Make wvw more action focused

in WvW

Posted by: laffingseals.5934

laffingseals.5934

I love and hate this game. The only game mode I care about is wvw. It’s the most epic pvp experience I’ve come across. Arena net I know you and I haven’t seen eye to eye and you like to ban me frequently but for gods sakes please consider the following

Remove or severely weaken barriers to combat such as tiers of walls and gates, siege etc.
Remove gear from wvw. Replace it with the pvp system. Old timers will not like this but I think if we want new blood in Wvw we need to adapt. Let it have the trinket weapon and sigil selections. It makes it easier for new players to come in and change the metas around quicker
Bring back a season with the grand finale at the end. Make it based off of kills vs points per tick.
In game voice comms, with commander having priority speaker.
Increase base run speed of players
Increase base damage of melee attacks
Close down smaller servers, merge into larger servers and open up more BLs to accommodate the population
Lastly…. kill eotm. Let me spin it to you this way, you are having wvw compete with it self for player base. You want low level players to get into actual wvw because it ultimately bodes better for that community besides the issues that may cause.

Excuse the grammar and formatting this was done on a phone. Shout out to muscles molasses

twitch.tv/manaspell
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeULWbbiVWCuIzt-6EMq1Iw
twitter.com/manaspell0

in WvW

Posted by: jamesdolla.3954

jamesdolla.3954

Make everything paper like reset night and lets just brawl.

Native Maguuman

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

You lost me at the part of changing the gear on wvw to pvp amulets.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Make everything paper like reset night and lets just brawl.

players would abuse and just ktrain all day and nigh, no more brwals, cause theres only point in taking stuff back for reward.

Well.. its almost what already happens if we make strucutres more easy people will figh less and rush ktrain more.
Sadly Anet looks OK with this dumb gameplay already… tower have places that are mostrly impossible to defend, (place siege hitting cliff and not the structure for a easy cap as example…).

Lol.. just remmemberred:
Less or no fight? no problem!
-> less lag
-> less population complain
-> less skill balance complain
-> game is perfect

pvp amulets would be another mistake bnalance team dont care about pvp, and forces pvp team to remove content as in stats!

That would be awfull gw2 pvp is horribad, i look good when i play build that melts players… yeah…yet i dont find it rewarding.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: jamesdolla.3954

jamesdolla.3954

If we could get rid of DIRE and Minstrel i’m all for it. Most of the new gear sets in the game are broken anyways. If you can do a massive amount of heals or condi damage you should be glassy not tank. This also applies to soldier, sentinels and cele.

Native Maguuman

in WvW

Posted by: Tifa.6473

Tifa.6473

I love and hate this game. The only game mode I care about is wvw. It’s the most epic pvp experience I’ve come across. Arena net I know you and I haven’t seen eye to eye and you like to ban me frequently but for gods sakes please consider the following

Remove or severely weaken barriers to combat such as tiers of walls and gates, siege etc.
Remove gear from wvw. Replace it with the pvp system. Old timers will not like this but I think if we want new blood in Wvw we need to adapt. Let it have the trinket weapon and sigil selections. It makes it easier for new players to come in and change the metas around quicker
Bring back a season with the grand finale at the end. Make it based off of kills vs points per tick.
Close down smaller servers, merge into larger servers and open up more BLs to accommodate the population
Lastly…. kill eotm. Let me spin it to you this way, you are having wvw compete with it self for player base. You want low level players to get into actual wvw because it ultimately bodes better for that community besides the issues that may cause.

Excuse the grammar and formatting this was done on a phone. Shout out to muscles molasses

This is why we can’t have nice things. PVP players changing wvw . What’s next? Let the nerfing begin again.

Tifa
Reaper
Everything she touched crumbled to dust.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

This is why we can’t have nice things. PVP players changing wvw . What’s next? Let the nerfing begin again.

With the part to shutdown eotm i agree, or at least open it for the servers that have 4 maps queued wich are zero.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

laffingseals.5934

“The only game mode I care about is wvw.”

twitch.tv/manaspell
twitter.com/manaspell0

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Bolded responses.

