March 26th patch broke WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Terra Dactyl.2047

Terra Dactyl.2047

Tier 2 has the massive full-server blobs, but we just spent (at least) the last 3 hours smashing our massive blob into the opposing servers’ massive blobs. I hit rank 5 in 3 hours. Filled my bags three times. It’s glorious.

Once people realize they get wxp from playing the way they played before, they’ll go back to doing that. Until then, I’m perfectly fine with gaining 200+ kills over the course of less than 5 minutes. <_<

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

This patch honestly made PvP worse in this game..I didn’t think it was possible to reward the zerg playstyle even more…but Anet surprised me yet again.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in WvW

Posted by: Emerge.9640

Emerge.9640

Yep, all they doing is keep trading

Warhammer2

ROAM | Oink | TLP

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Yep, all they doing is keep trading

Warhammer2

Except Warhammer was actually fun PvP wise despite the keep trading.

It also had the Scenario system which again, vastly superior to this game.

In fact there isn’t much in this game that Warhammer Online didn’t do vastly better.

Cept maybe the 3 sides GW2 has.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in WvW

Posted by: John Widdin.9618

John Widdin.9618

On Maguuma, we’ve been running around in mega blobs, smearing green all over the maps, then jumping map to map taking structures, and smearing the other mega blobs. It was fun for a couple hours.

I almost miss 5 hour treb fights for west keep with FA.

Zachary ~ Mesmer/ John Widdin ~ Warrior/ Zazmataz ~ Engineer
Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

(edited by John Widdin.9618)

in WvW

Posted by: Ralathar.7236

Ralathar.7236

Now you more properly appreciate one of the big difficulties with giving players freedom and choices, people today more often than not take the “easy” route to “win”.

This is human nature, to win, and win most efficiently. This is why a lot of us level up to 80 and want BIS gear, not for fun but to win (for many this is fun). If I can zurgball for 2 hours what took me 2 days to do then I’ll choose the 2 hour method every time (for me that’s 6 hours less grinding so it’s a no-brainer).

The system ANet setup is to give a reward for each win, this means the more wins you get per hour the better-off you’ll be, so ANet either made a mistake in their design or they want this.

That’s actually a lie, human nature is to survive and procreate. Winning is something bred into us by society. Realistically when the goal is to have fun it doesn’t matter if you win or lose if you are having fun. The preference is actually a mix of both or it gets boring always losing or always winning. It’s the challenge, the drama, and the back and forth turmoil along with the rush of competition.

The only reason people have more fun “winning” to the extent people do today is because of brainwashing and a select portion of the population trying to compensate for their own insecurities. Oh and btw if you want to win buy X product or service. You don’t want to be a loser do you?

Rashanala – 80 Elementalist
Ehmry Bay – Legion of the Iron Hawk [Hawk]

in WvW

Posted by: Ralathar.7236

Ralathar.7236

That’s just stupid. You can’t blame players for following the reward path that ANet laid out for them. In fact, LOTS of players predicted this would happen and practically begged ANet to reconsider how they set up these rewards. This falls squarely in ANet’s lap.

If you make keep takes worth stuff, people flip em. You make people worth more, people trade kills or set up meat grinders and farm 1 specific keep or tower and let the rest of the map go to heck. Try to make it where there is no incentive for either and it’s all about fun? WTF where are my rewards!!?? What’s the point!!??

There really is no winning with this generation, both younger and older folks. Nobody wants to take responsibility anymore because we’ve been taught we can always blame someone else.

Rashanala – 80 Elementalist
Ehmry Bay – Legion of the Iron Hawk [Hawk]

in WvW

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

That’s just stupid. You can’t blame players for following the reward path that ANet laid out for them. In fact, LOTS of players predicted this would happen and practically begged ANet to reconsider how they set up these rewards. This falls squarely in ANet’s lap.

If you make keep takes worth stuff, people flip em. You make people worth more, people trade kills or set up meat grinders and farm 1 specific keep or tower and let the rest of the map go to heck. Try to make it where there is no incentive for either and it’s all about fun? WTF where are my rewards!!?? What’s the point!!??

