Making WvW a bit less zergtastic

in WvW

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

I’ve been thinking a great deal about WvW and while it is fun, I think it could be more fun if things were a bit less zergy. One way to accomplish this would be to scale down damage done to walls/doors based upon how many people are nearby the attacker/siege. An example would be something along the lines of, “For every friendly player within 200 yards past the first 10 (or whatever you consider to be a zerg) reduce damage done to the door/wall by X%”. Basically it’s just a number you can tweak to influence the scale of combat.

Currently there really is little reason to split up a force within a battleground. Beyond players scouting the enemy force, it’s most advantageous to simply blob up and steamroll as quickly as possible which makes the tactics a bit stale. With this in place it may make having multiple forces, and fronts of combat, on the field a bit more viable.

Quite honestly I don’t think anyone would really know how this change would play out but I think it would be a fun experiment. Worse case scenario it could be reverted if it makes the gameplay less enjoyable, which is the whole point in the first place right?

in WvW

Posted by: DrWhom.3105

DrWhom.3105

Anet don’t want a situation where there’s a reason to turn away people of your own server (see: their justification for the Outnumbered buff staying useless), they believe more people must always be better otherwise we will begin abusing each other. So for example a 10 man group is taking a tower, some new player rocks up to try and help, suddenly the cries of “gtfo noob killing our dps” start flying.

Of course the rally mechanic already gives guild groups a good reason to turn away useless uplevels, but the WvW team was saddled with that ill-considered mechanic long ago and I doubt they could remove it if they wanted to.

Don’t mean to be harsh, it just isn’t going to happen.

MAG

in WvW

Kadin.2356

Well that’s a shame. I can see why that would be a problem. I haven’t given up hope however, it just requires a bit more thought.

in WvW

Kadin.2356

What about something like….. 5% damage increase for 10 players within 200 yards of a commander, prioritizing guild members, but only one bonus can be active at a time (meaning even if you have 5x commanders close together only 10 players within that area can get the buff). Gives you an incentive to break off into multiple groups to get the buff on the largest number of people, but at the same time pugs following don’t do any damage, they just don’t benefit.

in WvW

Posted by: Dutchares.6084

Dutchares.6084

ANET sees WvW as relax place for SPVP players.. like an easy mode.
It shouldn’t have to much skill needed or organization or thinking or whatever.
Its for Casual players like they said many times. Organized and skilled players should do sPVP

Atleast that’s ANET’s view on WvW

in WvW

Posted by: baseballguy.4865

baseballguy.4865

Allow your guild to be the only players to get your boons.

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

So anyone not running with their own guild gets left out to dry?

this doesn’t punish zergs at all, just pugs/militia.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

So anyone not running with their own guild gets left out to dry?

this doesn’t punish zergs at all, just pugs/militia.

Wvw is all “me me me” didn’t you know that? Look @ the train v train now. The special snowflakes are getting their own sandbox to play in. Hopefully they go in and never leave.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”