This only makes objectives more difficult to defend

Investing in your character(s) is better for the long run than having gear handed to you. RvR should not be similar to a glorified spvp mode, and the more we treat RvR like spvp, the worse off it will be. The devs are not going to change the gear system now and they shouldn’t anyway. You want new blood? Then you should ask the devs to compete with features and designs from CU, fix the engine, provide a kick butt reward system, fix up professions with pvp (wvw and spvp) combat in mind, provide quality playable roles to build and use, increase profession build variety and viability, fix stealth in pvp modes, create a new set of CC rules for pvp modes, spend an xpac worth of dev effort and investment into RvR here… Those things will bring in new players and improve retention rates among current players

Sorry, tired… Seasons as in tournaments? The devs are a long way off, and have a lot of work to do, before hosting any organized wvw events, you should know that

There are already free voice communication options available and being used

Sure, I’m all for it.

Increase base damage of melee attacks.

On what professions are we talking about?

What this game needs for the long run are factions with a bunch of unique maps to play on. Just adding in more of the same BLs would just be a short term fix to pool players, but that won’t really inspire current and potential players long term

Killing eotm, with the current design and format and rewards and general pace of wvw… will not have the effect you think it will. It would only serve to alienate even more players

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

I’ll just +1 Swagger’s responses.

In particular, I don’t think you could kill off wvw any faster than if you replaced gear with the pvp system.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Posted by: Dangus.6572

Dangus.6572

This

[Underworld][ZERK]

in WvW

Posted by: Huttunen.8309

Huttunen.8309

I’m pretty happy OP isn’t making decisions in arenanet

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Sure shut down eotm, won’t give an influx to wvw anyway as people there treat it as queensdale 2.0 champtrain.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

haha yeah me too….I mean seriously what? Lets take the stupid dumbed down amulet system from pvp that I personally hate with a passion (I love pvp game mode) and move it to WvW? smh.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in WvW

Posted by: Wizigard.4760

Wizigard.4760

I’d actually empower ways of deffend such as gates and their means of withstanding zergs. For I see action also in deffending stuff. One of the best fights I have ever seen were deffending keep/garry from enemy with larger group of people while still being severly outnumbered.

PvP gear, I’m not sure. It would make everyone equal theoreticaly and only your skills would matter (theoreticaly) but I’m not sure. Perhaps it would be better to improve scaling so that your gear only gives you like max 5 % boost at ascended over basic or something else. Then having all skills in wvw from beginning and I think this was at place few years ago.

That thing with season seems rational but with population stuff happening it seems impossible to achieve.

The other stuff … I mostly don’t agree. Although base run speed increase idea is also something to think about I find it to be not the best solution as it will ease quickcapping and ktraining

EotM can be used fow wvw but it needs good deal of adjustments.

If anything, I’m comming to certain conclusion and that’s to reduce rewards from achievment points, this way lessening impact of achievment farmers on wvw but also other mods. Or then slowly phasing out achievments that require repetitive farming and replacing them with something more skill related.
Then rationalisation of reward tracks as they might be encouraging training and farming in a way that I’d eliminate some of these tracks and repalce them with new tracks dropping wvw siege and other stuff. (i know there is one of them now but others are still copies of pvp tracks).

in WvW

Posted by: Mylerian.9176

Mylerian.9176

Waiting for the ban lol

in WvW

laffingseals.5934

Waiting for the ban lol

ayy lmao, my sides. At this rate i wouldn’t be surprised.

To everyone else – I hear you, I know some of these ideas dont sit well but i’m thinking long term growth not maintenance like we are in now. I’ll drop this too — think about WoW PVP, they basically took gear out of the equation and it’s experiencing a massive Renaissance of activity. I dont think WvW can do that due to the different way stats influence (i.e. condis) which is why I said leverage the PvP system of giving different base spreads.

Anyways, im like leonidas at the end of 300. Im ready to get wrecked by another ban.

twitch.tv/manaspell
twitter.com/manaspell0

in WvW

Posted by: bgoodwin.3428

bgoodwin.3428

The ONLY part of this I liked was shutting down EotM. It was made when the upper tiers were always full. Not so much the case now so it needs shut down. May not get a lot people back in but its a start.

in WvW

Posted by: Wizigard.4760

Wizigard.4760

Waiting for the ban lol

ayy lmao, my sides. At this rate i wouldn’t be surprised.

To everyone else – I hear you, I know some of these ideas dont sit well but i’m thinking long term growth not maintenance like we are in now. I’ll drop this too — think about WoW PVP, they basically took gear out of the equation and it’s experiencing a massive Renaissance of activity. I dont think WvW can do that due to the different way stats influence (i.e. condis) which is why I said leverage the PvP system of giving different base spreads.

