Mercy & Sportsmanship

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

Since some time ago when the core of TC’s fighting force transferred away, and TC became oppressed practically across all time zones, I became acutely aware of one thing.

WvW needs Mercy and Sportsmanship.

On a large server macro level, when a Server has a commanding lead in terms of points and even kills, I think it is merciful and of good sportsmanship to actually allow the weaker/weakest server to grab some of their own structures back instead of camping their structures and spawning grounds and preventing any chance for recapture.

This type of beating them into the ground behavior in a non-competition period is I feel due to the lack of fights elsewhere and not really because you want to thrash a server badly.
With that in mind, I would think it to be reasonable to give the badly losing server some breathing space. Let them build their small army back and then give you some fights (even if terribly one-sided ones).
Doing otherwise will just stifle most losing servers into leaving WvW and in the end you have no one to fight either.

Bringing this Mercy and Sportsmanship to a smaller micro level, when you see enemy players with Recruit or bronze ranks trying to flip a camp or even trying to take down a guard sentry (I use trying because sometimes I see them die trying), understand that most likely they are doing their dailies or taking their first baby steps into WvW. If the structure is not crucial to your server at that time (example, you already have maxed keep and that camp isn’t going to do you anything really good), let the poor soul get his camp!

I bumped into a recruit earlier trying to take a camp and he ran off the moment he saw me. I felt sorry for chasing him off. I’m sure some of you would have such experiences too or even be a recruit once yourself.

Show some mercy and sportsmanship! Thanks!

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

i think given human nature as it is i doubt that would happen. What ANET could do is provide incremental buffs (more than the current outnumbered stuff) to the weakest server (tied to how many structures they own). This could be in the same way like bloodlust where you get stat bonuses. These would make individuals stronger and able to fight back better.

As they start taking structures back the buffs would go away.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

That’s funny, I don’t remember TC doing anything of the kind when they were dominating T2 against FA, SoS, and DB when TC was a T1.5 server. This went on for months and months.

This should go into the EotM forum, not the WvW forum.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

“Be the change you want to see”

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Make things easier for the underdogs? Bwaaaahahahahahaaaa!!!

Anet has made it very clear that the strongest server will rule. They deleted features such as border cap assistance when the enemy holds objectives near your spawn and they changed the scoring system to make certain that the server with the most unflipped T3 objectives win skirmishes.

Dont ruin the gameplay mode and show mercy to the weak, pffff.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Its time Anet took a bold move and blew up the servers. The game has gone back to accelerated abandonment, they might as well make a hail mary pass vs just letting it die.

SBI

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: zectra.6978

zectra.6978

If it’s red. It’s dead. You think there is mercy in war? I give no quarter when I lead.

[APS][NV]Vasnia, Commander
Fort Aspenwood

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

My server spends most of its play effort these days sitting in ebg spawn-camping one or both other servers..

I think if we ever had to actually play wvw again, like with strategy and tactics and coordination, we’ll have forgotten how to do it.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Showing sportsmanship would be to not interrupt someone having a duel or to not throw siege or emote on a dead invaders corpse. Killing an enemy player will never be unsporting.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: BassHunteR.7246

BassHunteR.7246

If it is red, beat them so hard that they will regret buying the game copy.
That is the spirit… Lol

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

I don’t know. I have spared low levels before. I’ll usually kill them once, then down them if they come back, but won’t stomp them.

If new WvW players just get ganked and 100-0’d every time they set foot outside spawn, they won’t have a good time and wvw population will suffer even more.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: BassHunteR.7246

BassHunteR.7246

In a war you dont wish your enemy a goos fight.. You beat them so hard that they will have nightmares about that fight. They will wake up in the middle of the night yelling " BANNER PLzzz".

But then again there is always the other side of the coin:
The more bags you get, the less bags you will get.
The less bags you get, the more bags you will get.
If you know whay i mean..

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I don’t know. I have spared low levels before. I’ll usually kill them once, then down them if they come back, but won’t stomp them.

If new WvW players just get ganked and 100-0’d every time they set foot outside spawn, they won’t have a good time and wvw population will suffer even more.

To be fair someone should tell Non level 80s that WvW is probably not a safe place for them to be. I personally never look to see what level they are….“Red means Dead” unless i see them duelling or if its already like 3v1 or something.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Recently a server mate and some other person from another server were waiting for vet harpy.

