2670

Gamadorn.2670

Can the “I am not satisfied with this game”-posts get even lamer? I don’t like the direction WvW took either. But the attitude of the majority in this forum just made me not interested in any of the complaints any more. Luckily I am not a developer, cuz I would simply ignore such a “fan”-base.

Of course you would, you couldn’t hack the criticism.

I would agree with civility if I felt the development team was acutely aware of the WvW needs and were working hard towards fixes.

The fact of the matter is the issues that have plagued WvW have been brought up numerous times “politely” and were subsequently dismissed as crap. Then the issues continue to plague the game and more and more people post the same things “nicely” over and over, offering recommendation after recommendation and ideas to fix things etc….once again…..ignored and dismissed as a “minority.”

I’m all for being civil and trying to get developers to see the things we see, but when you try that and it’s blatantly ignored for so long people tend to get a little hostile lol

The answer is not to leave the game either….I enjoy GW2 and I do think its a good game, it’s just frustrating the level of dismissal the development team has had for good suggestions that have been put in for the past year…

Dragonbrand
Underwater Operations – [WET]

in WvW

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Interesting, but you have the cause and effect reversed. You assume that Devon’s apathy is a result of the forums’ hostility.

The total disregard for the feedback WvW players have tried to offer in these forums is the cause, and the open hostility is the effect.

in WvW

Posted by: meep.2601

meep.2601

this has disappointment written all over it

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

He should have had a discussion with the playerbase long before “Leagues” and buffs were announced. “hey guys what do you think about leagues, pros and cons…?”

At present it’s way late in the game to do anything as there would be a huge player revolt demanding transfer fee refunds if leagues are changed drastically or shelved altogether from what was announced.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

I don’t think anything of measure is actually going to be leaked. I’ll still check it out or the tail end of it when i get off work. But not putting my hopes up, I don’t know what they could possibly say that would give me any idea whether or not or how my server would fair with the coming leagues.

Will see.

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

The only good answer he can give would be: I’m stepping down here is my replacement.

He is simply not up to the task.

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Interesting, but you have the cause and effect reversed. You assume that Devon’s apathy is a result of the forums’ hostility.

The total disregard for the feedback WvW players have tried to offer in these forums is the cause, and the open hostility is the effect.

You’re the one viewing things in reverse, the hostility was here long before Devon took his position.

so much so that when Devon did take the position, everyone here was super nice to him and kept posting how happy they were to see WvW under a new lead, especially one that was more visible in the forums…that lasted about 2 weeks.

and then everyone went back to berating and insulting him constantly, just like they had been doing before. He quickly saw what interacting with this community got the devs and wisely chose to cut down on his participation, as any sane human would.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by GrandmaFunk.3052)

in WvW

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

I am arround since release and before. I have seen not much being nice. Of corse ppl are frustrated, when they have the feeling, their concerns are being ignored. But the attitude from some (well, quite a few) forum users is just painfull to see. Their nice is my worst…

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Here are the answers.

WvW rewards?

This is scary good.

in WvW

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I don’t expect much from it, and its not even cause its Devon (who I don’t have a problem with). Its just going to be typical Anet answers, “We can’t talk about it right now”, “Anythings possible”, etc.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in WvW

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

I don’t expect much from it, and its not even cause its Devon (who I don’t have a problem with). Its just going to be typical Anet answers, “We can’t talk about it right now”, “Anythings possible”, etc.

or their most popular response…..“soon”

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in WvW

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

Here are the answers.

WvW rewards?

+100

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

in WvW

Hexin.5603

Luvpie just saved me time.

We should compare this threads guesses with the actual q&a and see if or how close it will be.

is there anything game breaking at the moment? Like the cracks in the tower gates people can slip through … is that resolved yet?

What about the quaggan, someone has gotta ask a quaggan question.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

or their most popular response…..“soon”

Exactly, I hope they prove me wrong but I expect alot of dancing around the question at hand while never really answering it.

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

Here are the answers.

WvW rewards?

lol, Luvpie for pres.

