Make Commander cost badges, not gold

in WvW

Posted by: illutian.7630

illutian.7630

I’d rather Commander be account-wide. It’s utterly stupid that a player has be play his/her Commander in WvW, whose probably lvl 80, instead of an alt…that may even be 80.

The only reason this doesn’t happen is because ArenaNet wants you to spend money on Gems to accelerate the purchase of additional books…..right now it’s $150 in Gems to buy a Commander book (100g?) Gems right now 1g 64s per 100. $50 USD gets you 4000; or 40 turn-ins @ 100 gems per turn in. That’s ~40g per 4000 Gems.

Don’t think they don’t know at least a handful will fund the Book with gems.

Main: illutian Kade
Server: Borlis Pass
Guild: Midgard Protectorate

in WvW

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

That’s the entire reason I hate how Commander’s get their rank…. It is bought with gold which to most people comes from gems which they get from pouring into this game. It should change but it won’t because it is most likely a HUGE supplement to ANet’s income simply because of the amount of commanders you have per server and the amount of servers there are. Now I am not saying that ALL commanders buy their books with Money>Gems>Gold some might actually farm… but that is ALOT of farming and most people won’t have that kind of gold in game. It should change to achievements related to WvW (especially capturing/defending structures not killing people).

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

That’s the entire reason I hate how Commander’s get their rank…. It is bought with gold which to most people comes from gems which they get from pouring into this game. It should change but it won’t because it is most likely a HUGE supplement to ANet’s income simply because of the amount of commanders you have per server and the amount of servers there are. Now I am not saying that ALL commanders buy their books with Money>Gems>Gold some might actually farm… but that is ALOT of farming and most people won’t have that kind of gold in game. It should change to achievements related to WvW (especially capturing/defending structures not killing people).

It is actually really easy to get 100g in game without gems.
In the first few months after launch, I’d dare to say it was easier (Which was when I’d bought mine. Took me about 3 days to make 100g),
But it is still not a challenge.

If anyone actually paid dollars for Commander (I know they’re out there), I would say they’re very lazy and wasted their money.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: airstu.2579

airstu.2579

Should….should could mean so many things. All this argument about badges vs gold (as is) and the best answer I get is “should have more experience”. There’s no guarantee. And on that you are perfectly clear. Until they actually change the functionality the current system is as good as any other. We hope they should know enough abut WvW to use the tag effectively.

Calisto – NSP BPTCBP
Dictator for Life
Shiverpeaks Search and Rescue [Lost]

in WvW

Posted by: Besetment.9187

Besetment.9187

Nope, because making bars go up as quickly and efficiently as possible is also farming. See title grinding in GW1. Gold is transferable. There is no need to grind anything.

Acknowledgement is earned long before you get the donations for an icon anyway. II can already observe a couple of future WvW commanders on my server. I’m not sure if they realize it yet but they already do the things that are important and are de facto leaders. Why? Alot of people on my server know who they are and listen to them intently. You don’t ever see them talking shop, seeking validation, navigating around their own ego. Every time you go into WvW, they are starting something (or finishing something) that matters.

They could take cmd icons out of the game entirely for all I care. We used to do it without icons all the time and we can do it again.

in WvW

Posted by: HellionOfEvil.7963

HellionOfEvil.7963

I like the idea of the achievement system being used to obtain a “NEW WvW Commander Icon and Title” and it should require the individual complete a set of the WvW accomplishments to obtain it.

I also support the same with regards to PvE, in other words I don’t think that anyone should be able to buy the Commander icon at all, it should be earned.

My main reason in saying this is that people can use the icon to abuse or exploit new players in both, remember that WvW is a part of PvE for those players that are trying to obtain 100% map completion, having commanders from other servers guesting on your server can led to huge issues for new players exploring the battlegrounds.

It’s hard to know who to follow or trust when your new to the game and with the amount of difficulty in navigating the borderlands or eternal battlegrounds, guesting commanders take full advantage of this.

This is why I think not only should the commander title be earned by achievements but it should also be Server Bound if there could be such a thing. This way a commander from a rival server can’t just hop servers and cheat others by acting like a commander for that server they jumped to.

I already have seen this happening and it sucks that they are allowed to spread misinformation to new players and feed our strategies back to our rivals.

The Hellion Of Evil – Fort Aspenwood – Guild Leader[NoR]

in WvW

Posted by: XxNuggetxX.7823

XxNuggetxX.7823

A good commander has a sound stratergy.

A great commander has Good Communication, Good praise to his followers if they do well, dosnt have a public fight/put down any other Commander’s.

1- I canot stress enough the COMMUNICATION bit. i love a commander who says in map " we are hitting XXXBay next, re-supply at XXXcamp. we will hit with a fast 3 rams, hope to knock over 1st door befor defenders show up. if this fails we can treb the wall from XXXtower" at least then everyone knows what is going on.

2- Telling your followers “GJ” when they take a tower ect is nice to hear. it will make more ppl follow you.

3- If another commander comes in and disagrees with the 1st comanders plan dont say in map " you suck this is not a good plan, follow me im better!" wisper them your consern. the last thing i wana see when i am following someone is a argument in map chat. thats when i go to charicter select and go do a dungen or anything else non WvW related.

Unfortunatly we have no “Tokken” gained for showing those qualitys. so i suggest a mix of most of the suggestions E.G. 50G, 1000 HB and allow ppl to filter there preferred commander’s. E.G. right click on his tag add to favorite Commander’s list. allowing you to see there online in WvW status.

XnuggetX: 80 Engineer – Nuggetxxx: 80 Gardian
Bloody Swagmen[BS], Fergs Night Crew.
Senior Member, Commander Tag.