There really is no winning with this generation, both younger and older folks. Nobody wants to take responsibility anymore because we’ve been taught we can always blame someone else.

Responsibility of design falls on the designers. Players should not blame themselves for the fact that the designers are following an extrinsically incentivized reward system, but couldn’t follow through with the designs.

In reality, it not really an issue with ethics as you make it out to be. It’s a matter of pragmatism. If the game is bad enough players will simply move on, and many players have already moved on.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Uh no. This was just a stunt the three servers decided to do for a bit after the patch. It’s business as usual again.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in WvW

Posted by: Taggund.8936

Taggund.8936

I knew it was bad when people actually stopped to fight the veteran wurm, and then seeing it actually gave WXP. I’m hoping this madness settles down.

in WvW

Posted by: MrHaze.3690

MrHaze.3690

I knew it was bad when people actually stopped to fight the veteran wurm, and then seeing it actually gave WXP. I’m hoping this madness settles down.

Wait, so the bloody veteran wurm gives wexp, but doing things that actually help like running yaks, upgrading and repairing don’t? Oh dear lord.

Godhead Priest Endexa
Necromancer
Anvil’s Last Stand [ALS]

in WvW

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

let me toss this out there. killed 10 players got 50xp maybe, ran into a guard pt that someone else took and got 54 lol. Solo flip a camp = 75 for camp and 40 for the 2 cows. Lets all pve for wxp then turn it in for useless skills. Just great.

in WvW

Posted by: Furiousbeard.7602

Furiousbeard.7602

Tier 2 FA/TC/KN was awesome tonight.

Ya there were zerg balls, but there were ALWAYS zerg balls. Now you can see them

In fact 5 people held off 30 TC at the north supply camp until about 15 showed up to assist in the defense, so you can still have some insanely fun battles.

This patch is a win!

FA Soldier of Fortune – Flashypants (20,078 WvW kills) http://m.youtube.com/user/Duppa81
Roamer: 99.99% BLs / 0.01% EB

in WvW

Posted by: Grishnakk.9426

Grishnakk.9426

Holy kitten so broken.

Amorphis – Elementalist.
Grishnakk – Warrior.
TKG – JQQ Oceanic – www.fivefingerdiscount.org

in WvW

Posted by: Jackie.1829

Jackie.1829

Wurm gives 75 exp, fresh player kill gives 60 exp. How about you go out and kill things, cause if you think farming wurms is going to rank you up then good luck keeping up with the rest of us.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net
GW1 Rank 1 – 2 Gold Capes – [sC] [sup]

in WvW

Posted by: Paxus.6543

Paxus.6543

I think people try way to hard to find a fault with everything possible and enjoy being unhappy about everything. The rank system is trivial. It will lose its luster soon enough. For me the removal of culling has been tremendous. I thought it would cause massive lag but for me at least that has not been the case. I think anet did a great job of getting rid of culling. Maybe I am lucky here in tier 5 but there is action everywhere and you can see everyone and we are definitely fighting each other. Are there zergs? Yes. Were there zergs before? Yes. Stop grasping at straws trying to find a reason to complain and go have some fun with it.
And I played warhammer and it was fun but I have no idea how someone could think it was superior to this but I transgress everyone is entitled to their opinion.

(edited by Paxus.6543)

in WvW

Posted by: Victoitor.2917

Victoitor.2917

In T3 of the NA ladder, the new WvW meta post-patch is simple. Form one mega-zerg, abandon all other maps. Roll around speed capping everything, switch maps when needed.

Now how is this different than before? Very simple. Everyone wants to maximize their WXP. This is done by mega-zerging. Dragonbrand is doing this, YB is doing this, SoS is doing this.

