Make Bloodlust inversely proportional?

in WvW

Posted by: Dashwood.3215

Dashwood.3215

So… how about this:

Make Bloodlust give no bonus to the team with the biggest number of players, but a huge boost to a team with a smaller number of players. That way it’s worth the losing teams fighting to get it, and makes the winning team have to split their forces to stop them or risk losing the advantage of numbers they already have. Basically make it an anti-zerg boost.

Preserves balance, makes it useful, and people are happy… well, at least two out of three anyway ;-)

Thoughts?

in WvW

Posted by: OptimistPrime.9283

OptimistPrime.9283

Been suggested before in a topic, but in all honesty, this is the BEST idea that could ever come from Bloodlust. I agree 100%.

Top population gets no rewards, but has to protect it so others do not get rewards
Middle population get little rewards. Just a tiny boost. Maybe +25 points instead of +50.
Lower population gets most rewards. Enough to combat outnumbered. +50 points bloodlust

However, I think it should only combat outnumbered, not make up for it. If a server has a low population, it shouldn’t win due to bloodlust. It should just get enough of a boost to make it a bit of a threat.

Darkhaven’s giant purple cat thief thing

(edited by OptimistPrime.9283)

in WvW

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

Great idea. Fully support.

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

YES

Finally. Its been suggested, but was ignored and burred on the forum.
This is the only way where the buffs can help.
Of course there is no chance in Underworld that Dev would listen to this.

in WvW

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Can the server handle more calculations given skill lag complaints?

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in WvW

OptimistPrime.9283

Can the server handle more calculations given skill lag complaints?

This is a good question, though I am not sure why it can’t piggy-back off of the already implemented “outmanned” buff.

Though I know nothing of coding and lag, so I could be very wrong.

in WvW

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Well, I do know something about programming. This calculation would have to constantly recalculate based on the people on the field and dynamically update stats on some time period. In other words, it would probably have to recalculate everything stat related on every frame for every player. Unless someone could figure out a clever way to simplify the number of calculations required.

If I remember right, there are computational difficulties with ranger pets recoginizing aoe and then reacting to it in real time. Pretty sure a dev commented on that. So ANET is working under some tight technological contraints with this game. Also, they came out and said maps size and borderland populations cannot increase for similar technical constraints.

Not a bad idea, really, I’m just looking at it from another perspective

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in WvW

OptimistPrime.9283

Well, I do know something about programming. This calculation would have to constantly recalculate based on the people on the field and dynamically update stats on some time period. In other words, it would probably have to recalculate everything stat related on every frame for every player. Unless someone could figure out a clever way to simplify the number of calculations required.

If I remember right, there are computational difficulties with ranger pets recoginizing aoe and then reacting to it in real time. Pretty sure a dev commented on that. So ANET is working under some tight technological contraints with this game. Also, they came out and said maps size and borderland populations cannot increase for similar technical constraints.

Not a bad idea, really, I’m just looking at it from another perspective

To be completely honest, I appreciate your perspective immensely. It is a voice that is very needed in these grandiose idea topics.

Since outmanned adds a few buffs not based around stats, would the stress be lightened if the stats granted by Bloodlust under this new system were simplified as well?

For example: If instead of all stats, just say… toughness and vit?

Or would that be still an extraneous point to the amount of strain?

in WvW

Dashwood.3215

OK, make it simpler: whichever world is in the lead gets no buffs from Bloodlust. Second place world gets small buff (say+25), last place world gets big buff (say +50). Enough to keep the game interesting for everyone basically.

That way the server doesn’t have to recalculate the team sizes every few minutes, just look at whichever place your team is in and decide from that.

I like the idea of just adding a bigger buff to Toughness and Vitality if that keeps it simpler too. At least then the losing team aren’t going to get facerolled completely but have a chance to get a few extra shots in to keep things fun even while they are losing.

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

Good idea. It might actually make it much more interesting even in closer match ups.
Of course in the end they need to address the population differences and coverage imbalance for any buffs to help in any meaningful way.

Still, its better than what we have now.

in WvW

Dashwood.3215

Hadn’t thought about what it would do in close matches, but yes, you’re right. It would make holding those points absolutely vital in those cases.

in WvW

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

This would be a positive change.

Although they don’t have the numbers to fight the zergs even with the added stats, they would gain advantage when roaming and in small scaled fights, increasing the odds and actually making it more even…

… as long as ANet finds smoother calculations, avoiding lag.

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

The outmanned buff defiantly needs to do something that helps to combat the situation of being outmanned and facing an enemy with 3 stacks of Bloodlust and no ability to break it off them. This solution sounds as good as any and might help ANET with their concern about keeping players from acting negatively when more join the map to wipe the outmanned buff out. Something will have to change and it would be better if that changed happened as quickly as possible. I don’t even play in an unbalanced match-up, just in off peak hours and that alone is enough to know it does not work as currently designed, can’t imagine how much more clear that must be in most of the other match-ups out there.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

The thing is a lot of people don’t even want a stat increase.

in WvW

Posted by: Drys.4018

Drys.4018

I disagree. I think people would like the stat buff in this fashion. It helps the underdog hold out in defenses and helps give a challenge to the larger force (making it more fun to play).

I mentioned this in another post and didn’t realize this was already brought up.

You could have brackets and brackets for team size disparities. Update periodically rather than continuous to avoid excessive calculation cost? You’re really only calculating the delta for the the teams – its only a few calculations. The update to stats would be like the zerg walking into a buffed keep.

in WvW

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

I can probably speak for my entire servers roamers and wvw guilds. We don’t want a stat buff.

in WvW

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

I don’t think the idea will work though it’s in the right direction.

This means every player that enters the zone and does not contribute directly (farming the daily, doing jumping puzzles, idle conversation) becomes an instant liability to his server. This might create greater hostility between organized PPT players and casuals – a big no no in Anet’s book.

What I would suggest instead is:

1. Give players and NPCs the stat buff while inside their 3rd (home turf) of the map. Dying in your home turf has a reduced chance to break armor.

2. The center region with the Ruins of Power is counted as it’s own territory. The server that holds them gets the stat buff for that center territory. The other buffs are global (finishing bonus, gold/karma/mf/wxp increase).

This naturally helps undermanned servers because they are always backed up to their own 3rd of the map. Reduced chance to break armor means undermanned players aren’t punished so hard for taking risks. Holding the center region maintains relevancy because it now increases karma/mf/gold…who doesn’t want that lol.

(edited by NornBearPig.9814)

in WvW

Posted by: Epic.3950

Epic.3950

what about the even fights that are taking place when the mega zerg is elsewhere? the orbs are still giving team A a massive advantage over team B when neither of them wants the advantage or disadvantage. they want a fair fight.

in WvW

Posted by: Drys.4018

Drys.4018

The side with more people is more likely to have someone walk by and spoil your fight…

in WvW

Posted by: Kalan.9705

Kalan.9705

Would be a big improvement to what we got.