We all tagged it and nothing else happened which is pretty rare.

That is just diplomacy though.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Packit.8576

Packit.8576

The care bear status hasn’t changed on TC i see

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

zectra.6978

Back when WvW was actually populated and fights were good, TC was actually the unofficial RP server and there were LOADS of them.

Fort Aspenwood

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Jojo.8973

Jojo.8973

There is no honor and sportsmanship in people who are all about winning and being video game elitests. If they don’t remain on top, their sad little lives will crumble and they will have nothing left to live for.

AHHHHH!!! THEY’VE TAKEN MY LEFT NIPPLE TIT!!!!

(edited by Jojo.8973)

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

If it’s red. It’s dead. You think there is mercy in war? I give no quarter when I lead.

You’re playing a video game, sport. You’re not at war.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

The irony… Are you under the impression you are playing EVE Online? Or maybe you think you are playing DOTA 2 competitively for a few million dollars at The International?

Newsflash GW2 is a low skilled, casual MMO, that makes great efforts to avoid “hardcore” sorts of gameplay, where WvW is about as “carebear” as you can get for any PvP mode, and you are playing it…

(edited by zinkz.7045)

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

I like the commanders that spawn camp a server, then cry there is nobody to fight………WHAT?

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Sounds like a concept that Mag would just laugh at as they spawn camp while taking everything by zerg force.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

The irony… Are you under the impression you are playing EVE Online? Or maybe you think you are playing DOTA 2 competitively for a few million dollars at The International?

Newsflash GW2 is a low skilled, casual MMO, that makes great efforts to avoid “hardcore” sorts of gameplay, where WvW is about as “carebear” as you can get for any PvP mode, and you are playing it…

I completely agree with you. Now for my 2 cents. Lol get ready!

While another MMORPG that no longer has to worry about GW2 as a competitor. Is basically weeks from releasing a PvP based expansion, with balance geared behind PvP which in turn is going to hurt it’s PvE community abit.
However this MMORPG heavily punishes the casual can’t be bother to learn how to play or put forth effort in getting good, type player base.
So I’m just going to say pick your poison.

A.) Casual, super zerg and troll friendly game.
B.) Super punishing, skill based, numbers without skill means very little game.
or
C.) quit gaming altogether.

So many complain about how the game is. Yet there are other offerings on the market that support what players are complaining about on these forums.
Could it be that inside these players are just being vocal against the things they actually love? And trying to get devs to implement things that they totally will hate? And if so then, is it that ANet knows this and pushes the game in the way. It current player base would actually like?

I mean ANet does have the metrics. I personally watch two of the most Hardcore WvW guilds on my server, and many ex friends try out skill based games. I even made them kitten low level crafted gear, and gave them many tips. They usually only last 2 to 3 weeks. Let me tell yall they all left me high and dry, and either came back to GW2, went to WoW, or stopped gaming altogether. So in the end ANet is actually doing yalls job for you all, and looking out for your best interest.

People talk about WvW imbalance yet refuse to destack servers, over bogus reasons. Lol I guess the only people these guys are fooling are themselves. And ANet knows it.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: GrahamW.5397

GrahamW.5397

While another MMORPG that no longer has to worry about GW2 as a competitor. Is basically weeks from releasing a PvP based expansion, with balance geared behind PvP which in turn is going to hurt it’s PvE community abit.
However this MMORPG heavily punishes the casual can’t be bother to learn how to play or put forth effort in getting good, type player base.

or

So many complain about how the game is. Yet there are other offerings on the market that support what players are complaining about on these forums.
Could it be that inside these players are just being vocal against the things they actually love? And trying to get devs to implement things that they totally will hate? And if so then, is it that ANet knows this and pushes the game in the way. It current player base would actually like?

I mean ANet does have the metrics. I personally watch two of the most Hardcore WvW guilds on my server, and many ex friends try out skill based games. I even made them kitten low level crafted gear, and gave them many tips. They usually only last 2 to 3 weeks. Let me tell yall they all left me high and dry, and either came back to GW2, went to WoW, or stopped gaming altogether. So in the end ANet is actually doing yalls job for you all, and looking out for your best interest.