But here is why it breaks WvW, there is no incentive to fight another zerg. There is no incentive to defend or upgrade anything. There is no incentive to split off the mega-zerg. In fact, there is a negative stigma now to upgrading buildings. You want to cap things as quick as possible, you want the enemy to cap your things as fast as possible, so that you can cap them back quicker(and get more WXP). Each server’s mega-zerg rolls across a borderland map, and they generally swap around the same time so no server has their mega-zerg on the same map at the same time.

I am very curious, are your servers doing the same thing? I suspect all servers are doing it right now.

Is this just a patch-day phenomenon? Or is this the new meta-game for WvW? If this style of play becomes the norm then WvW just became a permanent WXP train, without skill or tactics, or any decision making at all.

WvW can be so much fun. If anyone wished to play that way, then it’s their problem.

As always, T7 is having a blast. There is no better place to be right now.

Raimundo Faztudo (Human Engineer) – Current WvW
Mr Tauser (Char Warrior) – Current PvE
[CATZ] – HoD

in WvW

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

Now you more properly appreciate one of the big difficulties with giving players freedom and choices, people today more often than not take the “easy” route to “win”.

This is human nature, to win, and win most efficiently. This is why a lot of us level up to 80 and want BIS gear, not for fun but to win (for many this is fun). If I can zurgball for 2 hours what took me 2 days to do then I’ll choose the 2 hour method every time (for me that’s 6 hours less grinding so it’s a no-brainer).

The system ANet setup is to give a reward for each win, this means the more wins you get per hour the better-off you’ll be, so ANet either made a mistake in their design or they want this.

That’s actually a lie, human nature is to survive and procreate. Winning is something bred into us by society. Realistically when the goal is to have fun it doesn’t matter if you win or lose if you are having fun. The preference is actually a mix of both or it gets boring always losing or always winning. It’s the challenge, the drama, and the back and forth turmoil along with the rush of competition.

The only reason people have more fun “winning” to the extent people do today is because of brainwashing and a select portion of the population trying to compensate for their own insecurities. Oh and btw if you want to win buy X product or service. You don’t want to be a loser do you?

Maybe for losers. Winners take things and dominate. Losers go with the be safe and procreate thing.

in WvW

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

Once the commanders get their ranks, I can expect everything’s probably going to settle back to the way it was.

in WvW

Posted by: JPSnow.8296

JPSnow.8296

I have to say from reading all the forum posts I was expecting serious issues but since I got home I found none….. Yes we could use better armour to buy but I’m sure that will come in time. I’ve experienced no lag either with both settings on highest in na tier 2. I live in Australia so Im pretty far from the server. May be its people’s computers not handling it….

JPSnow (main) – Necro, Sir Mezalot – Mesmer
Lieutenant Stabs – Thief
Night Vision (NV) – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

Why does it matter if you live in Australia mate? I live in the Us and play on an Eu server and do fine.

in WvW

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

WOW, ya the zerg is insane. I wasn’t looking forward to this whole WxPxWxPxWxP
Love seeing my screen fill up with enemies that part is Awesome

BUT in trying to defend something like a Keep, the Zerg wins handsdown
we took a fully fortified Keep down in minutes, the only way it could have been stopped is if they had a Zerg waiting with Superior Seige to counter, they couldn’t build it fast enough, if we dropped, we rezzed back, it was sad.

All we had to do was keep moving and capping, was fun for about an hour.

unless siege isn’t so squishy or despawns WvW is Dead, i’m not sure who comes up with these ideas and tests them (beta testers from the begininng?) but this is
Sad Sad Sad.
get some new testers, people with better ideas (Me heh) “random rotation of 52 new maps”<——ya beat that

Sincerly, Me.

in WvW

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

I agree with the OP. It’s a royal mess out there. I’m very pleased more folks are playing WvW. It’s great that the numbers are up. The problem is that with the culling fix and the shiny new ranks, it has indeed made WvW a massive, lag-riddled, mega-zerg fest. And the mob mentality that comes with all these new players is quite mindless to say the least. No one is reading the team chat. No one is fortifying. No one is playing WvW the way it’s meant to be played. It’s just blob of lag vs blob of lag. At least in EB. BL is a little better if the numbers are down. The rank system is a neat idea in theory, but in practice it encourages bad player behavior. Plus, I would much rather have the old culling back and be able to fire off my skills, then see everyone and have the animation reduced to a slideshow. Not to mention that the players on my team are reduced to that generic green “invader” place holder avatar.

