Matchup - side effect

Matchup - side effect

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

The new matchup system puts servers of significantly different WvW populations against each other.

Sometimes, the difference is very wide, in which case the server with the larger population naturally dominates quite rapidly.
This causes the borderline players of the dominating server to leap on the bandwagon and join in a killing spree, while the rats of the weaker server leave the sinking ship.

Result – the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker.
It’s now possible to tell in a matter of a couple of hours which side you’re on and decide to stay or leave.

Matchup - side effect

in WvW

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

Unfortunately it seems that once your server has a clear disadvantage it isn’t favorable to even jump into the Mists. I know I don’t want to jump into my BL when my server has zero territory. It’s just not an appealing thought for me as a solo player.

There is no reward for staying on a server with weak WvW population, but it’s expensive to transfer servers. The only answer is building up a bigger WvW population, but that is a very big thing to tackle and not easy to figure out how.

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

Matchup - side effect

in WvW

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

Imo both systems they’ve tried suck. In the old you system you had the same stale matchups week after week, and more and more people, at least on my server, gradually stopped playing. In the new system there are lots and lots of blowout weeks, where I can sometimes log on and be outmanned on every freakin’ map, complete with enemy zerg spawn camping.

I keep hearing that WvW population isn’t declining – but on what server, and on what week? For the past two weeks DB has been a ghost town during times it used to be bustling…

Matchup - side effect

in WvW

Posted by: Merendel.7128

Merendel.7128

Unfortunatly even the old system did that and didn’t really alow for the posibility of a loosing server ever haveing a good match for months at a time. Prior to this you could have 1 server dominating a bracket for months before finaly earning enough points to move up while the loseing servers simply got more demoralized. At least now theres a chance for all but the weakest server to get matched with a pair where they are either on even footing or have an advantage.

I know how rough it is geting stomped by a larger population or better coverage. My server, SOS, had our first 5 matches under the new system with one of the higher tier servers and they just dominated us.

And I dont really agree with the bandwangoners joining in in the spree adding to the domination of a server. Most of the WvW’ers call them free Wxp and bemone them takeing up slots in the queue while draging down the avrage effectivenes of the team. They tend to not follow directions of the commanders, not get on comunity voice coms, and die quick in any fight that is not completely lopsided numerically.