People talk about WvW imbalance yet refuse to destack servers, over bogus reasons. Lol I guess the only people these guys are fooling are themselves. And ANet knows it.

So what do you propose these guilds on the “stacked” servers do? No one wants to xfer to a lower server especially not now when they are for the most part completely barren of any sort of structure or support for guilds and players. Not to mention lower match-ups are often dead in terms of fights, especially in the later time zones. Do you want the rest of the guilds playing wvw to die? Staying where your guild is healthy and engaged/having fun with guild wars 2 seems like a pretty valid reason to not transfer to me.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

or

So what do you propose these guilds on the “stacked” servers do? No one wants to xfer to a lower server especially not now when they are for the most part completely barren of any sort of structure or support for guilds and players. Not to mention lower match-ups are often dead in terms of fights, especially in the later time zones. Do you want the rest of the guilds playing wvw to die? Staying where your guild is healthy and engaged/having fun with guild wars 2 seems like a pretty valid reason to not transfer to me.

If your guild is truly looking for a fight and not just to crub stomp some already injured puppy. Yes I do. Take you and you guild and be the balance factor. But then again from my experience with the current GW2 WvWers. They have more fun just PvDing and camping servers in their spawn then complain why no one wants to fight them.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA… Imagine that players not wanting to ,spend time out of their day to deal with that nonsense. Who would’ve ever figured, right? The community is helping the devs in their task to see WvW burn.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Bigpapasmurf.5623

or

If your guild is truly looking for a fight and not just to crub stomp some already injured puppy. Yes I do. Take you and you guild and be the balance factor. But then again from my experience with the current GW2 WvWers. They have more fun just PvDing and camping servers in their spawn then complain why no one wants to fight them.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA… Imagine that players not wanting to ,spend time out of their day to deal with that nonsense. Who would’ve ever figured, right? The community is helping the devs in their task to see WvW burn.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA not as many people PvD or camp servers so I don’t know what tier you are in, but clearly its as toxic as your response. Maybe its time to move servers.

I can say with confidence that there are only 2…maybe 3 servers that are known to spawn camp so that leads me to believe you are either in t1 or t2 (as these servers bounce between the 2) and if I had to guess, i’d say you were also in a server that spawn camps as well…where its from your experience.

I can also say that my guild runs havoc and loves to PPK rather than PPT (although sometimes one leads to another which makes it more exciting). There are legit players/groups that hate spawn camping and PvD and ppl jumping on each other bodies or throwing siege on people (mainly seen in higher tier servers too mind you…so toxic they are. Maybe they need a snickers). but roam, take camps/towers and fight good fights or look for duels (ya know, the non toxic fun that actually exists for certain tiers).

(edited by Bigpapasmurf.5623)

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: GrahamW.5397

GrahamW.5397

or

So guilds spread out and then what? all you have is less fights and more dead zones which leads to more people just pvding and loss of interest. If i’m looking for a fight, why would I transfer away from where the most fights are? that would be an absolutely asinine thing to do. Now im just in a dead tier with 1 or 2 guilds who maybe want to fight and don’t necessarily run the same days or even the same time that I do, interest wanes as rallies just end up being pvd fests and people quit and the guild slowly dies. All for the sake of “balance”. Why people still suggest things like this when theres enough trouble now generating consistent fights in 1-2 tiers outside of 1 timezone is beyond me, the population clearly can’t handle it and would only lead to more people leaving and more population issues than we already have.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

People tend to get what they give in this game. If I’m fighting people who are respectful of duels etc, I’ll do the same, and I won’t attack low levels unless they attack me. If a server constantly interrupts duels and siege stomps, I’ll hunt individuals and bleed them out repeatedly for the next few hours. Like someone else said, be the change you wish to see.

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Bigpapasmurf.5623

People tend to get what they give in this game. If I’m fighting people who are respectful of duels etc, I’ll do the same, and I won’t attack low levels unless they attack me. If a server constantly interrupts duels and siege stomps, I’ll hunt individuals and bleed them out repeatedly for the next few hours. Like someone else said, be the change you wish to see.