My only hope is that the PVE element that has flooded WvW will hit max rank in a week and go back to grinding fractals. Then maybe we’ll get our lovely WvW back.

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

I also agree with the OP. It’s a right, ridiculous shamozzle.

I got into WvWvW anout 6 weeks ago. Thought it was ok, nothing grand but ok, then this happened. Everything seems to happen at the pace of a drunk snail on a glue stick.

Skills don’t activate (still), everything feels jerky and it’s like everything take a 1/2 second longer so it feels like swimming in clag. On the whole a bad playing experience and I think I’ll stick with PvE. Except instead of daily it’ll probably just be once a week or whenever I could be bothered to see if anyone is online anymore.

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

in WvW

Posted by: Caliburn.1845

Caliburn.1845

After playing into the earlier morning hours tonight, the mega-zergs(at least in T3) do die down as the servers have less people in WvW.

But unfortunately the offense(gimme WXP NOW! rar!) oriented mind-set continued, with all three servers flipping keeps and towers back and forth. The only time significant numbers of people defended anything was when they felt they could collect some kills from the zerg v. zerg fighting. All anyone had to do was back-off a building, or swap maps for 10-15 minutes, then return to their original target to cap it.

Defensive play needs to be incentivized, or the fragile balance of WvW gameplay is going to continue to be incredibly skewed.

Caliburn.1845, Monsters Inc.
Darkhaven>Dragonbrand>Blackgate>Maguuma>Yaks Bend>Stormbluff Isle>Yaks Bend

in WvW

Posted by: ethereal.9780

ethereal.9780

Maybe the nameplates should only be visable through LoS ?

in WvW

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

It says more about the players on the servers in your tier than about the patch…
Furthermore it’s way too early to make such bold statement that WvW is broken if the patch is just out.
Can’t imagine people will just keep doing that for days/weeks/months on end it’s just a rush for the new shiney. And if they do they definitely shouldn’t complain about A.net adding a title / skill track because they’re just doing it to themselves.
It’s still possible to fight the same way as before the patch and gather wxp that way, soon we’ll all be maxed on wxp regardless of playstyle anyways.
Just the impatient few will get their wxp for all bonuses asap and then complain they have no incentive to play WvW anymore, like before the patch.

(edited by holska.4127)

in WvW

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

In T2 we did nothing but bag farm last night. Catch the enemy at a chokepoint and kill kill kill. The newness will wear off and everything will go back to normal. There is definitely reasons to fight each other and that is bags. Everyone is excited that they can actually see everyone on the map now.

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Yams.6082

Yams.6082

Tier 4 SBI checking in. We’ve still been upgrading our holdings, but that’s because we only trail CD by 4.5k points (when I logged last night).

To be honest, the only useful bonuses are the ones that reduce siege and NPC damage. You can easily max those out. 520 WXP points for +5 supply? No thanks.

Yams One/Two/Three/Four/Five/Six
SBI

in WvW

Posted by: SilencedScream.2167

SilencedScream.2167

This is why I -like- being in a lower tier. In tier 7 and, like someone before me posted, haven’t seen this at all. Do we try to speed cap? Yes, of course – but we’ve had several zerg v. zerg encounters (and with culling gone, it’s JAW DROPPING at the realization of how many are actually in the fight).

The only downside to the WXP that I’ve found so far – I’m now more likely to be attacked in the EB jump puzzle.

Henge of Denravi – [SAS]
Duct Tape Applied [Charr Ranger]
A Roll Of Duct Tape [Human Guardian, Commander]

in WvW

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

There is already a dedicated thread about the recent changes made to WvW here : Discuss WvW patch notes- march 26 here!.

Therefore, this one is now closed to avoid duplicates.

Thank you.