Make defending towers worth it!

in WvW

Posted by: erix.7512

erix.7512

Currently a lot of WvW revolves around capping paper towers, moving on, capping the next tower, etc. while another realm backcaps behind, because capping is better exp than defending. The rewards for defending should be upped IMO, and defending should be made less “boring”. Have random events inside towers, stuff as simple as harpies flying in and attacking, or dredge tunneling in, rats infesting, etc. Right now the incentive for going around capping is way better than the incentives for defending towers.

in WvW

Posted by: Clockradio.3257

Clockradio.3257

Currently a lot of WvW revolves around capping paper towers, moving on, capping the next tower, etc. while another realm backcaps behind, because capping is better exp than defending. The rewards for defending should be upped IMO, and defending should be made less “boring”. Have random events inside towers, stuff as simple as harpies flying in and attacking, or dredge tunneling in, rats infesting, etc. Right now the incentive for going around capping is way better than the incentives for defending towers.

Oh god no. The last thing we need is more PVE in WVW. Guards/keep lords are enough.

EDIT: It would be better to just add some reward on a timer, like a silver piece or two and a hundred karma or so. However it would have to be small enough so it wouldn’t be abused by people mass AFK—.—ing (stupid censor) in towers/keeps.

Clockradio | [TSYM] | Sanctum of Rall
tsym.enjin.com

(edited by Clockradio.3257)

in WvW

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’d rather make defending towers be of statistical advantage, rather than a gold farm.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in WvW

Posted by: Clockradio.3257

Clockradio.3257

I’d rather make defending towers be of statistical advantage, rather than a gold farm.

How would 1-2 silver on a 5 minute timer (for argument’s sake) be a gold farm? that would net you a whopping 20-40 silver an hour. Compare that to farming events in Queensdale, or even event timers and that’s nothing. However it is something to reward people who are willing to keep an eye on a tower or keep.

Clockradio | [TSYM] | Sanctum of Rall
tsym.enjin.com

in WvW

Posted by: Rawr.5930

Rawr.5930

I like the general idea.

But how about giving wxp instead of gold, something like 50/5mins, cant compare with a wxp train but at least allows sentries to rank up too.

Meega Kweesta

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I am not in favor of PvE mobs, but I do think changing the scoring would make defense more important and more fun. Rather than getting points for flipping anything, the game would randomly assign 2-3 objectives (such as a tower) per map per cycle (say 15, 30, 60 minutes or similar). The server holding an objective at the end of a cycle would get points. All other non-assigned objectives would be worthless points wise but might be worth taking strategically for the next cycle.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

Anything that gets more people
1. Scouting and watching over towers/keeps
2. actually defending

Defending is not truly the issue. Most people WILL defend when the call goes out. But its because everyone left so they are not idle in a tower somewhere for an hour bored to tears that the defense is so small and usually tower is lost.

We have seen the results of “strategic” rewards…. its the same 10-15 people on the server scouting and no-one else. Sorry its a game and people want to have fun… the are willing to give up a little fun as long as they are making some form of progress.

Money we can donate. But some XP or wXP would be fantastic to give to those willing to babysit a tower/keep.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

in WvW

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I think that defend should be cumulative or in some way that you defend for so long the reward for defending gets better each time.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in WvW

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

Or we could just remove player damage to doors.

People who want to defend will defend.

It’s impossible to defend when a zerg can just PvD a gate down in a minute.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Despite what some people like to believe, WvW is a combination of PvE and PvP content. If they wan’t strictly PvP content, there is a sPvP mode for that.

With that said, I’ve mentioned this before to make both defending more interesting and rewarding. It’d inevitably make zergs split up and make it also considerably harder to take down a tower.

Introduce the “Vested Interest” Buff. Up to 5 players can donate 2g within a tower to gain this buff, and this buff remains on them as long as they stay in the tower. If they leave, they must pay again for the buff.

Under the Vested Interest Buff they get:

- 50% increase in damage from all sources
– 100% increase in damage to groups 25 – 35
– 200% increase in damage to groups 35 – 45
– 300% increase in damage to groups 50+
– Groups with 25+ that are hit with siege have their healing effects reduced 50%

- 75% decrease in damage from all sources
- Siege they placed (and are manning) is immune to damage and fires 10% faster
- Immune to all forms of CC
- Gain 25s per tick
- Towers with 5 people under the buff tick for double

What your going to find is people will want to defend, naturally reducing the size of zergs. Zergs cannot ball around towers unless they like being hit for 100-300% damage.

Towers have 3 sides to attack from so they don’t need to be balled up on one side.

in WvW

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

One of the main problems that discourages defending is the fact that the few people who actually stay back, wait for ages, and report a incoming blob, are often punished additionally by being killed and the tower lost anyway, because the blob caps too fast.

- you stay in tower and guard it
- you forfeit loot
- you forfeit chance for a precursor that can drop from mobs and players you are not killing
- you forfeit karma
- you forfeit experience
- you forfeit advancement through WxP
- you forfeit action and fun
- you spend money to upgrade your tower
- finally! the enemy blob comes to your tower! you call out ‘INC’! then the blob breaks down the gate, kills you and takes your tower.

OR

- run with the BLOB and bathe in riches, progress, action and fortune

The choice is so hard lol.

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

One of the main problems that discourages defending is the fact that the few people who actually stay back, wait for ages, and report a incoming blob, are often punished additionally by being killed and the tower lost anyway, because the blob caps too fast.

- you stay in tower and guard it
- you forfeit loot
- you forfeit chance for a precursor that can drop from mobs and players you are not killing
- you forfeit karma
- you forfeit experience
- you forfeit advancement through WxP
- you forfeit action and fun
- you spend money to upgrade your tower
- finally! the enemy blob comes to your tower! you call out ‘INC’! then the blob breaks down the gate, kills you and takes your tower.

OR

- run with the BLOB and bathe in riches, progress, action and fortune

The choice is so hard lol.

Good job in your summary.

On occasion the times I have stayed back to watch a structure has ended with either no response from the commanders on map when you call aggro, or the reply of “we’ll get it back later…” in which case those hours I just forfeited missing out on the field battles alongside the bonus rewards you listed was just a waste of time on my end by staying put so I just follow the cappers around now, hah!

Am sure others who feel like they are staying back “for the team” but are met with same response on more than one occasion eventually get to the mindset of, “why bother.”