Question, by low level, are you referring to low ranked players? I saw someone in a low ranked (Druid), however he had the Champion Hunter title, therefore he should know how to use his druid. Typically I dont like to fight/farm low levels (dont need them leaving WvW forever amirite?) but they will typically attack first (as the should, best way to learn is to go head first…until you learn sometimes its better not to,lol)

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Grimheart.2853

Grimheart.2853

Gotta love dem “edgy” commanders who usually do something like chase down single roamers with 15+ man zergs and think they’re actually “Merciless killing machines”.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Make it a sport, teach all your roamers, to pretend to “lone roamers caught off guard”, and make bets on who can lead them around the longest. Much fun to be had, when the commander realize that single “roamer” just baited him around the entire borderland once.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Choppy.4183

Make it a sport, teach all your roamers, to pretend to “lone roamers caught off guard”, and make bets on who can lead them around the longest. Much fun to be had, when the commander realize that single “roamer” just baited him around the entire borderland once.

I enjoy leading them off cliffs to their deaths. My record so far is a 5min me v 10 chase that ended with half of them dying before the other half realized that gravity was my friend and not theirs.

I also enjoy when people with the whole “red is dead” mentality roll up intent on disrupting peaceful duels only to have their kitten handed to them.

Edit: That “kitten’s” name is “Have a Nice Day”

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

zectra.6978

Gotta love dem “edgy” commanders who usually do something like chase down single roamers with 15+ man zergs and think they’re actually “Merciless killing machines”.

I was being sarcastic. Look who’s talking. Nuff said

Fort Aspenwood

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Not killing the player taking the camp goes against the spirit of the game (defending/taking objectives) and is probably the least-sportsman-like thing you can do. Ultimately, this is just how large-scale persistent combat environments work.

Whether or not that [design] is good for the game long-term is totally different.

That said, sending your group of 50 after a single guy repeatedly while he’s not taking something (just because he’s there) or camping spawn for the sake of slaughter starts reaching that limit of just being a jerk, unless retaliatory (a la spawncamping a your own BL border after a defense or reclaim of a keep from a very aggressive server; but that usually implies relatively large numbers from the enemies).

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

Question, by low level, are you referring to low ranked players? I saw someone in a low ranked (Druid), however he had the Champion Hunter title, therefore he should know how to use his druid. Typically I dont like to fight/farm low levels (dont need them leaving WvW forever amirite?) but they will typically attack first (as the should, best way to learn is to go head first…until you learn sometimes its better not to,lol)

Either or tbh. If I can plainly see they know their class (like if they’re attacking three other people solo because they can) then they’re fair game, but I normally wait for them to show they clearly want to fight me before engaging. You can normally tell by their guild tag (GANK tags are a giveaway), when they change direction to chase you, precast buffs or basilisk venom etc.

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

this post ws in reddit and didn’t work.

i just do what gives me experience and to my servers extra points. And that do not include lose camps.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Grimheart.2853

Grimheart.2853

I was being sarcastic. Look who’s talking. Nuff said

Your sarcasm was way too ambiguous and sounded too genuen. So yeah, this is not how you sarcasm, especially on the forum where it’s so bad that this kind of thought process may as well be an honest opinion of an individual.

And also, who’s “talking”, exactly? What’s your case against me? I’m quite interested to know.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

nop attack everything, let nothing leave alive.

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

They can go somewhere else to do their dailies…

9 Guardians later…

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I’m such a sportsman i let 15 low ranks cap my tier3 garri.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Choppy.4183

On topic, I regularly avoid stomping people who are obviously new to fighting real people or the game mode. I’ve also pulled them aside for duels and to give them advice on how to play better.

We need new people to stay in wvw, and the early learning curve (and resulting frustration) can be harsh. I’m also more interested in better fights than whatever garbage they’ll drop if I kill them.

Mercy & Sportsmanship

in WvW

Bigpapasmurf.5623

On topic, I regularly avoid stomping people who are obviously new to fighting real people or the game mode. I’ve also pulled them aside for duels and to give them advice on how to play better.

We need new people to stay in wvw, and the early learning curve (and resulting frustration) can be harsh. I’m also more interested in better fights than whatever garbage they’ll drop if I kill them.

Ive made some WvW friends by letting some ppl live (those not taking any camps ofc, sentries are ok). Good duels and good times. The odd time you will get that one person who doesn’t like to be shown respect and will burst you right after they get up but w/e…if that makes you feel better about losing a fight then thats your problem