Q&A’s, we will carefully ignore all well reasoned input from players, while obfuscating answers to direct questions in as few words as possible.

in WvW

Khalic.3561

How do you suggest they handle this? Survey players and only allow a set amount of people who describe themselves as WvWers on any one server? You can’t directly control a server’s population besides putting a cap on it, and you can’t determine what the players on that server will choose to do.

They have created incentives to move away from the high pop servers. Believe it or not leagues do encourage people to move to the upper servers of the silver and bronze leagues at least. And if you noticed, transfers to medium and low pop servers are free right before the leagues begin.

There is literally nothing they can do beyond incentives like that if the players themselves insist on stacking the zergiest servers.

They have mentioned that changes to the mechanic are on the table. People can mock all they want, but iteration is a good way to figure out what works best. We have the bloodlust buff in its current form now, but I don’t expect it remain that way. I also doubt it will be removed entirely.

The reception to the new ruins has, in general, been positive. Just like every other area on the map though, there needs to be some incentive to go there. That means that the reward for capturing the points needs to be significant. Maybe base stat boosts aren’t the way to go, but it does need to me major enough that people will fight for it.

WvW rewards?

That’s true, and we just got an update that gives chests at the end of a matchup depending on how well you did. Will they be enough to satisfy anyone? We’ll have to see. If not, changes can be made from there.

I don’t know why this seems so ridiculous to people. Once again, if the best is going to be made of the system then we need to go through it once and find out what needs to be changed.

Yes, server populations are going to create some imbalanced matches. Though hardly much worse than the current random matchups with NA now being split into 3 leagues.

If you’ll recall, people asked for more variety in their matchups. Now they complain about imbalance that they’re fighting more than the same 4 servers.

GvG is not WvW. It takes place in WvW for the time being, and that’s fine. However, there is no reason to specifically alter what really is a separate gamemode in order to accommodate it. The fact that they might do so with an arena in the obsidian sanctum is encouraging however.

Personally I think it’s ridiculous for anyone to think that ANet has this vendetta against the gamemode that they themselves created. I believe it will be implemented eventually, but as it’s own separate entity.

As a side note, GvG has by no means been ruined. They’re still going on if you haven’t noticed. We’re doing one tonight on BP.

Try to remember that we are getting changes. WvW is getting some attention here and it will be best for everyone if we try to work with the devs rather than against them.

in WvW

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

this has disappointment written all over it

Gotta go with this.
It’s called corporation-creep. It’s in everything we consume these days. Even if Devon WANTED to give us more truthful answers, it’s just not considered “professional” by his superiors for him to give us anything but recyled talking points that make no real promises. Words are cheap but commitment can cost millions.

in WvW

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

I think I’ll pass. I have seen his replies of “we are considering changes but not ETA” too many times. No need to hear them again.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

My expectations are so low they’re next to dinosaur bones.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Hexin.5603

1. GvG is not WvW. It takes place in WvW for the time being, and that’s fine. However, there is no reason to specifically alter what really is a separate gamemode in order to accommodate it. The fact that they might do so with an arena in the obsidian sanctum is encouraging however.

2. Personally I think it’s ridiculous for anyone to think that ANet has this vendetta against the gamemode that they themselves created. I believe it will be implemented eventually, but as it’s own separate entity.

….

3. Try to remember that we are getting changes. WvW is getting some attention here and it will be best for everyone if we try to work with the devs rather than against them.

Sorry had to chop it to format for ease.

1. It’s always good to have these supportive threads we generally have been having every week for the past half year about GvG’s. It’s really something that, while being a percentage to Anet, is actually sought after and can help there company grow. they likely have some technical difficulties with the things which would be player controlled versus pre packaged. Guild halls comes to mind. Presently Anet has the ability to grow and shrink there arena’s based on certain factors. Guild halls opens so many more instances which are not really dynamic, and come with a cost over time. Times have changed though. And i think there are a number of options on the table to help with the cost. It’s the development and implementation which need to occur.

2. No one directly believes that, it’s just people expressing feelings on forums. If i invented the wheel, then decided to go swimming, but you all want wheels for your cars, meanwhile I’m telling you to get in the pool the water is warm… it still doesn’t help that you don’t have a wheel for your car, no matter how nice the water is.

