Matchmaking makes no sense

in WvW

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

I don’t get it.

According to the leaderboards, our server is 6th place, YB is 5th, and BG is 1st, yet we are are all paired against each other in this weeks match. So ANet considers it fair to pit the 1st, 5th and 6th against each other, while the 2nd place JQ fights at 3rd tier, and 3rd place fights at 2nd tier.

From the wiki: “high-ranked worlds will battle other high-ranked worlds, and low-ranked worlds will battle other low-ranked worlds.” But this does not appear to be so.

The only thing I can think of that would compound this is the linking system. JQ, BG, and Maguuma are unlinked while the others all. I realize that this would also lock at least these 3 servers in Eternal Battle and get quite boring, but how is it fair to pit lower servers against higher? Is this just for amusement, to give BG easier pickings?

Since reset, TC has been constantly outnumbered and overly dominated, and queues are empty. However last week, I never saw outnumbered and queues were full daily, and most importantly, fights were fair.

in WvW

Posted by: Mira.4906

Mira.4906

Its officially called the fair weather effect. last week you had an easier match so people came out to play, this week things are a little harder so people that want to k-train are not playing. People that enjoy the game mode will be out there regardless.

Guild Leader for [Myth] Darkhaven

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

The last one was closer than this one will be…

inb4 the lock

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

there is an rng roll +- 100 to the glicko roll when matchmaking occurs. Since servers 2-8 are within 100 they can swap places based on the RNG gods.

Don’t feel bad, you rng rolled T1 one week, we are on week 2 of too big for us……

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

never any fun when ur a small server/alliance up against mag……

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

I don’t think it is a fair fight between BG and JQ either. BG has sucked everything up like a black hole and it is still occasionally open for more sucking. Talking of fair matches these days is like speaking of the unicorn. What with transfers and linkings and the fact that people may play one day and not play the next. #inbeforethreadcloses

gaem not made for mi
===========

in WvW

Kythan Myr.4719

there is an rng roll +- 100 to the glicko roll when matchmaking occurs. Since servers 2-8 are within 100 they can swap places based on the RNG gods.

Don’t feel bad, you rng rolled T1 one week, we are on week 2 of too big for us……

True, but we should at least get a mulligan or something. Pretty much all of the regular WvW players are calling it quits this week.

in WvW

Posted by: Sylvyn.4750

Sylvyn.4750

At least get your 100 pips this week or you won’t get the bonus commitment pip next week, if that matters to you.

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

FA’s getting into a habit of being stuck with big brother and little brother.
An opposing server with queues and map blobs through all timezones, and another tiny server that’s almost never seen through the first server’s queues and map blobs.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I don’t get it.

According to the leaderboards, our server is 6th place, YB is 5th, and BG is 1st, yet we are are all paired against each other in this weeks match. So ANet considers it fair to pit the 1st, 5th and 6th against each other, while the 2nd place JQ fights at 3rd tier, and 3rd place fights at 2nd tier.

From the wiki: “high-ranked worlds will battle other high-ranked worlds, and low-ranked worlds will battle other low-ranked worlds.” But this does not appear to be so.

The only thing I can think of that would compound this is the linking system. JQ, BG, and Maguuma are unlinked while the others all. I realize that this would also lock at least these 3 servers in Eternal Battle and get quite boring, but how is it fair to pit lower servers against higher? Is this just for amusement, to give BG easier pickings?

Since reset, TC has been constantly outnumbered and overly dominated, and queues are empty. However last week, I never saw outnumbered and queues were full daily, and most importantly, fights were fair.

I hear ya. Am on Kaineng, and we’re paired with TC, and seeing BG again is just mind boggling.

I think Anet actually wants people to get disinterested in wvw……lol.

Seriously, the matchups make absolutely no sense sometimes. LOL….not that I don’t still try….but the fun factor doesn’t last long against BG.

Looks like it 3 weeks of some part time wvw mixed with checking out some of my neglected games.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

True, but we should at least get a mulligan or something. Pretty much all of the regular WvW players are calling it quits this week.

Yup….whenever we get paired up against a T1 server, most everyone spends that 3 weeks doing pve or other game stuff.

After a couple hours out there, it just gets to be super pointless. Although I must admit that it is hilarious fun when you come upon the occasional zerg with mostly new wvw’ers in it.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

I’m pretty sure a long while back, they increased the range of the volatility, because the matchups were stagnant and tiers were pretty much deadlocked in place. If they turned that back down, the matchups should go back to being at least somewhat even.

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

It is random!

The 5-4-3 skirmish scores moved the server close together glicko-wise, such that everything is mostly random now.

Randomness never makes any sense

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

The current RNG factor is actually pretty bad. Pairing overpowered servers versus much weaker servers causes player attrition and is ultimately bad for the game. It’s really time to take the “random” factor out of pairing IMO.