Anyways, im like leonidas at the end of 300. Im ready to get wrecked by another ban.

lol, ban for what ? sharing ideas ? :P

in WvW

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

Shutting down EotM and pvp gearing system is a good idea imho. Would take out 90% of the total cheese roaming builds.

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

in WvW

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Shutting down EotM and pvp gearing system is a good idea imho. Would take out 90% of the total cheese roaming builds.

Yup and take out 90% of the players too. No more Queues

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

yep.

When I opened this I was kinda hoping for a:

“please remove all the junk passive traits and make combat more active” kind of thread.

People like to point to dire/trailblazer as the problem of condi chrono and I’m like really? got nothing to do with almost no facing required?

in WvW

Posted by: TorquedSoul.8097

TorquedSoul.8097

The maps need to be smaller too. They need to be about 1/10 the current size. And increase map population.

Also, do away with most structures and dump PPT and any territorial control based scoring. PPK all the way!

WvW is BlobvBlob.

Lemme guess, you are on Blackgate, right?

in WvW

laffingseals.5934

The maps need to be smaller too. They need to be about 1/10 the current size. And increase map population.

Also, do away with most structures and dump PPT and any territorial control based scoring. PPK all the way!

WvW is BlobvBlob.

Lemme guess, you are on Blackgate, right?

You know im on blackgate, you were on blackgate too in XVX. I like the fight aspect of the game. I dont have a problem with the hard points, what I have a problem with is the hardpoints becoming a massive timesink and barrier to the action.

twitch.tv/manaspell
twitter.com/manaspell0

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

Another “This is what is wrong/right with WvW, so do this” thread. On the whole, I do think getting to the action bit is correct. Combat is Guild Wars 2’s greatest triumph after all. Some of the others ehhh. I already gave my opinion on what I felt was needed for WvW here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/What-do-WvWers-want/first

I put in spoilers as to not scare people away, even though I literally covered everything I could possibly think of:

My long answer to OP:

1. Matchups/Servers:

A. The big issue is going with a 1v1v1 matchup that takes all the cons of a 1v1 and gives only “the illusion of variety” as a pro. Snowballing still occurs, and as is seen now, we end up with a squabble for 2nd place with two middling (or less) servers matched to a giant. The elephant is that the servers themselves could never handle a full three way fight.

B. People’s concerns with server identity. I will get hate for this, but merging should have occurred over this linking concept that requires upkeep from ANET. The idea of community would actually shift to the Guilds themselves. See Guild Wars 1.

C. Coverage/population balance, that comes with people’s initial interest in persistent pvp modes. I see this more in NA servers, but this idea of persistent doesn’t take into account peoples’ actual playing time. A huge chunk of NA will play for a 4-6 hour time-slot, and end up losing everything outside of that prime-time (the current score system only masked it up better). Lastly, there is a chunk of players in off hours who are not even matched up together, but inadvertently caused this disruption in coverage.

2. Maps

A. The only variety you will get from this game-mode is through maps. It is what directly affects player behavior. Making new maps is always an option. Because of the 1v1v1 we are limited in options for maps that are balanced on their own. The current three copies of the somewhat asymmetrical Home Borderlands systems fails since it relies on a balanced population 24/7 across all of them. This relates to coverage, and the 1v1v1 matchup so you know how systemic these issues are.

B. Circular-ish map design lends itself to Ktraining. With a 1v1v1 you will almost always get some form this. It is clearly apparent in Eotm. In the past it was performed in the Home Borderlands on Friday, and during the initial release of notaries it was seen on Eternal Battlegrounds. Even in non-full ktrains the third lowest server’s common option is to attack unoccupied objectives of the two larger teams (the basic Ktrain).

C. Switching to 1v1 maps offers more flexibility, and allows for a better scenario in case balance is necessary. If you were not here before, the initial Alpine-Borderlands underwent revisions (about 3-4 times), in addition to Desert Borderlands. To put it bluntly, the center of the asymmetrical 1v1v1 is cursed. So cease it, and transition towards 1v1.

3. Game play Loop

A. WvW has not aged well. One way is the siege playstyle, and how it is heavily inconsistent. Firstly, is the balanced battle over an objective that takes up most of a guild’s raid. Secondly, the ktrain where the objective is unoccupied. Finally, the off hour nothing where no side has much of any presence. Another systemic link is because had there been population balance the players once stuck in off hour would be fighting others. In addition time to siege increased by feature creep and progression: tactivators, passive guild upgrades, shield gens, cannons, and still trebs.