3. Full support this. WvW is getting attention, cool. We don’t actually work with the devs, we write on the forums where devs browse and cautiously answer. For the most part they are working hard, and likely playing there games of choice, including guildwars 2, or hell maybe even guildwars 1. Maybe even GvG’ing in GW1. … Nah to come to think of it, they likely are not doing the latter.

Suggestions to Devon, talk with the team to make some sort of write up about the future if any of GvG. Even if its not what we want to hear. Players want to hear something, or go find another game that offers that mode.

Then we can differentiate WvW and GvG and sPvP. Read the sig, bring in some game modes… and slap it together in abox, coupled with the content of the surrounding ‘closed off maps’. Expansion.

Love the progress updates the game is getting … but really want to know how WvW servers can be equally graded when it’s (for example)

JQ vs SoS vs SoR (really SoS not having any shot in this, or can you explain how that server has a valid shot at winning versus 24/7 coverage?)

~ X

in WvW

Posted by: Kalan.9705

Kalan.9705

Wrong way around, you put the cart before the horse. It was ignoring the fanbase that lead to the hostility in the forums.

in WvW

Posted by: Kalan.9705

Kalan.9705

E.g.

Players: “we’d like more balanced matches and balancing mechanics, so we have more fun”

Anet: “We want les balanced matches, and snowball blowout mechanics so we get more transfer gems”

in WvW

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

Sorry but if youo think people on the forum have treated the devs with respect and civilty until your cries of anguish was ignored then you are lying to yourself or only visited the forums to post something negative after you and your buddies chatted out in voip.

The problem is people seem to think their 60 bux or whatever they spent to buy the game with entitle them to say and do whatever they want. They straight out just demand things, and throw out ideas that “will” work and if it isn’t followed they throw a tantrum and point out cherry picked facts that “back them up”. It’s easy to do so because if the devs listen to one idea, it would definitely be counter productive of another person’s idea, and when that happens athe other group jumps and and starts yelling and screaming. The noise level might make it look like it’s a big deal, but when you actually take a peak in the room, you’ll realize it’s only a handfull of kids, all that’s left to do is close the door and let them tire themselves out.

[DONE]

in WvW

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

I’m not going to be around a computer tomorrow for the live QA session. Anybody want to be a pal and post this to Devon for me? It’s a proposal to balance league play.

http://youtu.be/qHcO6Xo8eJ8

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Problem is that www is fundamentally broken. It’s just isn’t fun to play like it should be played. Well it could be fun if all server would play right way, but it never happen.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

(edited by Junkpile.7439)

in WvW

Khalic.3561

I’m not going to be around a computer tomorrow for the live QA session. Anybody want to be a pal and post this to Devon for me? It’s a proposal to balance league play.

That’s a pretty interesting idea, teaming up servers like that.

in WvW

Posted by: Konrad Curze.5130

Konrad Curze.5130

E.g.

Players: “we’d like more balanced matches and balancing mechanics, so we have more fun”

Anet: “We want les balanced matches, and snowball blowout mechanics so we get more transfer gems”

pretty much this all the way

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I bet this will be one big reiteration of already said stuff.

in WvW

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

This looks really interesting. I bet that Arena Net is interested (not really, lower transfer sales) in the idea but it’s not something that will happen overnight because of technical issues (like separate resets). Meanwhile they will collect data (like with the changes to contested objectives) from the upcoming season and (not) make adjustments accordingly.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

Wrong way around, you put the cart before the horse. It was ignoring the fanbase that lead to the hostility in the forums.

Indeed. It was because before the game was out they were like “we want to hear your ideas and do something with it”, “we’re doing this for YOU, because we love you so much (obviously fake, since it’s a business)” and “we want you to be able to play the game the way you want to, not the way we want you to”.

I think a big chunk of the community agrees that they failed on some big promises.

For me to say I’m not satisfied is odd, because I generally don’t like mmo’s. So the fact that I am actually kinda enjoying an mmorpg here for me is amazing. It could be way better, and I expected something different/better after watching/reading about the game for years, but it’s still better than what I was used to before.