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Do not take it out, it needs a bit random to work correctly (do you remember before it’s introduction? most tiers where completely separated, andd the same matches were repeated for month) , but reduce it, either by switching back to 3-2-1 (this reduces randomness by increasing glicko distance) or by turning the constant, which is there, just it had to be used again.
(was adapted once after season1: https://www.guildwars2.com/de/news/wvw-matchup-variance-reduction/)

But it will always be a trade-off between staleness of matches (complained about a lot) or imbalance of matches (complained about a lot as well)

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Kythan Myr.4719

So, from what I’m hearing if you are the better server it’s great! Zero complaints. If you are the weaker, then just take your medicine and suck it up, deal with it.

I understand the need for randomness, and honestly I’d care less about being outclassed by a more powerful server, but there is NO fun when everyone else switches to PvE to weather out the current match up.

I’ve always understood that WvW has it’s issues, so to entice new players rewards were increased to add that “more fun” component. then stuff like this seems counter productive. From one perspective, it motivates me to spend some $ to switch servers, on the other hand it causes me to just abandon WvW game mode. I don’t really care about rewards and having things now. I just want to play with my server, have pointless chats, strategize and see the fruits, or lack of, from that planning.

Sometimes, I wonder if WvW would function better without server identity and use a system like a three way faction. I know it wasn’t WvW, but the whole luxon and kurzick thing in GW1 seemed like it could be a good foundation for something WvW. It wasn’t perfect, but I only have fond memories of our AB battles. I’m sure they won’t because they would fear some sort of abuse to the system.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Its officially called the fair weather effect. last week you had an easier match so people came out to play, this week things are a little harder so people that want to k-train are not playing. People that enjoy the game mode will be out there regardless.

I would suggest that in addition, underdog servers have a really difficult time achieving things when they are out-populated and out-fought. Let’s say someone normally gives up after three wipes. Those wipes will happen much sooner when they are in a hard match.

So people aren’t doing anything different than any other week, they just give up sooner because they hit their tolerance limit sooner.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Liston.9708

I don’t think it is a fair fight between BG and JQ either. BG has sucked everything up like a black hole and it is still occasionally open for more sucking. Talking of fair matches these days is like speaking of the unicorn. What with transfers and linkings and the fact that people may play one day and not play the next. #inbeforethreadcloses

I wondered how a 1-2-3 match, if it ever rolls that way, would work out. Links 2 weeks away, maybe you will get a link to challenge BG.

in WvW

Liston.9708

So, from what I’m hearing if you are the better server it’s great! Zero complaints. If you are the weaker, then just take your medicine and suck it up, deal with it.

I understand the need for randomness, and honestly I’d care less about being outclassed by a more powerful server, but there is NO fun when everyone else switches to PvE to weather out the current match up.

I’ve always understood that WvW has it’s issues, so to entice new players rewards were increased to add that “more fun” component. then stuff like this seems counter productive. From one perspective, it motivates me to spend some $ to switch servers, on the other hand it causes me to just abandon WvW game mode. I don’t really care about rewards and having things now. I just want to play with my server, have pointless chats, strategize and see the fruits, or lack of, from that planning.

Sometimes, I wonder if WvW would function better without server identity and use a system like a three way faction. I know it wasn’t WvW, but the whole luxon and kurzick thing in GW1 seemed like it could be a good foundation for something WvW. It wasn’t perfect, but I only have fond memories of our AB battles. I’m sure they won’t because they would fear some sort of abuse to the system.

On the flip side, I have earned outnumbered ‘Bonus pips’ this week, you must be as well !

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Big servers vs smallers servers, all what those small server have to do is to create gameplay for bigger servers ktrain back structures, while that is happening WvW is working as intended.

if u notice, tell me how many servers are figting each other that have a similiar population peaks at the same time, if u notice this is more often to get on the linked team side, while serversthat have more population on a diferent timezone will be setted as a match to fight for.

its a ktrain timezone fest if your server gets paired to a giant stacked server… well patience… that is how the game is ment to work, since it was designed for pve players try pvp with their pve gimmicks.

@Liston.9708m the same, ive reached 9-13 pips, i was like wtf this would be a nice afk farm, about the bonus pip, im always on that week bonus side….

Move to NSP if u want to farm pips lol, since ANet is pairing us against servers with a big gap in population coverage and size…. we lack players almost every one dropped form the game we even lost alot of commanders due to “HoT lameness”, just a few try harders remain ….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

If you consider the possibility that the matchmaking system takes into account of population level, then it will make some sense. If you consider ranking as priority for matchmaking then it wouldn’t make sense.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Serkit.7836

Serkit.7836

PROTIP: To lower your rating, don’t cap or hold objectives.