B. Separate balance for WvW. This is in hopes of facilitating future balance while making the fighting experience more valuable. With this long term decision it should in theory let balance be made by the potential WvW team.

C. Progression is a concern that is going to sound counter intuitive. The way it was handled in WvW could be considered feature creep since it was to appease people. There is also the gear itself where optimization requires even more time spent outside of WvW. Taking a step back, I think it is better to say people want recognition for their in-game achievements not necessarily statistical advantage. Too much statistical progression is a barrier to entry for new players, who will go to Eotm and probably stay.

….

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

laffingseals.5934

Another “This is what is wrong/right with WvW, so do this” thread. On the whole, I do think getting to the action bit is correct. Combat is Guild Wars 2’s greatest triumph after all. Some of the others ehhh. I already gave my opinion on what I felt was needed for WvW here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/What-do-WvWers-want/first

I put in spoilers as to not scare people away, even though I literally covered everything I could possibly think of:

My long answer to OP:

1. Matchups/Servers:

A. The big issue is going with a 1v1v1 matchup that takes all the cons of a 1v1 and gives only “the illusion of variety” as a pro. Snowballing still occurs, and as is seen now, we end up with a squabble for 2nd place with two middling (or less) servers matched to a giant. The elephant is that the servers themselves could never handle a full three way fight.

B. People’s concerns with server identity. I will get hate for this, but merging should have occurred over this linking concept that requires upkeep from ANET. The idea of community would actually shift to the Guilds themselves. See Guild Wars 1.

C. Coverage/population balance, that comes with people’s initial interest in persistent pvp modes. I see this more in NA servers, but this idea of persistent doesn’t take into account peoples’ actual playing time. A huge chunk of NA will play for a 4-6 hour time-slot, and end up losing everything outside of that prime-time (the current score system only masked it up better). Lastly, there is a chunk of players in off hours who are not even matched up together, but inadvertently caused this disruption in coverage.

2. Maps

A. The only variety you will get from this game-mode is through maps. It is what directly affects player behavior. Making new maps is always an option. Because of the 1v1v1 we are limited in options for maps that are balanced on their own. The current three copies of the somewhat asymmetrical Home Borderlands systems fails since it relies on a balanced population 24/7 across all of them. This relates to coverage, and the 1v1v1 matchup so you know how systemic these issues are.

B. Circular-ish map design lends itself to Ktraining. With a 1v1v1 you will almost always get some form this. It is clearly apparent in Eotm. In the past it was performed in the Home Borderlands on Friday, and during the initial release of notaries it was seen on Eternal Battlegrounds. Even in non-full ktrains the third lowest server’s common option is to attack unoccupied objectives of the two larger teams (the basic Ktrain).

C. Switching to 1v1 maps offers more flexibility, and allows for a better scenario in case balance is necessary. If you were not here before, the initial Alpine-Borderlands underwent revisions (about 3-4 times), in addition to Desert Borderlands. To put it bluntly, the center of the asymmetrical 1v1v1 is cursed. So cease it, and transition towards 1v1.

3. Game play Loop

A. WvW has not aged well. One way is the siege playstyle, and how it is heavily inconsistent. Firstly, is the balanced battle over an objective that takes up most of a guild’s raid. Secondly, the ktrain where the objective is unoccupied. Finally, the off hour nothing where no side has much of any presence. Another systemic link is because had there been population balance the players once stuck in off hour would be fighting others. In addition time to siege increased by feature creep and progression: tactivators, passive guild upgrades, shield gens, cannons, and still trebs.

B. Separate balance for WvW. This is in hopes of facilitating future balance while making the fighting experience more valuable. With this long term decision it should in theory let balance be made by the potential WvW team.

C. Progression is a concern that is going to sound counter intuitive. The way it was handled in WvW could be considered feature creep since it was to appease people. There is also the gear itself where optimization requires even more time spent outside of WvW. Taking a step back, I think it is better to say people want recognition for their in-game achievements not necessarily statistical advantage. Too much statistical progression is a barrier to entry for new players, who will go to Eotm and probably stay.

….

Chinchilla whattup man hope all is well

twitch.tv/manaspell
twitter.com/manaspell0