Regarding any Q&A where they give vague answers, that’s common in the industry. It’s worse to say “we are working on XYZ and it will be released 2 months from now, here are the details how it will work” and fail to deliver, than say “we are working on something like this, but we will keep you informed”.

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

in WvW

Posted by: Grav.3568

Grav.3568

How do you suggest they handle this? Survey players and only allow a set amount of people who describe themselves as WvWers on any one server? You can’t directly control a server’s population besides putting a cap on it, and you can’t determine what the players on that server will choose to do.

They have created incentives to move away from the high pop servers. Believe it or not leagues do encourage people to move to the upper servers of the silver and bronze leagues at least. And if you noticed, transfers to medium and low pop servers are free right before the leagues begin.

There is literally nothing they can do beyond incentives like that if the players themselves insist on stacking the zergiest servers.

Of course there is. Cut map player capacity in half, problem solved.

in WvW

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Of course there is. Cut map player capacity in half, problem solved.

And other 3 created.

I said elsewhere, i’ll say it again: cutting the map capacity in half would actually be, on paper, a good solution to some issues (namely blobbing and skill lag). But cutting in half the wvw cap would make queques skyrocket. Now, i agree that something must be done about server stacking going wild. But this solution would simply kill off server spefic communities. And that would be more harm than good in the long run.
SFR, my server, suffered a huge hit back in March cause bandwagoners from lower tiers had a free transfers window while we were 1st ranked server. Now Piken is getting the same. You know what happened when queques doubled suddendly due to this? Server and community nearly died. Now, just imagine what cutting in half the cap for every server would do. And you’re mistaken if you think only top stacked servers have ques.

Also, it would look like a very low blow from Anet in order to gather gems: first push ppl to stack with leagues, then push them to destack by cutting numbers, Transfers, Transfers, Transfers.

My suggestion would be yes, cut in half the BL (no, not EB – yet) cap.
Then double the amount of BLs.
Overall numbers for server in WvW stay the same, but the players will spread much more cause the’re double the field for the same amount of ppl.
This will not solve stacking issues, i know. But there is little to solve as long as PPT is what matters in wvw.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in WvW

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Summary of the interview: we have a lot of ideas for wvw to take it forward and are actively working on these whilst at the same time addressing issues the players have raised and taking all these into consideration. However realistically wvw is at the bottom of the pile as far as resources are concerned and all ‘balance’ issues are solely directed at our beloved epic fail esport ‘spvp’ but I’m not allowed to tell you that so instead we’ll make wvw more like spvp whilst pretending we don’t mind people playing alts whilst shafting anyone who does.

Oh, and some more ‘masteries’ to add to the pile.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

when and where can i see this?

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

well i cruised around the subforum for the Q&A post..
and all i found was this banner.. :S

Doesn’t start til 5edt

Isle Of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

6 would be better. I get off at exactly 5.

in WvW

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

Whats the time for this in GMT?

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

in WvW

Posted by: Techst.8671

Techst.8671

Whats wrong with gw2 twitch channel?. All the other devs for Spvp/Pve. Even the art devs do Q&A through http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/profile

Where is Hugh Norfolk there was rumor he was moved to spvp team. Its not possible for devon to stream a Q&A on twitch. WvW is only Q&A being done from forum why?.

Seems like less devs or care for wvw these days.

Schutt (Schett) The Shadows [TA]
Team Aggression
Retired Red Guard

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

The Q&A have begun.

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Ask him why he doesn’t do a Q&A on this forum instead of the backalley of the guildwarsinterwebs ^^

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in WvW

Posted by: meep.2601

meep.2601

so far so terrible

in WvW

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Actually a few good things so far:-

Going to get ascended backpacks in WvW, within next 2 months.

From 15th Oct ranking chests will have better loot.

in WvW

Posted by: Luvpie.8350

Luvpie.8350

Actually a few good things so far:-

Going to get ascended backpacks in WvW, within next 2 months.

From 15th Oct ranking chests will have better loot.

chests. He might mean the achievement weekly chests from winning the match and not the wxp rank chests.

Apply @ Fang-Gaming.US
Follow @twitch.tv/Luvpie